Shorts in MDR

FLCruZar

On 11/13/2022 at 7:54 AM, jerseyjjs said:

Don't these people know that wearing shorts in the MDR affects the quality of the food?

Eh, yes and no.  You've heard the phrase, "You eat with your eyes first"? 

It means, of course, that the plating of your food matters -- that attractive food tastes better than food that's just slapped on the plate.  When I was working, people always used to comment on the lunches I'd bring in -- they'd say how pretty they were.  I do take time to make my family's meals look nice, especially with lots of colorful veg.  

Anyway -- to some extent -- that extends to the atmosphere of the room, which sets the stage for the meal.  Taking some care with your dress, walking into a nice room -- this mentally prepares you for a nice meal.  

On 11/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, davekathy said:

Shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want but as long as it fits your interpretation of what is out of place.  As they should have. More staff at the entrance to the MDR need to grow bigger stones and enforce or at least advise people of the published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. 

Disagree, as others on this thread have said, gym shorts and dress shorts are not the same animal. 

I did wear shorts to dinner twice on our last cruise -- nice dress shorts paired with a dressy, gauzy blouse, wedge heels, nice hair and make-up and jewelry. 

That's a long way from what I wore for the gym:  gray Sofies and a school mascot tee that some kid left in my classroom years ago.  

On 11/14/2022 at 10:58 AM, billslowsky said:

Churches emptied in the 1970s due to harassment of teens who weren't dressed to others' preferences.  They never came back.

I don't think any single thing is responsible for the drop in organized religion in America.  

On 11/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, jean87510 said:

Glad we don't go to MDR.  This is just too much stress for a vacation.  

Oh, come on, you may not WANT to dress up, but pulling on a pair of pants or a sundress isn't really stressful.  

On 11/15/2022 at 4:30 AM, UnregisteredUser said:

I mean shorts must be ok at the Captains table, right?

captain.JPG

Hey, hey, hey -- do you see a fork in the man's hand?  He's not at dinner!  

On 11/15/2022 at 7:27 AM, graciekelli said:

No. But I feel very proud that my husband takes an interest in looking his best when we go out somewhere nice and we feel good about each other.  I think there is a place and time for shorts/casual wear and a place and time for looking good.  

Dressing up occasionally makes me feel good about myself.  

During the pandemic we -- like so many other people -- fell into a pattern of slovenly dress:  PJ pants, hair in a ponytail - just not caring. 

As things were winding down, we were invited to a wedding.  I wore a lovely lace dress and heels -- both things that've been in my closet a long time.  I did my hair and make-up.  I looked really good, and I felt good about myself.  It set the tone for a nice evening, and it made me realize that I feel better about myself when I put in some effort.  My husband definitely noticed, and it made him happy -- not that he was complaining before.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 11/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, Mickey S said:

I am new to CC however, I am in the camp where adult men should wear long slacks in the evening except for buffet. Having said that we go to some real nice high end places all over the US where basically anything goes. Men and women.

Since there is no dress code, men are not required to wear lacks or jeans or dockers. Totally overkill. Shorts are perfectly fine. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, yes and no.  You've heard the phrase, "You eat with your eyes first"? 

It means, of course, that the plating of your food matters -- that attractive food tastes better than food that's just slapped on the plate.  When I was working, people always used to comment on the lunches I'd bring in -- they'd say how pretty they were.  I do take time to make my family's meals look nice, especially with lots of colorful veg.  

Anyway -- to some extent -- that extends to the atmosphere of the room, which sets the stage for the meal.  Taking some care with your dress, walking into a nice room -- this mentally prepares you for a nice meal.  

Disagree, as others on this thread have said, gym shorts and dress shorts are not the same animal. 

I did wear shorts to dinner twice on our last cruise -- nice dress shorts paired with a dressy, gauzy blouse, wedge heels, nice hair and make-up and jewelry. 

That's a long way from what I wore for the gym:  gray Sofies and a school mascot tee that some kid left in my classroom years ago.  

I don't think any single thing is responsible for the drop in organized religion in America.  

Oh, come on, you may not WANT to dress up, but pulling on a pair of pants or a sundress isn't really stressful.  

Hey, hey, hey -- do you see a fork in the man's hand?  He's not at dinner!  

Dressing up occasionally makes me feel good about myself.  

During the pandemic we -- like so many other people -- fell into a pattern of slovenly dress:  PJ pants, hair in a ponytail - just not caring. 

As things were winding down, we were invited to a wedding.  I wore a lovely lace dress and heels -- both things that've been in my closet a long time.  I did my hair and make-up.  I looked really good, and I felt good about myself.  It set the tone for a nice evening, and it made me realize that I feel better about myself when I put in some effort.  My husband definitely noticed, and it made him happy -- not that he was complaining before.  

