Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

It is quick good read.

1. Demand way up.

2. Occupancy way up.

3. Prices increasing faster than in the past.

4. No expectations of demand going down in the foreseeable future.

I found it interesting that the goal of the cruise lines is to decrease the differential prices between cruises and land vacations. One of the draw points for me to go cruising is that I have seen it be a good deal compared to other vacations.

There will come a point when the values of the vacations are equal. How will this affect demand? Time will tell.

Agreed. I do more land vacations than cruise vacations, but the low cost of cruising has always been one of my top 3 selling points about taking cruises. 

If they make the price of a cruise the same as a land vacation, they'll have removed 1 of my reasons for cruising. I'll still cruise though 😂.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:30 PM, baelor said:

Pretty much everywhere--London, Paris, Rome, Naples, Florence, Athens, Nafpoli, Lisbon, Coimbre, Porto, Madrid, etc.

To pick Portugal as an example, for a 10-day trip, lodging was less than EUR 1000 (most expensive was full apartment in Lisbon, 100/night), walking tours/museums were 0-20 per day, food was 20-40 per day (almost nothing for breakfast given how cheap pastries are), etc.  

One lunch was 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 glasses of wine for EUR 40 total.

The most expensive day trip was around 100 (tour of the Douro Valley).

Maybe you are not used to traveling in Europe?

What a joke. 

On 2/10/2023 at 12:29 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

I guess my thought was that although I don't look for the cheapest thing, I wasn't spending outrageously either. Food was probably the biggest splurge. I stayed in a middle of the road hotel. And we went to all the major sites (the Louvre, Versailles, Eiffel Tower etc). I certainly could have cut about $300/day from that budget, but we still would have been at $600/day. There's no way I could have done a trip to Paris for $250/day, and I can't imagine the type of hostel or Airbnb I would have had to stay in to do so. I also don't want to starve myself by eating only croissants for my meals. 

I understand that 2 single men can probably rough-it and get through Europe in a shoestring budget, but I highly doubt most people would want to duplicate that type of trip with their families and children. 

I am not sure what you mean.  Our Airbnb was a full apartment, in-unit washer/dryer, full kitchen, AC, with included wine and two separate bedrooms.  It was within walking distance of everything downtown.  It cost around USD 100 per night, total.  Parisian Airbnbs will be slightly more expensive but not anywhere near USD 400 per night, total, unless you choose to go that high.

We ate out all our meals and had multiple courses for lunch and dinner every night, including wine.  Breakfast was exactly what most locals ate.  I am not sure why a croissant or pain au chocolate or brioche or buttered baguette is somehow inadequate; it's literally the standard breakfast my family and all my friends' families had when I grew up there.

I was never a rough-it person; your suggestion otherwise is bizarre.

Maybe you are not very good at research and just fall into tourist traps?

We just returned from 1 weekWonder of the Seas. We are diamond members. Staff throughout was great with the exception of room service ( ordered breakfast for two arrived 45 minutes late for 1 person) Was never able to contact them by phone.

no water in cabin (ocean view balcony) unless you pay by bottle.

Food was biggest disappointment, MDR no longer has the great breakfast buffet, dinner one night was prime rib which could cut with steak knife but not chew. Waiter advised not to order filet which was three thin slices. Lots of chicken - baked, fried, buttered, curry and a truly terrible chicken parm with pasta. No lamb chops or pork chops. 

Stopped going to windjammer after 3rd day very crowded food poor quality most lined up for hotdogs and hamburgers. On port days all other restaurants closed as is half of windjammer 

Solarium was Ok but so crowded.

Just not our cruise line anymore. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sojourner02 said:

We just returned from 1 weekWonder of the Seas. We are diamond members. Staff throughout was great with the exception of room service ( ordered breakfast for two arrived 45 minutes late for 1 person) Was never able to contact them by phone.

Food was biggest disappointment, MDR no longer has the great breakfast buffet, dinner one night was prime rib which could cut with steak knife but not chew. Waiter advised not to order filet which was three thin slices. Lots of chicken - baked, fried, buttered, curry and a truly terrible chicken parm with pasta. No lamb chops or pork chops. 

Stopped going to windjammer after 3rd day very crowded food poor quality most lined up for hotdogs and hamburgers. On port days all other restaurants closed as is half of windjammer 

Being one cruise away from Diamond Plus; this is sad news, it took so long to get here!

