Cruise Terminal Porters

Scotico

56 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You worry to much. I have been on over 60 cruises and my luggage always arrived at my cabin. I tip $5 per bag to the port porters.. Out of habit because it is customary in the US to tip anyone who picks up bags. In Europe I don't tip when dropping off bags at port cause no one was. On the ship the luugage is taken up elevators and then placed outside cabins. The cabin stewards do it and I don't add a tip for that. It is part of the auto paid gratuity. 

Or, more often, in front of someone else's door.

A few random comments on this topic:

We tip, but the people taking our bags usually seem surprised/gratified to get the tip.  Based on that reaction and the comments in this thread, there are lots of good reasons to tip and to not tip.  I have never felt pressured to tip, except sometimes in one of the S. Florida ports (that's why I qualified the first statement with "usually").

We just sailed Radiance out of New Orleans in December.  When we were heading back to the airport after the cruise, we were surprised to see trolleys with baggage for the next cruise on a side street and unattended.  

When we sailed out of Amsterdam on Royal, we put our baggage on a conveyor belt as soon as we arrived and that went right into the terminal.

We used to sail Disney and had a lengthy discussion with the gentleman taking our luggage to the car when we sailed out of Port Canaveral.  That was when I first found out about longshoremen, as he was one, and he described their various assignments related to handling the cruise ships.

I was recently on Symphony.  We used a porter when we arrived and when we left. Tipped a little when we arrived. I watched him put our cases on the conveyer belt at the terminal. So, I had no concerns. Our bags arrived on time right in front of our door, just like usual. Never had a bag arrival problem in 20+ years of cruising.  I tipped more when wedeparted for home since the porter weaved us past the masses of confused and slow moving folks, through immigration, up to my car, and nicely into the trunk. We tipped plus shared a "holiday bonus " just because I was in a great mood after a great cruise. Pay it forward I guess. No, I was just happy and wanted to share that with someone else. 🤗🌞 I mean what's a few more buds after a week on a cruise, lol. It was nothing compared to what I paid to park in that garage, lol. 

I have no issues using porters and sharing a few bucks with them. Usually a little at arrival. A little bit more at departure. Life is short. 

But, I also am a very friendly customer and I do pay attention to what I can see at the time in terms of where the porter puts my bags. Once I feel ok with my bags' location, I'm off to have a great cruise. 🛳🌞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You worry to much. I have been on over 60 cruises and my luggage always arrived at my cabin. I tip $5 per bag to the port porters.. Out of habit because it is customary in the US to tip anyone who picks up bags. In Europe I don't tip when dropping off bags at port cause no one was. On the ship the luugage is taken up elevators and then placed outside cabins. The cabin stewards do it and I don't add a tip for that. It is part of the auto paid gratuity. 

I don't doubt that the stingy folks can be found at meal time shoveling food down their faces in the WJ ... because they want to get their money's worth ... even if they throw away some food.  LOL!

I'm wondering if the stingy folks also stiff a bartender who may only reach into a cooler, pop the cap off of a bottle of beer and hand it to them?  After all, the bartender isn't mixing a drink, just handing a bottle to us.  Or in bars where the bartender puts the glass under an automatic pour-er, adds a mix and hands it to us.  Do you tip them?  Ship bartenders, as well?

6 minutes ago, Longford said:

I'm wondering if the stingy folks also stiff a bartender who may only reach into a cooler, pop the cap off of a bottle of beer and hand it to them?  After all, the bartender isn't mixing a drink, just handing a bottle to us.  Or in bars where the bartender puts the glass under an automatic pour-er, adds a mix and hands it to us.  Do you tip them?  Ship bartenders, as well?

Well, you can't stiff the bartenders.  Every drink has an automatic 18% tip added.  

17 minutes ago, Longford said:

I'm wondering if the stingy folks also stiff a bartender who may only reach into a cooler, pop the cap off of a bottle of beer and hand it to them?

Ah, so now I see.  You think people are stingy because they don't support a six figure salaried longshoreman with tips, but they do tip for low paid bartenders?  But, I forgot, the "porters" at the cruise terminals are all struggling by on minimum wage, aren't they?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Longford said:

I am confused. What am I missing? How do you stiff a bartender on a ship when the tip is automatically added and you can't change it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longford said:

I don't doubt that the stingy folks can be found at meal time shoveling food down their faces in the WJ ... because they want to get their money's worth ... even if they throw away some food.  LOL!

Say WHAT??!!!

