Beyond 10/26/22 sailing, some observations

kwokpot

This is my fifth E-class sailing, having sailed on the Edge 3x and Apex 1x. Some observations.

* The ship continues the modern design aesthetic of it's predecessors and is stunningly beautiful with it's grey and taupe color scheme.

*The IV cabin (4th time in one) is a great variation to an ocean view cabin. We enjoy leaving the folding doors open to enhance the size and light into the cabin. The speed and noise of the window is a red herring/non-event. I can confirm the AC shuts off with the window down and the bifold doors closed.  It is not a balcony cabin in any way, shape or form. 

*The expanded rooftop garden is a beautiful space as is the Newly resigned Sunset bar with it's multilevel seating areas.

*The main pool deck does have newly created seating areas.

*There's a major change in the Oceanview Cafe/buffet. The self service beverage station that was to the right of the main walkway was moved to the left and faces the buffet stations. There are new high top tables on the left of the main walkway (the relocated beverage station is on the other side of these tables). There's a new bar in the rear of the buffet adjacent to the pizza area.

*There's something missing on Deck 4 in-between the Cosmopolitan and Cypress restaurants. It's a very large space that's probably meant for either a sculpture or seating but now it's just two sets of two easy chairs which are woefully out of scale and doesn't provide enough seating for waiting diners of the new open-seating arrangement of the restaurants.  

*The Grand Plaza is definitely the heart of the ship. It is full of energy and yes gets noisy and crowded. That is the intention of it's design. It was never meant to be a library quiet place. One can go to Eden and find wonderful, private nooks and crannies to read, enjoy music through your headphones, chat, nap. 

* The show Arte in the Theater is the most impressive cruiseship specific show I've ever seen. While the individual elements, the singers and dancers, acrobatics, music, and video backgrounds are not new , the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. All the individual elements for the first time really jelled together to form something spectacular. The best number? Their rendition of Purple rain. Just WOW!

* Service is indeed challenged on the ship. There are many wonderful and professional employees who are exemplify the Celebrity standard but there are many who are obviously new and in training. 

*The locker rooms in the Spa have added additional lockers and according to the Spa hosts they are open to be used to by all guests whether you have a thermal suit pass or not. 

*Daily spa pass costs $82.

I'll add more thoughts as the days go by. Overall having a great time! 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 11

Mr. Kwokpot,

Excellent post on some of the venues/attractions/activities on Beyond. We agree with you.  We think Beyond is the most beautiful ship we have sailed on.  😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I cruised aboard the Celebrity Apex in April 2022 and was very impressed with the ship. I am booked on the Celebrity Beyond for February 2023. Thanks for your comparison of the Beyond to the previous ships.

Chuck

We are on Beyond now. I agree it is a beautiful ship. But Celebrity has a mixed personality. There are many upscale shops (but why would anyone buy jewelry on a cruise ship and pay more than a fine jewelry shop on land).

Bur some things are “tacky” such as the can of Pringles and Kind bars on the counter (presumably for guests to consume and pay for).

And the dining rooms are not open on port days for lunch, only the Oceanview Cafe.

The ship has only about 2500 passengers on this cruise and the dining venues are understaffed. What will happen when the ship has over 3000 passengers?

There is the full complement of “Carnival or Royal Caribbean” type activities such as art auctions, dance classes, games, etc.

I agree that the IV cabin in not a balcony cabin. Today  at 10:30 am the IV window is locked closed because???. Maybe rough seas?

I think Holland America is more upscale than Celebrity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

*In acknowledgement to another CC thread, Silent Disco was a fun event held in the Grand Plaza. It was well attended with people with headphones on all levels around the Grand Plaza and there were plenty of headphones for everyone.

*Craft Social is a nicely designed space that resembles a fancy private home living room or family room. Unfortunately it's too small of a space for a ship this size. There are many expensive homes with living rooms or family rooms larger than Craft Social. We have the World Series going on now - GO Phillies!!! - and people are spilling out into the walkways to watch the game.

