Unusual/unpopular opinions

Drew B 58

16 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

I will add that on a cruise, you are typically already spending an awful lot of time with your travel companion(s).  Probably much more than you would in real life.  Engaging in conversation with them, you are unlikely to learn of new things, particularly things that could make the rest of your trip more enjoyable.  

When I have dined with just my travel companions, it tends to be a pretty quiet meal.  We’ve already exhausted most topics of conversation earlier in the day.  And an ice breaker like “What did you do today?” isn’t going to work because you already know what they did today!  At a shared table, it’s like you get to enjoy your own cruise AND live vicariously through someone else’s!

Your cynicism is noted but not shared.  We have been avid independent travelers and cruisers for about 50 years.  In that time, we have met lots of fascinating folks some of whom became long term friends.  i will confess that we seldom use "what did you do today?" as an ice breaker :).  Believe it or not but some folks can actually have fun and interesting conversations and even learn from each other.  

I would add that as very independent travelers we have learned a lot from other cruisers, be it at the dinner table, here on CC  or over cocktails in a lounge.   I would submit that if you are not learning new things, perhaps you are not listening :).   

Hank

• Like 2

Most onboard purchases and anything above an interior room is a waste of money. Especially alcohol packages. 

I don't want to share a dinner table with strangers I may not mesh with for 7 nights.

The constant complaining and obsession over what is "free" and what has a "fee" is incredibly annoying. Look at your bottom line.

I hate formal nights. A ruse to sell photos. I hate any kind of dressing up on a cruise. All casual and comfortable wear for me.

I don't care for too many sea days. The first one is a great time. The second one is enjoyable too. After that, it loses its luster. If the weather is bad, the day is ruined.

Cigar smoking is highly underrated. It's one of my sleeper favorites to enjoy on on the high seas. I wish cigar lounges were more of a thing.

Early, fixed, dining is the superior option. I love having my table ready, my same staff is ready to serve me, and I'm free to enjoy the rest of my night by 7:30-8

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Your cynicism is noted but not shared.  We have been avid independent travelers and cruisers for about 50 years.  In that time, we have met lots of fascinating folks some of whom became long term friends.  i will confess that we seldom use "what did you do today?" as an ice breaker :).  Believe it or not but some folks can actually have fun and interesting conversations and even learn from each other.  

I would add that as very independent travelers we have learned a lot from other cruisers, be it at the dinner table, here on CC  or over cocktails in a lounge.   I would submit that if you are not learning new things, perhaps you are not listening :).   

Hank

Hank, I think that you and DrewB8 are in violent agreement, not disagreement, unless I'm misunderstanding his post.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I think you misunderstood my post.  If not, your response makes no sense.  I’m all for shared tables because of all you learn from the fun and interesting conversations with others!

Edited by Drew B 58
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

I think you misunderstood my post.  If not, your response makes no sense.  I’m all for shared tables because of all you learn from the fun and interesting conversations with others!

My bad.  On the other hand, I would never say/admit to not learning new things from DW :).

Hank

• Haha 2

We will never do assigned dining again. We want to eat where and when and if we feel like it. 

We don’t care what other people wear but we dress up for dinner in what we’d wear to a nice restaurant at home unless we are going to the buffet. 

I don’t care who the captain is. Or the CD or the bartenders. 

We never sit out on the pool deck. 

We have a fun cruise no matter how the food is, how the entertainment is, etc etc. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

I will add that on a cruise, you are typically already spending an awful lot of time with your travel companion(s).  Probably much more than you would in real life.  Engaging in conversation with them, you are unlikely to learn of new things, particularly things that could make the rest of your trip more enjoyable.  

When I have dined with just my travel companions, it tends to be a pretty quiet meal.  We’ve already exhausted most topics of conversation earlier in the day.  And an ice breaker like “What did you do today?” isn’t going to work because you already know what they did today!  At a shared table, it’s like you get to enjoy your own cruise AND live vicariously through someone else’s!

Yes, hearing the experiences of others can be fun and educational. And you might even get an idea of what to do in the next port.

• Haha 1

Just some of what I have gathered from this thread. Lots of pondering and head-scratching.

- Never risk losing your independence when cruising, even though your autonomy depends on doing just that.

-- Do not dine with or around strange drunkards, except maybe at breakfast, nothing good can come from it and the food quality is severely compromised.

- If you don’t want to get sick, don’t go on a long cruise.

- Do not book cabins under “public areas”. Technically, all decks are public areas. A lawn chair on the pool deck might work.

- Cabins just forward of aft-center, inside-out, on decks 3 thru 6 with a round window and no contents, work best in mild to rough seas when cruising to parts unknown.

- Stay clear of “uniformed” folks. Their presence onboard is superfluous and they certainly don’t care about you.

- Thank goodness the temperature level on a ship is not below zero.

- Sorely needed, a “nude deck” where folks can relax in the cruising altogether while enjoying a cigar and favorite liquor. Strangers welcome but be careful.

