"Bars on this ship are closed during sea days. So we paid for drinks we cannot have." from a Summit review

webecruzin2

The member who posted the review joined on Thursday just to post that. It does sound like he had other, bigger concerns about the cruise due to a special needs adult son and was disappointed overall with the cruise due to problems experienced due to limited beverages available and such. There is absolutely no way that bars are closed on sea days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if it is a typo and they meant to say port days instead of sea days.  If that were the case then I could see it a bit in that some bars are closed or open late.  Though even in Grand Cayman and Victoria, something is open and the Daily Planner/Celebrity app will show what is open.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOB999 said:

I wonder if it is a typo and they meant to say port days instead of sea days.  If that were the case then I could see it a bit in that some bars are closed or open late.  Though even in Grand Cayman and Victoria, something is open and the Daily Planner/Celebrity app will show what is open.

Great point.  Also, does it make sense that the poster shows their age as 30s but has an adult autistic child?  Not sure how much of the review is factual

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They tend to be closed at 5 AM, too. What a rip-off! 

I cannot recall a cruise where the pool bar wasn't open by 9 or 10 every single day, unless there was a weather problem (and then something else was open in its place).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OysterD said:

I've seen other reviews when I've often thought in addition to a 'helpful' button you can click, there should also be an 'unhelpful' and 'I call BS' button. 

A Thumbs Down would also be a nice buton

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOB999 said:

I do not think the Summit cruise went to Grand Cayman.  I could not find one that stopped there.

We have been cruising a couple times each year with our adult disabled daughter for many, many years.  Celebrity has ALWAYS gone out of their way to accomodate her/us!  From  attempting to removing strobe lights during shows & dance parties to an inside cabin without a tub for her to shower in... and all sorts of other things! She is high functioning and is very visible, getting involved with many of the activities on board. Everybody knows her!!  The staff, officers & crew are sensitive and caring... ALWAYS!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I don't think the reviewer is a troll or that he's making up what he perceived to be their experience on the Summit. Traveling with a special needs child can be highly stressful and having a negative experience can influence one's overall impressions of a cruise.

In support of the Summit crew, not all the staff on a ship (ie. security) would be automatically aware of an individual's special needs. A family can communicate needs to the cruise team, but that doesn't mean they fully understand the implications of how those needs impact the individual on a daily basis. Knowing from personal experience, Autism is tricky. A child/adult can present quite well at one point, then become extremely disregulated (poster described as a melt-down). Our family members have developed strategies to manage these situations with finesse. However, when others try to help they sometimes unwittingly interupt an intervention. 

We cruised on Summit in June with our 5yo grandson who has Autism. We communicated with special needs ahead of time to describe his needs. They arranged for special foods and dietary supplements to accommodate his feeding disorder needs. Sensory fidget toys were sent to the stateroom without our asking for them. Although he didn't use Camp at Sea, they were aware of his needs should he decide to partake. All went well in MDR until day 5 when there was a meltdown. Staff were very responsive and distracted other diners who were staring at us by engaging them in conversation. We thought that was very responsive and helpful with reducing our stress in that moment. This type of responsiveness from Celebrity staff is one of the main reasons we continue to sail with Celebrity.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Great point.  Also, does it make sense that the poster shows their age as 30s but has an adult autistic child?  Not sure how much of the review is factual

In Leeds where I live, some people in their 30s are grandparents 🤪🤪

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

In Leeds where I live, some people in their 30s are grandparents 🤪🤪

I Am totally sure here in the US, there are similar cities/counties with that demographic... LOL

bon voyage

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe it was a crew exercise and the OP didn’t realise the bars would be shut.

I see no reason why this person should be classed a troll.

Maybe she/he adopted the child,,if that is the truth they deserve praise not the usual derogatory comments by the usual crowd on here anytime anyone has the temerity to give Celebrity less than 10/10.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 2

Celebrity post pandemic doesn’t look like it used to be.  Last cruise in 2022 on Summit was   Ok.  It was our first time cruising since the pandemic.  Our expectations weren’t met.  We had classic drink package.  We aren’t big drinkers. We were amazed at how many times we were told that something wasn’t available….Diet Coke, Canadian club, ginger ale.  Getting bar service was also a challenge.  Food in MDR was good. Prime rib twice was excellent. Now I am reading about the 2023 changes.  It doesn’t sit well.  

• Like 2