Cold and flu medication what’s allowed

Cruisenfun2023

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Prescribed meds yes, but they can take OTC meds.

anything medically necessary - TSA doesn't say it has to be prescribed.

I am traveling with medication, are there any requirements I should be aware of?

All passenger items must undergo security screening. It is recommended that medication be clearly labeled to facilitate the screening process.

You may bring medically necessary liquids, medications and creams in excess of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in your carry-on bag. Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

anything medically necessary - TSA doesn't say it has to be prescribed.

Anything medically necessary that you can't purchase beyond security or at your destination. Your OTC cough medicine can be confiscated.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You may bring medically necessary liquids, medications and creams in excess of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in your carry-on bag. Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings.

We had to do this with the gel DH uses on his back apparatus.  TSA was going to confiscate it but I pitched a fit.  They allowed him to keep it if he would agree to a frisk and full carryon search.  He was willing to let them keep it but I said no way...he needs it!  They didn't like me much.  Amazing the cajones you acquire once you hit 50!  Wasn't TSA's fault...they were doing their job.  DH should have packed in suitcase...but still.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:59 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

My cruising medical bag includes:

band aids

ibuprofen

eye patch

and sling 

That’s what happens when you’re married to a gulf war medic. 🤦‍♀️

Add a couple of packets of TheraFlu and it's very similar to mine.  

In a pinch, hot tea, mixed with a shot of bourbon or rum, honey and lemon to taste, can help with flu / flu like symptoms. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You're my kind of doctor.

Thanks, I find it works really well if you take three or four doses at the first sign of a sniffle and crawl into bed with with lots of covering.   It's a trick I learned from my elders when growing up so cannot claim credit. 

• Like 1

On our Reflection cruise last September, I basically took the medicine cabinet.  Covid tests, cold meds, stomach meds, a pulse oximeter, thermometer.....  Thankfully, we didn't need it until the day after we got home.  My wife came down with Covid.  

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Anything medically necessary that you can't purchase beyond security or at your destination. Your OTC cough medicine can be confiscated.

That is not true.   TSA in both Canada and USA consider cough and cold medications, essential non perscription medications . They permit greater amounts than the 3.4 ounces in your carry on luggage.  The only condition is that you must advise the TSA agent what you have at security check in.   DAMHIK , but that is the policy.   

16 minutes ago, retird said:

That is not true.   TSA in both Canada and USA consider cough and cold medications, essential non perscription medications . They permit greater amounts than the 3.4 ounces in your carry on luggage.  The only condition is that you must advise the TSA agent what you have at security check in.   DAMHIK , but that is the policy.   

Below is the language from the TSA website. It looks like if you declare that you need it during the flight, that would be the workaround. 

The 3-1-1 liquids rule exemption allows certain items to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft when the item is declared and it is:

1. Required during your flight and/or at your travel destination;
  2. Not available at the airport in the sterile area (after the screening checkpoint) and/or;
  3. Not available at your travel destination.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:42 AM, Cruisenfun2023 said:

We’re sailing on Equinox in a couple weeks and I’m packing a cold and flu kit for rack of us such cough drops, thermometer, etc. I was going to pack unopened liquid cough and flu medicine. Does anyone know whether Celebrity allows liquid cough medicine to be taken on board in checked luggage? 

I’ve never had a problem. They are looking for bottles of wine or booze.  Cold medicine is totally fine.

Update and FYI only- As of Feb 2 the FDA announced that you no longer need a positive COVID test to be prescribed Paxlovid.  Just discuss with your doctor if you might want to add some to your onboard medications kits.  

Just now, TeeRick said:

Update and FYI only- As of Feb 2 the FDA announced that you no longer need a positive COVID test to be prescribed Paxlovid.  Just discuss with your doctor if you might want to add some to your onboard medications kits.  

That's good news.  I wonder what the shelf life is for it.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I brought Paxlovid in September, my dr. prescribed it just in case.  We didn't have a positive covid test.  Its also free, with or without insurance. 

Edited by calicakes

13 hours ago, calicakes said:

On our Reflection cruise last September, I basically took the medicine cabinet.  Covid tests, cold meds, stomach meds, a pulse oximeter, thermometer.....  Thankfully, we didn't need it until the day after we got home.  My wife came down with Covid.  

We did the same after reading on CC that passengers who bought cough medicine on the ships triggered a call from Medical to be Covid tested. I never believed this was the case but we didn't want to risk it. My wife got covid 5 days before the end of our cruise and spent the remaining days in an isolation cabin. The ship's medical office supplied her with a Robitussin knockoff and told her it was covered by medical and no cost to her. After we got off the ship and accessed our final invoice from the cruise, she was charged $42 for the cough syrup. That $42 charge was the only covid related expense our travel insurance would not cover.