Princess cancelled my excursion without notification

fireworks_fan

Hello, I've been reading the forum to prepare for my upcoming Mexico cruise on the Discovery and now I have my first question. Has anyone else had an excursion cancelled without notification? I found out my excursion was cancelled back on November 16th from reading my credit card statement today and finding a princess refund. When I called Princess, they basically said that they had sent me an email, then they had sent Costo an email as my travel agent, and then that they would resend the cancellation notification. Instead I received an email that listed my other excursions with no cancellation information. Costco claims that they also were not notified. Now most of the excursions are not available anymore. I've checked my email and my spam folder multiple times and I have plenty of Princess ad emails, but no cancellations.

I understand that cancellations happen, but I should have been alerted. Its been very frustrating and now I have to find something with two weeks left.

1 hour ago, fireworks_fan said:

Now most of the excursions are not available anymore.

please know that you can book the same excursions directly and usually much cheaper. So, don't despair! 

It was much worse last November when we HAD to purchase a cruise excursion if we wanted to go ashore, because we had an unvaxxed kid with us. One of the ports changed literally 72 hours before our sailing, so guess how everyone was scrambling to book literally ANYTHING during that time.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Yep, happened to me for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.  I booked direct—no email, no phone call.  Just noticed it on my cruise personalizer that the excursions were gone.

On our upcoming Panama cruise, the the excursion cancellation email came from Princess and the port cancelation email came from the TA. Other times I have received from both or neither, no consistency. Except maybe because we book excursions directly online? 

Edited by Musky Ike

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Yes, as others above have stated...Costco (and others) very often do not forward informational emails on to you, even if it is rather important!  This hammers home the fact that you really need to stay on top of things (as you did with your credit card statement) and watch for "red flags" or anything that looks a bit squirrelly. I have my very first sailing booked with a TA group after MANY times of booking direct.  I'm not *expecting* there to be issues...but in the past when I have booked non-cruise trips with a TA (not the one I am currently booked with) we have had near disastrous emergencies pop up that should have been averted had the agent paid attention to details.  I am very curious as to how this sailing next year will turn out...but I don't think it will convince me to switch over to TA bookings.  I like "being in control" of my plans too much! That way...if there's a mistake made...I have no one to blame other than myself!! 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roatanfans said:

Costco does not forward the emails from Princess, this is nothing new with them.  Just understand this is the drawback to use their services to book your cruise

Have used "C" for many years and have never had a problem with any correspondence with regard to Princess.  Perhaps this is an issue with some offices???

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Maybe check your roll call for ideas others may post. You can find it here. Just scroll through until you find your date. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2469-discovery-princess-roll-calls/

You may not realize that mentioning travel agents by names is against CC rules and the thread you started may be locked by the administrators.  

Edited by milolii

55 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

I've been booking with a TA for years and have always had them notify me of any changes.

And almost on queue, this morning I received a notification directly from Princess and a few minutes ago, which was less than an hour after the Princess notification, I received that same notification from my TA. And this is a Saturday!  

THAT is how a good TA does things. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Have used "C" for many years and have never had a problem with any correspondence with regard to Princess.  Perhaps this is an issue with some offices???

Have you ever had a Princess excursion cancelled when booked with C and received an email about the cancellation from C?

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Have you ever had a Princess excursion cancelled when booked with C and received an email about the cancellation from C?

Yes, it was about 5 years ago.  With that said, I don't trust anyone when it comes to my reservations.  I always check them once a week (excursion listing and booking summary) to ensure nothing has changed and I am not hit with any last minute surprises.

• Like 4

Just now, Italy52 said:

Yes, it was about 5 years ago.  With that said, I don't trust anyone when it comes to my reservations.  I always check them once a week (excursion listing and booking summary) to ensure nothing has changed and I am not hit with any last minute surprises.

I am the same.  Even more so on Air reservations.

• Like 3

We are the kind who look over everything, fairly often.   You never know what could happen.

Even with a good TA, or a huge or big-box, my husband is one, based on habit from his work, checks EVERYTHING!

Many people seem to be reporting non-responsive AWOL Princess Planners.

So, I wouldn't count on my Princess Planner to be on top of everything either.

• Like 2