The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 25th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Howl at the Moon Night, International Artist Day, and Punk for a Day Day

Promise me you'll always remember; You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.--Carter Crocker

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken-Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers
Drink of the Day - Tree Trimmer
Wine of the Day - Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Nicolas Francois Brut 2007
Destination of the Day - Ashdod (Jerusalem), Israel

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 10/26

Koningsdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 08:00 - 14:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Moorea Island, Society Islands, French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Sarande, Albania 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination New York eta 10/26

Volendam

Santorini Island, Thira, Greece 10:00 - 20:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Rades, Tunisia eta 10/26

Westerdam

Noumea, New Caledonia 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Nuku Alofa

1025World.thumb.png.ed7b1ab3a2767ad760a8bbabf1be95a0.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another nice day for us, a high of 20°C (68°F) and sunny this afternoon.  Our usual temperature for this time of year is only 10°C.

I'm getting my flu shot this morning, not sure what else I'll get up to.

I don't think I'll howl at the moon tonight, I'm not an artist and I don't like punk music.  I guess these days are not for me.

I love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe. 

Hope the drink and wine are good.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I won't be howling at the moon tonight and not sure what Punk day is but I do like the quote.

We had the new AC unit installed yesterday so everything is back to normal in our household. Most of the remnants of Ian have been removed from the streets in our area but we took a drive the other day and there's a nice manufactured home community with a great executive golf course about a mile from us and that place took a beating, mounds and mounds of destruction piled up on just about every inch of the perimeter of the community, what a mess. 

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 26

5 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great day!

Happy sweet 16 Anniversary to my wife. Here are some photos from our wedding at Smith's Cove, Grand Caymans.

Wedding_pt2 101.jpg

Wedding_pt1 090.jpg

Wedding_pt1 092.jpg

Wedding_pt2 158.jpg

Wedding_pt2 162.jpg

Congrats on your anniversary!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunny 16°C  North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Interesting days.

Howling at the moon is a waste of time.

I am a useless artist but some of my Italian ancestors from the Venice renaissance period were well known.

Punk music is not my thing although I sold some punk music in the 1980s.

Smart quote.

Nice food but no idea about the drink.

Best wishes for everyone on Roy's lists.

Graham.

IMG_20221025_114151.jpg

• Like 27

9 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great day!

Happy sweet 16 Anniversary to my wife. Here are some photos from our wedding at Smith's Cove, Grand Caymans.

Wedding_pt2 101.jpg

Wedding_pt1 090.jpg

Wedding_pt1 092.jpg

Wedding_pt2 158.jpg

Wedding_pt2 162.jpg

Happy 16th anniversary.

Lovely photos.

Graham.

16BAE748-7629-449F-AB37-968AF0377626.gif.473208a51bb791858c0f250666388322.gif

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!!

I love the quote.  Not sure about the food or the drink, but I'm waiting to see what the wine is. I've never been to the port. 

Today I am headed to a book store to pick up the newest Patricia Cornwell and Lee Child books.

Mu husband and I have decided we want a third cat, so we are going to  the local humane society to look at the cats up for adoption. We looked at their online pictures and they have a LOT of cats available. 

• Like 22

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

I will happily celebrate International Artist Day but I think I’ll pass on the others 😉. I like today’s quote - very similar to something I have heard at grief counselling.

We were lucky enough to get to Ashdod when it was safe to go.  Our timing was so lucky.  When we got home trouble had already broken out and no cruise ship was going.

2826483C-0BC8-405F-B127-6B9A3AB222C6.jpeg.f478afdf36f3471efa9d266f453b6aee.jpeg

Well, at least one problem is solved.  My bar code is now on my boarding pass 👏 Navigator still has the error but at least I have something I can show.  I guess the other problem will have to be escalated 😔 

@seagarsmokerhappy 16th anniversary!

C73C4D37-0203-4D88-AF2B-B52C640917FE.jpeg.de5cc1f11a1a48b4aa052e63eb71ce15.jpeg

spent the day yesterday trying to pack.  (I realized why I was having such a tough time - I’m only packing for one 😔) I think I failed if the long range forecast holds - looks like it is going to be a lot warmer than it should be.  I will have to rethink today, I think - or just say to heck with it 😉 

Busy day with appointments and too much left to do but I still send prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!

BFA49021-4BEB-436F-85E8-24E42EFBFF49.jpeg.02c1473140c220b778d2da27e0b16af1.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when/where needed.