7 hours ago, Sojourner02 said:

You must have missed Caribbean night.

Royal Caribbean's New Dinner Menu 3

• Like 1

The OP's original question: "Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?"

I went on 20 cruises over the years only with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  I would only sail on either two lines. I sailed twice in 2022 on Royal Caribbean, including my most expensive per night cruise ever.  The quality just wasn't there in the food at all and overall experience, so while Royal and Celebrity are still of high, but qualified interest, I am now open to going elsewhere, particularly after I read about the further cuts on these boards.  If the caliber of the cruise experience has dropped, why not be open to other lines?

• Like 2

I am not surprised by the diminishing quality. Every year, more and more corners are cut in the endless pursuit to maximize profits (lately, to make up from lost ground due to Covid).

RCCL is publicly traded company, whereby the CEO's number one priority is to deliver profits (above customers and employees). Order of priority is: Profits, Customers, Employees.

The trick: How do you maximize profits without eroding demand?

Easy. You keep raising your prices and continue cutting corners until finally people stop buying your product. Once people stop buying your product, you stop raising your prices and you stop cutting corners. Business 101.

But best part of it all, we are all free to choose! It's called free market capitalism and it's wonderful thing! We get to vote with our wallets! I love it!

Thanks! 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mramella said:

I am not surprised by the diminishing quality. Every year, more and more corners are cut in the endless pursuit to maximize profits (lately, to make up from lost ground due to Covid).

RCCL is publicly traded company, whereby the CEO's number one priority is to deliver profits (above customers and employees). Order of priority is: Profits, Customers, Employees.

The trick: How do you maximize profits without eroding demand?

Easy. You keep raising your prices and continue cutting corners until finally people stop buying your product. Once people stop buying your product, you stop raising your prices and you stop cutting corners. Business 101.

But best part of it all, we are all free to choose! It's called free market capitalism and it's wonderful thing! We get to vote with our wallets! I love it!

Thanks! 

This is the truthful, ugly quote, of Business 101: higher demand= higher prices until demand goes down.

You state the "Good (high demand for cruise lines), the Bad (higher prices due to demand), and the Ugly (prices will not decrease until demand decrease)."

Absolutely no opposite opinion from me upon the economic logic.

I will evaluate my next three cruises this year and go from there.

This line is the consumer way, "It is the way." (Mandalorian)

"We get to vote with our wallets! I love it!" @mramella

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Confused what you mean by this. Surely there was water coming out of the faucets. Did you expect them to give you free bottles of water?

I saw that but was equally confused  by no more great breakfast buffets in the Mdr. 

Could  this cruiser hasnt cruised in a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mramella said:

Thanks! 

True, but with cruises, many parts of the globe only have non refundable deals and some people make multiple bookings with high deposits.  I guess if things get too bad then folk will have to make the decision to walk away from the deposits and not throw good money after bad. Last few years we've cruised other lines.

In May it will be our first since 2019 on Royal Caribbean. I'm looking forward to trying the new menus for myself

Maybe we'll go back to land trips...

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You must have missed Caribbean night.

Royal Caribbean's New Dinner Menu 3

Just off Anthem and the waiter would not recommend the Pork Chops.  Had them prior to the new menu and they were dry and chewy.  The Carne Assada on Mexican night was like shoe leather.

The lobster was a tad larger and IMO tasted just like the warm water ones.  Appetizers selections for Italian and British nights was a lot to be desired.  Next time on Italian night, I'll go to the WJ and make myself a plate of antipasto and bring it down to the MDR.🤣

However, the WJ on the Anthem for breakfast & lunch is very good.  Between the layout of the stations, plus the omelets and waffle stations for breakfast was a blessing as compared to the one on Oasis.  Also, for lunch, they have both pasta and stir fry stations.  The stir fry seemed to be very popular. The only downside was the lack of bananas on the first 3 days.  They must have gotten supply in Miami as there was plenty from that day on.

By the way, there were no chips of any kind to be had in both 2x70 (Park Cafe version) and at Coco Cay's Mexican buffet stations.  Was told by a sarcastic staff member to order the chips via room service.  I almost bit my tongue.

