Are the itineraries interesting?

HappyInVan

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have wonderful memories of our time in Bordeaux and also visiting chateau's on another visit.  There is so much to enjoy in this region.  

Question.  Are you saying there is a security issue or that they have addressed it?

Keith

There is no real terminal , only a small office and they put crush barriers  and 2 guards to pass those

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

There is no real terminal , only a small office and they put crush barriers  and 2 guards to pass those

Got it, and I knew that.

When you said security I didn't realize you were speaking about security near the ship. I thought you were talking about security being an issue in Bordeaux which I thought was surprising.

Thanks,

Keith

What's an attractive or interesting itinerary will vary from person to person.  I personally am not terribly impressed with the itineraries so far, because I favour lots of days at sea; I'm disappointed not to see any straight transoceanics.  I cruise for the sea days and the ship, not the ports.  My favourite Crystal itinerary involved 15 straight sea days from Hawaii to Aukland - it was heavenly. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

What's an attractive or interesting itinerary will vary from person to person.  I personally am not terribly impressed with the itineraries so far, because I favour lots of days at sea; I'm disappointed not to see any straight transoceanics.  I cruise for the sea days and the ship, not the ports.  My favourite Crystal itinerary involved 15 straight sea days from Hawaii to Aukland - it was heavenly. 

That was always a problem for us when we booked Crystal 

We like sea days.  With only 2 ships, itineraries are limited and crossings few.

Plus, sea days were the draw to Crystal -- all those great activities

If you love sea days, take a look at Silversea LAX to Vancouver April 2025

19 days -- 11 sea days.  My kind of itinerary

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

If you love sea days, take a look at Silversea LAX to Vancouver April 2025

19 days -- 11 sea days.  My kind of itinerary

I was on the Silver Muse this past Dec., 18 days Singapore to Sydney with 9 sea days. Enrichment was lacking and entertainment was even worse. I keep hearing Silversea is upping their game with those - when you're in the basement, any improvement is up. YMMV

Patty

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I was on the Silver Muse this past Dec., 18 days Singapore to Sydney with 9 sea days. Enrichment was lacking and entertainment was even worse. I keep hearing Silversea is upping their game with those - when you're in the basement, any improvement is up. YMMV

Patty

my 2 cruises had great entertainment and enrichment (former Crystal lectures in fact!!)

19 minutes ago, bitob said:

my 2 cruises had great entertainment and enrichment (former Crystal lectures in fact!!)

My cruise last month had somewhat more entertainment than the ones last year but was still sorely lacking in enrichment. 

I have reviewed the itineraries and given that we are pretty well traveled have found only two of interest. One booked and waiting for 1 to be quoted. While we enjoy some sea days it seems that itineraries we are interested in have too many of them. Still perusing the itineraries as something else may catch our eye.

Have booked two Regent itineraries instead. Strangely enough, we moved from Regent to Crystal because of new itineraries but now with more ships they have expanded their offerings. 

It is good to have choice and looking forward to trying the new Crystal.

Edited by Emdee
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Emdee said:

I have reviewed the itineraries and given that we are pretty well traveled have found only two of interest. One booked and waiting for 1 to be quoted. While we enjoy some sea days it seems that itineraries we are interested in have too many of them. Still perusing the itineraries as something else may catch our eye.

Have booked two Regent itineraries instead. Strangely enough, we moved from Regent to Crystal because of new itineraries but now with more ships they have expanded their offerings. 

It is good to have choice and looking forward to trying the new Crystal.

Some I was interested in also had too many sea days. I was thinking Crystal may be locked out of some ports as they are late trying to get spots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hypercafe said:

Some I was interested in also had too many sea days. I was thinking Crystal may be locked out of some ports as they are late trying to get spots.

We were wondering that too but one thing we learnt is not to book three years in advance. So will wait for future itineraries and meanwhile the two crystal cruises we are going on.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, crickette said:

Along the same lines - did anyone see any "maiden" calls on any of the itineraries?  If not, same old is a good label.

Quick question....just what locations would you expect for a new maiden call?  After 30 years and multiple world cruises, I have trouble picturing maiden calls that would actually be desirable.  Sure, they could go to some obscure places in Africa or the like -- and would get the complaints of "and why are they stopping in THAT hellhole of a nothing".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hypercafe said:

Interesting different tastes - ones we were interested in had to FEW sea days!😎

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Enrichment was lacking and entertainment was even worse.

Neither of those things matter to me much.......I enjoy relaxing in the middle of the ocean without a shoreline in sight, in comfort and with good food.  I often enjoyed lectures, but usually from my cabin before bed or while dressing - I didn't go to the lectures in person, and I virtually never went to evening shows.  I know, I'm - ahem - unique.  

