Not to pile on, but it’s bad…

buckeye8810

I am really hopeful that the staffing levels will return to something like normal. 

Excellent service requires appropriate staffing levels. To me, excellent service (and what I've come to expect on cruise vacations) means not having to ask for things like water refills, etc., having servers who are attentive to where you are in your meal timing, who offer coffee without being asked. Truly excellent service means the customers' needs are being anticipated and addressed.

With appropriate staff levels, small issues can easily be resolved. If a dish isn't to your liking, and the server is checking on your table, and not racing around to serve too many tables, it's no big deal. You let them know, they offer options, you choose one and have the replacement very quickly.

Compare that with getting a bad dish, and not seeing your server for 10 minutes while the rest of your party is eating. Insufficient staff exacerbates all the other issues, and can turn a forgettable minor glitch into something that really impacts the cruise experience.

If they start spending money again, I hope staffing is first on the list (I know the staffing issues aren't necessarily related to cost, but using corporate resources to address the staffing problems should be a top priority, IMO).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would not cancel a cruise due to OP complaints on Cruisecritic as we all have different expectations of service, food and entertainment.  Our recent cruises on the Apex and Edge were enjoyable.  The entertainment, our room steward, ship's condition and ambiance were excellent.   The MDR service was good it was the food selection and quality that was lacking.  In the OC, we found that we needed to secure a table before we got our food to have a place to sit.  We also found on the Edge that the table drink service was so slow that we would stop at the entrance bar to get our drinks to have them with our meal.  In the Edge MDR, we were encouraged to share a table if we wished to sit near the window or be placed at one of those banquet tables, inches away from the next couple.  I can understand this policy when the MDR is crowded at dinner.  It is unacceptable when few tables are taken during the breakfast service.   As enjoyable as many aspects of our Celebrity cruises were, the negatives were there.  On the very next day after we returned home, we booked another cruise...our first on Oceania.   

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I understand differing opinions on things like MDR food quality and portions and variety since Jan.1 this year.  Seems to be a real thing right now.  And documented cutbacks in the OVC dinner selections for sure.

But I did cruise (on Equinox) Jan 21-30.  It was an excellent cruise.  Not just because I was in a suite but some here will say that.  But we were in many non-suite situations on board so I will comment on that.   Many folks here saying that the ships have reduced staff - but how is that opinion documented?  Is it a feeling?  Even if you have not cruised yet this year?    OK  we occasionally waited in line for drinks at the Martini Bar in early evening - quite normal .  On our cruise there was plenty of staff at Cafe al Bacio, every other bar, specialty restaurants, Guest Services, Shore Excursions, etc.  In fact the OCV in the morning and lunchtime had plenty of staff bussing tables, serving coffee, and managing the buffet items. The theatre had staff serving drinks without issue. There were plenty of staff cleaning every public area around the ship constantly.  The restrooms were almost always staffed (at mealtimes) and very clean.  I did not at all notice a dramatic lack of general staff on our cruise.  And I had my eyes open and ready to see it from reading all the comments here.   Is this reporting my experience? - or because it doesn't fit the negative narrative will it be called cheerleading?

Just off Beyond which was my first experience on a sold out sailing since 2019. I think I've sailed Celebrity now 6 times since the post-covid restart. My experience was much the same as yours. The areas that were congested with lines (rather - those that can recognize a line and didn't walk up and shout orders but that's another topic), was the same as always. Cafe al Bacio moved very quick. The buffet was a zoo like usual but emptied tables were cleared very quickly. Martini Bar was busy but seemed to move faster than my last experience on Reflection. Pool Bar was normal. Additional help was brought in at bars during really busy periods. Guest Services almost always had every station staffed. There was just no noticeable reduction in staff. I did not overhear much complaining on board at all, aside from the usual. 

There is a big difference in validity and perspective to these horror stories that unfortunately scare people off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There is a big difference in validity and perspective to these horror stories that unfortunately scare people off. 

Couldn't agree more.  Perspective/perception is one's reality, though.  As you can see from the comments here in this small sample, people are usually not swayed from their perception based on the perception of others.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dock said:

Don’t mean to be a  pessimist but referencing an emergency if needed to evacuate the ship. 
We have a few kids in our group so the parents are a bit anxious reading the comments about staffing issues .

In the past 50 years of cruising can you name 3 times that has happened?

Or to put it another way, what's the ratio of plane crashes to cruise ship disasters?

Or what about cars?

Lots of things in this world.to worry about, but having to get into lifeboats should be so far down on your radar as to be non existent 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

All of the suite posters seem to be happy with Celebrity,  others not so much.

This also extends to E class as well.

The message of sail in a suite is not for everyone.

One could only imagine that X would not short staff luminae or other suite venues.

