APPALLING EXPERIENCE ABOARD CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

--mollyb--

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't know if this backs up what you're reporting, but I don't think wanting to leave the ship without the need to go directly to a local medical facility for treatment would constitute a medical evacuation or necessary disembarkation.

Regardless of whether it was a medical evacuation or a "necessary disembarkation", it would still violate the CTA, and the line would likely get fined.  Not sure how the appeal process works in Canada, so they could apply for a waiver/exemption based on circumstances.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

paperwork left in the cabin on embarkation.

So you got written instructions on what to do if possible covid? I wonder why she didn't. If I was OP I'd also be frustrated if I didn't have written instructions (FWIW I've had something - can't recall what - on 6 post restart cruises. Never saved paper so my bad)

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

So you got written instructions on what to do if possible covid? I wonder why she didn't. If I was OP I'd also be frustrated if I didn't have written instructions (FWIW I've had something - can't recall what - on 6 post restart cruises. Never saved paper so my bad)

Yes, we did.  When we boarded in NYC on 9/20 it was part of the embarkation paperwork waiting in the cabin on the bed along with the schedule for when the Captain's Circle Party would be held, the location and hours for the Platinum/Elite Lounge, etc.  I stuck it up on the wall with a magnet and saved it on the off chance I might need it.  Maybe the difference was we started in NYC and they started in Canada?  I don't know - like I said the only consistent thing with Princess is inconsistency.

We also received a letter from the medical department the night before disembarkation (10/9) detailing that husband had tested positive during the cruise, been isolated, had subsequently tested negative and was cleared for travel along with documentation of the type of tests that had been administered to both of us.  These letters were provided without our having to request them, they just showed up on the bed when we returned from dinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Why did the original poster call 911 instead of just calling the medical center?  Isn't 911 for emergency calls?  I would hate to think someone was having a heart attack or some other horrible thing, and the people were tied up with someone reporting that they tested positive with Covid.

I think the ship has more than one person to deal with emergencies.

5 hours ago, BabySarge said:

To the OP:  First, I hope you and your spouse have recovered from your bout with COVID and are doing well at this point and secondly, my husband and I were also on that same voyage only doing it as a b2b that started on 9/20 in NYC and after leaving Quebec on 10/1 he woke up with a dreadful sore throat, cough and fever on the morning of 10/2 at which time I also called 911 as instructed on the paperwork left in the cabin on embarkation. He tested positive and I tested negative (I continued to test negative until 2 days after we returned home) and I can say from that point until we disembarked in NYC on 10/10 our experience with the medical, guest services, room service, and cabin stewards was like night and day from yours.  I say this not to be a smartarse, negate your experience in any way, or rub your nose in things but to point out once again that unfortunately oftentimes the only consistent thing with Princess is their inconsistency.  

Again, I do hope you both have recovered now, and I am sorry your experiences were so different from ours.  Wishing you all the best.

It also might have to do with ones attitude, how they communicate with the ships personnel, and their willingness to work through issues.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:08 PM, ldubs said:

I hope an emergency appeal, like a death in the family, would result in a favorable outcome.  I can't imagine someone being forced to stay on board for several days after learning the death of a loved one.  

Granted this happened in April 2007……

There was a death in our family back in the Los Los Angeles area while on a Caribbean cruise.   We disembarked in St. Kitts to make our way back to Los Angeles.    We were never charged an additional fee to disembark.   Princess staff helped us get off the ship and transferred us to local authorities.    We boarded our plane and made it home safely.   Our travel insurance took care of everything once submitted a claim.   We were never “held prisoner “.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cattolica said:

Granted this happened in April 2007……

There was a death in our family back in the Los Los Angeles area while on a Caribbean cruise.   We disembarked in St. Kitts to make our way back to Los Angeles.    We were never charged an additional fee to disembark.   Princess staff helped us get off the ship and transferred us to local authorities.    We boarded our plane and made it home safely.   Our travel insurance took care of everything once submitted a claim.   We were never “held prisoner “.  

The key is you got off in St Kitts, not a US port.  The PVSA fine occurs if you board the ship in one port and then disembark the ship in another US port without visiting a far distant US port.  Clearly not the situation with you example.  The same would be in Canada if you board at one Canadian city then disembark at another without satisfying their equivalent law.

