Celebrity vs TA Booking Issue

lv2cruisgrl

Hi everyone,  I booked a cruise directly on Celebrity website because my TA wasn't available.  He had told me if I ever see a cruise I want book it then he will get it transferred to his company.  So I did that and he had it moved to him, however they wont allow him to move it into a "Group" that he has.  So because of that I loose out on the benefits (all inclusive, OBC) his company would have been able to give me if he had booked it.  He said this is new, and because it is a non-refundable cruise I booked they wouldn't let him do that.

Anyone every heard of this?  So disappointed in Celebrity.  

Edited by lovrccl
  • Like 1

Interesting to hear.   If the perks are greater than $100 per person you could cancel and pay the penalty and rebook direct with the agent.    I normally just put the room on hold and then have my agent pick up the booking.

Wondering if you agent has any web pricing that you could have Celebrity Honor under their best price guarantee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to hear.   If the perks are greater than $100 per person you could cancel and pay the penalty and rebook direct with the agent.    I normally just put the room on hold and then have my agent pick up the booking.

Wondering if you agent has any web pricing that you could have Celebrity Honor under their best price guarantee. 

I did try to do a Courtsey  hold at the time and it wouldn't let me. So I did the non refundable deposit.  So basically says nothing he can do to get me any of his perks. The deposit was 900

Edited by lovrccl

43 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

I booked a cruise directly on Celebrity .....however they wont allow him to move it into a "Group"

So disappointed in Celebrity.  

Unless the group booking has the same benefits as your self-booked cruise, I agree with Celebrity.  It's apples and oranges.  

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

He can give you any perks he wants. Why is this Celebrity's fault?

And i quote, "Under the new group policies, once a booking is made as NON-Refundable, it cannot be moved into a group and share the group pricing or perks."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Unless the group booking has the same benefits as your self-booked cruise, I agree with Celebrity.  It's apples and oranges.  

3 minutes ago, jwlane said:

That's the issue my booking has no benefits.   No OBC, I didn't purchase all included because that was a perk he could have gotten me.  

In June I booked a NRD cruise and then about a week later found that a much better deal was available via a TA group rate.  Transferring the booking to the TA was possible, but at the booked price (not the lower group rate).  To get the group rate, I transferred the booking, the TA cancelled it, requested an FCC for the $900 NDR, and then rebooked with the group rate.  When the FCC was issued (minus $200 for a cancellation fee) the TA applied it to the booking.  The savings was significant and included additional perks so the loss of $200 was well worth it. This was my experience but it was a few months ago so I'm not sure if it would work now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lovrccl said:

That's the issue my booking has no benefits.   No OBC, I didn't purchase all included because that was a perk he could have gotten me.  

Why not simply cancel and rebook through your TA? You'll only forfeit $100pp, no?

• Like 1

He may be confused but this isn't entirely impossible. When is the cruise? There are some heavily booked cruises where transferring to group space is not allowed. There are also other guidelines pertaining to groups and inventory held and sold. 

You do not have to transfer into group space. He also isn't ''giving" you the All Included items. It sounds like you may have booked a NRD and/or a Cruise Only rate? 

• Like 1

I think the TA should have informed you of the new policy, and now could figure out a way to make it up to you with OBC or something. Don't they get notices from Celebrity of any changes? If he got one but let you continue thinking you could book NRD and then transfer to group, seems he dropped the ball. 

14 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I think the TA should have informed you of the new policy, and now could figure out a way to make it up to you with OBC or something. Don't they get notices from Celebrity of any changes? If he got one but let you continue thinking you could book NRD and then transfer to group, seems he dropped the ball. 

I don't know if he knew or not, but I agree if he did he should have told me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

He may be confused but this isn't entirely impossible. When is the cruise? There are some heavily booked cruises where transferring to group space is not allowed. There are also other guidelines pertaining to groups and inventory held and sold. 

You do not have to transfer into group space. He also isn't ''giving" you the All Included items. It sounds like you may have booked a NRD and/or a Cruise Only rate? 

I booked as Cruise Only figuring he could get me the perks. Doesn't work that way any longer.

Personally, I would have booked a refundable fare then make the transfer, as it would have been only for a short period.

Yet, I do understand your thinking, regardless.

As stated before, best option is to cancel your booking and re-book with your TA, it is the most economical way and it sounds like you will come way ahead of the game, as it were...

bon voyage

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

Hi everyone,  I booked a cruise directly on Celebrity website because my TA wasn't available.  He had told me if I ever see a cruise I want book it then he will get it transferred to his company.  So I did that and he had it moved to him, however they wont allow him to move it into a "Group" that he has.  So because of that I loose out on the benefits (all inclusive, OBC) his company would have been able to give me if he had booked it.  He said this is new, and because it is a non-refundable cruise I booked they wouldn't let him do that.

Anyone every heard of this?  So disappointed in Celebrity.  

It is not new.  Your solution is simple.  As long as you are before final payment cancel your cruise with Celebrity.   You will be charged $100 with the rest a FCC that can be applied to another cruise.

Then book with your TA.  You cannot move an individual fare to a group with a TA.  I tried.

Did a cancel and rebook.

Have never heard of a cruise that is non refundable.   Just the deposit.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

He said he asked his rep that and the Groups Team said no. Under the new policy no cancel and rebook.  He is following up on that.

Does not sound right to me.  I would  be inclined to just cancel the cruise and take the $100 a person hit.  (You will have the rest in a FCC).  You stated that you did exactly as your TA suggested, I would not want the TA to receive any commission on the deal.

If they will not let you rebook the deal that they initially offered, I would book with another TA or just book direct.  

I am a little suspicious that they misquoted you initially.  

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You cannot move an individual fare to a group with a TA. 

You definitely can. 

24 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

He said he asked his rep that and the Groups Team said no. Under the new policy no cancel and rebook.  He is following up on that.

Those are two totally different things. He needs to get clarification. 

13 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

It all seems crazy to me so we will see what happens. I will update this story when and if anything changes. 

Hoping the best for you, but I would definitely look for a different TA if you current TA does not make this right.  If nothing else, he should take a hit on his commission and give it to you as OBC.

• Like 2

If I understanding this correctly @loverccl booked a Cruise Only Rate and is trying to transfer the booking to the TA at a group rate that includes AI.  Could it be that the different fare categories are the problem?  We have moved bookings to our TA and got the Group rate which was lower but it has been the same fare category, eg AI with NRD,  to group rate with AI with NRD.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

If I understanding this correctly @loverccl booked a Cruise Only Rate and is trying to transfer the booking to the TA at a group rate that includes AI.  Could it be that the different fare categories are the problem?  We have moved bookings to our TA and got the Group rate which was lower but it has been the same fare category, eg AI with NRD,  to group rate with AI with NRD.  

I suspect you may be correct.  The TA may be doing a poor job explaining the difference.  Converting a Cruise Only rate to a group booking with an AI seems like a stretch.  But I do not have experience with such a major benefit.  My TA shared commission situation is more in the 8-10% OBC range.