Tuxedo rental available on Carnival?

kruisecat

Let me start by saying my 8 year old really wants to dress up for our 8 night Magic cruise departing on New Year's Eve.  So I am purchasing him a tuxedo but don't wish to buy one for hubby.

So I am curious if Carnival has a rental program?  Or, does anyone have a recommendation of a rental service that is able to deliver to the ship?

Thank you in advance for any help 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kruisecat said:

Let me start by saying my 8 year old really wants to dress up for our 8 night Magic cruise departing on New Year's Eve.  So I am purchasing him a tuxedo but don't wish to buy one for hubby.

So I am curious if Carnival has a rental program?  Or, does anyone have a recommendation of a rental service that is able to deliver to the ship?

Thank you in advance for any help 🙂

I say good for the young man.

You may have to rent on land or thrift shop it

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Like 2

I think you'll have to rent one on land at home... which depending on rates and the length of time you'll be gone could be pricey. I'm not sure what it costs to buy but it might be cheaper, lol. Does he already have a black suit? You might be able to pair it, depending on it's cut, with a tuxedo short, bow tie and cumberbund and most nobody (really nobody) on board will know the difference. It's great you guys are going to dress up. I haven't worn my tux in a lot of years but I used to on Carnival sometimes and there were others and since its NYE you might find a few others for your cruise still today. My son and I are heading out on the Vista for NYE as well. I hope you guys have a great time! 

• Like 1

They used to when they had a Formalities shop onboard. That was replaced with “Cherries on Top”.

No more tuxedo rentals onboard.

When I needed a tuxedo I bought one from a rental shop. After they’ve been rented so many times they sell them off (still good enough to wear a few more times and cheaper than renting).

• Like 6

They won't be alone wearing tuxes on formal night. But might I ask why buy a tux for the 8 year old vs rent for them? Seems the hubby would be less likely to grow out of his tux if you bought one, versus the 8 year old getting limited use from a purchased one before it no longer fits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserLucas said:

They won't be alone wearing tuxes on formal night. But might I ask why buy a tux for the 8 year old vs rent for them? Seems the hubby would be less likely to grow out of his tux if you bought one, versus the 8 year old getting limited use from a purchased one before it no longer fits. 

It’s cheaper to buy a tuxedo than it is to rent it for an entire cruise.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

The post says buying the son's and not the husband and asking about rentals is what doesn't make sense. Why purchase one for the son that will grow out of it quickly and not purchase it for the husband? I'd love to know from the OP why they're doing a purchase for the kid and renting the adult's. 

the kids tux is under $60 which is way cheaper than renting.  I may just buy for hubby as well and just stop my own crazy lol  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The company that rented formal wear on many cruise lines went out of business, before Covid.  I think Cunard made some arrangement to have rental tuxedos, but I’ve not seen it mentioned on the other lines I follow.  EM

I suspected as much.  It was just worth asking lol.  

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

I still wear a tux on every cruise on elagant night and I am never alone, just in the minority, but I am sorry, no more rentals. 

thank you for the response and the fact that you still partake in the elegant night festivities!!  We love dressing up and my son is so excited to be on the boat for NYE 🙂

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kruisecat said:

the kids tux is under $60 which is way cheaper than renting.  I may just buy for hubby as well and just stop my own crazy lol  

Thanks for the follow up! I suspected a drastically cheaper price - personally I just would have been hesitant to buy a niche item for a growing boy, even $60 vs $XXX for the rental. But maaaaybe... Hear me out... Can they both keep theirs clean and you tuck the tags for the evening; return it when you get back to port. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

Thanks for the follow up! I suspected a drastically cheaper price - personally I just would have been hesitant to buy a niche item for a growing boy, even $60 vs $XXX for the rental. But maaaaybe... Hear me out... Can they both keep theirs clean and you tuck the tags for the evening; return it when you get back to port. 🤣🤣

I have a feeling that tuxedos are like evening gowns - usually not returnable, because people would do exactly what you are suggesting.  Plus asking an 8-year-old boy to keep his clothes clean is a pretty tall order 😆

• Like 3

I don't know about "nobody" wearing them, Hubby wears either a tux or full formal kilt with Prince Charlie jacket at least one elegant night per cruise and there are definitely others in tuxes.  It's fun for us to dress up formal when there aren't a lot of other chances at home.  I just feel like folks are trying to discourage the OP based on their opinions of what to wear and if it will make her son smile to do it, they should just be allowed to enjoy it without commentary.

I do agree with others that for a Men's tux, it is often cheaper than even a short term rental and can be fitted to the wearer.  There are even some sellers on Ebay that will make to order based on his measurements for very reasonable prices, although that does presume you do not mind doing business with vendors in China (I'm agnostic on the subject), and that they can get it delivered in time for the trip since overseas shipping.  Some are pretty quick though.

Hope y'all have a great NYE!

• Like 3

My DH has a tuxedo, very nice, from Bloomingdales, that I bought for him as a holiday present a few years ago. The same brand is sold at Nordstrom.  I expect him to wear it for a few decades at least. He had a previous one, which he bought when we were married almost 40 years ago, but he "outgrew" it.  

Yes, he wears it for NYE, and also on Cunard cruises. He has different bow ties in diverse colors/patterns. We ALWAYS dress for formal night, and take lots of photos!

I think it is wonderful your young son has such a fashion sense of style.  My young nephew wants a tuxedo, too,, and I told my SIL to try Saks Off Fifth.  I hope your family takes some great family photos and has a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I have a feeling that tuxedos are like evening gowns - usually not returnable, because people would do exactly what you are suggesting.  Plus asking an 8-year-old boy to keep his clothes clean is a pretty tall order 😆

Yeah, it was a joke. Ruffled some feathers of others, though. 🙃🙄

• Like 1