Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

On 1/22/2024 at 3:44 PM, DHP1 said:

If you’re located on deck 9 midship, look up from your balcony. You’re being watch. Lol

No worries.  We are not but will probably be spending most of our time in the Cabana part of the cabin or the Cabana Deck.  We have been on enough Princess ships to know that "being watched" is not really an issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VaCaSKR said:

Hi Folks,

New here, please forgive me is it's already been discussed....but the Princess Website has a Guest Size of 4200 and a Crew Size of only 1150. Other websites had the crew size at 1547 so I started a chat on the Princess website with one of their agents and they confirmed that the crew size is only 1150.  That ratio is concerning seeing how most ships with 4,000+ guests have at least 1500 Crew.  Anyone else concerned with that?  We are thinking of jumping over from Celebrity to try this cruise out, but that's no where near the 2850/1250 ratio that Celebrity has on their Solstice class.  Crowds are one thing with 4200 people but when they don't have enough bar tenders or cleaners.....

The Princess website does list 1150 crew members for the Sun Princess. That doesn’t sound very good. 

Really disappointing to not see the PR ramping up yet. Even the crew aren’t posting anything on Instagram although I believe this is because they aren’t allowed to. With just two weeks to go until the first cruise, I would have thought the PR machine would have started by now.

Edited by Geoffa30
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Really disappointing to not see the PR ramping up yet. Even the crew aren’t posting anything on Instagram although I believe this is because they aren’t allowed to. With just two weeks to go until the first cruise, I would have thought the PR machine would have started by now.

Yep, complete radio silence 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

@Geoffa30 The Icon Of The Seas maiden voyage with revenue passengers is this Saturday.  Every news outlet across the country and the civilized world will be running stories about that ship for at least the next week.  And, social media will be plastered with live-from stories, photos, and videos.  If I were advising Princess, I would tell them not to waste marketing dollars at this point in time, because their message would get drowned out by everything Icon.  You will probably be seeing the marketing machine go into action as soon as all the hoop-la about Icon dies down.  As to the crew not posting, I'm sure corporate has put an end to that, because they are the ones who want to do the final reveal in a manner that would give them the most bang for the buck.  

Aaron Janis, MCC

Makes sense!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

@Geoffa30 The Icon Of The Seas maiden voyage with revenue passengers is this Saturday.  Every news outlet across the country and the civilized world will be running stories about that ship for at least the next week.  And, social media will be plastered with live-from stories, photos, and videos.  If I were advising Princess, I would tell them not to waste marketing dollars at this point in time, because their message would get drowned out by everything Icon.  You will probably be seeing the marketing machine go into action as soon as all the hoop-la about Icon dies down.  As to the crew not posting, I'm sure corporate has put an end to that, because they are the ones who want to do the final reveal in a manner that would give them the most bang for the buck.  

Aaron Janis, MCC

But by the time the hoopla about Icon dies down, they will Sun will already be into the first revenue sailing.   I find it odd that they haven’t even updated the deck plans yet.

And on that 1,150 crew number, my bet is they just have a typo on that page that hasn’t been corrected.  Since many sites list a crew complement of 1,550, that seems like a more realistic number.  

• Like 2

Have any of you with bookings on the inaugural sailing been invited to join the pre-inaugural VIP sailing? Usually by now those invites would be out there since people have to change flights. 

10 hours ago, vividharp said:

I feel like you’re being watched on any balcony on the Sun from what I can tell from the photos. 🤣

Well I'm very happy with my deck 15 delux balcony cabin some 10 away from the bridge winglets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dides said:

Yep, complete radio silence 

well hold on now. I think this is a new trend, I've seen this tactic with other product launches. The shock and awe effect 😲 & 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

But by the time the hoopla about Icon dies down, the Sun will already be into the first revenue sailing.   I find it odd that they haven’t even updated the deck plans yet.

And on that 1,150 crew number, my bet is they just have a typo on that page that hasn’t been corrected.  Since many sites list a crew complement of 1,550, that seems like a more realistic number.  