The biggest contributing factor for service, food, cabin from these posts is DID YOU SAIL IN A SUITE ....

Suite cruisers did not really have many cutbacks.

You can see my comment above... currently on Apex...NOT in a suite...and having a great time. Staff is plentiful and attentive.

I wish the food was terrible because then I wouldn't be gaining so much weight.

The only negative I have to say is the bartenders at the martini bar sit and flip bottles instead of serving people causing huge waits. But, that being said, I know that is their schtick, so I kind of have to accept it. There are plenty of other bars onboard if I'm that thirsty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

You can see my comment above... currently on Apex...NOT in a suite...and having a great time. Staff is plentiful and attentive.

I wish the food was terrible because then I wouldn't be gaining so much weight.

The only negative I have to say is the bartenders at the martini bar sit and flip bottles instead of serving people causing huge waits. But, that being said, I know that is their schtick, so I kind of have to accept it. There are plenty of other bars onboard if I'm that thirsty.

Looking forward to our March Apex cruise in our DPV stateroom. First time on an E class ship. 

• Like 2

We cruised on the Celebrity Infinity, a 21 year old ship in July of 2022, and the Apex in Dec in 2022.  Everything was outstanding and the food was great.  The surprise was that the buffet in both ships was marvelous, perhaps even better than the four main dining rooms.    However, we never had a problem with the restaurants.  Service was excellent and food very good.

On the Apex, nobody was checking if guests were washing prior to entering the buffet.  And fewer mask which is a concern for us.  We take precautions when we feel necessary and are covid free.

• Like 2

To,"Gizmodog"  I hope your read this:

I hope you are as pleasantly surprised as we were on the Infinity last year.  I was concerned for the age of the ship and I learned a lesson.  ALL WAS PERFECT.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

All of the suite posters seem to be happy with Celebrity,  others not so much.

This also extends to E class as well.

The message of sail in a suite is not for everyone.

One could only imagine that X would not short staff luminae or other suite venues.

The biggest contributing factor for service, food, cabin from these posts is DID YOU SAIL IN A SUITE ....

Suite cruisers did not really have many cutbacks.

Did you actually read my post?  I admitted I was in a suite - but my post was about the staff and services in the non-suite areas that I encountered which are many and varied on any ship.

I was trying to be balanced.  I did not post about my suite experience.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manmachine said:

I am an old radio guy who worked with a lot of nightclubs.  Old trick:  $20.00 cover, then quarter beers all night.  Part of the old trick:  instead of the five bartenders needed on that night, use 1 or 2.

Celebrity:  

1.  sell everyone an ‘unlimited’ drink package for a high price.  Even higher for top shelf.  Add tips on top.

2.  Sell everyone on prepaying tips.

3.  Have available specialty dining packages.

Second part of Celebrity trick:

1.  Cut back the staff at the bars.  Stock the top shelf in only a few bars, with limited hours.  Claim worldwide labor shortage and encourage extra tipping over and above what was charged already for tips.  ‘Encourage’ means bribes in order to get a drink.  Celebrity makes $.

2.  See #1 above.  Also, divert lots of prepaid tips to folks who never, ever were tipped before.  Pocket $.

3.  Make available ‘free’ (prepaid) food much worse, especially at dinner (when specialties are open) so folks ‘upgrade’ to speciality in order to get the same quality they got included before.  Also, don’t allow packages to make reservations ahead of time so best specialty restaurants are sold out and package folks have to go to lower tier.  Pocket $.

Good post, agree with everything except #3…at least on the smaller ships. We tried to book Tuscan Grill on the second day on the ship and it was sold out for the entire 8 night cruise and we could only be on a waiting list.  Which leads me to believe the service issue is mostly a staffing issue and I hope it gets resolved and they get back to pre-COVID staffing. Because if they don’t plan on getting back to those service levels but plan on continuing their premium pricing…good luck with that with some many other options out there.  Customers aren’t stupid and, outside of the dedicated X people, they will struggle. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:11 AM, 4-2-N-8 said:

I woke again today. The sun does still shine. I am grateful.

In a recent sailing, ...

I can safely report that I had sheets on my bed, people enough to service what needed servicing, and sufficient food and drink at every turn.

Loved my first delve into Celebrity. Sure, it was on Beyond (and any line will likely always strive to put their best foot forward with their latest ship).

But, I entered eyes wide open with a view of the world exiting a pandemic, complete with massive supply chain and business interruptions.

Gripe all you want. I won't stop anyone.

Yet, my cruise was phenomenal. People were happy. Everywhere. Quality was superb. True, I did primarily stay around Retreat areas, but from what I saw, the rest of the ship looked great.

I did keep open eyes and mind as I walked around.