• Like 35
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Yesterday’s visit to the vet went well.  No shots for them this year so it was just a wellness check.  @4966and556 congratulations on deciding to adopt a cat from the shelter, he or she will be happy to have a furrever home.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I look forward to pictures and recipes.  @kazu I’m glad to hear that the boarding pass bar code appeared.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.dd0bad3ca2953796d13fca27a60d4b77.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 6

Thank you for the Tuesday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  Not sure if International Artist Day is a celebration of International Artists or an International celebration of artists but either way is good.  I'll pass on howling at the moon.  I was thinking more of clothing and hair cuts for Punk for a Day.  I love the Crocker quote.  I was in Ashdod just once on the Crystal Serenity in 2010.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche, Salisbury Steak, and Mango Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 25, 2017:

dishes25.jpg

Today’s care list:

Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Cruisin Terri getting EMG
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri back in hospital after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH second surgery and rehab
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
Grapau27 with hip x=ray tommorow (but before the Wednesday Daily comes out
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary segarsmoker
Cograts Mishi Sunak
A new Ellie photo
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades
New AC for Mister67
Aliaschief off for a river cruise
Bon Voyage Norseh20 (Sirena to 11/18)
Welcome home (or to quarantine) HAL4NOW
Welcome home Ancient Wanderer
Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,Cruisin Single  (American Star  to 10/30),  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3)  and Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Looks like another lovely day here. 
Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! 

Heading out with Bindi a bit late. She slept in this morning. 😎. Will check back later. 

D89A76EF-AB33-4C5F-AAA1-4540D431A269.jpeg.7fa98998d294bbfcccf2e65fc44496ac.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, praying you and Steve slept well and his rehab road is a smooth one! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Nicolas Francois Brut 2007

When the lowest of five critics’ ratings is 96, you know you are in for something special. So if your budget permits, or perhaps for a very special occasion you might want to pick a bottle up. I would love to try this one. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $134.99. 

Winemaker Notes

Its vinification, partially in traditional oak casks, underpins the generous character of this fine, elegant and rich wine. A beautiful golden yellow, glinting with bright sparkles. The glittering, crystalline appearance is set off by an eruption of finely chiseled bubbles. A balanced tension is achieved by the blossoming of the wine (peaches in syrup, fine apple tart, and mountain butter) and embodied in the noble flavors that follow (fresh fig and wild berries). It combines all the richness of an aromatic curve, both complex and refreshing. Intense, fine notes of orchard fruits, associated with the character of stone fruits (Mirabelle plum and sweet cherry) and accentuated by the burst of a long floral note (hawthorn). This tense and mineral vintage, characterized by an elegant vinosity, offers you all the distinction of a well-aged Champagne.

Served at cellar temperature (11° to 12°), this cuvée will reveal the flavors of a Bresse roast chicken or a delicious milk-fed veal chop with chanterelle mushrooms.

WW98 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The 2007 Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Nicolas François Brut Champagne commands attention. This outstanding wine is beginning its life in the marketplace. It is active and bright in its aromas and flavors with apple, chalk, tart citrus, and bright minerality. Enjoy it with late-night, pristine sashimi, and conversation with friends. 
JS97 James Suckling

This is a laser-guided Champagne with fabulous energy and intensity with a tight palate, racy acidity and super fine phenolics. It goes on and on. Fine bubbles. Light pine and praline character. One for the cellar. 60% pinot noir and 40% chardonnay. Disgorged 19 July, 2020. Wonderful now, but needs time to come together. Better from 2024 onwards.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

This beautiful Champagne is amazingly at its peak. Not too mature, not too young, the wine is in fine balance, showing some nervy edge as well as touches of toast. With a small amount of wood vinification, the wine has an extra fullness. Drink through 2025.

V97 Vinous

The 2007 Brut Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart is positively stellar. Elegant, polished and sophisticated, the 2007 dazzles with effusive aromatics and gorgeous balance. It's not an obvious wine, though, but rather a Champagne built for long, patient cellaring. The 2007 is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay taken from Mareuil-sur-Aÿ, Ambonnay, Verzenay and Verzy for the Pinots and Chouilly, Avize, Cramant and Mesnil for the Chardonnays. In other words, as good as it gets for villages. The wine was done mostly in tank with about 15% of the lots vinified in oak. Dosage is 6 grams per liter. (Originally published in May 2021) 

RP96 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2007 Brut Cuvée Nicolas François continues to show beautifully, wafting from the glass with scents of sweet orchard fruit, citrus oil, clear honey, white flowers, buttery pastry and warm biscuits. Medium to full-bodied, fleshy and incisive, with racy acids, a vibrant core of fruit and a pillowy, elegant profile, it concludes with a long, penetrating finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

Good morning friends!  I have exercised, eaten breakfast, said my prayers and need to shower and get ready for our dental appointments.  Not much time to dawdle.  Thanks to everyone for their contributions here each day.  I hope Lenda and Steve will have good reports for us today.  Happy anniversary to @seagarsmokerand the Mrs.   A big shoutout to all on Roy's Celebration list today.  