*The gym seems the same as the other two ships. It's bright and has all the necessary equipment. Great forward views but the windows that allow for the beautiful views also allows the sun to heat up the gym. It's been a bit warm in here, they need to increase the AC. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

This is my fifth E-class sailing, having sailed on the Edge 3x and Apex 1x. Some observations.

* The ship continues the modern design aesthetic of it's predecessors and is stunningly beautiful with it's grey and taupe color scheme.

*The IV cabin (4th time in one) is a great variation to an ocean view cabin. We enjoy leaving the folding doors open to enhance the size and light into the cabin. The speed and noise of the window is a red herring/non-event. I can confirm the AC shuts off with the window down and the bifold doors closed.  It is not a balcony cabin in any way, shape or form. 

*The expanded rooftop garden is a beautiful space as is the Newly resigned Sunset bar with it's multilevel seating areas.

*There's a major change in the Oceanview Cafe/buffet. The self service beverage station that was to the right of the main walkway was moved to the left and faces the buffet stations. There are new high top tables on the left of the main walkway (the relocated beverage station is on the other side of these tables). There's a new bar in the rear of the buffet adjacent to the pizza area.

*There's something missing on Deck 4 in-between the Cosmopolitan and Cypress restaurants. It's a very large space that's probably meant for either a sculpture or seating but now it's just two sets of two easy chairs which are woefully out of scale and doesn't provide enough seating for waiting diners of the new open-seating arrangement of the restaurants.  

*The Grand Plaza is definitely the heart of the ship. It is full of energy and yes gets noisy and crowded. That is the intention of it's design. It was never meant to be a library quiet place. One can go to Eden and find wonderful, private nooks and crannies to read, enjoy music through your headphones, chat, nap. 

* The show Arte in the Theater is the most impressive cruiseship specific show I've ever seen. While the individual elements, the singers and dancers, acrobatics, music, and video backgrounds are not new , the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. All the individual elements for the first time really jelled together to form something spectacular. The best number? Their rendition of Purple rain. Just WOW!

* Service is indeed challenged on the ship. There are many wonderful and professional employees who are exemplify the Celebrity standard but there are many who are obviously new and in training. 

*The locker rooms in the Spa have added additional lockers and according to the Spa hosts they are open to be used to by all guests whether you have a thermal suit pass or not. 

Having problems posting so apologies if this is duplicated. I'm on the sailing also and I agree with everything you said. However, I want to call out Arte. Most amazing thing I've seen at sea by far. Only thing that comes close are the production shows in 270 on the quantum class RCCL ships.

My only complaint is that it was only for one day. I wanted to see it 2x 😀

Thank you Kwok.  Quick question...

You mentioned a few chairs outside the dining rooms.  When issued a beeper, where do folks go to wait?  Is there a bar or lounge nearby, or do people just stand around? How is the drink service in the MDR's?

• Like 1

Nowhere to go, no bars even near the dining rooms or a place to wait except the hall. Deck 4 has both Cypress & Cosmopolitans; and deck 3 has Tuscan & Normandie - people milling around with beepers and little or no waiting type seating.

Hal

1 hour ago, Jimbo59 said:

I agree that the IV cabin in not a balcony cabin. Today  at 10:30 am the IV window is locked closed because???. Maybe rough seas?

The on and off rain squalls that's been going on all morning and right now as I type this message. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, julia said:

Thank you Kwok.  Quick question...

You mentioned a few chairs outside the dining rooms.  When issued a beeper, where do folks go to wait?  Is there a bar or lounge nearby, or do people just stand around? How is the drink service in the MDR's?

