I hope this Oceania CC site is indicative of the passenger makeup.

Nashna

I have been a member of Cruise Critic for many years.  I have used this site to obtain valuable information on our sailings and have been happy to offer my observations.  I have participated in Princess, HAL, Regent, Seabourne, MSC, and Celebrity Boards before and after sailing on those cruise lines.  My 61st cruise and first on Oceania will be on the Vista on January 31st, 2024.  Since we made our reservation, I have followed the Oceania Cruise Critic Board.  I have been very impressed by the Oceania posters on this site.  The quality of information, lack of snarkiness, and genuine interest in helping newbies like myself have been very welcoming.

I'm looking forward to cruising Oceania.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Sure you'll love your cruise. We love Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022).

Just make sure to study those with RECENT experiences with O. Seems like a lot has changed since COVID and the cruise lines restarted in late 2021. The experiences prior to that may not be quite like it is now and in the future.

• Thanks 2

even though it will be our 6th O cruise in the fall to Alaska, I still feel like a newby to O.

most here know that we are escapees from C after reaching mid level between elite plus and zenith....

I will leave my email here, always glad to hear from others ....

johthomas100z@gmail.com yes it is johthomas100z@gmail.com

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Sure you'll love your cruise. We love Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022).

Just make sure to study those with RECENT experiences with O. Seems like a lot has changed since COVID and the cruise lines restarted in late 2021. The experiences prior to that may not be quite like it is now and in the future.

It is not very much different..now that everyone has settled in..the food is back up to its amazing standard and the help goes out of their way..not sure what you are talking about since you are a relative newbie..all the experienced O pax love it..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 7

Welcome to Oceania.  Still an "O" newbie as we will only be going on our 2nd O cruise in January 2024. Loved our first on in June 2022. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful!

• Like 1

Yes, one reason I dropped X was the pre-cruise experience on cruisecritic was very galling. The BEST part of cruising on O are your fellow PAX! They are the best! (Most of ‘em, anyway) 🤪

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 9

One thing I can recommend to everyone who is new to O: take the reviews with a grain of salt. Those latest reviews are so different from our experience (and we sailed 4 times already after the restart, 2 of them on O). Personally I didn't see much difference.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nashna said:

I have been a member of Cruise Critic for many years.  I have used this site to obtain valuable information on our sailings and have been happy to offer my observations.  I have participated in Princess, HAL, Regent, Seabourne, MSC, and Celebrity Boards before and after sailing on those cruise lines.  My 61st cruise and first on Oceania will be on the Vista on January 31st, 2024.  Since we made our reservation, I have followed the Oceania Cruise Critic Board.  I have been very impressed by the Oceania posters on this site.  The quality of information, lack of snarkiness, and genuine interest in helping newbies like myself have been very welcoming.

Welcome to the Oceania Board.  i will be on the same cruise.

Hope we get to meet.

I have not yet checked if there is a roll call.  

Looking forward to being on the Vista.

Terri

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Welcome to the Oceania Board.  i will be on the same cruise.

Hope we get to meet.

I have not yet checked if there is a roll call.  

Looking forward to being on the Vista.

Terri

I started one a few days ago.  I waited three weeks after making my reservation as I would have preferred a more experienced O passenger to take the helm.

14 hours ago, Jancruz said:

It is not very much different..now that everyone has settled in..the food is back up to its amazing standard and the help goes out of their way..not sure what you are talking about since you are a relative newbie..all the experienced O pax love it..

You have to be specific and timely and relevant on such experiences. What happened in 2012 or 2016 is hardly applicable specifically in 2023. We can read lots of complaints about food and other things on these boards over the past year or so. And various issues with ships that have impacted people reporting their recent experiences here (e.g., toilet flooding, missed ports, reduced port times, supply issues, etc.)

I was on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 BUT that was BEFORE her renovation/remodel, so even there one has to keep that in mind. I'll be back on Riviera 10/30/2023 and ONLY then will I "know" what the redone ship is like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

I started one a few days ago.  I waited three weeks after making my reservation as I would have preferred a more experienced O passenger to take the helm.

I only made the reservation this week.

Will join the roll call.

Terri

I am a newbie to Oceania as is the author and many respondents.  That said, I am also not a newbie to CruiseCritic.com or cruising in general.  Every brands blogs have a different dynamic. Other social media brands also are different in the way their members respond or post.  

