Virgin Atlantic - What do you think?

pappy1022

My TA got back to me today and I got my desired flights from Austin (non gateway city) to Copenhagen via London on British Airways and on the return I have a direct flight from London to Austin via Virgin Atlantic. I only have to pay the $175/person deviation fee to get these flights even though I am not traveling from a gateway city. Having never flown Virgin Atlantic, What are your experiences with them?  Do you know if their premium or upper class is equivalent to business class on other airlines? They use different terminology. Today was the first day to be able to talk to Regent about air deviations and I must admit it was quick, so the issues that people have noted about waiting days or weeks for Regent to get back to them, at least in my case, didn’t occur.

I can only speak from personal experience. We have flown with Virgin a few times and BA,. We much prefer Virgin, the staff are really friendly, their planes are very modern. 

We normally fly as Virgin call it "upper class" which by any other name is Business class. We have booked upper class to Barbados from London in February to join a cruise ship. You can sit at a bar or have food there.  Both airlines have a similar price, like most airlines economy or coach some call it are the same as other airlines, all squashed in.

In addition, their lounge facilities are top class, you can have a hair cut a spa Etc. BA are OK but the staff are some times standoffish,  they both have a flat bed seat for long haul. 

Look at Virgin reviews if you are not sure, others may have a different opinion, personal choice really.

Virgin has been using their brand new Airbus A350 on the Austin route which has the new Upper class suites. They have sliding doors and are very private and spacious, far superior to BAs old “forward backward” set up. 

Virgins Premium economy is also very nice with a wide seat and upgraded food and drinks. As others have mentioned we have found Virgins crews to be very friendly. 

At this time the Virgin flight from London to Austin is on a Boeing 787-9 airplane. The upper class seating arrangement looks a little strange with feet hanging out in plain view as you walk down the aisle. Still it’s a direct flight and I look forward to getting back home without any connections and with no additional out of pocket cost. Is the upper class wing entrance at Heathrow easy to find? It sounds like it would definitely enhance the check in and security check processes that can get pretty lengthy at Heathrow (or any major airport).

47 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

At this time the Virgin flight from London to Austin is on a Boeing 787-9 airplane..... Is the upper class wing entrance at Heathrow easy to find? It sounds like it would definitely enhance the check in and security check processes that can get pretty lengthy at Heathrow (or any major airport).

We flew Delta Business Class in July from Heathrow so we used the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class check in and lounge. Yes, it's fairly easy to find, up an escalator.  But be forewarned, Heathrow was very busy and we had a bit of a line.  Not more than 20-30 minutes, and way shorter than any other line, but factor that into your arrival.  The Upper Class lounge was fairly crowded but we did find seats.  

Anyway, here's a very good review of the Virgin 787-9 Upper Class and it shows both the entrance to the Upper Class security check in and a view of the lounge.  

• Like 1

Much prefer Virgin Atlantic over British Airways, and the lounge at LHR is great! I did recently fly LHR-LAX on British Airways and was pleasantly surprised with their new business class seats. I hated the former configuration. That being said, I would choose VA over BA if I have a choice. I usually book with miles, so it's whatever airline I can secure award seats on. 

Thank you all (or y’all) for reassuring me that Virgin Atlantic is a good product. My plane is a Boeing 787-9 and I must admit that the seat configuration in business class is a bit funky and lacks the privacy, seat adjustability and storage that the more modern business class seats provide. But it’s a direct flight from London to Austin (non gateway city) and there are no additional charges, so I am happy. The flight from Austin to Copenhagen via London Heathrow via a BA Airbus 350 is acceptable to me as well. We have a 3 hour layover at Heathrow so that should be adequate. I am now trying to figure out the Heathrow process for  immigration, moving between terminals and through security so any help or advice in those matters is appreciated. I read about some fast track methods to get through immigration but I am not quite sure what I have to have in place or what airport technology I have to use to make this process go smoothly and quickly. Again, any advice is appreciated. I have been to Heathrow multiple times visiting London but I have never had to transfer between terminals.

22 hours ago, caviargal said:

100%.

BA has the worst Business class IMO and IME.

Also has the worst Premium Economy IMO - have had two bad experiences with BA. In future, I'd even go out of my way to avoid them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Thank you all (or y’all) for reassuring me that Virgin Atlantic is a good product. My plane is a Boeing 787-9 and I must admit that the seat configuration in business class is a bit funky and lacks the privacy, seat adjustability and storage that the more modern business class seats provide. But it’s a direct flight from London to Austin (non gateway city) and there are no additional charges, so I am happy. The flight from Austin to Copenhagen via London Heathrow via a BA Airbus 350 is acceptable to me as well. We have a 3 hour layover at Heathrow so that should be adequate. I am now trying to figure out the Heathrow process for  immigration, moving between terminals and through security so any help or advice in those matters is appreciated. I read about some fast track methods to get through immigration but I am not quite sure what I have to have in place or what airport technology I have to use to make this process go smoothly and quickly. Again, any advice is appreciated. I have been to Heathrow multiple times visiting London but I have never had to transfer between terminals.

use this link:

Flight connections | Airport information | British Airways  and this sub link Which terminal | airport information | British Airways   to verify which terminals you are arrive/leaving.  I don't think you need to go through immigration since you are a transit passenger.

there is also a bunch of info on most all airlines and hubs on Flyertalk.  You can read up on Virgin there.

Edited by Lonedaddy

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

The flight from Austin to Copenhagen via London Heathrow via a BA Airbus 350 is acceptable to me as well. We have a 3 hour layover at Heathrow so that should be adequate. 

The A350 has the new club suites big improvement over the old club world seats.  

BA - The Club - Fly in style in the new Club Suite

• Like 1

Agreeing with @Lonedaddy here and would always favour the BA A350 club suites on that direct flight from Austin every time - flew home from Chicago last week in one actually.  I guess I'm in the minority here but will stick my head above the parapet and say that I loathe the attitude I've experienced from Virgin cabin crew generally and would choose BA Club every time - I guess I'm old fashioned like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the feedback from many British passengers just disembarking the navigator today BA stands for B!00dy Awful.  Missed flights, missed cruise and having to board at first port stop, no luggage for 4 days (and even no luggage at all), BA ground crew telling passengers at Manchester that their missed flights were not their problem, standing in a queue at Manchester for 1.5 hours just to drop bags off (and that included first and business class passengers) - the list goes on. The people who flew Virgin were however fine and now we have the passport control strike to face in the morning 😢

On 12/18/2022 at 7:40 AM, pappy1022 said:

We flew into Heathrow from Miami and transferred to a flight to Cairo in November.  We had to change terminals by bus which was relatively easy by following the well marked purple signs.  You will have to go through security again when you get to the terminal you are flying from.  Heathrow is very strict about putting ALL of your toiletries in one quart size bag.  My husband had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in a side pocket and his carry on was pulled aside while they slowly and thoroughly searched every nook and cranny.  He was not the only one that got pulled aside. A 3 hour layover should be adequate time but lines were long and slow so I would just keep a steady pace until you get to your terminal.

Just transited through HR from Cape Town to Charlotte. Terminal 5 to T3. It was very early in the morning so no crowds or lines. We were pleasantly surprised by the purple directional signs. Very clear. Still, it took us an hour, including security. Other times of day would take longer. All liquids in carryons need to be placed in a plastic bag, which are available near security.