Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

57 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, never really needed it.  I have international plan if I want to use it...pretty good deal with AT&T.  If you do use it, it's 10.00 a day...only for the day you actually use it.  

May do WIFI calling on our WC, and the new itineraries I have booked around the globe beyond that.  I can use AT&T in Mexico and Canada, with no added fees.  

Using email only, I booked Australia circumnavigation with Viking yesterday.  I do email way more than actual phone calls.  

Theoretically T-Mobile has worldwide calling and data as part of their Magenta Max plan. So far it's worked flawlessly in Caribbean.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I know some like to  disconnect  when cruising - but we couldn't cruise so often without technology and especially WIFI calling. ( many family/professional obligations to look after, especially on a cruise with lots of sea days)   I felt like my world connectivity  opened when it was explained to me. 

M

You need to be careful though, twice now Laura has come home with $400 phone bills because the wifi calling wasn't turned on😱

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Right - may I assume that suite guests generally make more dirt than the other cabin classes?

Maybe according to RC. 😁 Not those I know that stay in suites. 

Edited by davekathy

14 hours ago, resetjet said:

You note so many issues. 2 cleanings can never equal 1.  They are overworked and getting the rooms done in the evening is sketchy.  Miss your one service as we did and by the time he comes the next evening your ice is melted,  glasses are used,  dishes line the cabin,  towels are dirty and trash is full. 

I still don't understand how towels get dirty... especially in a day.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Theoretically T-Mobile has worldwide calling and data as part of their Magenta Max plan. So far it's worked flawlessly in Caribbean.

It’s also worked in anywhere we were in Europe and the Arctic. We were just in Panama and didn’t get a signal there, but that was a first for us of no service.  We love TMobile for this perk!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I agree…usually….. but we were just on Serenade and when we showered, it flooded the bathroom floor even though the shower doors were closed.  We had to use a towel just for the floor each time.
I didn’t tell guest services, just dirtied towels each day 😁

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree…usually….. but we were just on Serenade and when we showered, it flooded the bathroom floor even though the shower doors were closed.  We had to use a towel just for the floor each time.
I didn’t tell guest services, just dirtied towels each day 😁

Nah... those towels are clean, just wet. 🤪

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, there is a mix of psychology and science involved.  I'm one that hates using a towel twice, especially one that is not part of my own inventory at home.  I know exactly where a towel comes from, how it was washed, and when it was washed.  

The science:  (at least my knowledge of the science)  No household bath soap manufacturer can guarantee that it will kill and wash away all bacteria from your body during a shower.  So, if I wash my body, as usual, and then I dry my undercarriage, caboose, and underarms, have I just transferred some bacteria from my body to the towel I just used?  If I wake up at 6:00 AM, hang up the towel for use later in the day, and then at about 6:00 PM take my second shower of the day, the towel has had 12 hours for the bacteria (some not bad and some not so good) to multiply/spread on the towel?   Then, if I get up the next day before the attendant comes for the first and only cleaning of the day, there is a possibility of another 12 hours passing before refreshing the towel and another 12 hours of additional bacteria accumulating/growing/spreading/multiplying. 

Has anybody ever gotten sick or had any adverse reactions from using the same towel over and over again, within reason of course?  No, not that I can prove and I don't believe so.  And that is where the phycology of this comes in.  To me, it's just gross to use the same towel, especially one not in my home inventory.  That's why I'm going to ask the attendant to leave behind double the usual cabin inventory of towels each day.  This is my thing.  If they don't, I'll be calling to have more brought to my cabin in the evening.  Doesn't have to be anybody else's!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It’s also worked in anywhere we were in Europe and the Arctic. We were just in Panama and didn’t get a signal there, but that was a first for us of no service.  We love TMobile for this perk!

Basic T-Mobile sucked in Copenhagen 

Switched to Magenta after we got back

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, there is a mix of psychology and science involved.  I'm one that hates using a towel twice, especially one that is not part of my own inventory at home.  I know exactly where a towel comes from, how it was washed, and when it was washed.  

The science:  (at least my knowledge of the science)  No household bath soap manufacturer can guarantee that it will kill and wash away all bacteria from your body during a shower.  So, if I wash my body, as usual, and then I dry my undercarriage, caboose, and underarms, have I just transferred some bacteria from my body to the towel I just used?  If I wake up at 6:00 AM, hang up the towel for use later in the day, and then at about 6:00 PM take my second shower of the day, the towel has had 12 hours for the bacteria (some not bad and some not so good) to multiply/spread on the towel?   Then, if I get up the next day before the attendant comes for the first and only cleaning of the day, there is a possibility of another 12 hours passing before refreshing the towel and another 12 hours of additional bacteria accumulating/growing/spreading/multiplying. 

