Royal Caribbean just changed vaccination requirements for transatlantic leaving from USA

sibs

I do not want to make this a thread about for or against vaccines. I am just frustrated I’ve been looking forward to a trans Atlantic from the United States to England. I just received an email from Royal  stating they are now requiring you to be vaccinated to take the cruise. I am just trying to figure out why they changed this? No maritime laws have changed in fact if anything Covid restrictions are becoming less. 

• Thanks 1

Transatlantic Sailings

Here are our updated protocols for Transatlantic sailings. Our protocols are subject to change, should there be any changes, we are committed to keeping you informed.

Vaccination Required
All guests ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID‐19 with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing. Guests under 12 may join us for this sailing, regardless of vaccination status. 

Testing Required
Pre-cruise 
All guests ages 2 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 2 days prior to sailing. Guests younger than 2 years of age are exempt from this test.

2 hours ago, sibs said:

I do not want to make this a thread about for or against vaccines. I am just frustrated I’ve been looking forward to a trans Atlantic from the United States to England. I just received an email from Royal  stating they are now requiring you to be vaccinated to take the cruise. I am just trying to figure out why they changed this? No maritime laws have changed in fact if anything Covid restrictions are becoming less. 

What changed and when?

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

There is also a testing requirement sailing out of Sydney.

But it stated it can be an unsupervised test, which makes it easier.

Accepted Tests 
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. To learn more about our accepted tests, visit our FAQ. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

Up until yesterday you did not need to be vaccinated you could take the cruise. Now if not vaccinated you are not allowed on ship. Queen Mary two does not require vaccination in may,  smaller ship and straight passage to England has anyone ever been on this voyage might have to switch over.

• Like 1

Cunard is VERY different to Royal so you’d be well advised to do some research if you’ve never sailed with them before.

On formal nights, for example, a suit and tie is the bare minimum expected for men at dinner. Most will be in a full tux.

And think afternoon tea with a harpist and ballroom dancing rather than hairiest chest competitions and water slides.

I happen to like both lines but if you’re only used to Royal, the formality of Cunard may come as a shock. You’d never, ever see anyone in shorts in the MDR there.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sibs said:

Up until yesterday you did not need to be vaccinated you could take the cruise. Now if not vaccinated you are not allowed on ship. Queen Mary two does not require vaccination in may,  smaller ship and straight passage to England has anyone ever been on this voyage might have to switch over.

I was booked on a TA for this spring but cancelled due to itinerary change.

I must have missed that they officially rescinded the requirement that was in place from November 2022.

4 hours ago, sibs said:

I was under the impression that they never dropped the vaccination requirement for TA's.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I was under the impression that they never dropped the vaccination requirement for TA's.

You are correct. 

I have been checking periodically  the testing and vaccination requirements for Royal Caribbean from the time I booked it in June.

While mine is not a transAtlantic cruise, I have noticed  the requirements for the cruise itineraries that do require vaccinations and testing .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sibs said:

I just read the Cunard website.

Unless you checked the specific voyage number on the list published on the website, I wouldn't be positive that vaccinations are not required. 

RC never dropped the COVID test requirement regarding certain sailings including Transatlantic.

What has changed is that these tests don't need to be supervised. So RC are pushing this formality onto it's passengers to test themselves correctly. This is ok if all the passengers follow the rules. Otherwise what's the point in it

• Like 2

Well I will have to look and verify. It looks like I might just fly over to England and do a European vacation instead. I was just looking forward to a transatlantic and the relaxation

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

But it stated it can be an unsupervised test, which makes it easier.

Accepted Tests 
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. To learn more about our accepted tests, visit our FAQ. 

Don't think this pertains to testing requirements, looks like the new requirement is you need to be vaccinated.

2 hours ago, sibs said:

Up until yesterday you did not need to be vaccinated you could take the cruise

I thought all TA’s you had to be fully vaxxed. Maybe the US to England was different. But I know my Wonder TA in Oct., you had to be vaxxed, but it was 5 and over, which changed last minute from 12 and over. Some needed to cancel.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2

Royal Caribbean has not changed the testing requirements. They’re changing the vaccination requirements. Before I could leave from New York and take a transatlantic over to Europe without needing a vaccine. As of yesterday I was informed that I need a vaccine. You only needed a vaccine if you were going from Europe to the USA

Just more reasons to keep taking any other types of vacations where you don't need to prove vaccination status, take a test or wear a mask.  Just as much fun without all the stress.

Edited by Keksie
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It is pretty odd to add a vax requirement at this point.

Not to mention, there are a lot of people who haven't had a booster since Fall 2021.  We've only had the first two and one booster.  Since fully vaxxed is still defined as the first two, there are a lot that haven't had a shot in going on two plus years now.  We decided no more especially as everyone we know (except DH and I and my parents for some reason) have had it and all were triple and some quadrupled vaxxed.  It really makes no sense to require it at this point.   

Edited by BND
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Celebrity has had this requirement since November 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/transatlantic-travel-requirements

I just went to this link and the second line says:

This direction applies to guests aboard Celebrity Infinity departing Fort Lauderdale, Florida November 28, 2022

I don't see anywhere that this is for all TA sailings.

24 minutes ago, cruiserhal said:

I just went to this link and the second line says:

This direction applies to guests aboard Celebrity Infinity departing Fort Lauderdale, Florida November 28, 2022

I don't see anywhere that this is for all TA sailings.

Here is a copy/paste of the email I received from Royal yesterday:

Transatlantic Sailings

Here are our updated protocols for Transatlantic sailings. Our protocols are subject to change, should there be any changes, we are committed to keeping you informed.

Vaccination Required
All guests ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID‐19 with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing. Guests under 12 may join us for this sailing, regardless of vaccination status.

Testing Required
Pre-cruise
All guests ages 2 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 2 days prior to sailing. Guests younger than 2 years of age are exempt from this test.

Accepted Tests

Travel Reminder 
All guests should check their visa, ESTA, and entry requirements prior to our sailing. In addition, we highly recommend having travel protection booked for your cruise.