What does a butler do?

Heather White

We don't usually take a suite with a butler but the 3 times we had a butler we enjoyed his services.

Yes, they deliver late afternoon canapes to the cabin; we'd much rather have canapes and drinks later in the Observation Lounge with friends and the pianist. BUT our butlers:

• tracked down our dressy attire at the laundry and expedited it for a big event.
  • prepared a cocktail party for us (when we had an "Explorer" cabin) and 6 new friends. We had a great time; left with the guests; and, returned to a pristine cabin.
  • delivered a special late-night dessert to our grandson throughout a 15-day cruise.
  • had the ship's carpentry shop cut a board to specification for me.
  • routinely checked on availability of reservations for Prime7 restaurant.

Pretty anything you want them to do.

We will have a butler next year!  Not sure, what I will want him to do.  Could they get the canapés to be little hot dogs or pizza bagels or chicken wings instead of fruit and cheese and cubes of cold cuts? 

It would  be interesting to see how they unpack and store everything.  I may learn something! 

What did our Butler do?

On occasions when we have had a Butler--which has comprised about 1/5th of Radison/Regent cruises over the past 25 years--

As little, or much (within reason) as requested.  As Low Maintenance cruisers, have requested little.  The Butler has augmented, but not replaced or replicated Suite Attendant(s).  Butler coordinates with Attendants who perform the routine day-to-day procedures which have kept our Suite in top condition. 

Yes, as to expediting additional reservations in Specialty Restaurants.  NOTE: when in Suites not offering Butler service--our experience has been having no problem in obtaining same utilizing Reservations Desk, or Matre' de, or showing up at that other venue willing to share a table with others.  

No, as to serving us afternoon canapes, as noted earlier.  A waste of food.  On those few occasions which we did want canapes in Suites not-offering a Butler: a simple telephone call, and whatever we wanted--to include wine accompanied by canapes, arrived via Staff from the Kitchen at the time requested. Just had the courtesy to provide a 45-minute "window" for that service.

That aspect is one of many reasons as to why we cruise with Regent. 

Example of a Butler (and Suite Attendants) going above-and-beyond:  On a post-COVID Explorer cruise, just happened to mention to our Butler that our March 2020 Splendor cruise beginning in San Diego was canceled--while we were at Regent's designated San Diego hotel the day before anticipated boarding.

So-many other Regent alumni have had a similar experience. Ours was to have been on Splendor while celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary enroute to NYC, complete with Renewal of Vows ceremony with all the trimmings.  

Two nights later.  Returned to Penthouse following another delightful Compass Rose dinner.  There was our Butler, with Suite Attendants, at the door. They ushered us in--to a redecorated Suite.  Table set for Special 50th Wedding Anniversary Cake, compete with fine champagne.  Note from the Captain.  Bedroom redecorated.  Really special, unanticipated, and appreciated.

Result:  Commendations verbal and in writing followed to higher-echelon Regent Management.  

Most-recent (October, 2022) Mariner cruise utilizing a Butler:  No need for recreation of past (missed) events.  Just, consistent service.  Butler advised that, if needed, we would notify him.  No reason to do so.  

Just our experience(s).  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Spelling
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Butler, if you have one; room service if not. 
Both provide an excellent service in our experience.

Thank you. We're doing a Penthouse in April, we booked it mainly for the suite not necessarily for the Butler but looking forward to it nonetheless. We're low maintenance so we won't be making any excessive requests.😁

Aside from the usual canapés minibar stocking ….

Our did a great job of securing additional specialty dining reservations 

take room service order and special item requests will deliver coursed room service if desired.  

kept ice bucket stocked 

brought my wife ice tea in vero bottle and kept it stocked in minibar.  Brought Bloody Mary mix for the  room for am breakfast .  

delivered notes that needed signatures to the front desk.  

facilitated a special anniversary dinner at prime 7.  

arranged sewing of torn belt loop on pants.

deliver laundry and hang 

lots of little things but they added up to a very nice and pampered experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As noted the Butler will do just about anything you want, including unpacking and shining shoes.  We have only had 1 butler and we loved him. We, too, are low maintenance, but found it nice to have a single source for all questions and requests.  We did the canapés a few times and enjoyed them.  One day when he brought the canapes he asked if we were having a drink.  I said yes so he asked if he could get it for me (I drink bourbon on the rocks).  I said "that would be very nice, thank you," at which point my wife chimed in with "it's only bourbon poured in the glass, you can get that yourself."  🤣

One of the really nice uses was when we had back to back shore excursions.  We would have our butler place lunch in our cabin at a specific time so we could eat while we were changing for the second tour.   Saves a lot of time so we wouldn't have to rush lunch.  

Our last cruise, no butler.  We did miss him, but I will only book a Penthouse for cabin size, not the butler. But he/she sure is a nice perk to have.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Huggsy said:

Thank you. We're doing a Penthouse in April, we booked it mainly for the suite not necessarily for the Butler but looking forward to it nonetheless. We're low maintenance so we won't be making any excessive requests.😁

We've only had a butler on a few occasions, but one mistake we did make was to tell our butler that we were "low maintenance". We are, however we rarely saw or had communication with him after that comment. You may very well be low maintenance, but you don't need to  mention that at the beginning of your cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We've only had a butler on a few occasions, but one mistake we did make was to tell our butler that we were "low maintenance". We are, however we rarely saw or had communication with him after that comment. You may very well be low maintenance, but you don't need to  mention that at the beginning of your cruise.

