Vancouver Departure

CFD130

4 hours ago, CFD130 said:

We have a July cruise booked for Alaska-EZ air shows a return flight leaving from Vancouver-Is that doable- we have b=never flown from Vancouver

Thanks

Our first Alaska cruise many years ago started in Fairbanks and ended in Vancouver. The flights home that we could book wouldn't get us home until well after midnight Ohio local time. We decided to book a hotel for the night near the airport and flew home the next morning.

• Like 1

Flights are shown on EZ Air. Not sure I understand your concern.  What I'm picking up on is a sense of anxiety. I may be wrong in that.

It makes good sense to use Princess transfers at this port, because the distance between the port and Vancouver airport is substantial, an hour if not more during downtown traffic.

So, you should book a flight to allow transit time.

If your question is one of trust, we've had 16 cruises with Princess. Three started or ended at Vancouver. Never had problems at Vancouver airport, and always use Princess transfers with EZ Air booked flights with no problems.

• Like 1

Sorry about that I guess I didnt phrase my question very weel

Yes were are doing Whittier to Vancouver arriving in Vancouver on Aug 5, 2023- The flight I was looking at was a 9:30 Am flight from Vancouver to Seatle with a 3 hour connection to Boston- I was wondering if the 930 flight would work

17 minutes ago, CFD130 said:

Yes were are doing Whittier to Vancouver arriving in Vancouver on Aug 5, 2023- The flight I was looking at was a 9:30 Am flight from Vancouver to Seatle with a 3 hour connection to Boston- I was wondering if the 930 flight would work

No. I would not do it.

Aim for noon or later. You will have to do US Customs/Immigration in Vancouver.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CFD130 said:

Agree with above.

There were some from my cruise using the coach transfer from ship to SEA.

flights from YVR- you need  to allow an hour to get to airport from ship- traffic varies, 2 hours before flight at airport.

I would be thinking about staying overnight in either Vancouver or Sea-Tac and taking an early morning flight to Boston. From years of experience flying from the west coast to the east coast after a cruise this is the way we always book. When you book the same day you arrive very late in the evening or early in the AM and then you have to make your way home. 

2 hours ago, CFD130 said:

I'm genuinely shocked to see that flight even listed by EZAir, as the first transfer shuttle from the pier will probably not arrive until takeoff time! In the past, no cruiseline-booked flight before noon, 12:30pm, or even 1pm has been offered by any line I'm aware of - first shuttles run about 9am and on busy cruise days YVR traffic spikes enough that the recommended 3 hours preflight arrival time really is needed.

You have almost zero chance of making that flight - some folks will still be walking through the pier at 9:30am! Even if you self-disembark - Princess usually starts folks walking off by 7:30am - and get lucky with no queue for cabs (or prebook a limo or hustle right to SkyTrain) you have a 35min drive (if no traffic), a hard cap of 8:30am for bag drop if you have any checked luggage, Security queue and CBP Preclearance to get through before you can reach your gate. Possible? Yes - if this was a 'rush home for a dying relative' situation I'd go for it, but for leisure travel... frankly it would be an incredibly stupid choice.

Even if you're in good shape and can self-disembark with all your bags then walk to SkyTrain with them, and have Global Entry or NEXUS to get into the short queues I would not recommend a flight before 10:30am at the earliest - there are just too many moving parts and things outside your control. Stay overnight - or several days if you have the time - and then book a flight first-thing in the morning would be my advice.

• Like 1

We left the Grand Princess at the port of Vancouver in September and we were the first ones off of the ship. Our group handled all of their own bags and we got off about 7:50 am. We immediately got a cab and arrived at the parking lot of the hotel where our car was parked, about 8:05 am. We then walked to our car.

I do not know how far the airport is but this will give you a reality check on the timing. Are you prepared to haul all of your own luggage to your transfer? I really do not think that you will make your flight; with possible traffic, customs, etc.

An afternoon flight is doable. Taking the Princess transfer is also a good idea.

Edited by nini
Additions
  • Like 1

I think you are always better to take a cab to the airport whilst keeping your eyes on your bags. When you take a shuttle, your bags are put on the shuttle separately. Sometimes your luggage goes in a separate vehicle altogether and you have to wait for it. If you can’t manage your luggage, get porters!

9:30 am is too early. EZAir has Noon as the earliest departure from Vancouver on the date cruise ends.

EZAir shouldn’t have offered you a 9:30 am flight.  You may want to double check the end date in your search or search again to check what’s offered. 

Edited by Shelly97060

I live in Vancouver.  There is NO WAY you would make a 9:30 AM flight.  I suggest Quick Shuttle https://quickcoach.com/ from the pier in Vancouver to SEA/TAC.  The flights to Seattle are usually on small aircraft and the time you will spend at the airport, you would be quicker to take the shuttle, either with Princess of Quick Shuttle.  Pier to airport.  

• Like 2