Royal Caribbean New Menus - Expected on all ships by end of February

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I was like you... I missed the Chef's recommendations... I thought I lost my favorite beef tenderloin.  Found it on French night. 😉 

It's weird, the chef's recommendations appear on the regular menu section for the first night only, after that the chef's recommendation is "stand alone"

• Like 1

Hi all,

I suspected something would change with the food as this is the biggest money waster for the cruise line.

Looking at the menus, it could be a lot worse.

I don't think it is that bad considering the cost of food etc these days.

Although I am a bit of a pig and can eat just about anything, my wife on the other hand has had several major operations inc removal of Gall-Bladder which means she cannot eat certain food without being in severe pain afterwards or needing the loo urgently (which would be dis-pleasurable to anyone sitting nearby), and so with the old menu's there was always something she could eat, or could arrange an alternative in advance if there wasn't. BTW since 2017 when she had her last major op, the staff in the MDR have all done their very best to suggest the best food for her and we have not had any issues and I know she is grateful to them for all they have done. Try getting that service at some land based restaurants!

Looking through the menu posted here, all seems very good.

Just one question, and I hope someone can confirm this, she used to like the lamb shank which was normally on the night before last. I see on the Med night the chefs recommendation is braised lamb, so does anyone know if this is the same meal?

thank you.

Mick.

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Going to have to disagree on this one. I have a family member with celiac disease; Royal Caribbean does a tremendous job catering to her needs. 

Same with my sister who has Celiac.  She has no problems at all with getting her gluten free items.  One of her favorites is the gluten free pizza.  🙂 

1 hour ago, Mick B said:

Just one question, and I hope someone can confirm this, she used to like the lamb shank which was normally on the night before last. I see on the Med night the chefs recommendation is braised lamb, so does anyone know if this is the same meal?

thank you.

Mick.

Last September, Oasis out of Bayonne, I had braised lamb shank. One of the best I have tasted short of Morrocco. That country specializes in lamb.  My next cruise in April will be the proof as I try it again.

15 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

did you try asking the headwaiter?

My mom and dad have dietary restrictions for health reasons, and the headwaiter came to our table every night to work on the next evening's menu for my parents.

Yes when we had food in the MDR. But we all found the MDR food average with the choices tbh, so disnt eat in there much.  So glad there is new menus.

Also there was a lot of new staff on board who were struggling bless them. 

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Going to have to disagree on this one. I have a family member with celiac disease; Royal Caribbean does a tremendous job catering to her needs. 

I think its down to personal experiences as we heard others say the same. However for our cruise something was amiss in the MDR and WJ. Will see whats its like in feb on oasis. But the main point is having to ask for it rather then the food being labelled and correctly segregated. 

5 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So glad there is new menus.

the new menu looks very close to what we had in the last year (as in - a lot of the same items), like I said above, but even more limited. So, not sure what you are glad about.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 1/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, waverunner43 said:

The new menus and the theme nights are ridiculous. If Royal doesn't reverse course on this ridiculous change, I will be canceling our family cruise in 2024 and pocket the cost of the six cabins.

I just wanted to chime in that we do not cruise on RCI ships for the food - we became sort of disappointed in the offerings back in 2011-2014 time frame, because it was the same food cruise after cruise, and gave Princess a try. Since then we cruise on Princess (Royal Princess and newer) for food, and with RCI for fun and entertainment. May want to look at it this way to make it more bearable.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, LeeW said:

Lots of nights missing steak.  Not a good sign.

You can opt for the "upsell" Chops steak every single night ... and, truthfully, the MDR's no-cost steak isn't the best thing on the menu.  I cooked a better steak at home last night.  

On 1/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, ValerieJo said:

Why is there Indian food on French Night, Mexican Night, Caribbean Night, Mediterranean Night, etc. taking up valuable menu space?

I know they're trying to allow for different tastes, but they haven't fully committed to their themes; for example, while I like Butter Chicken, it isn't even remotely Mexican. 

On 1/8/2023 at 2:06 PM, molly361 said:

No lobster unless you want to pay extra?  Or did I miss it?  I guess the beef Wellington is already gone 

Go back and look again at the top of the menu -- the chef's recommendation.  When I read through the first time I skipped that, assuming the recommendations would be repetitive /that everything would be in the main portion of the menu.  

On 1/8/2023 at 2:13 PM, PolicromaSol said:

Am I the only one who thought it sounded really good? LOL

I definitely liked some parts -- some of our favorites appetizers are available, more than once even:  Shrimp Cocktail, Crab Cake and Escargot.  And the variety is good.  But my very favorite entrees -- the Battered Seafood and the closely related Fish and Chips are gone, while the ho-hum Salmon remains.  I can't believe the Chicken Cordon Bleu is still a choice -- it is the single worst item on their menu, new or old.  I'm glad to see the Carrot Cake and Key Lime Pie "made the cut", and my husband will welcome the addition of Boston Cream Pie.  