Ashdod, Israel is the port of the day and here is the link for the last time we saw it, April 29, 2021.

I went to Ashdod in 2014 on our Holy Land cruise on the Prinsendam.  It was our first voyage on Holland America and it was Black Sea and Holy Land B2B.  We were originally booked on the Ocean Princess to go to the Black Sea and the Holy Land but due to political unrest that year Princess cancelled Egypt ports and most of the Black Sea ports and just substituted Greek Isles ports instead.  So we cancelled them and took a chance on the Prinsendam, and loved it!

In Ashdod on October 26, 2014 we immediately left the port for our drive to Jerusalem.  I only have a few photos around the ship of the tugs, etc.  This is about all you can expect from there.  Maybe someone else has spent more time there and can give you an overview of the town.enhance

Arriving at an overlook of the city of Jerusalem we stopped to listen to our guide and take in the view.

enhance

enhance

According to my notes we next stopped at the Church of All Nations, also known as the Basilica of the Agony.  It's a Roman Catholic church located on the Mount of Olives next to the Garden of Gethsemane.  enhance

The church has beautiful murals on its facade.  enhance

The olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane are many hundreds of years old.enhance

enhance

Seen off to the side and on the hillside slightly above the Basilica of the Agony, is the Church of St. Mary Magdalene.  This is one of Jerusalem's most picturesque sights due to its seven gilded onion domes, each topped by a tall Russian Orthodox cross.enhance

Interior of the Basilica including the high altar overlooking a large slab of rock, which is said to be the very rock on which Jesus prayed in agony on the night of his betrayal.enhance

I borrowed this photo of the rock because mine was blurry.enhance

We got on the bus to move on to view the Catholic Cemetery, but I got this photo of the Basilica and the Church of St. Mary Magdalene from the road next to the cemetery.  Gives you a good perspective.enhance

The Catholic Cemeteryenhance

And here is the Tower of David, Jerusalem's citadel, located near the Jaffa Gate on the western side of the old city wall.enhance

Continuing in Jerusalem, we got off the bus and walked through the Jaffa Gate, walking past stalls and shops.  enhance

Entrance to a convent.enhance

enhance

Very well worn stone pathways.enhance

There was a huge gift shop we were allowed to look around in for some time but I stayed outside most of the time taking photos of fountains and small stalls.  From there we walked to the Holy Sepulchre Church which is believed to be the site where Jesus Christ was crucified and buried.enhance

enhance

enhance

Inside the Church we saw the Crucifixion Altarenhance

and the Tomb of Jesusenhance

We continued on with the tour for several more hours and I have a lot more photos but wanted to cut to the end where we went to the Wailing Wall (also known as the Western Wall). enhance

The area was divided with women on one half and men on the other.enhance

From there we walked back through a different gate to our bus and the drive back to our new home away from home, the Prinsendam.  There really is too much to see and learn about on these tours so it is somewhere we should try to visit again.  It was the same way in Haifa when we went to Nazareth and the Jordan River.  I recommend a Holy Land cruise to everyone.  

Sorry this post is so long!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

We just got back from a tour of the olive farm. 6,500 olive trees produce 66,000 bottles of olive oil per year. They made us some wonderful tamponade served with homemade wine.

Tonight a Scenic Line exclusive we are having dinner in the huge dining hall of the Papal Palace in Avignon. Hope the pictures download this time. We were in the dining room yesterday and it will be a great experience and will be interesting seeing  it furnished for dining and a musical ensemble.

Merci Beaucoupe for the Report and List.

Au Voir.

image.thumb.jpeg.522fb5322d8cb7981bf955115938b1ba.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b1cf2c278e6cfe8db7fa91f303ac1cd0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e203b96fe1494cb2f8b6b90ebbcedd8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9efb0e6662de2e57eae5241eadd583a.jpeg

This is the Grand Papal Dining Hall.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

A quick good morning from central Texas before I get to going.  I need to run to W-M to get a glasses case for DH, since the one I had set aside to bring never got packed.

