People with portable speakers

tunafish

Just returned from 7 day carib cruise and experienced this issue almost daily. People bringing their speakers with them to venues like sorrento's and just blasting their music. One family brought huge setup to labadee beach and were playing reggaeton music during entire stay at the beach. worst thing was cabana next to us on Coco Cay was blasting hiphop with tons of profanity. Question is not the type of music or lyrics - question is the fact that these devices are allowed in public venues. Clearly you can not reason with there "DJ"s as a group next to us in coco just said that we paid a lot of money for this cabana and want to have a good time with our favorite tunes. The fact that we wanted to hear the sound of waves crashing on the sand was not their concern. I know that crew and beach staff will do everything to avoid any type of confrontation and for us anything further would mean physical stand off. I really wish I had a speaker to put some country music facing their way.

• Like 13

This is no different that any passenger who watches a video on their cellphone, volume up and no earbuds or headsets in a public area.

Or what about parents who allow their children to use tablets in a restaurant with audio?  

What we see today in society is a sharp contrast to what I observed in the small breakfast room at a ryokan in Tokyo when the wife's cellphone rang as she was having breakfast with her family.  She practically lunged at the phone to open the line, accepting the calling and stopping it from ringing.  Next she got up and walked out of the room and into the street before she even said spoke the first word to the caller.  Later she returned with the telephone and handed it to her husband who didn't utter a word in the call until he was outside.

It's a form of courtesy and respect for others, acknowledging them and our shared space, that we seem to have stopped passing down from generation to generation through good parenting while we instead made sure every child gets a trophy.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

I guess you need to print a copy of the guest conduct policy and give it to a staff member when you make your complaint.

Those items are prohibited.

C8853468-4A66-4F91-A15C-1CBA0AD57AFD.thumb.jpeg.7a4bdeb30ac00ce7ce5e4d979cbc0dfe.jpeg

Although, in typical Royal fashion, they also encourage use of Bluetooth speakers, since they provide them in some cabanas. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I totally understand how disruptive that can be, especially when you spent money for a cabana and you can’t just get up and move. In that case I would have first asked a crew member if they could say something and I would video that , and then I would have recorded another video and brought it to guest service to have them reimburse some or all of the cost of the cabana. 

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I guess you need to print a copy of the guest conduct policy and give it to a staff member when you make your complaint.

C8853468-4A66-4F91-A15C-1CBA0AD57AFD.thumb.jpeg.7a4bdeb30ac00ce7ce5e4d979cbc0dfe.jpeg

Although, in typical Royal fashion, they also encourage use of Bluetooth speakers, since they provide them in some cabanas. 

Where do you see the guest conduct policy?

2 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

on Royal Caribbean’s web site.  Just google Royal Caribbean Guest Conduct policy.  Sometimes they do a good job of hiding things on their site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I have only seen them in the floating cabanas in Coco Cay.  They were not in the suite cabanas at barefoot beach in October. Are they in other ones?

34 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have only seen them in the floating cabanas in Coco Cay.  They were not in the suite cabanas at barefoot beach in October. Are they in other ones?

According to their FAQ’s all cabanas at Coco Beach have them. 

AC4D9AAA-C607-4629-A5AB-11B1FF8AA95C.thumb.png.d5940167d02017f43c5fef347a08af61.png

15 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

According to their FAQ’s all cabanas at Coco Beach have them. 

AC4D9AAA-C607-4629-A5AB-11B1FF8AA95C.thumb.png.d5940167d02017f43c5fef347a08af61.png

Thanks for this information. We have a Water Park cabana in a couple weeks time which has curtain walls.  I doubt this one will have one but I'm curious to see what will await us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

The sea lawyers will use the "...may not be utilized onboard...." exception. 🤔

• Like 2

It's usually other passengers that ruin a vacation, not the Supplier or its crew. 

We complained twice about the problem to concierge at CocoCay...both times without success. After concierge stopped by to warn the group, the group simply waited for them to leave. The rules don't apply to them I guess. Oh and these were beach beds...ya know the kind that are really for 2 people but can accommodate a family of 4? This group had 12-13 people for a beach bed that day.

Third complaint was to the supervisor, who moved us to a cabana. Sounds good, except the Cabana couches are nowhere near as comfy as lounging on the beach beds. 

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It's also at the fingertips of every passenger in the app:  touch the icon of the person, then profile and scroll down to the About section to find Guest Conduct Policy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

It's usually other passengers that ruin a vacation, not the Supplier or its crew. 

We complained twice about the problem to concierge at CocoCay...both times without success. After concierge stopped by to warn the group, the group simply waited for them to leave. The rules don't apply to them I guess. Oh and these were beach beds...ya know the kind that are really for 2 people but can accommodate a family of 4? This group had 12-13 people for a beach bed that day.

Third complaint was to the supervisor, who moved us to a cabana. Sounds good, except the Cabana couches are nowhere near as comfy as lounging on the beach beds. 

I was going to ask if someone was available to move you to a different cabana.  Sometimes it's better to run than to fight.  

When I was at Cocoa Cay earlier this month, maybe 1/3 of the cabanas were in use, so it would've been possible.  Admittedly, this was off-season, but it appears to me that Royal over-built these expensive spaces.  

We've had a similar issue on Explorer out of San Juan. I'm assuming I don't have to go into detail...if you get my meaning. We were compensated nicely after not only complaining but since it was the first week of our B2B "Miami" saw our comments on our first week survey and we were called into the Guest Services manager's office while still onboard...That's when the compensation was confirmed.

Very surprised at how quick Miami saw our survey and responded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s every cruise line now. We had a similar issue on the NCL Joy in the Haven out on the balcony, but our neighbor didn’t know we were out on the balcony since we were just chilling.  Then she started singing along which was kinda funny….  But then we started talking to each other and she kinda lowered the music some….  Which is what you’re supposed to do!  (Okay, actually supposed to shut it off, but that’s better than nothing!)

• Like 1

We had an aft cabin. The family next to us had a portable speaker. They were playing Bruce Springsteen, loudly. We just said, we like Bruce. (And we were serious, not sarcastic) They just turned it off and went inside. It would have been a totally different situation if we didn't like the music. It is not really a good idea to inflict your own music selection on other people. 😄

• Like 3