For those that don't auto-gratuity, how do you distribute they money?

On 12/7/2022 at 1:53 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

Note, I am not wanting to tip less money.   I am a former waitress, and am pro-tipping. 

But, it bugs me that people I might never see or have anything to do with might get some of the tip money.  
It also bugs me that there is the rumor that the company doesn't pass on all the tip money.   I know this has been a problem in restaurants.   Not one I worked in, but it has been sometimes a thing and I can totally see Royal corporate bean-counters doing that.  

So, for those that don't auto-gratuity how much do you give people?   I am thinking of matching the auto-gratuity amount  These are the things I can see us doing.  

• Obviously the room steward
  • MDR meals 
  • WJ meals
  • Likely an occasional snack location but no specialty restaurants.  
  • Pool/towel attendants
  • Two girls aged 13 & 14, so there is that club they hang out in.   
  • DH will be buying an occasional beer, and the girls will likely get sodas on the refreshment package.  So bartenders.  
  • Attendants for the slides, that surfing thing, laser tag, etc. (Voyager)
  • If there is a poker game, I'd like to do that.   Tipping the dealer is normally a thing.   I assume it is the same on a cruise.  

For those that tip but don't do auto-gratuity, how much do you tip each person?   Obviously people do different things on the ship, so spread the money differently.  But I thought if I had a few examples, I'd be better educated.   
I assume that the cabin steward is a certain $ per day.   Meals per person per meal makes sense.  

I only tip the auto gratuity because that is the "customary" amount to tip on a ship, and not what any other perceptions or personal opinions.  I believe your post is about and what is customary in the USA.  

5 hours ago, resetjet said:

Its too much hassle to remove the gratuity.

On the contrary, it's actually very easy, and no hassle whatsoever. No questions asked! You can call or stop by GS any time during your cruise and simply ask to have them removed...even if some have already been charged to your account. Your account won't close until final day, so just stop by during the week. We walk by GS enough during the week that we always find a moment when they have no line.

As for what's customary to tip? I tip for "good service" - I might tip $5 or $10 cash at a specialty restaurant, depending on the level of service I received (remember they just got 18% already) . I treat gratuities as like a reward for service, not a required fee for the person. So just go in with the mindset that you will tip for good service, and tip what you feel is best for that moment. 

• Like 9

Obviously tipping is a personal choice.  On our recent Wonder OTS sailing we tipped the following in addition to the auto.  There are plenty of envelopes that show up toward the end of your cruise for cash tipping.  Lystra our cabin steward was fantastic $50, Jean, Ass't Manager Costal Kitchen, really went above and beyond $100, Michael (CK waiter) great guy and very attentive ($50).  Rosita (150 CP) was so great and food so good we went back a second time, added an extra $20 to the included tip.  Same at Mason Jar for excellent service and decent food.  I didn't tip any bartenders as there was nothing special there 18% seemed more than enough.  I did see people leave $2-$5 at the suite sun deck bar,  not sure if that was per drink or just for the day.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

We never remove auto tip, plus we add

5 dollars for waiter for breakfast and lunch and ten for dinner if service was good

tip bartender a dollar a drink in suite lounge or bar

tip room steward 50 or 60

Might tip concierge depending on service.

Note, I am not wanting to tip less money.   I am a former waitress, and am pro-tipping. 

But, it bugs me that people I might never see or have anything to do with might get some of the tip money.  
It also bugs me that there is the rumor that the company doesn't pass on all the tip money.   I know this has been a problem in restaurants.   Not one I worked in, but it has been sometimes a thing and I can totally see Royal corporate bean-counters doing that.  

So, for those that don't auto-gratuity how much do you give people?   I am thinking of matching the auto-gratuity amount  These are the things I can see us doing.  

• MDR meals 
  • WJ meals
  • Pool/towel attendants
  • DH will be buying an occasional beer, and the girls will likely get sodas on the refreshment package.  So bartenders.  
  • If there is a poker game, I'd like to do that.   Tipping the dealer is normally a thing.   I assume it is the same on a cruise.  

For those that tip but don't do auto-gratuity, how much do you tip each person?   Obviously people do different things on the ship, so spread the money differently.  But I thought if I had a few examples, I'd be better educated.   
I assume that the cabin steward is a certain $ per day.   Meals per person per meal makes sense.  

I once thought about writing an algorithm to determine, to the penny, who and what amount we would tip factoring in the utility we get from each service, the cost of each service, the probability we would use each service, the time of day each service was performed, and how the tip calculated was relative to the average income of the countries whose waters we would be closet to at the time of the tip giving.   

