Singles/Fares

Observer

Crystal holds a sweet spot in my cruising life. I was eagerly looking forward to its return.

What I see thus far is disappointing.  Crystal was very friendly to solo travelers, with decent single supplements for cabins with verandas. Do they now imagine that singles will be satisfied with a window rather than a veranda? Or is it singles who want a veranda will be willing to pay the full fare for double occupancy?  

I hope that Crystal will soon be announcing decent single fares for veranda cabins.  Regent offers some sailings with single supplements of 25 or 50%, and Silversea has a lot of 25% single supplements sailings as well as many at 50%.  I was initially attracted to Crystal by its reputation and its affordability for a solo traveler (who insists upon a veranda). 

In any case, the fares seem to be very high on a per diem basis. Luxury lines like Regent and Silversea are including such items as excursions, airfare, laundry in their fares.  Some of us would prefer fewer inclusions, and in some cases price reductions are available if items are excluded from a booking.. But from my quick study of several itineraries, it appears that the Crystal fares are very high while offering few significant inclusions.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Observer said:

Crystal holds a sweet spot in my cruising life. I was eagerly looking forward to its return.

What I see thus far is disappointing.  Crystal was very friendly to solo travelers, with decent single supplements for cabins with verandas. Do they now imagine that singles will be satisfied with a window rather than a veranda? Or is it singles who want a veranda will be willing to pay the full fare for double occupancy?  

I hope that Crystal will soon be announcing decent single fares for veranda cabins.  Regent offers some sailings with single supplements of 25 or 50%, and Silversea has a lot of 25% single supplements sailings as well as many at 50%.  I was initially attracted to Crystal by its reputation and its affordability for a solo traveler (who insists upon a veranda). 

In any case, the fares seem to be very high on a per diem basis. Luxury lines like Regent and Silversea are including such items as excursions, airfare, laundry in their fares.  Some of us would prefer fewer inclusions, and in some cases price reductions are available if items are excluded from a booking.. But from my quick study of several itineraries, it appears that the Crystal fares are very high while offering few significant inclusions.

I agree completely, but we simply don't know where this is going to land yet.  As many will recall I'm not a fan of designated single cabins because they are almost always in less than ideal locations, as we see here with Crystal, but most lines make those one component of their offerings for singles, AND I was in the minority on that opinion on the board.  

No matter what Crystal says their single supplement ladder is at this point, give it 6 months until the schema has been market tested.

Vince

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am not a fan of designated areas for solo cruisers, which are not midship and which are put together as if someone expects solos remain on their own. Was not NCL which had that concept ? 

Crystal is not back. The new Crystal with the former 2 Crystal ships is starting to operate. I will wait and see how it develops further with the new Crystal.
Ivi

• Like 6

I will never sail as a single (or a double) without a verandah at least and preferably (if $ is right) a penthouse.  I can get reasonable single supplements on the other luxury lines and get verandahs.  I am looking forward to any communication about single supplements for other categories.  If it is a message to singles to take what we give you (window cabins forward and welcome to bow thruster and anchor chain noises) and be happy because we will only give you a discount on these cabins I will not be sailing with them.  Guess I got spoiled with their former approach to singles.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

I will never sail as a single (or a double) without a verandah at least and preferably (if $ is right) a penthouse.  I can get reasonable single supplements on the other luxury lines and get verandahs.  I am looking forward to any communication about single supplements for other categories.  If it is a message to singles to take what we give you (window cabins forward and welcome to bow thruster and anchor chain noises) and be happy because we will only give you a discount on these cabins I will not be sailing with them.  Guess I got spoiled with their former approach to singles.

This is a NEW Crystal - new management - new financial goals, etc. what the former Crystal did has no bearing on the current situation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RD64 said:

This is a NEW Crystal - new management - new financial goals, etc. what the former Crystal did has no bearing on the current situation.