Back in 2014, I was on the 2nd sailing of the Quantum of The Seas (1st ship in that class).  There was a film crew on board shooting footage for TV commercials about the ship, the entire 10 days of the cruise.  It was like being on a Hollywood movie set, watching them set-up shots, then filming them over and over till the director was happy.  After a few days of following them around, some of the crew got to know me, and were willing to answer questions I had.  They said it would likely be about a month before the commercials would hit the air.  Possibly, Princess has been waiting for the Sun to be finished, in order to get real footage of the interiors and exteriors for their marketing campaign.

Oh, remember we've already bought their new product, so we aren't the target demographic for the marketing campaign.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

I was on the 2nd sailing of the Quantum of The Seas (1st ship in that class).  There was a film crew on board shooting footage for TV commercials about the ship

They did the same thing for Odyssey.  I know I have several photos of them filming onboard.  We were on one of the first sailings after the inaugural. 

Well we have just received the saddest news.  The Feb 8th inaugural has been cancelled so we, at least, won't be able to experience and report back on the new build.

February 8 Departure Canceled

Dear Valued Princess Guest,

We hope this message finds you well. We are writing to share an important update regarding the delivery and launch of our highly anticipated Sun Princess® ship.

Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly in collaboration with our shipyard partners at Fincantieri to ensure the completion of the revolutionary Sun Princess®. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, Fincantieri and Princess have mutually agreed to delay delivery of the ship, which unfortunately requires us to cancel the inaugural cruise scheduled for February 8.

We understand that this news is disappointing, and we share in your disappointment. We recognize the anticipation that surrounded this sailing, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation causes.

You will receive a full refund of the cruise fare along with any additional onboard services that were pre-purchased, as well as a 50% future cruise credit (FCC) that can be used on a future Princess® voyage. Rest assured, your booking will be automatically canceled, and you do not need to take any action to initiate the refund process. Your refund will be processed within three weeks and credited back to your original form of payment, and your FCC will be automatically added to your account.

Furthermore, we understand that changes to your air travel plans may be necessary. To ease this process, we are prepared to provide you with up to $200 per guest to cover change fees related to your flights. We kindly request that you provide any documentation of the fees by using this link: http://princess.com/refund-request

We understand the inconvenience and frustration that this news may bring, and we sincerely apologize for the disruption to your travel plans. We are committed to ensuring that your future experiences with Princess Cruises are nothing short of extraordinary.

We genuinely hope that you will consider joining us on another Sun Princess® voyage, where we promise to provide you with an unforgettable journey filled with adventure, relaxation, and cherished memories.

Once again, we extend our deepest apologies for the inconvenience this situation has caused and thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Sincerely,
John Padgett

President

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 6

There's not a lot of information in the press release regarding the cause of the delay.  At this point, they are only cancelling the inaugural cruise, but it seems like they could cancel others depending on the severity of the issue.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dides said:

Well we have just received the saddest news.  The Feb 8th inaugural has been cancelled so we, at least, won't be able to experience and report back on the new build.

Sad news, indeed.  This maybe explains the lack of updates recently.   From the photos during the sea trials, it appeared there was still a lot of work to be done.  

• Like 1

Strange that there are 1600 posts on this thread and only one person has received this sad notice.

I'm NOT questioning the veracity of the notice - just really wondering about why among the almost 4000 people affected only one is on this thread.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

Just now, chamima said:

Strange that there are 1600 posts on this thread and only one person has received this sad notice.

It is all over fb. Many have received this email.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dog said:

It is all over fb. Many have received this email.

And once someone has posted it (it's only an hour old) why do other people have to post it too?  As dog said, my husband heard it first on FB.  I just came here to see what people are saying here (since I'm not on FB).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

I'm NOT questioning the veracity of the notice - just really wondering about why among the almost 4000 people affected only one is on this thread.

There is a press release too https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-fincantieri-mutually-agree-to-postpone-sun-princess-delivery-302043689.html

February 8 Inaugural Voyage Cancelled

MONFALCONE, Italy, Jan. 24, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises and Fincantieri have mutually agreed to delay delivery of Sun Princess, the largest vessel ever constructed in Italy and the first ship of a revolutionary new platform designed exclusively for the Princess brand. The postponement has regrettably led to the cancellation of the ship's inaugural 10-day voyage, originally set to depart from Barcelona on February 8th.