It was busy top deck on sea days, chair hogs, too. I saw people not wash hands (I'm a germophobe long before the pandemic). These aren't ship staff responsibilities to hound adults to be respectful and clean. That's an individual disrespectful behavior issue, and given what we've all been through, everyone should now know by heart.

I've consulted other cruise line forums on this site to compare gripes. I've got some history of my own on much smaller ships to compare, as well. everyone, everywhere is experiencing similar issues.

Settle down. Breathe deeply. We're in a whole new ballgame here.

Smile. Find grace in the kindness of those willing to be far from home serving those who (likely to many of them) are rich beyond belief.

Take solace that in our world such a luxury exists, and grant patience while enjoying how we all live within our new normal. 

Alas, the sky does yet look blue. I've seen it. It's true. And, it does not appear any lower from where I stand.

I'll be back on you again in August, Celebrity. You did great by me, my new friend.

Peace and love and all that jazz.

But you stayed in the Retreat, correct?  So it's a different experience then the OP had.

• Like 1

I think when reading these recent Celebrity reviews, either positive or negative, the onus is on me (us) to size up the reviewer first and foremost. Are they in an upper suite? Ignore the review. It's simply not representative of the overall experience. Are they vegetarians or people with dietary restrictions commenting on the food? I ignore it, it's not relevant to me. Are they travel professionals who make their living via cruise bookings? Vloggers just trying to be controversial? Chronic complainers? Chronic cheerleaders? Haven't actually sailed since before covid? Ignore them all.

I know who's commentary I value and who's I don't. Everyone should make their own list.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 11

I was on this Silhouette sailing as well.  I LOVE Celebrity.  I cruised 4 times in 2022, 3 of them with Celebrity.  I was just on the Equinox in November.  So I feel I can give a good unbiased comparison.  I was in and inside room on both cruises. 

The Silhouette sailing was .... disappointing.   We were 3 couples ALL who have sailed many times.  We did all have a good time because, it's a cruise, but there were some disappointing things.

The Silhouette at times was a hot mess.  I have over 36 cruises and not once have I ever had a cruise run out of towels.  Everyday... everywhere for hours.   There would be no pool towels ANYwhere including the solarium for hours.  They actually started giving us times when more towels would be available.  Near the end of the cruise they started adding the yellow beach towels to the towel rotation since it was 2 days at sea on the end and the beach towels weren't needed.

Most of the issues I will comment on seem to be a staffing issue.  The staff we did interact with were polite and hardworking, the problem, I think, was there was not enough of them.  I will list a few points I noticed

VERY little drink orders being taken, especially in the solarium after day 1.  

Dirty cups and food plates would stack up on the marble half wall in the solarium.  When staff went by they would clear it but staff rarely went by.

There was really only 1 girl working on cleaning and mopping water in the solarium and she did NOT stop.  She was constantly working, she needed help.

The Oceanview cafe was SO chaotic.  Never a chair anywhere.  We had to wait until someone left, stand at that table and wait until a staff member could get over to clean it, this often happens on a full ship but there was not enough staff to clean off tables so people were waiting alot.

Funny thing, my hubby LOVES feta and it was available for the first 5 days or so at the salad area, then disappeared.  They second last day, the lunch theme in the buffet was Greek:  salad, baklava, moussaka, etc but not ONE spec of feta anywhere.  Not on the greek salads or any of the greek food.  I guess they ran out early. lol  Just weird not to hold some back for the actual Greek theme. 

The dining room... ooohhh  the dining room, perhaps where the most evident lack of staffing was.  Our waiter and assistant tried SO hard but just couldn't keep up.  We had room temperature french onion soup, with the cheese on top not even grilled, we had escargots that were again barely room temperature.  I had a medium steak, that was raw and decided to give it another go on night and that night ordered medium and it was completely cooked.  We could never understand why the assistant would pour water and disappear leaving the waiter to literally run the rest of the meal.  Then we noticed she was near the railing above us (we were 6 pm set dining) and above was anytime and she was up there clearing and resetting tables.  Obviously they were short staffed and she was helping up there but that left us with barely any warm food at all.  We asked for extra butter 3 nights in a row since they only gave us 2 when we were 3 couples, we finally got it on the 4th night but promptly was forgotten again.  We did tell the server that the french onion soup was cold, very gently as we was trying really hard and we didn't want to overburden him.   On the meal where my steak was overcooked, I swear the potatoes came right out of the fridge.  It was odd that they weren't just luke warm but actually felt as if they were refrigerated.  So odd.

My party all drink wine, the sommelier was also running and often glasses were empty waiting for a refill.  He was wonderful just overworked.   I like cocktails with dinner, well good luck with that,  I waited over 30 minutes the first 2 nights to get one.  The 3rd night my sister asked the server to just put 2 of my cocktails at my place setting before we even got there so I would at least have a drink.  The next 2 nights, no cocktail, but he swears he put it there an someone must have taken them.  

