Why don't elite get drinks from 5-7 on embarkation. Is something else going on

ILOVESHIPS

1 minute ago, Alakegirl said:

Assume you were asking if there is some other event  taking place, Not if there is some sort of conspiracy going on. 

there is nothing going on.  They just don’t do the Elite drinks on embarkation nights.

Of course not why would they just too busy upselling the drinks package. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The custom of “no Elite event on night one “ far precedes the advent of drinks packages.

Perhaps but still don't see a logical reason for it.  I'm on a Princess cruise next month and haven't sailed with them for 10 years so will be comparing the two for lines for sure and will report back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Perhaps but still don't see a logical reason for it.

I would imagine it is the same reason that no other events happen on embarkation day, they give everyone the time to get their luggage delivered, unpacked and complete the 'lifeboat drill' etc.

Ships officers all have a lot to do on that day as they prepare to depart and so it doesn't make sense to hold any events that would potentially require their attendance or attention until day 2...

I know the 'event' is now merely a free drink period, unlike it used to be, but the history is still there and giving the bar staff a little space to deal with those who are looking to arrange drink packages onboard does make sense on the first day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The custom of “no Elite event on night one “ far precedes the advent of drinks packages.

I'm not sure that custom is justification of anything on Celebrity.  There have been many changes in Celebrity policies over the last few years and "custom" has not been considered in any of those changes.  I haven't seen any reason that Celebrity cannot include an Elite event on Day one.   If Celebrity was really concerned about the workload on the bar staff, perhaps they should consider returning the bar staff staffing levels to the pre-Covid levels.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not sure that custom is justification of anything on Celebrity.  There have been many changes in Celebrity policies over the last few years and "custom" has not been considered in any of those changes.  I haven't seen any reason that Celebrity cannot include an Elite event on Day one.   If Celebrity was really concerned about the workload on the bar staff, perhaps they should consider returning the bar staff staffing levels to the pre-Covid levels.

I believe that many at all the cruise lines would love to get back to their original staffing levels but many of the i pediments to this are beyond their control, including delays in getting worker’s visas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

We are going on the Solstice in Jan.  7 day Mexico trip.

Has anyone been on lately.  How are the Elite  perks and  drink  times.  Thank you

I became “Elite” just before the shut down so haven’t had a chance to use my perks yet. I didn’t know about the no 5-7 cocktail hour on day 1. I would have wondered if there was a different event taking its place as well ( like a welcome aboard gathering…idk). so thanks for asking the question and hopefully you’re not discouraged from asking more in the future. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don't see why either. It requires the same amount of time to make a FREE drink for an Elite member during HH than one who is paying. They still ask to see your seapass card and enter room number in the system so process is exactly the same. Really.... should be all or nothing. JMO and that of many others.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There ship, their free drinks, they get to make the rules.

Not debating their rules but then don't advertise it as free drinks from 5 to 7 for Elite and above.  Like I said all or nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlightDraw said:

And, why not all day like RCI. Why just 5-7?

Remember this is only a recent change to the CAS since  cruising resumed.  The CAS all day drinks are limited to 4 for diamond, 5 for diamond + and 6 for pinnacle. Good at most bars and all dining venues. No longer are unlimited drinks offered in the DL during the HH that runs from 5 to 8:PM. Your all day drinks loaded on your Seapass card will be deducted in the DL. So use them accordingly. We like the new CAS drink schedule. Also unused CAS drinks don't carry over. Use them or lose them daily. 

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

like a welcome aboard gathering…

There always is a " Welcome aboard gathering " on the first night where:

-- The Cruise Director "bounces"(?) out on stage and :

" Welcomes us as Guests, and, by the end of the cruise will leave as Cargo ( the crowd goes wild with laughter)

-- The CD shouts " Do we have anyone  who came all the way from ( Canada as an example ), and those that are scream and cheer like they won a key chain or a water bottle.

-- The CD again shouts-- " Everybody--Put Your Hands Together " for our 43 Sr Staff members representing 152 countries and 19 departments on board -- including ( Canada as an example ) and, again the Canadians " go wild "-- ( Ya see that ?? All the way from Canada ) !!

Lastly--the CD introduces the Captain --- Welcome toast--etc etc.

And the finale---the CD---"Before I let you go"----I gotta tell you about the " fabulous " entertainment we have for you on this cruise and don't forget to watch the daily shopping video of the Islands we are going to--- Great deals await-- Exclusive(?) to Celebrity.

( Nothing is mentioned about " kick-backs " from the stores they send us to).

On our way out of the theater we are "greeted" by 23 Staff selling drink packages and specialty restaurant packages.  

7 hours ago, drakes2 said:

too busy upselling the drinks package

( And Specialty restaurant packages)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1