"We understand that this news is disappointing, and we share in that disappointment. We recognize the anticipation that surrounded this sailing, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation causes," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises.

Guests who were booked on of the inaugural voyage will receive a full refund of the cruise fare along with any additional onboard services that were pre-purchased, as well as a 50% future cruise credit (FCC) that can be used on a future Princess voyage*. Guests also will receive up to $200 per person for change fees related to air travel plans. 

Princess is also protecting travel agent commissions.

*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025.

SOURCE Princess Cruises

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geez, I've been keeping this thread going for months and it does seem like you are questioning me!

• Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, dides said:

Geez, I've been keeping this thread going for months and it does seem like you are questioning me!

Not at all !!!!!!!!

I'm REALLY sorry if it came off that way.

I just expected the thread to blow up and was surprised when it didn't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dides said:

There is a press release too https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-fincantieri-mutually-agree-to-postpone-sun-princess-delivery-302043689.html

February 8 Inaugural Voyage Cancelled

MONFALCONE, Italy, Jan. 24, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises and Fincantieri have mutually agreed to delay delivery of Sun Princess, the largest vessel ever constructed in Italy and the first ship of a revolutionary new platform designed exclusively for the Princess brand. The postponement has regrettably led to the cancellation of the ship's inaugural 10-day voyage, originally set to depart from Barcelona on February 8th.

"We understand that this news is disappointing, and we share in that disappointment. We recognize the anticipation that surrounded this sailing, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation causes," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises.

Guests who were booked on of the inaugural voyage will receive a full refund of the cruise fare along with any additional onboard services that were pre-purchased, as well as a 50% future cruise credit (FCC) that can be used on a future Princess voyage*. Guests also will receive up to $200 per person for change fees related to air travel plans. 

Princess is also protecting travel agent commissions.

*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025.

SOURCE Princess Cruises

And you have helped so many of us!

The News is so sad.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

SEE POINTS 4, 5 & 7 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Sun Princess Ship Delay Announcement

1. Why is Princess cancelling the inaugural Sun Princess voyage? What voyages are affected by the delay?

Answer: Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly in collaboration with our shipyard partners at Fincantieri to ensure the completion of the revolutionary Sun Princess. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, Fincantieri and Princess have mutually agreed to delay delivery of the ship which unfortunately requires us to cancel the inaugural cruise scheduled for February 8.

2. What are you doing for guests who were booked on this inaugural voyage?

Answer: Guests who were booked on the inaugural voyage that has been cancelled will receive a full refund of the cruise fare and any optional onboard services that were purchased for the cruise, along with 50% future cruise credit (*FCC must be booked by November 30, 2024 and sailed by December 31, 2025).  Bookings are being automatically cancelled and there is no need for guests to take any action. All refunds will be processed within three weeks to the original form of payment. 

Guests will also receive up to $200 per person for change fees related to air travel plans.  Guests should use this link to provide documentation of their airfare change fees - http://princess.com/refund-request

3. Will travel agency commissions be protected?

Answer: Yes, we will protect travel agency commissions. The delay was not caused by our travel agency partners, and they should be duly rewarded for their hard work and support, and it is only fair that we safeguard their commissions for the bookings they secured for this inaugural voyage.

4. Why are you just now announcing the delay so close to the original launch date? Why didn't you communicate this sooner?

Answer: Princess Cruises has just received notification from the shipyard about the delay. The shift in date of the maiden voyage is due to unforeseen challenges and delays encountered at the shipyard, where our shipbuilding partners at Fincantieri faced unexpected challenges. They are working to resolve these issues and expedite final preparations. We share in our guests’ frustration and appreciate their patience. We apologize for this unfortunate delay. 

5. When will the Sun Princess maiden voyage now take place?

Answer: The only voyage that has been cancelled due to the delayed delivery of the ship is the cruise departing Barcelona on Feb 8.

6. Do guests booked on the cancelled voyage need to call in to get their refund?

Answer: No. Booking will be automatically canceled and guests do not need to take any action to initiate the refund process.  Refund will be processed within three weeks and credited back to the original form of payment, and FCCs will be automatically added to guest accounts.

7. Are any other voyages at risk?

Answer: The current delivery delay only impacts the Feb 8 inaugural voyage.

• Thanks 4