Yes, even if a third of the days were sea days, I'd be happy - a half, and I'd be very happy.  Staying on the ship while in port isn't the same for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of itineraries...  has anyone managed to get a straight answer from Crystal as to when the missing itineraries are going to populate on the website.   I am not talking about the World Cruise segments because I understand the reason they are not up on the website yet.   I want to see all of the other missing ones.  If anyone knows why this is delayed I would love to understand what's going on.

• Like 1

Has anyone been told or seen itineraries and pricing for the calendar gaps on Serenity Nov/Dec 2023?  I realize A & K has a lot on it’s plate in order to enter the market later this year, but with all the hype regarding the Open Booking Deposits and having the opportunity to book before things are open to the masses…..I would expect a bit more information by now.  Even if it is some kind of online statement as to when we could expect the basics.

I was told by my TA that the Feds have to approve any departure from the U.S., but supposedly that approval was given so who knows why they haven’t filled in the gaps. Maybe they haven’t actually gotten that approval yet. 

So far a big Meh...

Better Canada/New England on SS.

Better Australia/NZ/South Pacific with Regent -- with all the Kiwi ports that Crystal is forgeting

Better Med/Greece/Turkey -- with Seabourn

Japan Circumnavigation that Crystal is not doing with Regent

Would love to try but for us the ship is not the destination but only a means.

7 hours ago, LoveBora said:

I was told by my TA that the Feds have to approve any departure from the U.S., but supposedly that approval was given so who knows why they haven’t filled in the gaps. Maybe they haven’t actually gotten that approval yet. 

You are correct.  No departures until you can prove your ability to meet financial obligations and post a surety bond for the approvals.   I am surprised they are allowed to take deposits for the WC yet, because these leave from the US and must be insured.

It is protection from BANKRUPTCY...  Familiar ring... 

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

So far a big Meh...

Better Canada/New England on SS.

Better Australia/NZ/South Pacific with Regent -- with all the Kiwi ports that Crystal is forgeting

Better Med/Greece/Turkey -- with Seabourn

Japan Circumnavigation that Crystal is not doing with Regent

Would love to try but for us the ship is not the destination but only a means.

You are correct.  No departures until you can prove your ability to meet financial obligations and post a surety bond for the approvals.   I am surprised they are allowed to take deposits for the WC yet, because these leave from the US and must be insured.

It is protection from BANKRUPTCY...  Familiar ring... 

the protection from US ports does not work. Our WC was departing from the US (leaving from the US).  We are in the list of the assignees like for any other cruise. 
Ivi

Since time is running out and no chance to book a Panama Canal cruise I will be booking on Regent. The lack of itineraries of my choice  is my biggest bugbear.

Maybe the new Crystal is planning to position themselves as an Ocean Liner and not be itinerary driven. If so they should provide information on planned activities, enrichment, entertainment etc. While we love the old ships and staff this is a new company and they are providing very sparse information. I may have hyped myself unnecessarily.

Time will tell. 

Edited by Emdee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

the protection from US ports does not work. Our WC was departing from the US (leaving from the US).  We are in the list of the assignees like for any other cruise. 
Ivi

They have yet to settle these claims.  The bond exists, but payment from the bond is after any money you get from the normal process.  So it is is the very last action.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emdee said:

Since time is running out and no chance to book a Panama Canal cruise I will be booking on Regent. The lack of itineraries of my choice  is my biggest bugbear.

Maybe the new Crystal is planning to position themselves as an Ocean Liner and not be itinerary driven. If so they should provide information on planned activities, enrichment, entertainment etc. While we love the old ships and staff this is a new company and they are providing very sparse information. I may have hyped myself unnecessarily.

Time will tell. 

The old Crystal was the best for sea days due to enrichment and entertainment. For itineraries, there are better options at lower prices. If you are in port most days for most of the day, activities and entertainment are less important. SB has excellent itineraries in the Med for 20% less even when comparing he entry level cabins which are much larger on SB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The old Crystal was the best for sea days due to enrichment and entertainment. For itineraries, there are better options at lower prices. If you are in port most days for most of the day, activities and entertainment are less important. SB has excellent itineraries in the Med for 20% less even when comparing he entry level cabins which are much larger on SB.

Tried SB and booked on three more. 
While their itineraries are good each of the 4 we did in the last three years were different. One was  excellent, two middling and one a holy mess.

We have travelled the world but still enjoy some sightseeing so now booked on 4 Regent, the SB ones which I may or may not take and 1 Crystal. 
The  cost is one thing but I want to travel and sightsee when I am able. When I am not I will board in Miami and rent a scooter. 

• Like 1