sea sickness

Hottubmomma

I tried the patch once and had horrible side effects with constant dry mouth.  I buy a bottle of "Rugby Travel Sickness, 100 Tablets" for less than $8 which is more than enough for my family even when we start a few days before.  Never had an issue with them, but also have had a green apple on hand just in case.

13 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We feel Bonine is the best. And it doesn’t make you sleepy like Dramamine. CVS or any over the counter pharmacy. 

Another vote for Bonine.  Never had an issue with sea sickness in the Caribbean but did once in Alaska.

• Like 1

We completed our first cruise in December to the Caribbean and I was petrified of sea sickness. In Canada, we are not able to get the scopolamine patches unfortunately, and the only over the counter anti nausea meds is Gravol/Dramamine which make so so sleepy.  I had my husband pick up Bonine/meclizine in the US when he was traveling earlier in the year for work (which we can't get in Canada either sadly, but it's over the counter in the US) and I took that the day before boarding, and all through the cruise. I had 1 night I felt sick (didn't vomit) but it came on suddenly late in the evening so I just took Gravol and my sleeping pill and by the morning I was fine.   

For an all natural remedy I use Motioneaze. Someone on a cruise years ago let me use some when I was sick and it works very well for me. 

I get terrible motion sickness, even floating on a raft in a pool can trigger it. I keep this with me all the time even at home. 

505F9796-049B-44B5-AD3B-1A41592A6AB4.thumb.png.bb8a77595b500a8241259aca3b6114f3.png

Edited by styles27

Years ago a bought a Reliefband for a friend of mine who was going thru chemo. The effects were immediate, overall it worked very well. In the past few years I bought my wife and I pair. I'm a long time boater who never had an issue with motion sickness on my boat. On cruise ships its happened a few times. They are a little pricy but work very well

https://amzn.to/3E3hs0k

• Like 1

I get carsick and was really worried the first time I cruised. I take generic chewable Bonine. I buy it on Amazon. I start taking one the night before I get on the ship and then one every morning and evening. As long as I keep taking them I’m good. If I forget once I feel sick and can’t get back to feeling good until I can get off in port. It has worked for me in really rough seas. We were on the Dawn several years ago and I don’t remember how high the waves were but it was bad enough that people were getting sick in public places. I will never forget the lady sitting on the side of the pool holding a puke bag. So gross. Anyway I was fine. Couldn’t believe it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, complawyer said:

take along some ginger candy or ginger gum. also if you feel it coming on, ask for some green apples slices and some ginger ale. works like a charm. there are also wrist bands you can get at your local pharmacy

This is what my DW takes in case of rough seas:  Gin Gin chews and the pressure wrist bands.  She'll also drink some ginger beer (non-alcoholic) or ginger ale.  For smaller boats like a catamaran, she'll take sometimes Bonine also.

50+ cruises on Celebrity, NCL, Princess,RCCL, Oceania and Regent. Sick twice. Once in the Bay off Bordeaux France on the old Pacific  Princess and once sailing in the Black Sea. Half the ship was sick including the crew. Bonine really helped. ( it was a 650 small Oceania ship). No problems on the bigger newer ships because of the stabilizers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

50+ cruises on Celebrity, NCL, Princess,RCCL, Oceania and Regent. Sick twice. Once in the Bay off Bordeaux France on the old Pacific  Princess and once sailing in the Black Sea. Half the ship was sick including the crew. Bonine really helped. ( it was a 650 small Oceania ship). No problems on the bigger newer ships because of the stabilizers

All ships have stabilizers even the smaller ones. One buddies father has a 55ft boat that has them

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

take along some ginger candy or ginger gum. also if you feel it coming on, ask for some green apples slices and some ginger ale. works like a charm. there are also wrist bands you can get at your local pharmacy

If you look at non drowsy Dramamine, it is ginger extract. See bring a bag of sweet (not spicy) candies ginger from Trader Joe’s. 

• Like 1