If I thought howling at the moon would help, I'd be out there doing a coyote imitation.  I salute international artists, but not punk.

I know it was just chance, but today's quote seems made for me just now.  After the past two weeks and yesterday, I'm feeling drained both mentally and physically.  While there were many comments I wanted to make yesterday and probably for some days to come,  I just didn't have the mental energy.  Please know I will have time to read the Fleet/Daily but posting may be another issue.  However, I will celebrate all those who are celebrating and support all who need our support.

We were in Ashdod overnight in 2017 on Prinsendam, and I posted pictures of our stay on April 29, 2021.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, since copying and pasting is difficult on my tablet (the pictures don't tranfer), could you find my posts of pictures of the port of the day and repost them for me while I don't have access to my computer.  BTW, please feel free to correct any mistakes. 😁

I did manage to get some sleep but kept waking up often.  I guess there's too much on my mind.  Maybe tonight will be better.

Again, and I sound like a broken record, thank all of you for your concern, good wishes and support.  They are more help than you know.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Extremely upset this morning.  Received an email from HAL that Yellow Fever vac is now required for Devil's Island.  Very frustrating at this late date.  Not sure what to do.

Dixie

there used to be a site where you could search for yellow fever vaccination sites by zip code. Ideally you get it 10 days before visiting Devils Island. One of my neighbor’s sons got one at his local Walgreen.

It might be pricey, but…

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Extremely upset this morning.  Received an email from HAL that Yellow Fever vac is now required for Devil's Island.  Very frustrating at this late date.  Not sure what to do.

YIKES!  Your cruise is quite soon, isn’t it?  Can your physician provide it or a travel place?

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I know it was just chance, but today's quote seems made for me just now.  After the past two weeks and yesterday, I'm feeling drained both mentally and physically.  While there were many comments I wanted to make yesterday and probably for some days to come,  I just didn't have the mental energy.  Please know I will have time to read the Fleet/Daily but posting may be another issue.  However, I will celebrate all those who are celebrating and support all who need our support.

So sorry you are feeling that way but it is understandable and our bodies and minds can only take so much.  It takes a toll on us.  I am the same at times.  Never fear - we know you are with us just as we are with you ♥️. Don’t feel pressured to post and focus on you and take care of yourself.  Hoping you feel much better soon 🙏 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Dixie, I just read a forwarded email from HAL that my TA received about the Yellow Fever vaccination.  We have had it already in 2018.  However, here is what it says you can do if you haven't had one.

Guests ages 60 and above may obtain a waiver on board. If you have a medical contraindication to the vaccine, you must bring a signed vaccine exemption letter issued by a licensed medical doctor.

I'd ask my doctor first about an exemption letter, and then if all else fails get one on board the ship.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  When DH still had the family farm, we'd go out in the middle of the yard and howl for the coyotes who would often respond.  I don't have an artistic bone in my body, and I think I'll pass on being a punk for the day, there's too much to do right now!

Well the pre-cruise excitement has begun with me losing sleep incrementally the week before we leave.  This morning I was wide awake at 4:03 and my first thoughts were things I haven't yet packed - spare glasses, scarf clips, phone charger for DH, etc.  I'm pretty sure I'll be needing a nap this afternoon, as I got up and made my morning tea at 5:00.  

@Seasick SailorHappy 31st Anniversary to the two of you for yesterday!

@seagarsmokerHappy 16th Anniversary to you and your lovely bride as well!

@4966and556thank you for adopting from a shelter and giving a lonely kitty a furever home.

@kazuloved the wine vessel meme; I once went to a staff party where the caterer had forgotten wine glasses (HORRORS, I know!), and the host had run out of every other kind of glasses, so I improvised and drank from a pyrex measuring cup.   I'm creative, not artistic; there's a difference.  LOL

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for dropping in; it isn't easy to get rest when a loved one is in hospital - even though your body is weary, your mind keeps on chugging.  Hopefully you'll get some additional sleep tonight.  Know our healing thoughts are with you and your DH now and in the days ahead.

I think I'd like to try today's menu suggestion, but we're trying to eat out of the fridge without buying groceries this week, so it's looking like we're having breakfast for dinner tonight - it's going to be bacon, eggs, sliced tomatoes and toast on the table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all who have celebrations going on.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3