Good to know - many thanks 👍😊 

As to eschewing advising the Butler as to being a "low maintenance cruiser" upon initial introduction--

Whether this would result in being a tactical "mistake" depends on that particular Butler.  This has remained our standard practice, as noted above.  Uniform response has been:  Let me know how/when I can be of service.  And, periodically during that cruise segment--incident to friendly exchanges of greetings in the hallway, the Butler's gentle reminder of availability.    

That has been our experience.  

As to how many Suites (Penthouses) a Butler covers--we have never asked.  Have noted our Butler waiting at doorway(s) of contiguous hallway guests two three down the line, or across the hallway, particularly during late afternoon canape' service time when awaiting entry to serve same. 

In any event:  No need to sit and pout should there be a need to request Butler service.  Be proactive.  A simple telephone call will prompt swift response. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Depending on the butler assigned, one might need to lower their expectations.  I typically only use the butler for breakfast room service and to make dinner reservations.  We've had butlers on three Regent cruises.  One butler's favorite word was "no", the next one promised to make dinner reservations for our group of 7 but never did, and the third one put in the minimum amount of work possible.  When I was exposed to butlers on a few other lines, I realized the difference in attitude/follow through.  I'm sure others will post about their wonderful butlers and I'm glad that they had a much better experience than I did.

• Like 1

We always book a Penthouse…. We enjoy the separate rooms and love a butler. I am high maintenance due to physical disability.
So…I have our butler pack and unpack for us. It’s so much easier for me rather than have to explain to DH where to put things. 

Our butler handles the laundry…twice during our cruise. 

And, he has any creased items pressed when we board ship. 
Her serves us breakfast in our suite or on the balcony. 
He brings snacks late afternoon. 
He helps arrange additional specialty restaurant reservations. 
We have been fortunate to enjoy the services of some fabulous butlers on our cruises. 
BTW, we do say …thanks so much …with a generous gratuity!

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, GOARMY said:

As to how many Suites (Penthouses) a Butler covers--we have never asked.  Have noted our Butler waiting at doorway(s) of contiguous hallway guests two three down the line, or across the hallway, particularly during late afternoon canape' service time when awaiting entry to serve same. 

GOARMY!

If I recall our butler said he handled 12 PH suites.  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:46 AM, Post it said:

Depending on the butler assigned, one might need to lower their expectations.  I typically only use the butler for breakfast room service and to make dinner reservations.  We've had butlers on three Regent cruises.  One butler's favorite word was "no", the next one promised to make dinner reservations for our group of 7 but never did, and the third one put in the minimum amount of work possible.  When I was exposed to butlers on a few other lines, I realized the difference in attitude/follow through.  I'm sure others will post about their wonderful butlers and I'm glad that they had a much better experience than I did.

I hope you filled out the butler survey and expressed your dismay.

13 hours ago, Post it said:

I prefer to commend people who have given superlative service. 

We all prefer to commend people for superlative service, and in general that's the service we've had on all our Regent cruises.  But when someone fails to live up to the standard of the job it needs to be dealt with. Either mention it directly to the person so he or she can correct the issues, failing that their supervisor, failing that put it on the survey.  That's sort of the point of the survey, to reward good and correct bad.  Only placing it on social media does nothing but create a bad impression of the cruise line with no way for the cruise line to respond or correct it. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Post it said:

I prefer to commend people who have given superlative service. 

Of course but as pappaF said the survey is there for corrective action as well.  The specifically have the butler electronic survey separate at the end of the cruise.  They also have the mid cruise review to fill out.  I get some folks don't like confrontation, so the survey is an easy way to do it.

• Like 3

There are 3 reasons why I didn't complain about the service issues:

1.  After having poor service with a 2nd and then a 3rd butler, I assumed the problem was endemic to Regent butlers (especially after having superior butlers on other lines).

2.  My major problem with the 3rd butler was the follow through for a surprise early milestone birthday celebration for my spouse.  I asked for dinner reservations, a cake at dinner, and the cabin decorated.  The restaurant did not have reservations, we never received the cake (even though a neighboring table received one), and the butler and cabin attendant were in the middle of putting up a banner and balloons as we walked in.  The night was already a disappointment and there was nothing to gain by complaining.

3.  I'm hesitant about complaining about the service with someone who has access to your cabin and may be disgruntled.  I did complain once to a hotel director on a different line about a cabin attendant and asked for a replacement.

59 minutes ago, Post it said:

3.  I'm hesitant about complaining about the service with someone who has access to your cabin and may be disgruntled.  I did complain once to a hotel director on a different line about a cabin attendant and asked for a replacement.

The survey can be submitted on the last day of the cruise.   If you don't complain then you might experience the same butler again who hasn't had additional training coaching from management.  If he/she doesn't meet the standards of regent, then he/she most likely will not have their contract renewed.    That is how the system works to weed out the bad eggs and reward the good ones.

Edited by Lonedaddy