Another casualty was the elimination of the small antipasti station available at Sorrento's.  Gone is the enjoyment of the olives salad with a slice of pizza.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I guess if things get too bad then folk will have to make the decision to walk away from the deposits and not throw good money after bad.

I can place a $200 deposit on a cruise that I think is interesting on Next Cruise. If the original price is too high but close to my budget, I can hope for a price decrease during the following year. If not, I would do exactly what you stated and just walk away from a $200 loss and call it a day. To change a cruise is going to cost me $200 (two persons) anyway. When cruising starts to cost over $2000 (not including gratuities, parking, drink packages, shore excursions, private island bungalows,  and dining packages) minimum for two people in GTY interior cabins, $200 is only 10% compared to 'throwing good money after bad'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I can place a $200 deposit on a cruise that I think is interesting on Next Cruise. If the original price is too high but close to my budget, I can hope for a price decrease during the following year. If not, I would do exactly what you stated and just walk away from a $200 loss and call it a day. To change a cruise is going to cost me $200 (two persons) anyway. When cruising starts to cost over $2000 (not including gratuities, parking, drink packages, shore excursions, private island bungalows,  and dining packages) minimum for two people in GTY interior cabins, $200 is only 10% compared to 'throwing good money after bad'.

I must be cheap but I wouldnt willingly walk away from a $200 deposit. If I wasnt ok with the price, I wouldn't book at all. .. but I dont book thru next cruise either. I'm doing refundable group rates. I have a few I didn't like the price of but went to sail with friends. I guess I'm too cheap to book nonrefundable and hope the price comes down. Everyone here books different for sure. 

My bella cruise coming up march 12 prices imo were crazy but we all had been talking. Inside cheapest balcony was over $2300 with fees but did come way down. Dec 2024 friends willing to fly in so I'm willing to pay more than I'd prefer just to cruise with them. We all cruise for different reasons. I'd pay more to cruise with friends. Have some huge deals too. Sept 2023 b2b allure irresistible price. I'll take 2. But now I'm thinking of moving to Florida all the sudden, so I'm waiting on any more booking, but not just because I dont like prices. I dread moving so much work. 

• Like 2

I have stayed loyal to royal and really love the oasis class ships. However I am starting to look at other cruise lines. One is for a variety of ports. I am not sure how many more times I care to go to St. Thomas or San Juan. Second I would like to at least experience Carnival Mardi Gras or Celebration to compare to an Oasis ship and try Shaq's chicken or Guy's burgers or BBQ. Some of the prices are getting a little high for my taste where I can try something new and save some money. I was just on OASIS a couple of weeks ago and the food was noticeably worse. I still found things to eat that were good but did notice a change. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, md80fan said:

I have stayed loyal to royal and really love the oasis class ships. However I am starting to look at other cruise lines. One is for a variety of ports. I am not sure how many more times I care to go to St. Thomas or San Juan. Second I would like to at least experience Carnival Mardi Gras or Celebration to compare to an Oasis ship and try Shaq's chicken or Guy's burgers or BBQ. Some of the prices are getting a little high for my taste where I can try something new and save some money. I was just on OASIS a couple of weeks ago and the food was noticeably worse. I still found things to eat that were good but did notice a change. 

Jubilee will be coming to Galveston after its built. I guess depends where you live which one to try. Several pay restaurants are free on mardi gras, they didnt make the Mdr large enough. Some nice new pay choices too. I love the lobster rolls in the fish place, with butter. Not mayo. Enough for a smaller meal. 2 small lobster rolls with fries I think now around $18. Emerils is new. Louisiana.  

Ncl prima on my list too if the price comes down. I haven't been especially loyal to royal. I got tired of knowing the Mdr menu by heart. Last year I was loyal, pushed to dp340 solo discount, but havent been in the past. 

Have the prices of hotels and air bnbs not gone up as well? I’ve noticed they have. As have restaurants. I don’t really think people are going to find cheaper options if you don’t cruise. Travel is expensive. I travel for the itinerary anyways and am less concerned about mdr changes.

Edited by latebuyer
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Have the prices of hotels and air bnbs not gone up as well? I’ve noticed they have. As have restaurants.

All these extra travel expenses have gone up as well but I've found Royal's in some cases are crazy.  Not changing lines but canceling instead in favor of land destinations.