What's capacity these days? Anyone one the Wonder this week?

Morning all. Countdown on for a Wonder cruise on Sunday. Not that we're excited or anything.

So, we are Wondering (sorry), what's capacity like these days, especially on the Wonder. I was offered a Royal Up - but it was pricey. Makes me think the ship is nearly full. Mid January cruises in past years have not been crowded, but I've heard that in this post-Covid era the pax have flocked back to the ships (especially the newest ship).

Would love to hear your assessments. Thanks to all who answer. 

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

To get an idea do a mock booking on RC site.  Right now it's showing only 2 Jr suites available.  There are no available interior rooms.  1 forward ocean view. 1 CPB. 1 COB. 8 OVB.  I would guess it will be "near capacity". 

That is not always accurate.

I know TA's companies that will have banks of rooms set aside for their customers, which might now be shown on the RC website.

How many, or what category, I am not sure.

5 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I know TA's companies that will have banks of rooms set aside for their customers, which might now be shown on the RC website.

Yes, especially one week before departure....

13 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Yes it is more than accurate a week out. 
you do understand that when companies book a bank of rooms it is not specific rooms. Royal will have the rooms available too. 

We’re on Wonder right now and crew we talked to said it was sold out but as big as the ship is, it doesn’t seem like there are people everywhere. We were on the ship at 10am yesterday and there were tons of parking spaces in the garage. Plus we saw the SpaceX rocket take off while sitting at dinner last night(love our table for two next to the window!) Awesome cruise so far and much warmer weather today!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

If you are talking about the TA rooms set aside that we call group rates, I have been told they have to release what they have not been able to sell 90 days out.  

Less than a week out it would not have an effect.  

At this point some more rooms could become available due to cancelations. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

We’re on Wonder right now and crew we talked to said it was sold out but as big as the ship is, it doesn’t seem like there are people everywhere.

How is the staff to passenger ratio? Does it seem understaffed or appropriate?  Thanks

18 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If you are talking about the TA rooms set aside that we call group rates, I have been told they have to release what they have not been able to sell 90 days out.  

I never said anything about being a week out.

Was referring to people doing mock bookings to see availability.

36 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I never said anything about being a week out.

Was referring to people doing mock bookings to see availability.

I didn't say you did either.  But if you do a mock one week out it would be more accurate.  The OP's cruise is less than a week out.  He is cruising this coming Sunday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

How is the staff to passenger ratio? Does it seem understaffed or appropriate?  Thanks

Plenty of staff. Don’t know exact ratio but staff are everywhere and are friendly and right there when you want them. Very few lines. Love it!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

All those groups  get recalled at 120 days to sailing.  In the extremely rare case of a ship not selling well they may let them keep them a bit longer bit haven't seen any of that since last year when ships were at 50% capacity

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

120 days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

I was offered a Royal Up - but it was pricey. Makes me think the ship is nearly full.

We were on a NYE cruise on Allure recently and though the ship most certainly was full, we still won our RoyalUp bid (cancellation/no-show/etc). So if you placed one, you never know, it could happen 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We’re on Wonder right now and crew we talked to said it was sold out but as big as the ship is, it doesn’t seem like there are people everywhere. We were on the ship at 10am yesterday and there were tons of parking spaces in the garage. Plus we saw the SpaceX rocket take off while sitting at dinner last night(love our table for two next to the window!) Awesome cruise so far and much warmer weather today!

Oasis class is big, yes, but people spread nicely (usually) unless there is some kind of event going on.

Now... we sailed on Oasis in Sep 2021 and out of 6000 we had 2100. Buffet was still somewhat crowded, but overall many places seemed deserted... Even Boleros was never full.

Edited by Tatka

If a travel agency blocks out a group of cabins for a specific sailing and doesn't sell them all they must return them to the cruise lines inventory. I'm not exactly sure but the return to inventory date is around one hundred twenty days before the scheduled sailing. Twenty years ago the New Jersey State PBA did a full charter sailing on Royal Caribbean from Port Everglades. Approximately three months before sailing we realized that we wouldn't completely sell out the entire ship. We returned approximately thirty percent back to Royal Caribbean's inventory. Passengers got great deals on the unsold cabins.

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Plenty of staff. Don’t know exact ratio but staff are everywhere and are friendly and right there when you want them. Very few lines. Love it!

Awesome .  We sail on the 22nd and are very excited, especially to get out of the snow and cold.

Sand and water to look forward to.

40 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

off-topic, are the doors magnetic? I would like to make a sign for my grandson's first cruise on the exterior door (I understand the rules with needing magnets), hence the question

no doors are 'magnetic'.  But almost all doors, walls and ceilings are steel/metal and therefore a magnet will stick to them.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

off-topic, are the doors magnetic? I would like to make a sign for my grandson's first cruise on the exterior door (I understand the rules with needing magnets), hence the question

Yes, they are steel and will hold a magnet.

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1