I'm honestly not a complainer and did NOT complain about these things, just asked again or reminded the server but you can bet I filled out my questionairre with all these things.  I made sure to say that the staff were wonderful and trying really hard but it was a short staffing problem, not a poor staff problem.

Also another thing to note is dinner is now Very boring.  Nothing unusual or exiting at all.  2 salads and 2 soups most nights as starters, thats it.  Once there was a spring roll and once or twice one other thing.  But tuna poke, spinach turnover, beef carpaccio, among many other favorties are all gone.

Dinner choices (other than the every night things which remain the same)  A fish,  a chicken, a pork or beef (not usually both) and a vegetarian.  That's it, no prime rib, no ribs, no beef cheeks, lots of old favorites gone. 

So that's my comparison, there is actually alot more I could say but I will leave it at that.  Also just wanted to note that I did not have any of these complaints on the Equinox in November, not one, so I'm not just a complainer or want perfection.  Im just comparing the 2 cruises and they were complete opposites.  Our cruise in April on the Millennium was fantastic but I'm not using it to compare because there was only 800 people on board and it wouldn't be a fair comparison.  Our cruise in June to Bermuda on Summit was also good, just wasn't happy with all the pre cruise itinerary changes due to Bermuda testing but the onboard experience was good.  I love the smaller ships.

OHHHH and for one final piece of info.  I have since tested positive for Covid.  I managed to avoid it for almost 3 years and 4 cruises in 2022 and as of Friday I am positive.  My symptoms are fairly mild, a bad cold with sinus congestion and I think its already getting better.  There was ALOT of coughing near the end and almost no masks at the start and a bunch of people wearing them by the last day.

Will I sail Celebrity again?  YES, I have a few booked and hope things improve but we are also looking at other lines like RCCL since our Elite status is reciprocal and we will get 4 daily drinks and not have to buy a drink package.  One disappointing cruise hasn't put me off.  Happy Cruising ALL!!

Edited by doodlefan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

People are conflating staffing issues with the recent changes that X made this year. Staffing difficulties have been an industry wide problem since cruising restarted. It's completely hit or miss whether or not the sailing you are on may have a noticeable issue with service, but it's well documented that the industry is doing everything it can to fill out their staffing needs. This will get better in time and by all accounts has been steadily improving.

Unfortunately, cost saving strategies are the name of the game for all cruise lines in 2023. Considering what the industry has been through it is understandable and something we have to accept if we want the industry to survive. I'll judge for myself in July if any of these cutbacks significantly impact my enjoyment of my cruise on Summit. If so, I'll try to provide X with some constructive feedback, as I'm sure they don't want to alienate their customers. Complaining here may be fun, but letting X know your specific and detailed disappointments will ultimately be more beneficial for all of us.

• Thanks 2

Every cruise, even two parts of a B2B on the same ship are different so that one experience on one ship may not be the general rule. With that said, there is no doubt that there have been reductions in service and quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cruise for many other reasons rather than food/drinks, so I guess that works in our favor.  Also, we prefer suites, so really overpay for what we use.  Having said that, we do enjoy our cabin/balcony/gym/ports in Europe.  Our TA/b2b has a suite, and then an SV that we may or may not do a Move-up.  We all have choices to make about what is and what is not acceptable to us.  These are different times and for many change is not easy the older we get, not to mention how things have changed over the last few years.  So, the issue becomes your opportunity cost to cruise, or find another venue that makes you happier.  Evaluating reviews that others have made does make a difference when you hear the same things about the same ship over and over again, but to what extent is up to you.  

Not the same topic, but the changes in education have been extraordinary.  I return home more exhausted, and desperately trying to plug up all the leaks that continuously flow.  This is far from an easy task and will not improve for quite some time, IMHO; however, this alone makes a cruise sound wonderful...perception/comparison.  It is not just cruising, but yes, it depends on your perception of what works best for you when planning a vacation.  Life is short, so enjoy!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, doodlefan said:

it was a short staffing problem, not a poor staff problem.

Based on what you've written, it sounds like this is true for the most part, but it also sounds like you had a very, very poor waiter. Thanks for your review and I hope you feel better.

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Based on what you've written, it sounds like this is true for the most part, but it also sounds like you had a very, very poor waiter. Thanks for your review and I hope you feel better.

Thanks

I think he was probably a good waiter but working without an assistant most of the time and serving 3 larger tables, he was doomed to failure.  There was no way he could do all the running, serving etc and have things hot.  He seemed very experienced and very apologetic when  we brought the cold soup to his attention.  Maybe it came from the kitchen that way, who knows.  He did seem to know his stuff, just was overworked.  But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt so I could be too lenient as well.  But the food offerings were a big issue too.  Definitely noticeable cutbacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1