It's always fun to read a post that is so condescending first thing in the morning.  Just amazed at the time and effort to cut and paste.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

It's always fun to read a post that is so condescending first thing in the morning.  Just amazed at the time and effort to cut and paste.  

But you do have to admit @Mum2Mercury makes a good point about "You eat with your eyes first". I mean, I don't have any issues with other men wearing shorts in the MDR but I don't do it myself. Not because of any cruise line rule but because the ladies in the room would be so distracted by my incredibly fury manly pistons that their plates of food would turn into some bland pile on nothingness. A good steak, or lobster just can't compete with DirtyDawg's shanks!  And as a good fellow cruiser I have to look out for the ladies on my cruises. 😉😁

And BTW why are we always talking about the unsightliness of men in shorts in the MDR. What about all the ladies with their too tight yoga type pants and dresses! And good God women, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to pay a few extra bucks more for an extra couple of  inches of fabric for the bottom of that dress! You're not 20 years old anymore! 

😇

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

And BTW why are we always talking about the unsightliness of men in shorts in the MDR. What about all the ladies with their too tight yoga type pants and dresses! And good God women, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to pay a few extra bucks more for an extra couple of  inches of fabric for the bottom of that dress! You're not 20 years old anymore! 

😇

I have seen plenty of women who "I thought" were wearing outfits not flattering...  but the heck with me, if these ladies want to go on a cruise vacation, more power to them.  Same with the old dudes in the speedo poolside.

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

But you do have to admit @Mum2Mercury makes a good point about "You eat with your eyes first". I mean, I don't have any issues with other men wearing shorts in the MDR but I don't do it myself. Not because of any cruise line rule but because the ladies in the room would be so distracted by my incredibly fury manly pistons that their plates of food would turn into some bland pile on nothingness. A good steak, or lobster just can't compete with DirtyDawg's shanks!  And as a good fellow cruiser I have to look out for the ladies on my cruises. 😉😁

😇

My original post was sarcastic which mum didn't get or read.  Too busy cutting, pasting and criticizing.  And since I do not eat in the MDR, I wear shorts and yoga pants in the Windjammer and my tight dresses in the Specialty.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean, it definitely can go either way 

There was a very popular tshirt in Italy this past summer - written in Italian of course. There are three things that never lie: children, drunks, and leggings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/14/2022 at 2:47 PM, davekathy said:

Knock yourself out. 🤣Gym shorts, dress shorts (?) same same as RC published dress guidelines only says shorts.  Wear what you want. Cool with me. My only point is don't claim your shorts/pants are nicer (interpretation) than what someone else is wearing because they are a different style. Shorts are shorts! 

I love dressing up and can generally get my husband to somewhat match. However, there is a world of difference between my husbands bike shorts and t shirt and his pretty linen shorts with a nice long sleeve shirt. We live in Florida and dress shorts do not turn heads in too many nice restaurants. 

A few years ago, our large group  arrived at Berns Steakhouse and husband had on dress shorts . They loaned him a pair of long pants in his size. Hilarious plated and cuffed pair from 1980. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

I love dressing up and can generally get my husband to somewhat match. However, there is a world of difference between my husbands bike shorts and t shirt and his pretty linen shorts with a nice long sleeve shirt. We live in Florida and dress shorts do not turn heads in too many nice restaurants. 

A few years ago, our large group  arrived at Berns Steakhouse and husband had on dress shorts . They loaned him a pair of long pants in his size. Hilarious plated and cuffed pair from 1980. 

"Pretty linen shorts" ???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Linen shorts. Sounds like some of my boxers (underwear). 🤣  Shorts are shorts by any definition. All I'm saying is RC doesn't distinguish between the different types/styles or materials when they say under casual wear, shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch. If I had my way I'd wear shorts every night in the MDR, not just the first night. Wait a minute, I do. I wear my linen (pretty or not is in the eye of the beholder) boxer shorts under my pants. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, graciekelli said:

I have been married to the best husband in the world for 36 years.  We love dressing up for each other for  "date night".  Neither of us would be caught dead going to a nice resturant in clothing that was made for the pool side.  Also, we brush our teeth, comb our hair and I put make-up on.  I want my DH to feel good walking by my side.  By the way, we also raised our 5 kids (all grown now) that there is a place to dress down and it's not at a nice resturant, weddings or church.  

Good for you... I think folks should wear what they like, and enjoy themselves. However, if you think the MDR on a Royal Caribbean ship is a "nice restaurant," you probably need to get out more. IMO.

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2