Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

38 minutes ago, jerryd1 said:

They're not waiting for #1 to start #2......  Celebrity has "Pork and Beans" as an entrée on the dinner menu tonight on the Equinox.

I hope you are joking about the pork and beans, 😡 Like I said yesterday the OV and MDR is becoming more like Golden Corral and or Denny's every day. For example, I am seeing more and more Tilapia on Celebrity menus; this is one of the worst and cheapest trash fish you can buy which is why the OV and MDR is putting it on the menu. Another cheap trash fish is Copia which is about the same quality and cost as Tilapia. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants here in San Antonio use to serve awesome fish tacos with excellent quality fresh Grouper, when they switched to Tilapia, I stopped dinning there.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's simple.  Someone pointed out to me that Modern Luxury has been replaced by Relaxed Luxury.  I'm sure that you can understand the difference.

No, it's Relaxed Luxury℠. You forgot the service mark again. 😇

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe it does not apply to you, but I find that a number of North American cruisers do not have adventurous palates. They often do not like fish and are convinced that steak is the be-all and end-all of proteins. Lamb, squab and duck are considered "exotic".  Heaven forfend they have to deal with sea urchin or pork cheeks. Most don't know a veloute from a vierge.

Yes, you are talking about me. I really dont think of myself as a picky eater. When it comes to meat it is mostly beef, chicken or pork. In general I wont eat lamb, duck, goat, quail, pheasant, horse, deer or veal. Mostly because they are cute. Squab. I new it was pigeon, but did not know it is a young pigeon. Got to put that in with veal. When it comes to fish I do like Pacific salmon. I will eat shrimp, raw or cooked oysters, crab, clams, escargot, octopus, lobster, pickled herring. I do like Luminae's menu over Blu's.

I will eat what is served to me at some ones house or business trip at corporate event. In China I had turtle soup. In Saudi Arabia I was invited to a goat grab.

I have been disappointed in the Oceanview Café Indian food at lunch as Celebrity seems to be pushing fish dishes. What happened to the Indian food with chicken. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You get everything except the deposit.  

Would that not be better than being miserable because you did not get what you booked? 

The deposits are now $900, at least on the cruises I booked.   Plus the cost of canceling other things like airfare plus the lost payment to the travel insurance people.

And the cruises I personally booked are this month so the whole cost is gone, no refund.

41 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You get everything except the deposit.  

Would that not be better than being miserable because you did not get what you booked? 

I sail this Saturday. So no, I won’t get my money back. As for my comment last night, I was being over dramatic and regret it. But it doesn’t change the fact that when I booked my sailing, I was sold one product and now I am getting something quite different. In general I’m pretty easy to please- good food, clean ship, plenty of sunshine and comfy places to read a book are all I need. Feeling a little like the good food thing may not be *quite* on point this time around…

• Like 2

Just now, MamaToMany said:

I sail this Saturday. So no, I won’t get my money back. As for my comment last night, I was being over dramatic and regret it. But it doesn’t change the fact that when I booked my sailing, I was sold one product and now I am getting something quite different. In general I’m pretty easy to please- good food, clean ship, plenty of sunshine and comfy places to read a book are all I need. Feeling a little like the good food thing may not be *quite* on point this time around…

I agree.  Too close to your sailing.  I was assuming it was someone outside the final payment date. 

I strongly recommend that your let the senior staff/officers onboard know your displeasure in the way Celebrity implemented these new changes.  Regardless of the fact that the cruise contract gives them the right to make changes, implementing these changes on guest who cannot cancel for a full refund is totally unsatisfactory.   They should have announced the changes, given  90 - 120 days notice so passengers who disagreed could cancel without penalty, other than NRD, if they chose to do so. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaKahuna said:

I agree.  Too close to your sailing.  I was assuming it was someone outside the final payment date. 

I strongly recommend that your let the senior staff/officers onboard know your displeasure in the way Celebrity implemented these new changes.  Regardless of the fact that the cruise contract gives them the right to make changes, implementing these changes on guest who cannot cancel for a full refund is totally unsatisfactory.   They should have announced the changes, given  90 - 120 days notice so passengers who disagreed could cancel without penalty, other than NRD, if they chose to do so. 

Exactly. That’s really all I’m saying. So many changes only 2 weeks from my sailing feels pretty awful. I’ll absolutely let management know what I think about all of this when I’m onboard. NICELY. I’m sure they are hearing a lot of negativity right now, and I don’t want to be a rude jerk and ruin someone’s day. 

6 minutes ago, MamaToMany said:

If you get a chance to talk to Senior Management on the ship, tell them exactly what you think and let them know that your good friend Pee won't be sailing with Celebrity anytime soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least it sounds a little better than opening a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

Agreed. I was picturing eating it off of a metal plate while sitting around a campfire singing songs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MamaToMany said:

That version of pork and beans sounds like it could be tasty! Now that banana stuffed chicken? Oh dear.

I don't like anything on the menu would probably order one of the timeless entrees.  Glad they haven't gotten rid of those like Royal has.

1 hour ago, jerryd1 said:

They're not waiting for #1 to start #2......  Celebrity has "Pork and Beans" as an entrée on the dinner menu tonight on the Equinox.

OMG, truly. This is appalling but predictable.

As for the posts about Modern Luxury, that concept died when Celebrity went 100% into class apartheid, luxury was only for suite class. I have cruised Celebrity since 1992, yes 1992, and I have experienced the entire life cycle of this cruise line, in the past 5 years Celebrity has substituted quality for the majority of their passengers with distractions like Eden. 

Important, they can get away with much of this because many bookings still include FCC, when these are used up, the client base may be quite different.

I currently have 0 cruises booked and I do not intend to book any.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I don't like anything on the menu would probably order one of the timeless entrees.  Glad they haven't gotten rid of those like Royal has.

Royal still kept many of their classic dishes and others still show up on some of their menus. They just released the new menus this week and it feels more like a refresh with new dishes instead of what many feared would be just an elimination of old favorites.  Although, obviously some are disappointed with the changes, there was a lot of positive comments on the thread I read on Royal’s board yesterday with the release of these menus. I’m actually hoping the new menu gets implemented in time for my Royal cruise on Friday. 

1 hour ago, jerryd1 said:

That isn't new it has been on the menu in the past.  We don't normally eat in the MDR but we do check the menus on the app to see what our options might be and P & B has been around for a while.  

27 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least it sounds a little better than opening a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

There's a time and a place for 'beans'....Bushes or any others.  Just can't enjoy the thought of beans and pork cheeks on an X menu.  Wonder what banana stuffed chicken tastes like?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I don't care much for the menu. Would probably go for the linguine.The pork and beans sounds like someone is tying to be cute. Braised pork  would be a better name.