Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

Will bring a jacket for the holiday cruise.  Why?  Because we board Silver Dawn soon after departing Sojourn.

Who'd have thought five years ago SS would ever surpass SB as a preferred line*?   I have little interest in entertainment offerings.  I appreciate a decent piano player in OB and that has had more misses than satisfactory offerings.  SS new ships have two great drinking venues.....S.A.L.T. bar and the nightclub.  Whisky in former, a bottle of cab latter.  

*Not referring to the blind loyalists every brand enjoys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markham said:

Then there is the matter of “other” standards. I like the vibe generally on Silversea’s 3 larger ships inasmuch as they have long maintained a dress code. But the entertainment vibe is less than interesting vs that on a Seabourn ship. They need to pick up the pace with a far more talented program and group of entertainer singers and dancers. 

While Mr. SLSD cares nothing about evening entertainment, I've always enjoyed it.  But, last time we sailed on SS, it was so abysmal that I skipped the rest after a few nights.  It was truly substandard.  I would miss decent entertainment if we decide to sail SS.  At the same time, I think SB needs to modernize their entertainment a bit.  I'm not asking for Rap, but something a bit more current and varied.  One night there was a country western program and I almost fell out of my seat laughing.  Why not bring some real country western singers onboard if you are even going to attempt country western instead of presenting something totally ersatz and homogenized.  

We will continue to dress as we think appropriate for dining in the MDR--no jeans for us in that venue.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

When I was younger I chafed (literally) at the thought of wearing anything but jeans at dinner be it on land or at sea.  Now, I prefer to get  somewhat dressed up at a fine restaurant or at dinner on an ultra premium segment cruise ship.  Alas, the level of required dress seems to have degraded everywhere.  I, for one, will not govern my conduct by the lowest common denominator.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Goodness, the Hillbillies would be overdressed for Seabourn’s new standard,    Actually Seabourn is behind the times, few people of a younger age wear jeans anymore.  Athletic leisure wear is what they wear.   My husband has slacks from them and they are very comfortable.   They look like normal slacks but are light weight and have considerable stretch.   Most young financial executives are wearing them.    They are not inexpensive but can be had for less than $125.

I find this whole thread quite funny.  Nothing blows up CruiseCritic more than discussions of wardrobe standards.  Honestly, unless someone is wearing really raggedy jeans or swim attire in the MDR, I can't say as I really notice much of what anyone else is wearing.  I've paid a bit more attention to what people wear on "Formal Optional" nights, just because I am mildly curious to see how many folks get really "formal" as opposed to just slightly dressier.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

As a comparison,  we spent 25 days earlier this year on a “world cruise” segment with Regent.  We did enjoy the cruise,  Regent has an “elegant causal” dress code (jeans not allowed) . Well…I have never been on a luxury cruise with such a poorly dressed group of people.  Yes, some dressed more elegantly, but the vast majority of guests seemed to opt for the most basic, low end version of the dress code. For example, it was not uncommon in the evening to see men wearing trousers that  zipped off at the knee (these are the pants that turn into shorts via a zipper at the knee).  Although technically within the dress code, it was not elegant.  Also let’s just say…their “collared shirts” would not be something I would wear gardening or mowing the lawn.  The women were not much better.  Perhaps I expected the “world cruise crowd” to be a little more worldly. 

Is this a trend? Have people become lazy? Are we just too uptight?  I prefer to “dress well” while being comfortable. Not becoming the “lowest common denominator” has usually served us well.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, waldorf said:

The relaxation is good news for us and just in time for our cruise in January. I think it would help if Seabourn gave some clarification on their meaning of ‘elegant’ jeans etc. 

they can’t; there is no such thing as elegant jeans

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 4:31 PM, skybluewaters said:

Slippery slope.  I wonder what would happen if someone strolled into the Restaurant wearing this...

R076-0.jpg

How about “Wow!” ?

On a serious note the statement that there will be no formal nights on Venture is great news. 

2 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Is this a trend?

Yes, to me there is a clear trend towards less focus on what you wear in public on a cruise.  But I think it is tied to the “other trend” where people (for many good reasons) don’t want the hassle of bringing significant amounts of luggage with them. Can’t count anymore how many people we’ve met onboard who are proud of only bringing a roller bag each, or sharing one suitcase.  We struggle and bring usually too much luggage, but it gives us a chance to dress each night as we like to on a cruise; couldn’t do it with minimal luggage. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Yes, to me there is a clear trend towards less focus on what you wear in public on a cruise.  But I think it is tied to the “other trend” where people (for many good reasons) don’t want the hassle of bringing significant amounts of luggage with them. Can’t count anymore how many people we’ve met onboard who are proud of only bringing a roller bag each, or sharing one suitcase.  We struggle and bring usually too much luggage, but it gives us a chance to dress each night as we like to on a cruise; couldn’t do it with minimal luggage. 

