The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 29th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is National Puzzle Day, National Cornchip Day, and National Seed Swap Day

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.--Carter Crocker

Meal Suggestion for today - Cheesy Chorizo, Chickpea & Crispy Rice Skillet
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Collins
Wine of the Day - Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Section 94 2020
Destination of the Day - Newport RI, Rhode Island

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 1-30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 1-31

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Punta del Este, Uruguay eta 1-30

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 1-30

Volendam

Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Panama Canal eta 1-30

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 12:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Drydock Malaysia until 2/2

Zuiderdam

Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Tonga 07:00 - 17:00

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDKmC3ustCnaPVwe3XuByurnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1674990270

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  It's pitch dark out, slightly warmer at 36F and will be cloudy with a high of 59 later on.  Rain is expected by 5 pm and I see rain on the forecast into Tuesday.  Not my favorite type of weather.  

Prayers for Roy whom we hope had a restful, pain-free night.  Hope you are released from the hospital as soon as possible and feeling much, much better.  Also want to say prayers for the Care list and salute our Celebration list (coming up soon).  Hope everyone here is healthy and safe!

Today we have puzzles, cornchips, and seed swapping to honor.  I remember we had some pepper seeds swapped right here on the Daily not that many growing seasons ago.  Who doesn't like cornchips though they may not be the best for your diet.  I'm not great at word puzzles but enjoy taxing my brain with Soduko.  Probably wouldn't like the menu suggestion or drink but the wine sounds good!  I don't know who Carter Crocker is but his quote is encouraging.  Today's port is Newport, Rhode Island US which is a new port for the Daily.  I know there are some interesting things to see and do there so hopefully someone will have some photos to share.  

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you to Roy who normally takes care of these lists.  You do a lot for us every day and we appreciate you.  If anyone has anything else to add today please let us know who your prayers and shoutouts go to.

Today’s care list:

Roy in hospital with pneumonia and low sodium
Marshhawk doctor/vet problems
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
RIP Patricia 1/23/23
Kazu with continuing pain
StLouisCruisers neighbor Rudy awaiting bypass surgery
From the rotation:
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement
Status of Scrapnana
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Debbie finishes bedroom painting/decorating

New photos of Miss Camilla and Elliott Rose
Redneck Bob in Vegas until 2/1
cruzn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Heartgrove (disembarking Carnival Legend), DeeniEncinitas, and sailingdutchy (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

22 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I don't know who Carter Crocker is but his quote is encouraging. 

Ms. Crocker is an author who wrote The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.  The quote is Christopher Robin talking to Pooh.  I this is a great quote for the Daily, you are courageous and inspiring  people.

Thank you @StLouisCruisers for stepping in for @rafinmd and to all the regular posters.

Positive thoughts to those who are healing and cheers to those who are cruising and celebrating.  

7CDCAB2F-F49E-4CED-9D2C-FE766AF23779.jpeg.efb08cd8ea38260cd017508aa395ba4d.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Jim Beam Collins cocktail:

Ingredients:
1 Part Jim Beam
0.5 Part Orange Juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 Orange Wheel
Directions:
Add fresh orange juice and sugar to a tall glass. Stir to dissolve sugar and measure and pour in Jim Beam. Fill glass completely with ice and top with soda water.Stir, garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 6.43.07 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Thank you Sandi for posting today's daily reports and lists.

It is much appreciated by us all.

Interesting days today and good quote.

Not sure about the food but the wine is lovely.

We had a late dinner last night.

Prayers 🙏 for all our friends on the daily who are unwell.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20230128_210410.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Sandi and THANK YOU for stepping up and stepping in for Roy for starting the Daily AND the Care & Celebration list 👍

interesting collection of days.  @StLouisCruisersSandi, you have a good memory on the pepper seeds.  Sadly the only seeds I saved this year were the Lavatera - no point in saving peppers any longer 😞 

i like the Crocker quote and today’s wine sounds promising.  DH would have loved today’s meal suggestion.