With any multi-day menu, all of us are going to find something we like /something that displeases us.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, waverunner43 said:

... Royal will be saving at least 25% on each meal ...

These streamlined menus will save manpower, as fewer options are offered, but I don't see how they'll save money.  

Thank you, very much, for posting the new menus.  Just like with Celebrity Cruises, the "no sugar added" desserts are now only as ice cream, rather than an actual dessert.  Does anyone know if "no sugar added" desserts can still be requested in the main dining room even if it's no longer on the menu?  Thank you, in advance.

50 minutes ago, floridacruisegirl said:

Thank you, very much, for posting the new menus.  Just like with Celebrity Cruises, the "no sugar added" desserts are now only as ice cream, rather than an actual dessert.  Does anyone know if "no sugar added" desserts can still be requested in the main dining room even if it's no longer on the menu?  Thank you, in advance.

I was wondering the same thing..... looks like we may have to take a trip to the WJ after dinner.  At least it is less crowded in the evening.

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I was wondering the same thing..... looks like we may have to take a trip to the WJ after dinner.  At least it is less crowded in the evening.

Same here.  I was primarily examining the entrees, but I don't see the Royal chocolate cake or the Apple Blossom.  I used to pair that with vanilla ice cream.

By the way, we're on the 2nd week of the intro of the new menus on select ships and unless I missed it, I haven't seen any reviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridacruisegirl said:

Be aware that "no sugar added" doesn't mean "no sugar" or "no carbs".  For example, an apple has "no sugar added", but it is full of natural sugars.  

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I like the Windjammer for breakfast or lunch, but I'm not sold on it for dinner.  I do like it as a substitute for dinner in the MDR.  

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

By saving manpower. 

Eh, not buying it ... at least, not buying that it'll save significant manpower. 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:28 PM, Joseph2017China said:

A picky eater is just a person, not exposed to foods from multiple cultures.    

Wrong.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:36 AM, sgmn said:

I've just had a look at this weeks Symphony on the app, and it's in the following order. Obviously not sure if it will always be thus 

1 ...  welcome abroad 

2 ... French

3 ... Italian 

4 ... Caribbean 

5 ... Mexican 

6 ... Royal Night 

7 ... bon voyage (looks like the Mediterranean menu)

I am boarding the Wonder on Sunday, and ours is a bit different. 

Wonder January 15, according to the app.

1. Welcome Aboard

2. French Night

3. Italian Night

4. Mexican Night

5. British Night

6. Caribbean Night

7. Royal Night

Attached British night menu from my app.

IMG_7410.PNG

IMG_7411.PNG

IMG_7412.PNG

IMG_7413.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Be aware that "no sugar added" doesn't mean "no sugar" or "no carbs".  For example, an apple has "no sugar added", but it is full of natural sugars.  

Forget the natural sugar, a lot of those desserts have a different issue: Maltitol Syrup. "Excessive consumption" (that is, LOL, like two bites) will have you running to the bathroom all night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PolicromaSol said:

Forget the natural sugar, a lot of those desserts have a different issue: Maltitol Syrup. "Excessive consumption" (that is, LOL, like two bites) will have you running to the bathroom all night.

Like the Haribo Sugar Free Gummi Bear reviews?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

When I took my wife on her first cruise, we ate dinner in the MDR the first night (with the usual madness) and the food/service did not make it a good experience.  We've sailed in suites since then and eaten at CK.  Very close to booking Allure in April to be with family but will be back in a balcony ... I tried to sell her on the new menus but she was a bit upset when she realized shrimp cocktail (her go-to every day) was only on the MDR menu 4 nights. Oh well, I tried. 

On 1/8/2023 at 9:33 PM, waverunner43 said:

I totally agree.  The new menus and the theme nights are ridiculous.  No shrimp cocktail, escargot or onion soup on a daily basis.  This change in all probability has nothing to do with shortening the time spent in the dining room.  It's l about cutting back. Royal will be saving at least 25% on each meal but none of the savings will be passed on to the passengers.  If I wanted to eat something that would be served at Applebee's, I can skip the cruise and save $400 a day.

Applebee's, seriously??

81eaGGwJoRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

5 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Wrong.

I am boarding the Wonder on Sunday, and ours is a bit different. 

Wonder January 15, according to the app.

1. Welcome Aboard

2. French Night

3. Italian Night

4. Mexican Night

5. British Night

6. Caribbean Night

7. Royal Night

Attached British night menu from my app.

IMG_7410.PNG

IMG_7411.PNG

IMG_7412.PNG

IMG_7413.PNG

Maybe it an age thing but I just see more adult choices now. Let’s serioulsy hope it is made good too because lately the old menu just became very boring and the quality has just not been there. But also yes Carnival has the more kids of all age menu for everyone who wants that regardless!