The Martini Bar is the closest bar and it's not too far and the buzzer works there. The drink service varies from each dining room but for the most part good. We did have one night that I had to call for the sommelier since they didn't come over on their own accord. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo59 said:

We are on Beyond now. I agree it is a beautiful ship. But Celebrity has a mixed personality. There are many upscale shops (but why would anyone buy jewelry on a cruise ship and pay more than a fine jewelry shop on land).

Bur some things are “tacky” such as the can of Pringles and Kind bars on the counter (presumably for guests to consume and pay for).

And the dining rooms are not open on port days for lunch, only the Oceanview Cafe.

The ship has only about 2500 passengers on this cruise and the dining venues are understaffed. What will happen when the ship has over 3000 passengers?

There is the full complement of “Carnival or Royal Caribbean” type activities such as art auctions, dance classes, games, etc.

We sail in a sky suite in 4 weeks hoping it is not 100 percent, I am sure suites will be sold out . Loved retreat last year on edge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Nowhere to go, no bars even near the dining rooms or a place to wait except the hall. Deck 4 has both Cypress & Cosmopolitans; and deck 3 has Tuscan & Normandie - people milling around with beepers and little or no waiting type seating.

Hal

Eden and Martini are both close.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Thank you.  Excellent, detailed informatve run down from  someone with A+ cred on Cruise Critic in our opinion......

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Close is an obtuse to term when your in a wheelchair or pushing one! What is close for you may not be for us!

Hal

Well, I think that should have been made clear in your reply. The poster asked for close, not close if you had mobility problems.

If you were answering from that perspective, you should have said so initially 

• Like 1

Informative, concise thoughts and comments Kp. Not overly done with extraneous words and pictures as many reviews tend to be. We have sailed on Edge, not Apex, and will cruise Beyond in May ‘23 in Europe. We very much enjoy this class of ship and can appreciate what X is intending to do with a totally different presentation. Although we are not Celebrity’s targets for Edge class ships, DW and I can easily assimilate into the more modern, contemporary environment of these new cruise ships and feel very comfortable.

Like your pictures of the Oceanview Café and Craft Social Bar. We will certainly spend time in those venues as well as looking forward to the new and improved Sunset Bar. Incorporating Celebrity’s three classes of ships into our future vacation plans will certainly enhance our cruising enjoyment.

If you are able, could you get some pictures of the Sunset Bar, both day and night? That area looks amazing. Thank you and continue to appreciate and enjoy your voyage.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

Jewelry is hugely popular on cruises.  People buy to have something to remember the cruise.  The price means little.  It is the moment 

• Like 1

*We have an Aquaclass IV cabin and it's the same as on the previous ships. Storage is fine but there's not enough hooks/pegs to hang things from. None in the room and only four in the bathroom; two in the shower and two on the bathroom door. The deluxe shower panel with multiple water settings is wonderful! As with previous IV bathroom cabins the mirror is heated to prevent fogging but it also heats up the bathroom too much. You can actually feel the heat eminating from the mirror. It's too much.

*As someone who enjoys using the spa I have to say the E-class Thermal suites are a letdown and the Beyond is no different. The spa is beautifully designed but there are some useless features such as the Crystal Inhalation room and I feel most people would prefer regular loungers than hanging basket chairs to relax in. You see some strange contortions as people try to get their legs supported by the basket chair. There's no hot tub or whirlpool inside the thermal suite. The spa has access to a beautiful forward outdoor deck but on all three ships it's used as a sculpture garden and although you can access it there's no place to sit or lay down. All you can do is spend a few minutes standing around admiring the views. As previously mentioned one change in the Spa on the  Beyond are additional lockers in the changing room which I presume is the reason the Beyond allows all passengers access to the Spa locker rooms vs the Edge and Apex where they are supposed to be only for those with a treatment or thermal suite access (That was told to me by the Spa desk people on the Edge & Apex). 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Fun observations as the ship transitions from Europe to the Caribbean:

*President French butter giving way to Wisconsin Dairy brand Grassland Butter.

*European sized toilet paper giving way to American style TP.

• Like 1