Not much excitement here other than the ongoing battle with pain & effort to rest. I’m going to run out of the new meds before I return to the Bone Clinic so working on a new plan to fight the pain  to try to make them last.  Seems to hurt less when it swells but sadly, i’m supposed to be fighting that. ‘Sigh’

B78B5103-5846-4B7D-835C-3A4FAB671023.thumb.jpeg.77b447c700cdc0b7d87a75e589d53230.jpeg

On my list today is to one finger type an email to the hospital in PV for my detailed bill (in Spanish).  Since I have no bill, the charges on my credit cards can’t be verified (and I can’t act with insurance) and accordingly they could be considered unauthorized - hope they get the hint. 🤞

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and all who need them.  Extras for Roy @rafinmdfor good care at the hospital, solution to his sodium & help with his pneumonia 🙏🏻. And a big cheer to those celebrating.

BF18BD6F-0668-40C7-B06E-B5E1A8E7BD5A.jpeg.f7e97b46c834350cceeac4cc550d9de1.jpeg

have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Sandi and THANK YOU for stepping up and stepping in for Roy for starting the Daily AND the Care & Celebration list 👍

interesting collection of days.  @StLouisCruisersSandi, you have a good memory on the pepper seeds.  Sadly the only seeds I saved this year were the Lavatera - no point in saving peppers any longer 😞 

i like the Crocker quote and today’s wine sounds promising.  DH would have loved today’s meal suggestion.

Not much excitement here other than the ongoing battle with pain & effort to rest. I’m going to run out of the new meds before I return to the Bone Clinic so working on a new plan to fight the pain  to try to make them last.  Seems to hurt less when it swells but sadly, i’m supposed to be fighting that. ‘Sigh’

B78B5103-5846-4B7D-835C-3A4FAB671023.thumb.jpeg.77b447c700cdc0b7d87a75e589d53230.jpeg

On my list today is to one finger type an email to the hospital in PV for my detailed bill (in Spanish).  Since I have no bill, the charges on my credit cards can’t be verified (and I can’t act with insurance) and accordingly they could be considered unauthorized - hope they get the hint. 🤞

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and all who need them.  Extras for Roy @rafinmdfor good care at the hospital, solution to his sodium & help with his pneumonia 🙏🏻. And a big cheer to those celebrating.

BF18BD6F-0668-40C7-B06E-B5E1A8E7BD5A.jpeg.f7e97b46c834350cceeac4cc550d9de1.jpeg

have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

Jacqui @kazu.

Can you dispute Section 75 with your credit card regarding charges you dispute?

I type with 1 finger all of the time and quite good at it now.

Sorry about your pain and hopefully your elbow will recover.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A big thank you to Sandi for stepping up while Roy is unwell.  Extra prayers for him.

We got more snow overnight, not sure if we'll have to get the snowblower out, but we'll definitely need to do some shovelling.  Everything looks beautiful from the inside of a warm home.

A good collection of days.  I enjoy crossword puzzles and soduko and a jigsaw puzzle passes the time on a snowy winter's day.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I'm going to roast a chicken.  I'll make mashed potatoes and gravy and some veg to round out the meal.  Not sure about dessert, but I know there will be wine.🙂

The drink sounds good, so does the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Sandi, thank you for covering for Roy & Rich and posting today’s Report & Daily!  And taking on the map and our Care/Celebration lists! Bless you. 

It was already 60 here this morning when Bindi and I headed out. It seems that the North/Northeast winds have kept the colder temps to my West. I guess I should not complain about them anymore. 

@rafinmd Roy, hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling a bit better. 
Off to the gym, then Aldi. Bindi walks and some chores.

My paper shredder has finally died. I know I had it when I lived in Annapolis and I left there in 2007. I believe I got my money’s worth, but I need to replace it - does anyone have a favorite “go to” brand?