But jeans weigh more than other types of pants/slacks/bottoms so it doesn’t make sense why one would want to haul them on a cruise 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, johng75370 said:

We primarily cruise in conjunction with other land-based travel (and don't do extended-length cruises).  If we do a couple of weeks on a ship, we might likely add a several more with "planes, trains, and automobiles" where extra baggage is a definite hindrance.  It can make for a bit of dissonance in the ship environment, unfortunately.  I don't bring blue jeans on a cruise, but I might stretch a point with black ones (and shoes that are multi-purpose but not flashy).

There's no simple answer for the cruise lines.  If you do too much exclusion of those who don't want to bring coat and tie, you start to push away one set of customers.  If you get too casual, the environment stops appealing to another set.        

• Like 3

We also see something of a pattern with older passengers preferring the more formal dress codes and the younger passengers preferring the casual dress codes. Still, a casual dress code has plenty of guidelines such as a collared shirt for men, no sneakers, and no shorts so there won’t be anyone looking “unsightly” to the formal crowd! And anyone who wants to dress up more, certainly can.

• Like 2

I certainly hope that the collared shirts, long trousers (unless dining on deck) minimum rule continues to apply.  I think it will for the foreseeable future.  Along with at least a jacket for formal evenings,  again unless on deck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the issues Seabourn (and their customers) will have to deal with will be what constitutes “elegant” jeans.
Are my brand new Levi 505 jeans elegant? I wouldn’t think so, but others might contend they are. I would prefer that all diners in the MDR wore something nicer. Who will be the final arbiter? I just can’t foresee the maitre d asking anyone to change their jeans because they are not “elegant “ enough. 
On the other hand, jeans of almost any ilk should be acceptable for walking the dog to Seabourn Square. 😳

• Haha 4

On 12/22/2022 at 5:58 AM, lincslady said:

I certainly hope that the collared shirts, long trousers (unless dining on deck) minimum rule continues to apply.  I think it will for the foreseeable future.  Along with at least a jacket for formal evenings,  again unless on deck.

A jacket is only required at The Restaurant. On formal nights, if you’re without a jacket, you don’t have to be out on deck. You’re very welcome at TKG (we book it on all formal nights, specifically for this reason) and the Colonnade. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, purpleally said:

But jeans weigh more than other types of pants/slacks/bottoms so it doesn’t make sense why one would want to haul them on a cruise 

Yes you are correct.  That is why I wear mine when traveling.  Now it would appear I'm allowed to also wear it to dinner.

• Like 1

On a recent Silver Dawn cruise I saw lots of 60s plus Americans embarking the ship wearing grandma jeans, often washed out and droopy Wranglers. Some were so old and poorly fitting they were unrecognizable. Their appearance reminded me that these jeans are probably comfortable to them, and that they are more suited to a run to Walmart. Maybe they are their favourites from the neighbourhood. On disembarkation day they were in play again, and their wives sometimes had on track bottoms. The look could have been "in transit casual" for Costa just as easily.

Fortunately for me, and in deference to the line's dress standards, the jeans were not seen in the indoor dining venues again except for the final breakfast. They were used though at the outdoor poolside Patio Grill dinners "under the plastic" in cooler and inclement weather. Good for them there.

Of course Silversea has a different vibe than does Seabourn- more 5* hotel with butler service and top marks for all food and beverage venues and lots (!) of staff taking care of all business smoothly and competently. Where it trails Seabourn is the spontaneity and warm friendliness of its staff. It's really a floating, fancy hotel and not so much a ship. You will seldom see an officer on deck mixing with passengers. Ditto on hosted tables (unless you are in a top suite and that is a Silversea privilege- although there is no bar to passengers inviting officers themselves) that Seabourn arranges so well to bring officers/staff together with interested passengers. Both lines' staff dress for the important work they do in order to maintain corporate standards.

Seabourn passengers, in particular, seem oblivious to the irony that the staff often dresses in more stylich clothes than they do. That's why it is something of a surprise the first time you see the Colonnade staff at those TK-style dinners wearing the thematic jeans for the rib dinners. Blue jeans on these younger people always looks better, IMO, than on older gentlemen. 

My next beef is about those passengers at dinner in the fine Continental Atlantide Restaurant hollering across tables "hey where are you from?". Now there is a habit that I wish these people would leave at their own homes. On occasion we were obliged to move to another table or section to enjoy our meals in relative peace. I wonder if there is any correlation among some of these "trends".

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Haha 1