Royal Caribbean New Menus - Expected on all ships by end of February

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Walmart sells filets of Swai in large bulk.   It's a mild white fish.  Actually quite easy to use in various recipes, and never fishy.  No real flavor itself, but does take on the flavors of what you add to it.  

The perfect definition of what a "white fish" (post #157, @OSUZorba) on the menu could be: not fishy and can be flavored into almost anything.

• Like 3

We're on Grandeur on the 21st. Does anyone know if the new menus are rolled out on that ship yet? Debating buying the dining package thing if they are. Most nights look fine, but there are a few that are just kinda meh.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, ValerieJo said:

Why is there Indian food on French Night, Mexican Night, Caribbean Night, Mediterranean Night, etc. taking up valuable menu space?

I know, right? And the French onion soup almost every day and New York steak, not to mention pasta on non-Italian nights. 🙄

It's called catering to your market and it's not like there aren't other choices. Given how many of the chefs are from India, I'll bet it's pretty good too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

More importantly does the WJ have a different theme on a given night - not that there aren’t several options in the WJ but would be interesting to know if it is a universal theme night.

Usually the WJ does have a different theme each night at a different station while other stations have different staples along with the usual comfort foods to choose from. I'd be shocked if the WJ catered to the same dishes that are being served in the MDR.

Damn, I was hoping that all the themed nights would be in the same order across the whole fleet for the first 7 nights.

Currently my next cruise is on the Enchantment in May 2023 but the app is showing the old style menus which surely will change.

Having a wife with certain diet issues, we need to plan in advance which nights have which food. That way we may be able to do a longer day trip and go to the WJ instead.

Royal have to be very careful here,

They may cause several issues here.

1) People actually not returning for another cruise and trying another brand.

2) People going to the WJ instead and that may lead to even more food waste as I am sure you have all seen certain people pile food on their plates like food was going to vanish from the universe within an hour or something, only for them to leave most of it and have it thrown away. Better to have the servers again!

3) Go for a  meal elsewhere on the ship but pay $$$ at say chops. Now, how many people that would normally be happy in the MDR may take this option ?

Has Royal changed the menu to save money (if actually possible) or is option 3 their plan here - to make more revenue?

Or...

The other reason may be to allow people to eat their dinner and be able to then go to the show that starts shortly afterwards without arriving late. No-one really wants to be that person(s) who arrives at the theatre 20 minutes after the start of the show and then going down to the front area and asking everyone in a row with 2 spare seats in the middle to move for them. 

HOWEVER, the reason why people may be late to the show may not necessarily be because of the time it took them to eat dinner, but because they were sat with other people who arrived late back from a trip and had to get ready. In that case it may not matter if dinner lasted 75 minutes or 120 minutes as people would still be late as the waiters don't normally take orders until everyone is there at the table. 

In fact you can get delayed in the MDR if waiting for other people who don't show because they have decided to go to Chops at the last minute and no-one in the MDR knew. 

So here are 2 reasons why saving time with the choice of food may not save any time at all.

This is why my wife and I book my time dinning, so that we can have our food at the time we want it (and not be waiting for others to arrive) and be able to go to the entertainment venues on time and get  good seats.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

Damn, I was hoping that all the themed nights would be in the same order across the whole fleet for the first 7 nights.

Currently my next cruise is on the Enchantment in May 2023 but the app is showing the old style menus which surely will change.

Having a wife with certain diet issues, we need to plan in advance which nights have which food. That way we may be able to do a longer day trip and go to the WJ instead.

Royal have to be very careful here,

They may cause several issues here.

1) People actually not returning for another cruise and trying another brand.

2) People going to the WJ instead and that may lead to even more food waste as I am sure you have all seen certain people pile food on their plates like food was going to vanish from the universe within an hour or something, only for them to leave most of it and have it thrown away. Better to have the servers again!

3) Go for a  meal elsewhere on the ship but pay $$$ at say chops. Now, how many people that would normally be happy in the MDR may take this option ?

Has Royal changed the menu to save money (if actually possible) or is option 3 their plan here - to make more revenue?

Or...

The other reason may be to allow people to eat their dinner and be able to then go to the show that starts shortly afterwards without arriving late. No-one really wants to be that person(s) who arrives at the theatre 20 minutes after the start of the show and then going down to the front area and asking everyone in a row with 2 spare seats in the middle to move for them. 

HOWEVER, the reason why people may be late to the show may not necessarily be because of the time it took them to eat dinner, but because they were sat with other people who arrived late back from a trip and had to get ready. In that case it may not matter if dinner lasted 75 minutes or 120 minutes as people would still be late as the waiters don't normally take orders until everyone is there at the table. 

In fact you can get delayed in the MDR if waiting for other people who don't show because they have decided to go to Chops at the last minute and no-one in the MDR knew. 

So here are 2 reasons why saving time with the choice of food may not save any time at all.

This is why my wife and I book my time dinning, so that we can have our food at the time we want it (and not be waiting for others to arrive) and be able to go to the entertainment venues on time and get  good seats.

Mick.

Previous changes to the menus (several in the last 15 years) have not resulted in any of the "issues" you stated.  People may whine ahead of time, but they adjust.  There is so much overthinking being done on this.  