D7809E66-398C-408D-9643-4254132FCCC8.jpeg.2e715c2a2c8159325da8c4276758b63e.jpeg

88DABB69-E56A-43F5-B760-0B0D3390EFE6.jpeg.98bd2b6beb36190ec7d8bd261b37fa54.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Section 94 2020

Another amazing New Zealand wine that folk in North America might have a difficult time finding. But it could be worth the hunt. Or perhaps a field trip to New Zealand. I found several online distributors - mostly in Europe willing to ship. Prices started at $35.88+ shipping. 

Winemaker Notes

Section 94 is one of the world’s most distinct wines, and regularly named New Zealand’s greatest Sauvignon Blanc. It’s so tough to place, which is extraordinary given that Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is one of the most defined and recognizable wine styles in the world. The exotic smoky and spicy flavors mingling with floral and ripe citrus notes, textural roundness playing against cool and fresh raciness; it’s not about generalities of the grape variety or the region, it’s a very specific wine made to emphasize the qualities of a very special place.

JS95 James Suckling
Flinty, reductive notes open up to lime zest, white grapefruit, dried pineapple, hay, white pepper and hints of praline. Medium-bodied with sharp acidity and a phenolic, tight and taut palate. Focused and long. Drink or hold.
WS93 Wine Spectator

While fleshy and succulent, this leads with crisp acidity. Offers notes of lanolin, litsea oil, honeysuckle, lemon curd, lime sherbet and dried chamomile, which are put into focus with mouthwatering acidity. Reveals mineral accents, reminiscent of white pepper, that linger on the long finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Jacqui @kazu.

Can you dispute Section 75 with your credit card regarding charges you dispute?

I type with 1 finger all of the time and quite good at it now.

Sorry about your pain and hopefully your elbow will recover.

Graham.

Of course i can dispute but I am sure the charges are accurate  and I do pay my bills. But I need those bills to proceed so if my veiled threat gets them to me, great and if not, i will issue a demand and dispute if need be.

i abhor 1 finger typing.  I type and have keyboards so one finger is just to slow to suit me.  In the time it takes me to do this, i could have done at least 3 emails to guides to change organizers for my cancelled cruises. And with fewer typos 😝 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning and continued prayers for Roy!

The Volendam will be in Ushuaia today. The captain moved us forward a day so we would be passing through Glacier Alley and the Beagle Channel in daylight. Another thank you captain.  We are anchoring at 2 and we.go ashore for our private tour at 3.  We are getting little bits of sun peeking through.   It is simply breathtaking!   Prayers for all on our Care list, Jacqui, Kathi, Sarah and Tana.   Have a lovely day. Nancy 

IMG_20230129_082647686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_085108310_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230129_072432359.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Of course i can dispute but I am sure the charges are accurate  and I do pay my bills. But I need those bills to proceed so if my veiled threat gets them to me, great and if not, i will issue a demand and dispute if need be.

i abhor 1 finger typing.  I type and have keyboards so one finger is just to slow to suit me.  In the time it takes me to do this, i could have done at least 3 emails to guides to change organizers for my cancelled cruises. And with fewer typos 😝 

Good luck.

Hopefully they might take notice of you now.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  everyone. I crept outside in the dark with the two dogs and it looks like a nice start to the day.It will get up to 50 and we may even see the sun.

@rafinmd,Roy, I hope you got some sleep at the hospital and that the pain is less.Sending extra prayers  your way.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi  thank you for all your work bringing  us the Daily and our lists.The picture of Elliot Rose was so beautiful. It is amazing how much they  change at that age.

@kazu,Jacqui, I am sorry to hear that the pain continues  to be so hard to control.Doctors around here are reluctant  to prescribe pain meds as I found out after my surgery.I remember watching the clock especially  right after the surgery as I was limited by the prescribed  amount. 

Newport Rhode Island is very important  in our family. My DB was stationed at the Naval Base there in the late 60's.My DSIL was at a Newport bar with friends(she lived in Fall River,MA) and met a "sailor" there.They were married  at the Officerc Club right before he went to Vietnam.In those days there was a ferry instead of the impressive  Newport Bridge.Over the years we have been back to enjoy the Cliff Walk and some of the mansions including the Breakers. It is a really nice place to visit with great restaurants .