Obviously and my past loyalty has nothing to do with my future loyalty.  Choice is good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind not having a balcony, since Crystal has so many nice public areas outside, and I would be perfectly happy with a small window cabin (which is what I previously booked).  I am miffed about the very forward location, though, but that's pretty much all that's available unless one steps up to a balcony, and I feel that paying the price increase for a small balcony on the same sized room on Crystal is a waste of money.  (Worth it on other cruise lines that only have crowded and noisy public spaces, but that wasn't Crystal past and probably won't be Crystal 2.0).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

(Worth it on other cruise lines that only have crowded and noisy public spaces, but that wasn't Crystal past and probably won't be Crystal 2.0).

Especially with less pax.

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

I hope - i am a single - that single sup will not be 100 % if you want something better as the "single cabins 

i do not need a PH but i would like at least a verandah

At the moment it looks like you will just have the ocean view cabins no balcony on deck 7 forward… 

Ivi

The entry level balcony on Silversea was 40 square feet larger than the Aquamarine suite and had same features plus a full tub.  When their single supplement is 25 percent there are several voyages I can get for less than the 7 th floor forward rooms allotted to we misfits!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I (usually) don't travel single so I'll be the first to admit I'm not qualified to answer, but, from an outsider's view, it looks like the designated "single" cabins have a super, super great supplement - it's almost nothing.  I was shocked at how good it is. If you want a better cabin, you will have to pay much more, and I think many cruise lines compare. (I have a relative who paid 2X for a cabin in the past when he was traveling single.)

The "old" Crystal did offer a great single supplement, much better than anyone else. It was why so many singles sailed with them. But the "old" Crystal also went out of business. Obviously the "new" Crystal is trying to be more profitable (and let's hope they are, so we can continue to sail with them).  Perhaps as the market settles out, and if they need to book cabins in the future, they will change their strategy.

I have a lot of single friends and I value their friendship very much. I hope it can all work out,  but I can see why Crystal is doing what they are doing, at least for now. I hope that makes sense.

P.S. I like to have a veranda, so I totally get that, but I don't think the forward cabins on Deck 7 are so bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I (usually) don't travel single so I'll be the first to admit I'm not qualified to answer, but, from an outsider's view, it looks like the designated "single" cabins have a super, super great supplement - it's almost nothing.  I was shocked at how good it is. If you want a better cabin, you will have to pay much more, and I think many cruise lines compare. (I have a relative who paid 2X for a cabin in the past when he was traveling single.)

The "old" Crystal did offer a great single supplement, much better than anyone else. It was why so many singles sailed with them. But the "old" Crystal also went out of business. Obviously the "new" Crystal is trying to be more profitable (and let's hope they are, so we can continue to sail with them).  Perhaps as the market settles out, and if they need to book cabins in the future, they will change their strategy.

I have a lot of single friends and I value their friendship very much. I hope it can all work out,  but I can see why Crystal is doing what they are doing, at least for now. I hope that makes sense.

P.S. I like to have a veranda, so I totally get that, but I don't think the forward cabins on Deck 7 are so bad.

I agree,I would even go as far to say that New Crystal do not really want solo travellers by how they are segregating them on deck seven forward.

Yes they do need to make money and solo travellers with a big discount taking up a double occupancy veranda or larger suite takes some of the profit that could have been.

If the rooms on deck seven do not sell ,which I suspect,Crystal will use them for guest entertainers,higher ranking crew and have them spare for emergency room changes as they have done on the past.

Of course solo travellers would be welcomed if they pay double and only drink and eat for one.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I agree,I would even go as far to say that New Crystal do not really want solo travellers by how they are segregating them on deck seven forward.

Yes they do need to make money and solo travellers with a big discount taking up a double occupancy veranda or larger suite takes some of the profit that could have been.

If the rooms on deck seven do not sell ,which I suspect,Crystal will use them for guest entertainers,higher ranking crew and have them spare for emergency room changes as they have done on the past.

Of course solo travellers would be welcomed if they pay double and only drink and eat for one.

I agree that Crystal is signaling that they do not want solo travelers. I disagree that those cabins being allocated for solo cruises are great. Lets just mention the forward location. Those of us who like to cruise know that one of the 3 most important things when picking a cabin are “location, location and location”. 