- Do away with all entertainment. Too many guests are unable to know or appreciate talent when they see it. Fill the auditorium and ad-lib.

- No buffets, no dining rooms. Book your cruise, pack your meals.

- Do not disregard anyone’s shape or size.

- Usually, it is not pleasant when facing someone’s aft. Other times however……

There seems to be lots of “hate” on cruises. And yet, folks keep coming back for more. Strange Bedfellows.

And on, and on, and….  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Sorely needed, a “nude deck” where folks can relax in the cruising altogether while enjoying a cigar and favorite liquor

I think you must have misinterpreted  this one. Smoking in the nude is very risky- a dropped hot ash could result in a most unfortunate and uncomfortable  consequence. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, mom says said:

I think you must have misinterpreted  this one. Smoking in the nude is very risky- a dropped hot ash could result in a most unfortunate and uncomfortable  consequence. 😉

I misinterpret nothing, mom, whether "real life" or a fantasy world.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

Unusual things I don’t like:

Nighttime shows. We went once or twice; never again. I would remove the gigantic show space for things more active or outside. 

Buffets: I just say no

Not exactly a dislike but, cruise directors. I’ve never met one and have no interest in anything they seem to promote or do. Reminds me of summer camp for children.

Shipwide announcements other than necessary drills or information about ports. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Just some of what I have gathered from this thread. Lots of pondering and head-scratching.

- Sorely needed, a “nude deck” where folks can relax in the cruising altogether while enjoying a cigar and favorite liquor. Strangers welcome but be careful.

A few cruise lines used to allow topless sunbathing on a discrete upper deck, but I think this has all but disappeared from US - based cruises.  However, it still does exist on some European cruise lines.  For those in the USA that want nudism, there are still some nudist cruises where you can sunbathe, nude, just about anywhere.  There is one such cruise departing on a Carnival ship in February.

Hank

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A few cruise lines used to allow topless sunbathing on a discrete upper deck, but I think this has all but disappeared from US - based cruises.  However, it still does exist on some European cruise lines.  For those in the USA that want nudism, there are still some nudist cruises where you can sunbathe, nude, just about anywhere.  There is one such cruise departing on a Carnival ship in February.

Hank

Leave it to Carnival to "know what's happenin'."

11 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Leave it to Carnival to "know what's happenin'."

A few years ago, we chatted with a friendly crew member who had recently worked on a nudist cruise.  He told us it was quite interesting (yes, the crew did keep their clothes on).  He also mentioned it was far better than when he worked on a cruise chartered by a religious group that frowned on alcohol.  Our friend was working as a bar waiter and part of his compensation normally comes from tips added to drink prices.  On that "teetotaler" cruise there were some adjustments made in his compensation, but he made significantly less money.  

Hank

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A few years ago, we chatted with a friendly crew member who had recently worked on a nudist cruise.  He told us it was quite interesting (yes, the crew did keep their clothes on).  He also mentioned it was far better than when he worked on a cruise chartered by a religious group that frowned on alcohol.  Our friend was working as a bar waiter and part of his compensation normally comes from tips added to drink prices.  On that "teetotaler" cruise there were some adjustments made in his compensation, but he made significantly less money.  

Hank

Halleluyah!

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

And he never got to know any passengers.

We were once at a wedding (actually college friends of DW who decided to get married after attending our wedding). He was Irish and his family from Brooklyn. Her family were members of a tee totaling religious sect. The wedding was way upstate in NY. The family from Brooklyn all came by bus so did not have to drive. They did their "non tee totaling" on the bus. It was interesting to see the culture clash.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

🤔 Where do the nudists carry all those one dollar bills used for tipping? 🤔 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

A well-positioned fanny pack does the job, in more ways than one. Are we done with unusual/unpopular opinions? I can't imagine we are. 

It's always great when the actual subject matter experts grace us with their unique hands on experiences.   🤔    Or should that be, butts on experiences? 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

DH and I are in agreement on all of these:

- We prefer to book the ship's shore excursions. 

- We don't drink much, so never buy the drink packages.

- We like the buffets.

- We don't go on cruises to meet new people. We go on cruises to spend time together without work and other interruptions.

- We do not eat at shared tables. Tried that the first few cruises and decided it was a big NOPE for us.

- We don't care who the captain is, and don't need to meet him. In fact, we don't need to get to know any of the crew. We will treat them with kindness and tip them well, but we don't need to know their life story.

- We don't care to go to any of the theater productions. Would rather catch a comedy show or walk around the open decks enjoying the evening sea breeze and night sky.

- We will only book balcony cabins, and spend a lot of time on it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We will treat them with kindness and tip them well, but we don't need to know their life story.

This I appreciate! It's a wee bit annoying waiting for service when a fellow passenger is "getting to know" a crew member. I've had this happen on land and sea. I'm waiting to order while the table next to us is grilling the wait staff on their life story. Please just let them do their jobs!

• Like 6