Shorts in MDR

FLCruZar

I have been married to the best husband in the world for 36 years.  We love dressing up for each other for  "date night".  Neither of us would be caught dead going to a nice resturant in clothing that was made for the pool side.  Also, we brush our teeth, comb our hair and I put make-up on.  I want my DH to feel good walking by my side.  By the way, we also raised our 5 kids (all grown now) that there is a place to dress down and it's not at a nice resturant, weddings or church.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, graciekelli said:

I have been married to the best husband in the world for 36 years.  We love dressing up for each other for  "date night".  Neither of us would be caught dead going to a nice resturant in clothing that was made for the pool side.  Also, we brush our teeth, comb our hair and I put make-up on.  I want my DH to feel good walking by my side.  By the way, we also raised our 5 kids (all grown now) that there is a place to dress down and it's not at a nice resturant, weddings or church.  

Does your husband feel less good with you if you see someone in shorts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, graciekelli said:

LOL

Churches emptied in the 1970s due to harassment of teens who weren't dressed to others' preferences.  They never came back.

I look good in shorts, suits, whatever.  My wife looks good without make up.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2022 at 10:29 PM, Husky1987 said:

Wait, what?  Why is this the first we're hearing of this?  Why hasn't this been talked about here?  

On 11/12/2022 at 11:55 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yup. Only discussed 3 or 4 times a week... not quite daily

But you clicked and read anyway?

What about the mix-and-match couples? This is true on land as well, but when people watching some of my favorites are the women in their evening gowns who spent 2 hours getting ready...with their husbands in gym shorts and a t-shirt who take off their ballcap just before entering the restaurant so as to look more refined.

I'm in the "don't care" category personally... enjoy your cruise folks! Those who dress up, good for you! Those who want to relax on your cruise with shorts on, good for you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graciekelli said:

This is wonderful for you!  It's so amazing that you have the opportunity to dress up when you want and that your kids feel the same way you do.

Also, I feel good with my wife walking by my side whether she's wearing make up or not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Reid said:

But you clicked and read anyway?

Half of the value of CC is the information we gather, making our cruise life easier and better.

The other half is the ability to open up redundant threads and make snarky comments that add no value other than to our own amusement, whether that comment is "Gee, I've never seen this before" or "But you clicked and read anyway?".

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

I know that. Just saying how it should be, not the way it ever will be. We like the relaxed suggested dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR compared to years past. You'll always find me in the MDR on the first evening in shorts. All other evenings, I dress IAW my wife's suggestions. 😁

I agree and also dress for my wife and how she wants me to look; that’s really all that matters. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I don't know if I agree with "shorts are shorts" idea.   You could extend that to "pants are pants" and that equates dress pants with PJ pants.   

Knock yourself out. 🤣Gym shorts, dress shorts (?) same same as RC published dress guidelines only says shorts.  Wear what you want. Cool with me. My only point is don't claim your shorts/pants are nicer (interpretation) than what someone else is wearing because they are a different style. Shorts are shorts! 

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, graciekelli said:

If you cruise on RCI regularly, you know there are no nice restaurants where you are expected to dress up. On most RCI cruises, especially Oasis class ships, we usually get the UDP. I have gone on countless cruises where we ate at speciality restaurants every night of the cruise and I wore shorts every night (and was far from the only one in shorts every night). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad we don't go to MDR.  This is just too much stress for a vacation.  We have our specialty dining outfit and our Windjammer gym clothes.  Anything else, I'll have to take Xanax to deal with the stress of the good shorts vs the WT clothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Glad we don't go to MDR.  This is just too much stress for a vacation.  We have our specialty dining outfit and our Windjammer gym clothes.  Anything else, I'll have to take Xanax to deal with the stress of the good shorts vs the WT clothing.

We always go to the MDR and haven't experience any stress. IThis topic is only a CC thing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you cruise on RCI regularly, you know there are no nice restaurants where you are expected to dress up. On most RCI cruises, especially Oasis class ships, we usually get the UDP. I have gone on countless cruises where we ate at speciality restaurants every night of the cruise and I wore shorts every night (and was far from the only one in shorts every night). 

Did you get a lot of looks?

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Don't even start to think about jeans in the dining room (no pun intended😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

If you really want to take some Xanax, go to the Celebrity threads about their dress code/suggestions. Wearing shorts in the  Celebrity MDR is akin to a super nova for some of those Celebrity CC posters! 💥

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Does your husband feel less good with you if you see someone in shorts?

No. But I feel very proud that my husband takes an interest in looking his best when we go out somewhere nice and we feel good about each other.  I think there is a place and time for shorts/casual wear and a place and time for looking good.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Of course.  Shorts are great and most cruise lines do not have any expectations for a dress code.  I am only sharing what we like to do. You wearing shorts at Chops or a tux in the Windjammer takes nothing away from our experience.

• Like 2