I got to line number 1 of the algorithm and said "Frig it',  I'm on vacation, all I want to think about is what wine to order at dinner and do I tan my front or back today. 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I got to line number 1 of the algorithm and said "Frig it',  I'm on vacation, all I want to think about is what wine to order at dinner and do I tan my front or back today. 😁

and that my friends is the correct answer!  

5 hours ago, robmtx said:

On the contrary, it's actually very easy, and no hassle whatsoever. No questions asked! You can call or stop by GS any time during your cruise and simply ask to have them removed...even if some have already been charged to your account. Your account won't close until final day, so just stop by during the week. We walk by GS enough during the week that we always find a moment when they have no line.

In my opinion all the cruise lines should stop allowing this practice.  I have never heard one justifiable reason for allowing this.

• Like 5

Reasons not to remove the auto-gratuity: 

- The staff members signed on knowing how the tip system works, so they must have found the compensation acceptable.  Why should I try to change something that both management and labor agreed upon?  

- It guarantees you'll reach all the people behind the scenes.  No possibility of accidentally forgetting someone.  

- It's easier for the guest. 

- It's easier for the staff. 

- If you have the RCCI VISA card, you can earn reward points while paying your gratuities.  

• Like 5

• MDR meals 
  • WJ meals
  • Pool/towel attendants

🤣🤣🤣 You better bring a boat load of cash.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:54 PM, smokeybandit said:

Or just pay the gratuities and tips others as you deem fit. A lot simpler that way.

👍🏼

On 12/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, poocher said:

Just because you don’t SEE them, doesn’t mean they aren’t contributing to your cruise enjoyment.

👍🏼

3 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I was trying to think of people that I'd interact with.   Wouldn't they be one of the customer-facing employees included in the auto-grat. pool?  

I wouldn't tip someone just for hanging me a towel. But everyone should tip or not tip whoever and whatever they want. It's nobody else's business.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Reasons not to remove the auto-gratuity: 

- The staff members signed on knowing how the tip system works, so they must have found the compensation acceptable.  Why should I try to change something that both management and labor agreed upon?  

- It guarantees you'll reach all the people behind the scenes.  No possibility of accidentally forgetting someone.  

- It's easier for the guest. 

- It's easier for the staff. 

- If you have the RCCI VISA card, you can earn reward points while paying your gratuities.  

Wouldn't it be easier to just add the gratuities to the advertised fare and be done with it? 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, pcur said:

I have felt for decades in restaurants a frustration that I cannot tip the cooks.  I don't see them, but I definitely benefited from their labor.  

Well, there's always Teppan restaurants, but I get you. Sometimes you can tell that whoever worked on the dish put extra effort into it that day, and other than saying "My compliments to the chef" or a survey, you don't really get much opportunity to reward. Even a chain restaurant can have the food taste differently depending on who is cooking and whether they have a good attitude about their work.

Anyway, back to the OP, there's been a lot of mutterings that tips are shared amongst the crew. So if you remove the auto tip and tip manually, the laundry lady is probably still getting some of it.

59 minutes ago, PolicromaSol said:

Well, there's always Teppan restaurants, but I get you. Sometimes you can tell that whoever worked on the dish put extra effort into it that day, and other than saying "My compliments to the chef" or a survey, you don't really get much opportunity to reward. Even a chain restaurant can have the food taste differently depending on who is cooking and whether they have a good attitude about their work.

Anyway, back to the OP, there's been a lot of mutterings that tips are shared amongst the crew. So if you remove the auto tip and tip manually, the laundry lady is probably still getting some of it.

So, when you give them cash, they still put it in a pool?   

I think some people say they don’t tip in these threads just to troll people.

Some really don’t tip.

Some lie.

Some tip extra.

Some like the idea of giving their money to the person giving them great service and are not concerned if that person does or does not have to split the tip.

I am trying to pick which one to be on our next cruise.

11 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

Some like the idea of giving their money to the person giving them great service and are not concerned if that person does or does not have to split the tip.

I am trying to pick which one to be on our next cruise.

This procedure works great for me and I lose no sleep over it and feel very comfortable that I’ve done the right thing

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

So, when you give them cash, they still put it in a pool?   

My responsibility is to pay my tips.  What happens next is not my biz. 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just add the gratuities to the advertised fare and be done with it? 

That was the point. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, cruisegus said:

In my opinion all the cruise lines should stop allowing this practice.  I have never heard one justifiable reason for allowing this.

Very easy answer: if payment would be mandatory they would have to make it part of the advertised cruise fare.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:05 PM, taglovestocruise said:

There is no way to get tips to the many behind the scene workers that are in the pool.  I believe #3 is you ultimate goal. 

If they are not directly impacting my service why should I directly tip them? 

• Like 3