Even then for you to disembark in St Kitts the ship had to agree, as well as the immigration  authorities in St Kitts.  Which from your story the ship was clearly aware and provided assistance so those actions clearly occurred, just not ones you were aware of.

32 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The key is you got off in St Kitts, not a US port.  The PVSA fine occurs if you board the ship in one port and then disembark the ship in another US port without visiting a far distant US port.  Clearly not the situation with you example.  The same would be in Canada if you board at one Canadian city then disembark at another without satisfying their equivalent law.

Even then for you to disembark in St Kitts the ship had to agree, as well as the immigration  authorities in St Kitts.  Which from your story the ship was clearly aware and provided assistance so those actions clearly occurred, just not ones you were aware of.

Ok, thanks….it was very traumatic.    I was just sharing.    

I am just happy we aren’t cruising anymore.   So, we don’t have to worry about getting off the ships.  

Edited by cattolica
More information.

3 hours ago, cattolica said:

I am just happy we aren’t cruising anymore.   

😕😕😕 so why here? 😕😕😕

Temporary break or migrated to land based trips only??

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

I think these written instruction were whom to contact if you suspected you had Covid.

I do not think these were what the OP was expecting after having Covid:

o Options for getting meals to the cabin

o Instructions for disembarkation day if still have Covid

o Information of reimbursement for missed cruise days while in isolation and for quarantine expenses (hotel and food) if necessary after the cruise ended.

o Options for rescheduling flights home

o etc.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, Ombud said:

Doesn't Paxlovid require script?? Can you imagine the medical malpractice lawsuit if the steward or another non medical person gave someone paxlovid and there was an adverse reaction? (Practicing medicine w/o livense)

The ship's medical center carrie Paxloid and should have been prescribed by ship's doctor.  Acute failure not to do so.

6 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The ship's medical center carrie Paxloid and should have been prescribed by ship's doctor.  Acute failure not to do so.

And you know more about the patient's medical histories than the ship's doctor did?  Sometimes doctors don't prescribe some medications for a reason.

• Like 7

There appears to be one consistent theme across all these post, and that the failure of Princess to manage and care for passengers and the deterioration of Princess operations since the beginning of the COVID pandemic.  

Earlier this year we sailed on Sky across the Pond and experienced this deterioration.  By the end of the cruise COVID was rampant throughout (although we did not catch it and neither did our friends also sailing in a suite).  We missed several ports, to include the reason we took the cruise, a visit to Morocco.  Princess was well aware they would not be allowed to moor in Casablanca before the cruise started, yet never informed us passengers.  Food on board was marginal, especially in the specialty restaurants.  

Our friends just returned from Enchanted in Alaska and reported that conditions had gone for bad to worse, especially the food.  Cleanliness was marginal and many caught COVID-19 during the cruise.  "Entertainment" was terrible.

Princess appears to have changed from a customer friendly cruise line to one focused solely on recovering monies "lost" during the pandemic.  Not good.  And, yes, we have sworn off ever cruising with Princess again.

Many mentioned the "contract" with Princess.  Likely if anyone actually read ie pre-cruise they would choose to not board.  Funny thing about contracts - they go both ways.  Princess has a responsibility to care for passengers which some fail to point out.  Princess is in business solely to make money and not be your friend.  The bottom line is the paramount objective.  Mistreating passengers on a case basis doesn't really cost them anything.

Be aware, be very aware, cruising with Princess.

Our next cruise is with Oceania and expect better treatment.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

There appears to be one consistent theme across all these post, and that the failure of Princess to manage and care for passengers and the deterioration of Princess operations since the beginning of the COVID pandemic.  

Earlier this year we sailed on Sky across the Pond and experienced this deterioration.  By the end of the cruise COVID was rampant throughout (although we did not catch it and neither did our friends also sailing in a suite).  We missed several ports, to include the reason we took the cruise, a visit to Morocco.  Princess was well aware they would not be allowed to moor in Casablanca before the cruise started, yet never informed us passengers.  Food on board was marginal, especially in the specialty restaurants.  

Our friends just returned from Enchanted in Alaska and reported that conditions had gone for bad to worse, especially the food.  Cleanliness was marginal and many caught COVID-19 during the cruise.  

Princess appears to have changed from a customer friendly cruise line to one focused solely on recovering monies "lost" during the pandemic.  Not good.  And, yes, we have sworn off ever cruising with Princess again.

