Are Pier Runners a Thing of the Past?

I hope not!   They're so much fun to watch and giggle & point at as they frantically run & stagger back screaming!

I'll be in Cozumel in April .. a place known for it .. hope they don't let me down!  LOL 

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

No, why would they be?  We've only really ever seen them in Cozumel and Nassau and not every cruise.  We've been to Aruba and Curacao a couple of times and don't remember anyone being late in those ports.  Ports like Cozumel and Nassau have bars just close enough to the ship which is why it happens in those ports a lot.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They were out in full force on our Symphony cruise three weeks ago in Costa Maya.

Lots of swimsuits so I'm betting sitting at the pool bar in port before they had that "oh s**t" moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've taken a survey of every living (some not) person that has taken a cruise, is on a cruise and anyone that may take a cruise in the future.  What did I find?  Well, 99.04% of people that were or may be "Pier Runners" were "Pier Runners" because of their own doing. 

Yes, watching "Pier Runners" is probably better than any Comedy show that Royal ever produced, ever. 

If I ever become a "Pier Runner", please feel free to laugh as much as you want.  I deserve it.  I only ask that if you are taking pictures or video of me doing the "Pier Runner" tango, get my good side.

• Haha 13

Our excursion in Portland last week was late by a few minutes returning to the ship because of a drawbridge.  It was an RCCL excursion, so we weren't worried and they held the ship for us.  I did notice as we were walking down the pier, there were many people looking over balconies.  I figured they were just trying to get some video of "runners".  Sorry to have been a disappointment to them.  

• Like 4

I remember once in Bermuda the ship was pulling away from the dock. I was sitting on my balcony and heard shouting. Two young girls were running toward the ship. The captain actually backed up to get them. I’m guessing they were teenagers and had hysterical parents on board and the captain thought better of leaving them to their own resources on the island. 

15 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Our excursion in Portland last week was late by a few minutes returning to the ship because of a drawbridge.  It was an RCCL excursion, so we weren't worried and they held the ship for us.  I did notice as we were walking down the pier, there were many people looking over balconies.  I figured they were just trying to get some video of "runners".  Sorry to have been a disappointment to them.  

Exactly, you thought ahead, paid a little extra for the Royal Caribbean excursion and they held the ship for you and the others.  In that case I'd be walking down the pier with a smile on my face too.  It happened to us in Panama, actually 2.5 hours late.  I didn't rush or act/look like I was in a panic because I wasn't.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Makes me miss my youth!!!

The funniest thing or maybe I should say the tragic thing is that the tram is just sitting there as the driver (I assume) watch all those folks running in a panic.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We were on an RCCL excursion in St Lucia once that got back just a few minutes before sail away. There were about 25 of us. Of course, we weren't running to get to the ship but there were people on some of the balconies pointing and laughing as if we had done something wrong. I wasn't amused. Common sense would tell you if a large group is that late, it's most likely an RCCL excursion.

• Like 4

I have watched several episodes of Mighty Cruise Ships and invariably there is a guest or more late back to the ship.  I don't think guests understand that if the ship is late leaving, they may have to use more fuel to speed up to stay on track and that this adds to costs.  Plus, it's selfish to other guests.  I hope this doesn't happen to me.  I always try to be back early.  I don't want to get left behind!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Makes me miss my youth!!!

Not that we've ever been anywhere near late getting back, I would not be a pier "runner".  More like a "limper" with my knee.     

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I don't think anyone wants to see people left behind by the cruise ship. I certainly don't! But it is pretty entertaining watching people running to get back in time, especially if they are tipsy. 

Especially the inebriated ones, for sure.  As long as there is no physical injury involved.

• Like 2