Has anybody ever gotten sick or had any adverse reactions from using the same towel over and over again, within reason of course?  No, not that I can prove and I don't believe so.  And that is where the phycology of this comes in.  To me, it's just gross to use the same towel, especially one not in my home inventory.  That's why I'm going to ask the attendant to leave behind double the usual cabin inventory of towels each day.  This is my thing.  If they don't, I'll be calling to have more brought to my cabin in the evening.  Doesn't have to be anybody else's!

Have you sent clothes out for laundry service on a ship?  They dry everything to throughly so that bacteria couldn’t live on the towels….😁

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'll agree that's a "you" problem. 🙂 

I have wondered if Amercians "fascination" with cleanliness (ie: wiping everything down) has had a negative impact in how bodies now react to viruses.  I've got nothing to back it up, just a little questioning of mine. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Have you sent clothes out for laundry service on a ship?  They dry everything to throughly so that bacteria couldn’t live on the towels….😁

Until you use it.  My comments have nothing with how clean or not the laundry does the laundry.  It's about after using a towel.  However, I actually do believe that if the ship's laundry does its job, the laundry comes out as clean and bacteria-free as is humanly possible, without using medical-grade chemicals, etc.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I have wondered if Amercians "fascination" with cleanliness (ie: wiping everything down) has had a negative impact in how bodies now react to viruses.  I've got nothing to back it up, just a little questioning of mine. 

Having spent 20+ years in the Army (active duty), I've spent weeks not even being able to take a shower and not having laundry service available.  I've used the same washcloth to wash with and the same towel to dry with while in the field.  My bathtub was a helmet, or river, or hose, and cold water (back in the day).  I'm no longer in the Army (retired) and don't have to live like that anymore and am not going to.  I pay good money to have a fresh towel available for every shower/bath.  I don't think it is too much to ask.  AND I don't believe I'm the only person that cruises that prefers to have a clean towel for their shower(s).  

It's not a problem, it's a desire, one that is easily taken care of.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not dirty, wet.  We shower usually twice a day. The towels dont dry well in the bathroom.  I guess i will have to bring a clothesline!!!!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

It's not a problem, it's a desire, one that is easily taken care of.

Sure.  Find a cruise line that has 2x service. 😅

31 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Not dirty, wet.  We shower usually twice a day. The towels dont dry well in the bathroom.  I guess i will have to bring a clothesline!!!!

That I can't argue with.

But I will continue to say... if you don't like what a company has to offer you, don't patronize that company.  That's the quickest way to get the point across.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. I feel much more comfortable knowing that family back home can reach me if they need to and they feel much more comfortable when I go away knowing that they can contact me if need be.

Isn't there an emergency contact number that a person could call to reach someone on a ship?

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sure.  Find a cruise line that has 2x service. 😅

That I can't argue with.

But I will continue to say... if you don't like what a company has to offer you, don't patronize that company.  That's the quickest way to get the point across.

When I booked the RCCL cruise the menus and policies of the dining room hadn’t changed, added fees for room service, crown & anchor benefits were higher, cabin cleaning service was 2 times a day, gratuities were lower.  It is like ordering a dress from a designer non-refundable and receiving a dress from some other low-quality store instead.  Not right, not fair.  

And cancellation would mean $ loss and disappointment of children in the family.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, poocher said:

Well I guess I will see for myself in May but it sounds like major first world problems to me.  I haven’t heard one issue I can’t handle myself. And I don’t mind doing so.  I don’t need to be waited on hand & foot.

You know, we are pretty easy going passengers, keep our room tidy and never make any requests as we don’t need any extras.  I can (and did😂) certainly make my own bed each day.  We even took care of the dirty glasses we had in the room.  I don’t need or want to be waited on hand and foot. I can live with once a day service, however, in over 70 cruises, I have never felt like I had to make plans based on when the steward wanted to do her job until this cruise.  And this is the first cruise since we resumed cruising in 2021 that we have experienced so many cutbacks at once.

I feel bad for the cabin stewards as their jobs just got much harder.  We will still tip extra.

Sherri🙂 

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Isn't there an emergency contact number that a person could call to reach someone on a ship?

I believe so though I forget the cost. For my parents, who are getting older, I prefer they are able to just call or text my cell number. I'm sure that they prefer it that way too. And if they just want to chat with me for a bit I'm good with it. God knows that is the least I can do for them.

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I believe so though I forget the cost. For my parents, who are getting older, I prefer they are able to just call or text my cell number. I'm sure that they prefer it that way too. And if they just want to chat with me for a bit I'm good with it. God knows that is the least I can do for them.

Some years ago, I was given this number for emergency.  888.721.7447

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

What's your point? This is happening. What category cabin you have?

Point is for those who inquired which ships have begun the new once-a-day service.🙂 Have a balcony this week, suite next week on Oasis. Attendant hasn't heard when the change is happening on this ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I have wondered if Americans' "fascination" with cleanliness (ie: wiping everything down) has had a negative impact in how bodies now react to viruses.  I've got nothing to back it up, just a little questioning of mine. 

we wipe the cabin down after boarding with lysol wipes, but we are fine with using the same towels all day and then some.