Check In and Uploading photo

JTBCruiser

Do you have to upload a photo to check in and print your boarding pass?  I elected to not upload and I'm unable to print my boarding pass.  The last time I sailed this wasn't required.  I know things have been changing lately, thx in advance.

19 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

Do you have to upload a photo to check in and print your boarding pass?  I elected to not upload and I'm unable to print my boarding pass.  The last time I sailed this wasn't required.  I know things have been changing lately, thx in advance.

No you do not.  They will take it at the pier

1 hour ago, JTBCruiser said:

You completed boarding pass when scanned has your photo pop up.  If you don't take your photo, than the boarding pass is not given.  

When you go to the pier, they scan your boarding pass, and if you have all "green flags?", you can go onto the ship.  If not, they will finish your pass (red flags?) and when you can board.  

Things change because this is the 21st century, and almost everyone has a phone, where you can take a selfie, by following the check in process on your phone.  

33 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

You completed boarding pass when scanned has your photo pop up.  If you don't take your photo, than the boarding pass is not given.  

When you go to the pier, they scan your boarding pass, and if you have all "green flags?", you can go onto the ship.  If not, they will finish your pass (red flags?) and when you can board.  

Things change because this is the 21st century, and almost everyone has a phone, where you can take a selfie, by following the check in process on your phone.  

Two cruises in last few months, never uploaded a photo. Boarding/set sail  pass and luggage tags print out as normal. Hand them our boarding pass at checkin and at that point they spend less than a minute to take a photo and lets us board. Wife does have all info on her phone but chooses to just hand them the last page of the set sail pass with the barcode. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

And I see there is a post about a number of people who cannot get their boarding passes, unrelated to photo.

Yeap…Iam one of them. I sail on Sunday and no matter what I do I cant get boarding pass to show in app or PC even though check in shows complete. I called Royal twice now and was told some people have issues due to glitch and IT is aware of problem. Been told by to go to port without pass. Scared they wont let me in 😳 Wish me luck.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No you do not.  They will take it at the pier

On a Serenade TA in 2019 I used Bella's pic for Patrick. They retook it😉🤣🤣

I almost used MB's corporate photo once for me to se what reaction it would get. Maybe for PC this summer.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I almost used MB's corporate photo once for me to se what reaction it would get. Maybe for PC this summer.

I did that a few years ago and the check in agent was about to let me on board until I said that's not me.

Biker, who is unlikely to pass for MB.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Agree with tag.  We've never taken photos, and we always get our boarding passes, including one a week or so ago.

We don't do the Health Screening until we get to the terminal, either.  We don't use the app.

No app here either, phone is going in the safe and I will turn it on when back in port.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I have uploaded photos in the past and, apparently, they did not meet RCI's standards so they took our photos at the pier. I no longer bother uploading them ahead of time, I just have them taken at the pier.

We've done it twice and they have been fine. Don't know what I'm doing right but I hope nothing changes.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Two cruises in last few months, never uploaded a photo. Boarding/set sail  pass and luggage tags print out as normal. Hand them our boarding pass at checkin and at that point they spend less than a minute to take a photo and lets us board. Wife does have all info on her phone but chooses to just hand them the last page of the set sail pass with the barcode. 

Yup. Havent had picture accepted yet, so print my Boarding Pass, check in and they take a new Picture

I understand you don't have to take your picture but for me it's part of the fun. I like to plan and anything cruise related brings me a little bit of joy. So yeah, you don't have to do it but what does it hurt? Not a thing. And mine has actually been used in the past. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, shipgeeks said:

And another thing: Checkin process will include You must have the RC App".  But then there is a box that says "If you don't use the app, click here", which allows you to proceed without it, no problem.

I've never seen this checkbox before and I always use the website to check in.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, JTBCruiser said:

Sincerely appreciate all the feedback, it was very helpful.  Will try to upload photos but if it doesn't work, no big deal, will do at the port.  Smooth sailing to all.

When uploading the photo (from a pc) sometimes it helps to crop the photo first, or resize it smaller.  The online upload is finicky.

You can also take a selfie and use it if you check-in with the Royal app on your mobile phone.

I never print my setsail pass:  I either show it from the app on my phone, take a screen shot of it and save it to my phone's photos, or send it to my phone's Wallet.

The problem I've noticed, though, is when it's sent to the Wallet on my phone, the app seems to eliminate my C&A status.  That's why I've started using a screenshot. If your C&A status allows for priority boarding, you want that to show for easy access to the correct line.

We uploaded our pictures -- made an effort to do it right. 

They re-took the picture in the terminal anyway, so we decided not to bother again.  We suspect it was because they want us to look exactly like we did when we boarded (I get it -- that's a security issue).  We had both had haircuts just before boarding.