Of course, all the pictures are in my mind....

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

We have a crosscut shredder, not the strip one.  It's a Fellow brand and has been working great for over 10 years.

Thank you Dixie! I found a model that actually shreds credit cards. They have come a long way in 16+ years!

• Like 21

13 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My paper shredder has finally died. I know I had it when I lived in Annapolis and I left there in 2007. I believe I got my money’s worth, but I need to replace it - does anyone have a favorite “go to” brand?

Mine died when I started shredding DH’s multiple files.  I bought this one and it works like a horse.

EED535F4-9A00-405F-9225-F1838D8824F4.thumb.jpeg.5c79ccf413e7502c824e909be466b1d4.jpeg

you have to give it a break if you are doing a lot for more than around 20 minutes - but it does a lot.  I decided to get a good one to handle it all.

I bought it early last year from Costco on line.  you know those large, clear leaf bags?   It has shredded at least 40 of those bags worth of documents (that’s a low guess).  And it’s still going 🙂 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. I don’t know who Crocker is but I love the quote . Sandi, thank you for taking over for Roy, and Roy I hope you’re feeling better and home soon. 
I’m off to the clubhouse today to see a show and have some goodies to eat.We’ve been to Newport many times. Sam was there in the summer of 1961 for some Navy training. We had a land trip and a cruise stop many years later.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi and Rich. I’ll pass on the days but do enjoy SUDOKU when 

I have access.  I’ve been to Newport several times but never on a BHB.  Sandi, I normally carry deaths for 7 days.  I think @kazu’s list shows Daily some of us boarding 2/4.  My O2 level is dropping so I expect a longer stay.  While my church livestreams Father David may be my only uninterrupted service today.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 26

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info Sandi and hope Roy is feeling better.

Today is National Puzzle Day. That’s my life, one big puzzle with a few pieces missing 😳. My favorite puzzle I recently played was in December on the N. Statendam. It was called “Buns Out”. I leave that to your imagination.

Well, today is Day 5 of 7 cruising along the Vegas Strip. Today we go to Egypt and visit the world famous pyramid, The Luxor. I’m hoping to see Cleopatra but I heard she made have run away with some guy named Burton. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

I bought a Royal crosscut shredder from Costco many years ago and it's still going strong, plus it shreds  credit cards and other pieces of ID.

Not a lot planned for today.  Dh will be watching NFL football.  I will be cooking a roast of pork later with crackling.  There will also be homemade  scalloped potatoes.   It's another cold day here.  No sun yet. There is a possibility that we might go to Costco today.  Not sure yet.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Prayers for all in need.  Extra prayers for Jacqui and Roy.  Jacqui — you have certainly had an interesting start to 2023.  Hoping your doctors figure out a course of action and the speediest of recovery for you.  Roy — you continue to be a mainstay of this thread and all are concerned for your hospital stay.  Be well and get better soon.

Off to church in a bit and then I hope to get in a walk.  (I could not find my winter scarf last week but found some yarn and quickly knit one up.  Now I can keep my neck and face warmer outside.). Some type of take out will be eaten today as we watch the Eagles vs 49ers at my sister’s house.  We live outside of Philly and will secretly hope the Eagles win as my nephew is a big 49ers fan.  Should be an interesting game. 

Everyone, please stay safe and have a blessed weekend.  Katherine 

• Like 29

I'm puzzled most of the time, so I guess that this is my day. I called at Newport on the Norwegian Gem a few years ago, but I used to live in southern Massachusetts and have walked all over Newport with a Volkssport club.

Touro Synagogue in Newport:

IMG_20181026_110928.thumb.jpg.fcec980eec46f48b54b1a89aac64ba0b.jpg

On the packing question from yesterday: shoes alone are too bulky and heavy for really light packing, but at least I can pack clothing for only four days instead of seven.

1570425589_spacecomments.thumb.jpg.5b66f4e6023b9f6b46767e59f5356d55.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 21
  • Haha 6