Broken wine bottle

N2DFIRE

23 hours ago, N2DFIRE said:

What would you do if someone’s else wine bottle broke and soaked two of your suitcases on embarkment day.  

If you have travel insurance make a claim.  Also contact Royal and see if they will cover any costs.  If it broke once it was aboard the ship I think it is their problem.  Not sure how you could prove that.

9 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Now that I've had time to think about it I have my answer. No alcohol allowed on board. Solves the broken bottle question. People are told to carry on only. Apparently that is too complicated for some. So make it a no go period. You can't bring irons for fire safety, foods for health safety, etc. Plus the endless we need to make money off of you, times have been hard for the industry issue. It's sold on board every five feet. I can't bring Diet Coke to the movies. They will stop me. Must buy a $9 cup from them. (Yes, that's what they charge here). I don't bring a 2 litter bottle into a restaurant with me. So stop it altogether and buy on board only. No wine stains. Don't drink, don't care. 

(Toiletries I still consider a need not a want, so that's different. Stuck with that problem I guess). Just an idea. 😁

I think that policy might it worse, not better.  If they cannot bring it aboard in their carryon luggage, some may pack it in their checked luggage, hoping it will slip through, resulting in more breakables in checked luggage.

Seems like it would easy for Royal to figure out whose bottle it was.   
Take all wine soaked luggage to luggage jail.    As people request their luggage, open up the luggage and there will be a broken bottle.   

Charge that person's account for laundry services for the innocent people.    

Hand over the name and address of the guilty person to the innocents in case they want to small claims sue for new luggage, because you know that luggage is totally ruined.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Now that I've had time to think about it I have my answer. No alcohol allowed on board. Solves the broken bottle question. People are told to carry on only. Apparently that is too complicated for some. So make it a no go period. You can't bring irons for fire safety, foods for health safety, etc. Plus the endless we need to make money off of you, times have been hard for the industry issue. It's sold on board every five feet. I can't bring Diet Coke to the movies. They will stop me. Must buy a $9 cup from them. (Yes, that's what they charge here). I don't bring a 2 litter bottle into a restaurant with me. So stop it altogether and buy on board only. No wine stains. Don't drink, don't care. 

(Toiletries I still consider a need not a want, so that's different. Stuck with that problem I guess). Just an idea. 😁

Swing and a miss. People were smuggling alcohol onboard long before RC allowed the two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin. Wouldn't surprise me if some are still smuggling alcohol onboard. If there's a will, there's a way. 😁🍷

7 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Seems like it would easy for Royal to figure out whose bottle it was.   
Take all wine soaked luggage to luggage jail.    As people request their luggage, open up the luggage and there will be a broken bottle.   

Charge that person's account for laundry services for the innocent people.    

Hand over the name and address of the guilty person to the innocents in case they want to small claims sue for new luggage, because you know that luggage is totally ruined.  

You would think there would have been multiple impacted bags, as it must have been quite a bit of spilled wine leaking from the passenger’s bag if two of the OP’s cases were soaked.  If none of the bags contained a broken bottle, it suggests a bottle broke in somebody’s luggage before the cruise (flight, perhaps), bottle was removed, and already damaged luggage was checked (perhaps planning to pin the damage on the cruise, while exposing other peoples luggage to the mess.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

Yeah, that’s it. 
Punish the entire population based on the act of one inconsiderate jerk. 
The common outlook of the general public nowadays. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

A sure-fire recipe to make the situation worse; drive it underground 

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, N2DFIRE said:

What would you do if someone’s else wine bottle broke and soaked two of your suitcases on embarkment day.  

Is this a good example why one should use rum runners?

Edited by soremekun

8 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I dont think there is anything you can do except go wash your clothes.

Its not royals fault they didnt pack the case.

You are unlikely to know whos case it was.

Claim on your insurance for anything major damaged.

Sorry to say and i feel for you but nothing you can do sadly. 

Royal, using the policies they set, took possession of your bag and returned it soaked in wine. If it just needs washed, it's one thing, but if it's stained/ruined, it's no different than if they lost it. I doubt anyone is pursuing it in court, but Royal has plenty of responsibility here.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, N2DFIRE said:

Could you kindly please give us more details? Thanks.