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The perfect definition of what a "white fish" (post #157, @OSUZorba) on the menu could be: not fishy and can be flavored into almost anything.

Simple protein I guess.   I love fish...but no matter what kind of so called high class quality or delicacy it is .....if it is fishy tasting...ugh...nasty (and would be what I would call trash fish).   

Spent most of my life during my free time and on vacation in the past, (before cruising took that over) doing my favorite sport...fishing.  Even did my own cast netting for bait.  😉   That was some fresh fish for dinner that night!  And we never kept anything over what we would eat that night.  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Simple protein I guess.   I love fish...but no matter what kind of so called high class quality or delicacy it is .....if it is fishy tasting...ugh...nasty (and would be what I would call trash fish).   

Spent most of my life during my free time and on vacation in the past, (before cruising took that over) doing my favorite sport...fishing.  Even did my own cast netting for bait.  😉   That was some fresh fish for dinner that night!  And we never kept anything over what we would eat that night.  

I have not met an avid fisher'person' yet who does not have strong opinions on what type of fish they would eat or not eat.

35 minutes ago, BND said:

Previous changes to the menus (several in the last 15 years) have not resulted in any of the "issues" you stated.  People may whine ahead of time, but they adjust.  There is so much overthinking being done on this.  

Totally agree.   We don't cruise to eat.   If I want superior food only...I will stay home.  😉  Or cruise on one of the $$ small elegant ships that cater to foodies.  

We cruise to adventure...but needing sustenance to survive...naturally we need to eat.  Never have had a problem going hungry, and also am fully aware that it is "mass feeding" venues, no matter what is on the menu.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have not met an avid fisher'person' yet who does not have strong opinions on what type of fish they would eat or not eat.

You have just met one that refuses to eat fishy fish...no matter how pricey or "special" it is.  Now...indeed I have my favorites.  

Redfish:   Mmmm...blackened with Paul's seasoning in a cast iron pan.   

Trout: Seared with almonds and butter.  

Grouper...in any form of cooking.  

Halibut...on the grill with my homemade marinade prepared by my favorite grill chef. 

20200821_183643.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

You have just met one that refuses to eat fishy fish...no matter how pricey or "special" it is.  Now...indeed I have my favorites.  

Redfish:   Mmmm...blackened with Paul's seasoning in a cast iron pan.   

Trout: Seared with almonds and butter.  

Grouper...in any form of cooking.  

Halibut...on the grill with my homemade marinade prepared by my favorite grill chef. 

20200821_183643.jpg

I do a large amount of BBQ, boiling water canning, pressure canning, smoking, and more. I suspect, like most good chefs, your grill master is taste testing ahead of time with complimentary wine 😉. That looks like a money cut 🤑 and I could learn something from him 🤓.

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I do a large amount of BBQ, boiling water canning, pressure canning, smoking, and more. I suspect, like most good chefs, your grill master is taste testing ahead of time with complimentary wine 😉. That looks like a money cut 🤑 and I could learn something from him 🤓.

That was the Halibut I caught while in Homer Alaska two years ago.  😉 

I don't think we will see Halibut on the new menu.  😄 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

An 8th menu......British Night.....has appeared on the current Wonder of the Seas 8 night sailing.

British Night.jpg

We're on a 12 night on EN in April so I'm curious about the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Where's the bangers and mash? Steak and Kidney pie?  The curry?😛

LOL, @crewsweeper, there are two curries!

Doesn’t say too much for the Chef’s confidence in his Roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding if he recommends his Fish and Chips, which are in no way authentic! At least they dropped their pretense at mushy peas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Doesn’t say too much for the Chef’s confidence in his Roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding if he recommends his Fish and Chips, which are in no way authentic! At least they dropped their pretense at mushy peas.

Well, my DIL's grandmother who has lived her entire life in England (mostly Liverpool) has come to visit the US many times and orders fish and chips wherever she can when she's here and she has no complaints about it anywhere as it's more familiar to her than other items on most restaurant menus here.  So, authentic is subjective.  

On 1/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Be aware that "no sugar added" doesn't mean "no sugar" or "no carbs".  For example, an apple has "no sugar added", but it is full of natural sugars.  

I like the Windjammer for breakfast or lunch, but I'm not sold on it for dinner.  I do like it as a substitute for dinner in the MDR.  

Eh, not buying it ... at least, not buying that it'll save significant manpower. 

I know. 🙂 But, if I'm going to have dessert, I'd still like to enjoy it with as little sugars as possible (even if it's still unhealthy). 🙂 

34 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Uh oh - I can see this turning into trifle gate again 😂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, BND said:

Well, my DIL's grandmother who has lived her entire life in England (mostly Liverpool) has come to visit the US many times and orders fish and chips wherever she can when she's here and she has no complaints about it anywhere as it's more familiar to her than other items on most restaurant menus here.  So, authentic is subjective.  

As someone born and bred a stone’s throw from Liverpool, I have empathy with her reasoning.

Familiar, yes. Enjoyable, yes. Authentic, no.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

As someone born and bred a stone’s throw from Liverpool, I have empathy with her reasoning.

Familiar, yes. Enjoyable, yes. Authentic, no.

No self respecting chippy would use tempura batter or serve coleslaw 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1