Suggested Miami Pre Cruse Hotel

mauibabes

In October a bunch of friends are getting together to sail on Vista and would like to arrive a day early so as to minimize the travel day impact. We are Marriott members but would appreciate any recommendations that could put us near the Cruise Terminal and make our Embarkation easier. 
Don’t need 5 Star nor Bargain Basement, clean with good beds and safe area are musts. 
Thanks, Mauibabes

Marriott has options at Doral Country Club. Easy access from the airport. Lots of dining options. Great property to just stretch your legs and walk around or take a swim. 

They’ll give you a late check out option so one can enjoy the morning, miss Boardamania, schedule a van for the entire group for an under 30 minute arrival at the ship.

We used them a couple years back before a departing on a dive trip. Everyone was very satisfied as arrivals from around the country came in on multiple schedules.

Edited by pinotlover

The Marriott Biscayne Bay was easy and convenient when we did it in December.  (And there was a Publix within walking distance if you want  to pick up some wine to have in your cabin.) It was a quick Uber to the port, too.

• Like 1

I stayed at the Yves in Miami last month.  It was clean, safe, moderately priced for downtown Miami and is literally a five minute drive from Terminal J.  There is a CVS open 24 hours next door if you need any last minute health or beauty items and a number of dining options in walking distance.  

Edited by shepherd really

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

In October a bunch of friends are getting together to sail on Vista and would like to arrive a day early so as to minimize the travel day impact. We are Marriott members but would appreciate any recommendations that could put us near the Cruise Terminal and make our Embarkation easier. 
Don’t need 5 Star nor Bargain Basement, clean with good beds and safe area are musts. 
Thanks, Mauibabes

Look no further…

choose the Intercontinental Miami. Perfect location - 5 minute taxi ride from the ship (you can see from your hotel window. 
Great Italian restaurant around the corner. Supermarket w/wine is a two block walk.

Hotel price (unless there’s a major convention) will run about $200/night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We always stay at the Intercontinental.

It is across from Bayfront Park with lots of places to shop and eat and things to do.

It is also across the street from the MetroMover, the free above ground rail transit.

Many other things within walking distance and a $12 ride to the port.

Hi1 

We always stay at the Intercontinental which is a quick ride to the cruise terminal. Ole is a great breakfast place at the hotel and Il Gabbiano is around the corner which has fantastic Italian food.

However, this March, the hotel was sold out for the dates we needed. So we are staying at the JW Marriott on Brickell. We already have the Intercontinental booked for next Jan.

Rhea

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Look no further…

choose the Intercontinental Miami. Perfect location - 5 minute taxi ride from the ship (you can see from your hotel window. 
Great Italian restaurant around the corner. Supermarket w/wine is a two block walk.

Hotel price (unless there’s a major convention) will run about $200/night.

Make sure you ask for a room overlooking the cruise ships!  And ask for a higher floor.  The lowest won't have as good a view.

Especially if one arrives a day or two early (always recommended, at least one day early!), it's fun to watch the ships arrive and depart, and turn around.

The Oceania ship will probably be docked at J, which is on the closer side of Dodge Island.  The larger ships will be on the other side of the island.

It can be quite a sight. 🙂

GC

1 hour ago, rheasue38 said:

Hi1 

We always stay at the Intercontinental which is a quick ride to the cruise terminal. Ole is a great breakfast place at the hotel and Il Gabbiano is around the corner which has fantastic Italian food.

However, this March, the hotel was sold out for the dates we needed. So we are staying at the JW Marriott on Brickell. We already have the Intercontinental booked for next Jan.

Rhea

Does the Intercontinental have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? Thanks!!

I'll also be arriving a day early in Miami to board the Vista in October. I hope to find a room with easy access from airport and to cruise port. More at the economical end of the price scale. Need to do a little research and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Probably won't be thinking about it though until I return from my Saga cruises in June. 😄

We also did Marriott Biscayne Bay prior to a cruise several years ago. It was Oceania’s pre-cruise hotel, charging several hundred $ more than we paid by booking on our own. Good lounge/breakfast which will be included at your level. Quick & inexpensive cab ride to the ship.

10 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

I'll also be arriving a day early in Miami to board the Vista in October. I hope to find a room with easy access from airport and to cruise port. More at the economical end of the price scale. Need to do a little research and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Probably won't be thinking about it though until I return from my Saga cruises in June. 😄

We like the Hampton inn in Brickell

Taxi to the hotel  they did have a shuttle  to the cruise port  for  a fee  you need to sign up at the hotel

Airport  hotels  have a shuttle to the hotel then a shuttle to the port  for a fee

We stayed in The Hyatt Centric in Bricknell in Jan this year , hotel ok, it was clean , Bricknell is very safe , there are great restaurants and bakeries  for all tastes and pockets , a fabulous Mall , you can walk along the estuary day and night.

22 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Thanks, Mauibabes

I know you said no 5-star, but every once in a blue moon, the Intercontinental at the port offers a good deal.  It doesn't hurt to check.  Fingers crossed for you!

16 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

We found the airport hotels to be more cost effective than near the cruise port, but we only require clean, quiet, and comfortable beds. Be careful though as there are serious duds (reviews are your friend). In our younger, adventurous days we mostly used free shuttles or public transport, but we've  started using private transport more; however, they do exist in Miami if that is your preference. The taxis in Miami are price-regulated (e.g., fixed price from airport-area to cruise port), and (we thought) reasonably priced; the "free shuttle" from airport to hotel was infrequent so I'd use a taxi next time (if there is a next time...the Miami airport was horrid). Many airport hotels also have cruise transport vans that are slightly less (assuming 2 pax) than a taxi but less convenient.

Thank you everyone for your input.  A few comments, Marriott Biscayne sounds fine, especially since they owe me a free night. We do not know Miami at all so we were not sure about which hotels might offer a decent location. We will barely be there 12-14 hours depending on our flights since we can not fly direct from our area.
We agree on the taxi, it’s OK and not necessarily overpriced.  We have used a private limo service years ago but it will all depend on how many of us, friends and family are traveling, will need a ride at the same time.  Lots of time to work on this. 
We have not been fans of Miami airport but we will do what we must do, suck it up 🤪

Flying is NOT fun, jammed flights and limited numbers for options, and if that is not bad enough, we can add in TSA screening. 😇

Again, thanks and I will “drop the mic”. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

We use Marriott points and did stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay in 2022.  I wasn't that thrilled with the hotel's restaurant choices.  We did get upgraded to a higher room category and could see the cruise ships through our window.  This time, It looks like we will be staying at the newly renovated Marriott Marquis.