No more prime rib?

kevin1551

36 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for the reminder that if we’re not in the Retreat, we’re simply peasants…lol

We are never in a suite---Don't feel like a peasant-- always received excellent service-- noooo problem.

I am our own Butler , and make our reservations and don't need " you know who's" bath drawn.

Much easier---don't have to wait for replies, time changes, etc.

I've explained the " system " ( $$ ) many times--- it works--- it's not a bribe---- it's " Thanks for your help "--- end of story.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Brutal reality- The cruise industry we loved pre-pandemic is gone. Just another causality to go along with the cost of groceries and home heating fuel. I’m afraid it is time to adjust expectations or select a new mode of travel. 

I'll respectfully disagree.  Just because costs have increased doesn't mean that the quality and level of service should decrease.   I suspect that many of us are willing to pay a little more to offset the cost increases.  In fact there have been price increases and the expectation is that part of the price increases is used to keep the product the same while some of the price increase is used to reduce the debt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2023 at 11:11 AM, Pinboy said:

The name Tilapia has no "appeal"---

Put a French name to it , make up a " fancy " sounding name for a sauce  , and charge a high price,---that will create high demand, no wastage , excellent profit margin.

LOL-- It's like golf clubs---- every year they come out with a new "gimmick" to improve my ( our )game---they name the clubs with letters and numbers that " sound " good, guarantee to etc, etc -----

It don't work !! All it does is make me ( us ) feel better having new clubs and increase the profits of the club manufacturers. ( I don't even play my age anymore ) !

( I don't even play my age anymore ) !

Well, when you're 59 don't expect to! And if you DO shoot 59 consistently, don't cruise....go on the 'tour'...😉

2 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

While I’m not a fan of the changes, we allow this by agreeing to the cruise contract. If you don’t like those terms, don’t book a cruise. Vote with your wallet to go find the biggest piece of prime rib you can find on the high seas.  

They had prime rib when we booked.  It’s difficult to trust them now.

For me it seems like cruising will be to travel to places where a land trip is too complex or costly or not possible at all, Arctic Circle, Antarctica drive by on Eclipse for 2024, maybe Azamara for Africa in 2025.

The days of Caribbean cruising with the ship as the prime attraction appear to be past, the food was a major motivator for us along with entertainment and service.

So we will still go but likely less overall.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  Just because costs have increased doesn't mean that the quality and level of service should decrease.   I suspect that many of us are willing to pay a little more to offset the cost increases.  In fact there have been price increases and the expectation is that part of the price increases is used to keep the product the same while some of the price increase is used to reduce the debt.

If you crunch the numbers, even in the height cruising, RCL was barely making enough to cover their current interest only payments; let alone reduce debt. 

iMO, It’s going to take WAYyyyyy more than price increase to see green.  Problem is, with the reduced quality there is likely going to be fewer people booking. Cruise lines are in flux. Scrambling to redefine themselves.

We won’t know how this all shakes out for another year or so. I hope you are right, but in the meantime I think we can all expect further cost cutting measure implemented.

I just read NCL is cutting entertainment. At this point, there is no way I will book a cruise more than a few weeks in advance and even then I’m prepared for cuts.

When I first read about the buffet cuts I was miffed. The initial reports were salad, pizza, and dessert. My reality is that the buffet offers significantly more than that but it’s still a cut back. Is this a compromise from Celebrity based on our feedback? I don’t know, but I don’t expect to ever see buffet offering return to pre-covid. 

So far today I’ve participated in a morning stretch class, an afternoon dance class, had two delicious caffe lattes and am working on my second Moscow mule. I can make this work.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The days of Caribbean cruising with the ship as the prime attraction appear to be past, the food was a major motivator for us along with entertainment and service.

Totally the way we feel.  

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you crunch the numbers, even in the height cruising, RCL was barely making enough to cover their current interest only payments; let alone reduce debt. 

iMO, It’s going to take WAYyyyyy more than price increase to see green.  Problem is, with the reduced quality there is likely going to be fewer people booking. Cruise lines are in flux. Scrambling to redefine themselves.

We won’t know how this all shakes out for another year or so. I hope you are right, but in the meantime I think we can all expect further cost cutting measure implemented.

I just read NCL is cutting entertainment. At this point, there is no way I will book a cruise more than a few weeks in advance and even then I’m prepared for cuts.

When I first read about the buffet cuts I was miffed. The initial reports were salad, pizza, and dessert. My reality is that the buffet offers significantly more than that but it’s still a cut back. Is this a compromise from Celebrity based on our feedback? I don’t know, but I don’t expect to ever see buffet offering return to pre-covid. 

So far today I’ve participated in a morning stretch class, an afternoon dance class, had two delicious caffe lattes and am working on my second Moscow mule. I can make this work.

Yes, and if/when they refinance (a lot of those loans were short term and they put the E ships up as collateral) those loans the interest rates are going to be even higher, than the high rates they are already paying.  One thing that I would add to your list is the large number of new, huge, ships coming online these days.  It's going to be real interesting to see how those cabins are 'absorbed' by the cruising public. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

For me it seems like cruising will be to travel to places where a land trip is too complex or costly or not possible at all, Arctic Circle, Antarctica drive by on Eclipse for 2024, maybe Azamara for Africa in 2025.

FYI…The eclipse doesn’t let people off in Antarctica, need a much smaller ship for that.

