High Tea

371marty

43 minutes ago, mom says said:

I don't think any line does a high tea (as it is properly defined). X does do a form of  afternoon tea, but depending on the ship it may just be a few different items in the buffet.

Viking does formal tea daily, with over 30 varieties of tea plus pastries, savories, scones w/ clotted cream and classical music.  Very popular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Viking does formal tea daily, with over 30 varieties of tea plus pastries, savories, scones w/ clotted cream and classical music.  Very popular.

Viking tea is a "don't miss" event for us. Crystal formal tea was very special. 

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mom says said:

OK, my 2 cents:

High Tea includes hot, but light, food. So croque monsieur served in the latish afternoon would be part of a high tea. It is sometimes also given to very young children, ahead of their bedtime, so the adults can enjoy dinner (or supper, if you prefer) later.

Afternoon Tea is dainty but tasty sandwiches (e.g. salmon or shrimp )and cakes - usually including scones (which may be warm from the oven), jam and thick (clotted) cream (in lieu of butter). It is generally served a little earlier than high tea - from around 3:00pm onward. It is a very light meal and is considered to be quite sociable - it is not served in the dining room, rather in the lounge or even the library.

Both are, of course, served with hot, properly brewed tea, typically Darjeeling and/or earl grey. In NAm, orange pekoe is a common brew too.

Boiling water (essential) is poured over the tea leaves, in a warmed pot and left to brew for four minutes. A splash of milk in the cup is optional.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Canuker said:

OK, my 2 cents:

High Tea includes hot, but light, food. So croque monsieur served in the latish afternoon would be part of a high tea. It is sometimes also given to very young children, ahead of their bedtime, so the adults can enjoy dinner (or supper, if you prefer) later.

Afternoon Tea is dainty but tasty sandwiches (e.g. salmon or shrimp )and cakes - usually including scones (which may be warm from the oven), jam and thick (clotted) cream (in lieu of butter). It is generally served a little earlier than high tea - from around 3:00pm onward. It is a very light meal and is considered to be quite sociable - it is not served in the dining room, rather in the lounge or even the library, at smaller tables.

Both are, of course, served with hot, properly brewed tea, typically Darjeeling and/or earl grey. In NAm, orange pekoe is a common brew too.

Boiling water (essential) is poured over the tea leaves, in a warmed pot and left to brew for four minutes. A splash of milk in the cup is optional.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:50 AM, vickykay said:

Do the still have the one time during the cruise elite/ +Captains club tea in the MDR?

I am wondering also.  Maybe someone on a recent sailing who is elite+ can answer this for us.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:38 PM, Canuker said:

OK, my 2 cents:

Afternoon Tea is dainty but tasty sandwiches (e.g. salmon or shrimp )and cakes - usually including scones (which may be warm from the oven), jam and thick (clotted) cream (in lieu of butter). It is generally served a little earlier than high tea - from around 3:00pm onward. It is a very light meal and is considered to be quite sociable - it is not served in the dining room, rather in the lounge or even the library.

Hello,

This is an excellent differentiation between 'Afternoon Tea' and 'High Tea'.

When the Eclipse first hit these shores about a decade ago, Murano served a 'once per cruise' Champagne Afternoon Tea. Sadly no more.

But I get my Afternoon Tea 'kicks' from Reid's Hotel in Madeira either to or from the Canaries see below.

Regards,

Cublet

Afternoon Tea at Reids 1.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:04 PM, mom says said:

I was taught many years ago that the easiest way to differentiate is that ‘high tea’ usually requires silverware/cutlery and ‘afternoon tea’ doesn’t (other that for spreading jam and cream on the scones of course. Let’s not open the ‘which goes on first’ debate!) 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:38 PM, Canuker said:

OK, my 2 cents:

Wow. Thanks for all of that valuable info.