Right now I am on a ship in this wonderful itinerary which includes Beagle Channel and Magellan Strait. Last night we had very rough seas coming out of the Beagle Channel and on a part of the Drake passage. My cabin, midship   Was a perfect place to stay on this rough seas. I do not wish to imagine what it would have been on a cabin forward 😳. I could do without a balcony if necessary, but it would have to be midship. And because of that I would have to pay for two passengers? 

I mean either forward for about 25% solo deal or midship for 100%? My cabin now with balcony, midship,  came with a 25% solo deal and this in one of the most appreciated itineraries for cruising. Not a Miami to Barbados cruise, where solo discounts and lower cruise prices are normal. 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

The old Crystal had a straight 25% single supplement for all of deck seven (the ocean view cabins).  The new Crystal (Quoting here for the World Cruise...not sure about the other cruises) has a Zero supplement for the designated solo cabins, and a 50% supplement for the other cabins on deck seven. 

13 hours ago, travelberlin said:

As long I get better offers from other luxury and premium companies

I have so far not been impressed with the other companies, but YMMV.  I haven't yet tried Regent, which is probably about the same cost as a Crystal Veranda cabin for a single. 

However, I was assuming an almost 100% supplement -- if History & Wine is right, and there's a 50% supplement on the few mid-ship window cabins on deck 7, that would be better. 

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

one of the 3 most important things when picking a cabin are “location, location and location”. 

That's true, but picking a cabin location is less important than picking a ship and itinerary.  I'd rather cruise on a great ship in a forward cabin, than on a mediocre ship with a great midship cabin location.    Particularly if the itinerary you want is typically calm - you might think the Magellan Strait is part of a great cruise itinerary, while I think a long voyage across the placid Pacific Ocean is a great itinerary.

5 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

That's true, but picking a cabin location is less important than picking a ship and itinerary.  I'd rather cruise on a great ship in a forward cabin, than on a mediocre ship with a great midship cabin location.    Particularly if the itinerary you want is typically calm - you might think the Magellan Strait is part of a great cruise itinerary, while I think a long voyage across the placid Pacific Ocean is a great itinerary.

Mediocre company? I never cruise with a mediocre company 😁 All my cruises have been amazing with friendly and efficient crew, good food and personalized services.And how good the new Crystal will be only God knows…

By the way, we have cruised with Crystal on the Pacific Ocean and nothing was “pacific” on certain days. They have even sealed cabins on the 7th floor putting shutters or something similar due to rough seas. We have even experienced rough seas on the Mediterranean which can be very temperamental. 

But we all have options and it is good so. 
Ivi

• Like 1

I note that there are 14 cabins designated as solo cabins on Serenity.  But under Serenity's previous deck plan, there were 20 more cabins (7002 through 7021) further forward.  I don't know if those cabins have been removed,  or if they are reserved for speakers/entertainers...or something else. 

In any case, I feel better knowing that the solo cabins are not all the way forward.  I sailed in cabin 7043 on my first world cruise in 2012.  That's pretty close to the new solo cabins.  I had no issues with the location. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

You never know til you get there.......I cruised with Seabourn and, in spite of their reputation, found them just barely above mediocre. 

one opinion

which is true about al the opinions about other lines on this thread.

NancyGP posted how much she enjoyed Seabourn and booked more cruises.

We now think Regent and SS are just as good if not better than Crystal

Another posted thought food on SS was awful.

Others think if it's not Crystal it's not worth sailing.

This is true now and will be after the new Crystal finally sails.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bitob said:

one opinion

which is true about al the opinions about other lines on this thread.

NancyGP posted how much she enjoyed Seabourn and booked more cruises.

We now think Regent and SS are just as good if not better than Crystal

Another posted thought food on SS was awful.

Others think if it's not Crystal it's not worth sailing.

This is true now and will be after the new Crystal finally sails.

In the end the only opinion that matters is our own.

If we all thought  the same way it would be boring.

The key is find what you like and go with it and that applies to pretty much everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1