Honningsvag Norway is a cruise stop and is in the Arctic Circle; not all that difficult to visit by land 

1 minute ago, rmalbers said:

Yes, and if/when they refinance (a lot of those loans were short term and they put the E ships up as collateral) those loans the interest rates are going to be even higher, than the high rates they are already paying.  One thing that I would add to your list is the large number of new, huge, ships coming online these days.  It's going to be real interesting to see how those cabins are 'absorbed' by the cruising public. 

If I’m not mistaken they put the entire Celebrity line up for collateral early on, but I trade all three lines and may have this part confused . 

You have hit the nail on the head. Supply/demand is going to prove costly. 

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If I’m not mistaken they put the entire Celebrity line up for collateral early on, but I trade all three lines and may have this part confused . 

You have hit the nail on the head. Supply/demand is going to prove costly. 

I only saw the E class mentioned, at least early on.  I'm not sure the 'people making the loans' want any of their other ships.  

On 1/14/2023 at 11:11 AM, Pinboy said:

Put a French name to it , make up a " fancy " sounding name for a sauce  , and charge a high price,---that will create high demand, no wastage , excellent profit margin.

Like how if it says "escargot" on a menu many people will be like "OMG MUST HAVE" but if it said "snail" I'd be shocked if people clamored to eat them.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The ship itself as the prime attraction has never been the reason that we cruise. The ship is my moving hotel that takes me to interesting places. In 25 years of cruising we have only done the Caribbean twice, as we are not beach people. We like to go to interesting places and see new sites. But since the ship is my hotel and restaurant, I expect decent service, some entertainment and good food options, since that is part of what I've bought for my considerable $$pp/day. We may eat in the specialty restaurant once/twice a cruise as a treat, but have a problem paying more $$ for food when its already baked into our cruise fare. 

Over the years we have migrated more to the buffet for most dinners, as we no longer want to spend 2+ hours having dinner. It just takes too long anymore. We like to eat with new folks at times, but the only time in the last 3 cruises that dinner took less than 2 hours is when we dine at a 2 top. Our preferred is 4 or 6 max. If the cutbacks in the buffer occur on our cruise later this month, its going to interesting as to how it affects our desire to cruise Celebrity in the future. We have mostly cruised HAL in the past and while the food was still good, the entertainment options have fallen off a cliff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Like how if it says "esgargots" on a menu many people will be like "OMG MUST HAVE" but if it said "snails" I'd be shocked if people clamored to eat them.

WHAT????????   Escargots are actually snails??????

😱😱😱. Eeek!

(Maybe I should post here about how snails were once considered to be food only fit for slaves until some Roman decided they were a delicacy?  🙄)

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Like how if it says "escargot" on a menu many people will be like "OMG MUST HAVE" but if it said "snail" I'd be shocked if people clamored to eat them.

Sign me up regardless of the name, this is one of my favorites. My line is drawn at insects, I can handle eating a snail but not an insect. It might have more to do with the garlic and butter, which really livens up the gluten free bread they provide.

To the thread topic, the prime rib is a hard pass for me though since is all about the seasoning like a filet. I know I am in the minority on those two cuts of meat but I am a ribeye, T-bone, or porterhouse kind of guy.

Edited by cgolf1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

WHAT????????   Escargots are actually snails??????

😱😱😱. Eeek!

(Maybe I should post here about how snails were once considered to be food only fit for slaves until some Roman decided they were a delicacy?  🙄)

Ditto lobster. It was only fit for slaves and poor people.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Sign me up regardless of the name, this is one of my favorites. My line is drawn at insects, I can handle eating a snail but not an insect.

To the thread topic, the prime rib is a hard pass for me though since is all about the seasoning like a filet. I know I am in the minority on those two cuts of meat but I am a ribeye, T-bone, or porterhouse kind of guy.

I never cared for thier prime rib. It is sliced to thin, which I understand on a ship. Once we tried to ask for a double thick cut to share. That didn't work out. DH and I go out to dinner and share the prime rib. I eat a bit, he eats some and we bring the rest home for sandwiches.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I was never one who did the Caribbean cruises -- well maybe once every 5-6 years. I find cruises harder to replace easily with some of the itineraries I have in mind in the next few years.

23 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree, RCL has a huge financial problem.  I did a back of the envelope calculation the other day.  If RCL wants to pay off the Covid debt in 10 years it requires all of the ships to sail at 100% double occupancy and each passenger will need to pay an additional $33/day.  So the cost of a week long cruise need to increase by $233 just to eliminate the Covid debt.  Maybe people will be willing to pay that increase but if they do, they expect at least the pre-Covid levels of service.  So maybe the costs need to increase by $250 or $300 per week to account for other costs increases but they won't be able to get the higher prices if they reduce the level of service.  No business can cut their way to profitability.

Or perhaps we will have all of the cruise lines go bankrupt, clean the balance sheets and start over.  Just like the airlines.

• Like 2

To clarify, it’s about the value proposition.

For the Eclipse to Antarctica I get to “see” it for $3000 pp.

To step on by expedition ship is usually $10,000+, same or more to fly in or over.

So to me it’s a good value even if the food and onboard product are scaled back.

For an R&R type Caribbean trip no longer the case.

We go on the Equinox in February in a sky suite. I looked the menu in Luminae and it looked pretty good. But if in fact it turns out differently I am booked with Celebrity only thru February 2024 snd have already investigated alternate cruises on Seabourne and Windstar. A few more $ but it might be appreciably better. Decision time for cruisers and the lines. What is the tipping point?