It's funny, these type of threads rarely change anyone's behavior.  In this instance it has changed mine.  I will probably stop tipping when dropping my bags off.  Intellectually I have always known that these are longshoremen who are handling our bags but tipping is so in grained into my thinking I just did it without thinking all the way through.  I won't be tipping them anymore.

I have a set amount I tip every cruise.  I bring a collection of $1's $5's, and $20's specifically for tipping.  The amount I don't tip the longshoremen will simply go to Cruiseline employee's I interact with.  Thanks to everyone for this good discussion. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I am confused. What am I missing? How do you stiff a bartender on a ship when the tip is automatically added and you can't change it? 

Good comment.  I failed to clarify my comment, until the end when I referenced shipboard bartenders.  The earlier reference was, generally, to bartenders anywhere.  🙃Though, while on board ... I did see many people cash tipping bartenders, maybe/likely/possibly in addition to the pre-paid gratuities.

Edited by Longford

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Ah, so now I see.  You think people are stingy because they don't support a six figure salaried longshoreman with tips, but they do tip for low paid bartenders?  But, I forgot, the "porters" at the cruise terminals are all struggling by on minimum wage, aren't they?

You're fantasizing if you think porters ... luggage handlers ... at cruise terminals are earning six-figure salaries.  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is (or was) a big sign at PC terminal that said something along the lines of the porters are not in a tipped position but will accept a tip if given....so nobody should ever think that they have to tip to see the luggage on board 

I'm sure if porters regularly 'forgot' cases because of lack of tips it would be a 'thing' and those porters would be looking for alternative employment.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Longford said:

Good comment.  I failed to clarify my comment, until the end when I referenced shipboard bartenders.  The earlier reference was, generally, to bartenders anywhere.  🙃Though, while on board ... I did see many people cash tipping bartenders, maybe/likely/possibly in addition to the pre-paid gratuities.

Who gets a beer at a bar and doesn’t tip?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gavvy said:

There is (or was) a big sign at PC terminal that said something along the lines of the porters are not in a tipped position but will accept a tip if given....so nobody should ever think that they have to tip to see the luggage on board 

I'm sure if porters regularly 'forgot' cases because of lack of tips it would be a 'thing' and those porters would be looking for alternative employment.

When a bag goes missing some get paranoid like OP that was because of size of a tip or lack of tip. I don't think those employees are going to do that no matter what they make. The port worker puts the bag on a wagon or in a container. After that how are they going to even remember your bag? I don't know what they make but its not a tipped position. I tip anyone who handles my bag out of custom that's all. It is not necessary. A few bags do go missing but it is because of human error. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When a bag goes missing some get paranoid like OP that was because of size of a tip or lack of tip. I don't think those employees are going to do that no matter what they make. The port worker puts the bag on a wagon or in a container. After that how are they going to even remember your bag? I don't know what they make but its not a tipped position. I tip anyone who handles my bag out of custom that's all. It is not necessary. A few bags do go missing but it is because of human error. 

I would be surprised if the person who put your bag on the cart ever touches your bag a second time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bring my luggage with me.  It arrives to my cabin as I do. 

This solution doesn't work for everyone.  It works for me.  I tip myself in bar drinks. 

My luggage is a 26" spinner.  It has to be checked for a plane ride.  It does not have to be checked at cruise terminals.  It fits through the x-ray. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, splashsmom said:

A few random comments on this topic:

We tip, but the people taking our bags usually seem surprised/gratified to get the tip.  Based on that reaction and the comments in this thread, there are lots of good reasons to tip and to not tip.  I have never felt pressured to tip, except sometimes in one of the S. Florida ports (that's why I qualified the first statement with "usually").

We just sailed Radiance out of New Orleans in December.  When we were heading back to the airport after the cruise, we were surprised to see trolleys with baggage for the next cruise on a side street and unattended.  

When we sailed out of Amsterdam on Royal, we put our baggage on a conveyor belt as soon as we arrived and that went right into the terminal.

We used to sail Disney and had a lengthy discussion with the gentleman taking our luggage to the car when we sailed out of Port Canaveral.  That was when I first found out about longshoremen, as he was one, and he described their various assignments related to handling the cruise ships.

We recently sailed with RCI also out of Amsterdam and out of all the many terminals we've cruised out of, Amsterdam was amazing. As soon as our Taxi pulled up there was a young man there to get them out of the trunk...put them on a cart and walked besides us and loaded them onto the conveyor belt and then walked us to checkin. I almost felt like he was going to cruise with us. Very impressed !!!

• Like 1