FWIW -

I never take wine on board.  I get enough from Royal delivered to my cabin.

Sometimes I get too much, and I take it home with me.  I put it in the large suitcase that RC hauls out of the cabin corridors after 10 P.M. on the last night, stores in the hold with hundreds of other bags, then delivers to the terminal for pickup on disembarkation day.

Never has one of my bottles broken.

🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Royal, using the policies they set, took possession of your bag and returned it soaked in wine. If it just needs washed, it's one thing, but if it's stained/ruined, it's no different than if they lost it. I doubt anyone is pursuing it in court, but Royal has plenty of responsibility here.

How is this Royal’s fault?  Someone, against policy and undoubtedly without Royal’s knowledge or permission, put wine in their checked bag.  Clearly not protected properly, one  or more bottles broke, soaking adjacent bags.  How is Royal responsible?

• Thanks 1

Fun Fact and completely off topic but 10 years or so ago, Freedom of the Seas, our suitcases arrived in our stateroom (hardside luggage) and everything inside was soaking wet. And I mean soaking. I was so perplexed by it and come to find out, a dock porter (not RCCL) had mishandled a cart and it fell into the water in port. RCCL dock hands fished them all out (about 20 cases and many our party of 8.) Whenever we cruise now, I use my packing cubes and slide them in those jumbo zip lock storage bags (for bedding)....that was a real rough sailing for 24 hours until some of our clothing started to come back from laundry. Not to mention the unfixable things. Like my formal shoes and handbags. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, poocher said:

How is this Royal’s fault?  Someone, against policy and undoubtedly without Royal’s knowledge or permission, put wine in their checked bag.  Clearly not protected properly, one  or more bottles broke, soaking adjacent bags.  How is Royal responsible?

While in Royals possession they become responsible for the bag and it's contents. One could even argue there rough mishandling of the bags caused contents to break. 

Buy my personal view is carry it on or do without. I will say though with alcohol being such an issue, maybe cruise lines need to be extra careful handling bags.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TX-Cruiser said:

Fun Fact and completely off topic but 10 years or so ago, Freedom of the Seas, our suitcases arrived in our stateroom (hardside luggage) and everything inside was soaking wet. And I mean soaking. I was so perplexed by it and come to find out, a dock porter (not RCCL) had mishandled a cart and it fell into the water in port. RCCL dock hands fished them all out (about 20 cases and many our party of 8.) Whenever we cruise now, I use my packing cubes and slide them in those jumbo zip lock storage bags (for bedding)....that was a real rough sailing for 24 hours until some of our clothing started to come back from laundry. Not to mention the unfixable things. Like my formal shoes and handbags. 

Which is why when we sail we only take small cases we can wheel on ourselves. No stress over what happens to our luggage then. 

We have seen way too many cases being thrown around by porters in our times. Also seen videos of luggage being fished out of sea.

One must question what sort of state the culprits clothes in their case came out like if the OP’s was saturated. They would have had the bulk absorbed by their own clothes   Plus the potential of damage from the broken glass.

I’m sure they won’t be doing g that again in a hurry.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

FWIW -

I never take wine on board.  I get enough from Royal delivered to my cabin.

Sometimes I get too much, and I take it home with me.  I put it in the large suitcase that RC hauls out of the cabin corridors after 10 P.M. on the last night, stores in the hold with hundreds of other bags, then delivers to the terminal for pickup on disembarkation day.

Never has one of my bottles broken.

🙂

But it could and it stinks that you would put other people's belongings in a position to be ruined.

11 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Yeah, that’s it. 
Punish the entire population based on the act of one inconsiderate jerk. 
The common outlook of the general public nowadays. 

Poor poor people would actually have to pay for their alcohol on board. Lol. I'm crying. Having to walk up to a bar and pay for a drink instead of carrying booze around with you is hardly a punishment. What is it about a cruise ship that makes people so desperate for a drink? 

12 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I think that policy might it worse, not better.  If they cannot bring it aboard in their carryon luggage, some may pack it in their checked luggage, hoping it will slip through, resulting in more breakables in checked luggage.

Maybe open every bag for an inspection before boarding?