Many mentioned the "contract" with Princess.  Likely if anyone actually read ie pre-cruise they would choose to not board.  Funny thing about contracts - they go both ways.  Princess has a responsibility to care for passengers which some fail to point out.  Princess is in business solely to make money and not be your friend.  The bottom line is the paramount objective.  Mistreating passengers on a case basis doesn't really cost them anything.

You mentioned Enchanted in Alaska, right? 
I board Enchanted in Brooklyn this Saturday- maybe you are confused.

I was on Discovery Princess for an Alaska cruise in May this year.  The food we had was excellent, plentiful.  Service was excellent. 

Guess it really varies, doesn’t it?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, caribill said:

I think these written instruction were whom to contact if you suspected you had Covid.

I do not think these were what the OP was expecting after having Covid:

o Options for getting meals to the cabin

o Instructions for disembarkation day if still have Covid

o Information of reimbursement for missed cruise days while in isolation and for quarantine expenses (hotel and food) if necessary after the cruise ended.

o Options for rescheduling flights home

o etc.

No, you are correct they did not explain anything about disembarkation or reimbursement, etc.  I do think though that if my husband or myself had still been ill/positive as the time of disembarkation drew near, we would have received information regarding those issues; but I cannot swear to it.   However, they did explain about testing, isolation, when to call medical, etc. and in telephone conversation with both the ships doctor and guest services explanation was given regarding options for meals and that there would be no charge for meals from any venue.  The doctor inquired about our vaccination and booster status, what medications my husband was on, if we needed any medication from them which we declined as we brought our own OTC medications which the doctor said were the same as what she would have prescribed if needed.  I have some medical training so felt quite comfortable with the treatment plan at the onset and as the days progressed but would not have hesitated one second to ring the alarm bell if my husband's condition had taken a turn for the worse.  He is the single most important person in my life, and I am like a dog with a bone where his health is concerned.

In all honesty I didn't even think about reimbursement for missed cruise days until just the other day, it just never occurred to me.  But we had the Princess insurance, so I have sent an inquiry regarding the viability of filing a claim.  If we can, great.  If we can't, no worries.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Don't forget to read the contract

Edited by billco
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

And you know more about the patient's medical histories than the ship's doctor did?  Sometimes doctors don't prescribe some medications for a reason.

When we tested positive on the Royal in August they went over our medical history with us and did blood tests for kidney and liver functions before they prescribed Paxlovid 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a nerd. I read contracts. That's why I knew it was there. I regret that I toss that instruction sheet on what to do if I test positive but will continue:

> living in the real world

> stocking fridge on embarkation

> enjoying my balcony if positive

> reading contract for updates before boarding

Hoping you're over it now @--mollyb--

Edited by Ombud
Tagged wrong mollyb
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

When we tested positive on the Royal in August they went over our medical history with us and did blood tests for kidney and liver functions before they prescribed Paxlovid 

WOW.....what did they charge ???

It is a minimum of $500. pp and with the ship markup......

6 minutes ago, Shippy said:

WOW.....what did they charge ???

It is a minimum of $500. pp and with the ship markup......

The Paxlovid was $750 plus price of blood test and Came to just under $1,000. Waiting on reimbursement from my health provider now

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Our friends just returned from Enchanted in Alaska and reported that conditions had gone for bad to worse, especially the food.  Cleanliness was marginal and many caught COVID-19 during the cruise.  "Entertainment" was terrible.

Rats, I booked a Princess cruise about an hour ago!  If only I had known.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Rats, I booked a Princess cruise about an hour ago!  If only I had known.

Hoping you get these shows:20220913_120101.thumb.jpg.a172cee2a66c459aa19d12724e2b7e1d.jpg

returned from Enchanted Princess Transatlantic September 17, 2022 and the shows just keep getting better

• Like 2

Just now, Ombud said:

Hoping you get these shows:20220913_120101.thumb.jpg.a172cee2a66c459aa19d12724e2b7e1d.jpg

returned from Enchanted Princess Transatlantic September 17, 2022 and the shows just keep getting better

Thank you, those look interesting.  I usually enjoy the production shows Princess puts on; we've been doing Celebrity cruises for the last few years so I'm sure we'll be seeing new shows this time around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Thank you, those look interesting.  I usually enjoy the production shows Princess puts on; we've been doing Celebrity cruises for the last few years so I'm sure we'll be seeing new shows this time around.

If you are a vegetarian they now have a separate vegetarian menu with the best onion soup!!