How should NCL fix their Atrium situation?

bowlinmoe

I think we can all agree that the atrium area on the NCL ships is horrible in terms of making the vast majority of show watchers stand. Why have have shows in that area of the ship if most people are going to be standing? It’s a horrendous set-up. 
What’s the solution?

Maybe move these shows to the Escape theater a little earlier? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

I think we can all agree that the atrium area on the NCL ships is horrible in terms of making the vast majority of show watchers stand. Why have have shows in that area of the ship if most people are going to be standing? It’s a horrendous set-up. What’s the solution? Maybe move these shows to the Escape theater a little earlier? 

I don't see that there is a problem to fix.

NCL intentionally put activities in the Atrium. There are other venues, but the Atrium draws attention to the shows/presentation. 

Sorry if you show up late and in the SRO section. If there is something we want to see, we get a drink (or two) from the Atrium bar and have a seat. 

As far back as I can remember, cruise lines have had entertainment in their Atrium-equivalent. Although, we we first started cruising it was a string quartet or harpist. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

When I was on the new Getaway in 2015, NCL reps were on board coming to tables asking what people thought of the ship.  We mentioned the atrium.  These shows attract large crowds that can never accommodate everyone.  The NCL reps said it was their #1 complaint....the size of venues being too small.

Yes you need to get their early to get a seat.  The acoustics are also all messed up and its hard to understand the microphones up in O'Sheehans.  I could not disagree with Bird more.  This has always been a major complaint about NCL ships.

However there is nothing they can do about it.  The theater is used every night for their main shows.  On Epic the nightclub and Spice is large enough for some shows.  In the early days they tried having the Newlywed game at Spice.  But it was too windy and no one could hear anything so it moved back to the atrium. However even with some of the newer ships like Bliss and Encore, the venues outside the main theater keep getting smaller and smaller.  It is a problem.  But sadly that is what they designed and is the only other venue to put on these other shows.

To not acknowledge this is not living in reality. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, bowlinmoe said:

I think we can all agree that the atrium area on the NCL ships is horrible in terms of making the vast majority of show watchers stand. Why have have shows in that area of the ship if most people are going to be standing? It’s a horrendous set-up. 
What’s the solution?

Maybe move these shows to the Escape theater a little earlier? 

What exactly do you see as the problem?

a) Are you looking for a solution to all of the people standing and watching the shows while you are occupying a chair in the Atrium?

or 

b) Are you one of the people standing in the Atrium and you'd like to find a way to get people out of the seats so that you can have one yourself?

• Haha 3

dear bowlinmoe!  sorry, but  yours is the 1st comment ive read that seems to indicate there is an atrium problem. the daily's usually indicate what's happening and where. if you really think there's a problem. get to the atrium a little earlier. in 20 cruises on ncl, i havent even bothered to sit(or stand) for anything going on in the atrium. there are a number of other places on the ship where you can sit, have a drink and enjoy (or not) the entertainment provided

• Like 1

When I was on the Dawn last spring, their game shows, trivia, and "mid-level" stuff was in the Bliss Lounge.  The Atrium had piano music for the most part and what I would consider more passive entertainment.  When I was on the Joy over Christmas, these were in the Atrium.  I found it more pleasant to attend those events in the Bliss Lounge.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SeaShark said:

What exactly do you see as the problem?

a) Are you looking for a solution to all of the people standing and watching the shows while you are occupying a chair in the Atrium?

or 

b) Are you one of the people standing in the Atrium and you'd like to find a way to get people out of the seats so that you can have one yourself?

Both plus….

c) The area simply has too little capacity overall for the amount of people events attract there. Events that attract that many people, such as shows put on by the cruise director and asst cruise director (the movie sketch show for example), should be done in a larger venue. 

Edited by bowlinmoe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bowlinmoe said:

Both plus….

c) The area simply has too little capacity overall for the amount of people events attract there. Events that attract that many people, such as shows put on by the cruise director and asst cruise director (the movie sketch show for example), should be done in a larger venue. 

So, there is no "fix" since the 2-story Atrium is a large venue on the ship. Bigger than Pour House. Bigger than Headliners. The Supper Club may be a bit bigger and the Theater are really better used for shows. The Atrium was purpose built for this purpose with the large video wall. 

And on the 6 new Prima-class ships delivering through 2027, the Atrium, used for entertainment, is even smaller. 

2 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

Just got off the Escape.  This wasn't the case for our cruise.

Interesting. The seats were always available every day on our 16 day TA. Even when we showed up late. I guess this is the definition of YMMV.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rxlowry said:

It’s really tacky too when they bring out the folding chairs to such a beautiful area.  

it just proves that the seating in the area is lacking and lucky management has thought of an alternative solution by providing temporary chairs

depending on the event going on, o sheahan seating can be just as crowded and its even worse because of the background bar noise making it impossible to hear the PA system for the event

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I don't see that there is a problem to fix.

NCL intentionally put activities in the Atrium. There are other venues, but the Atrium draws attention to the shows/presentation. 

Sorry if you show up late and in the SRO section. If there is something we want to see, we get a drink (or two) from the Atrium bar and have a seat. 

As far back as I can remember, cruise lines have had entertainment in their Atrium-equivalent. Although, we we first started cruising it was a string quartet or harpist. 

I agree, I have never stood for an Atrium show. All the cruise's I have been on , the ships have always brought out a large number of folding chairs.

Edited by Topdog52
to ad more

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

On Escape, O'Sheahan's has a ring of seating overlooking the Atrium. Those seats were always available on our cruise.

Getaway, Bliss, and Encore, our experience was that for certain shows in the Atrium the Osheehans level was also full.  The few times we found a seat up there, the background noise made it less than ideal.

• Like 1

One issue in the Atrium had bled over from the pool chair hogs.  People reserve seats for others who either don’t show, or show up halfway through the shows.   I always tell them I will get up when their “other party” shows up.  I can’t recall ever having to give up my seat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, there is no "fix" since the 2-story Atrium is a large venue on the ship. Bigger than Pour House. Bigger than Headliners. The Supper Club may be a bit bigger and the Theater are really better used for shows. The Atrium was purpose built for this purpose with the large video wall. 

I agree there isn't a reasonable fix.  I can't help but think the designers intended it this way.  Put this venue right in the highest traffic area, make it a bit undersized so it's always packed and likely people standing and it will give off this positive, good-times-being-had here, vibe.

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And on the 6 new Prima-class ships delivering through 2027, the Atrium, used for entertainment, is even smaller. 

And that's the part that disappoints me yet reinforces that the Atrium situation is exactly as NCL wants it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry if you show up late and in the SRO section.

We've showed early and found all seats taken to certain shows.  Then we head upstairs and often all those seats are taken.  

So it's not a case of showing up late.  The venue simply doesn't have enough seating for certain shows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, complawyer said:

in 20 cruises on ncl, i havent even bothered to sit(or stand) for anything going on in the atrium.

So you haven't ever participated in anything in the atrium yet you imply there isn't a problem?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

We've showed early and found all seats taken to certain shows.  Then we head upstairs and often all those seats are taken.  

So it's not a case of showing up late.  The venue simply doesn't have enough seating for certain shows.

You’ve got the atrium sleepers too on some cruises. I’ve seen people sitting there hours dozing away on sea days.  

• Like 2