Let's take a moment and remember fondly our very first cruise ever.  We had no foundation of knowledge and everything was new.  I will never forget seeing that ship at the port of Miami for the first time. The short walk from the port terminal on the gangway to the ship.  The first dance outside in the warm summer air with my then new bride.  It was all new and all wonderful.  

Each cruise afterward was compared to the first one.  The reality of what actual happened was rewritten and imaged in my mind only getting better over time.  For me, the same thing happened the first time I did a VIP area on a mega ship like the NCL Haven or the Celebrity Retreat.  It was somewhat new again.  I also notices on the next few trips, something was different then the first, something was missing or deleted.  Never a lot, just enough to slightly notice.  This feeling is both normal, valid and human.  

I am a newbie to Oceania because the brands I have traveled did enough differently to make me want something different, something new again.  The hope of getting a little bit of that feeling from that first cruise.  If this craving consistency of what we like and constant improvement was not real, there would only be one cruise brand, one brand of cola, one brand of bread or cookies.  The only difference from those consumable products is in cruising, the passengers absolutely make a difference.  That is the unknown and somewhat uncontrollable factor.  

I would like to thank the author of this OP-ED for her post.  I agree that my decision to book my first trip with Oceania Cruise had very much to do with the way guest here on this social media blog answered questions, handle themselves when challenged, and reviewed their experiences.  A very special thank you to the members of this Oceania Cruise Blog that emphasize not to expect to be blown away.  To always stay realistic and set ones expectations to be realistic.  Creating an unattainable experience in my mind has actually also created dissatisfaction on past vacations.  I learned my lesson good and bad. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 13

A good statement

Some  people  love Oceania & will overlook any problems  but we need to be realistic

They are not perfect  &  people should go with an open mind & expectations in check then you will not be disappointed  if things are not perfect

They suit our needs better than other lines we have tried  but we choose them & know nothing in life is perfect

They may or may not work for everyone's needs & wants

JMO

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

You have to be specific and timely and relevant on such experiences. What happened in 2012 or 2016 is hardly applicable specifically in 2023. We can read lots of complaints about food and other things on these boards over the past year or so. And various issues with ships that have impacted people reporting their recent experiences here (e.g., toilet flooding, missed ports, reduced port times, supply issues, etc.)

I was on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 BUT that was BEFORE her renovation/remodel, so even there one has to keep that in mind. I'll be back on Riviera 10/30/2023 and ONLY then will I "know" what the redone ship is like.

Im sorry I thought you were talking about service..didnt know you meant the hardware..at times your posts confuse me..I was on Oceania 3 times last year in 2022 and the service and food  was wonderful and I have spent a lot of time on all of their ships over the last 20 years..I leave shortly again and know I will have an amazing trip as I look for the good stuff that happens..

Thanks,

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As to cruise reviews (whether for O or another line), I tend to read them with skepticism on the ready.  By that I mean that if a review is all good or all bad, I will tend to discount it.  If a review says "X" was wonderful but "Y" was not .. that I can read with an open mind.

Mura

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

You have to be specific and timely and relevant on such experiences. What happened in 2012 or 2016 is hardly applicable specifically in 2023. We can read lots of complaints about food and other things on these boards over the past year or so. And various issues with ships th.at have impacted people reporting their recent experiences here (e.g., toilet flooding, missed ports, reduced port times, supply issues, etc.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jan lady needs schooling on Oceania from you. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jan lady needs schooling on Oceania from you. LOL

Anyone who has cruised on O since the 2021 restart certainly can and should share their thoughts. They have great value. The current state of affairs on O ships. We did Riviera 12/2021 and Sirena 11/2022. So we qualify. And we've got 20 more nights booked on Riviera in 11/2023 and 10 more on Sirena in 09/2024, so we'll still be able to continue to share relevant current thoughts for some time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nashna -

I suspect  you will find a new home in Oceania.   

And I agree - generally a very positive and helpful group here on the Oceania Board.    I see you joined CruiseCritic in 2001 as I did, although I am one day older!!!   I've been posting on the Celebrity and Oceania Boards during most of that time and little has changed here in the tenor of the posters on the Oceania board.   

There are a couple of people that have responded to this thread that have been my "friends" for all those years.   I've met one in person and the other hopefully some day.   I think that says a lot too.

We were on Riviera in September/October of last year.   Overall an excellent cruise with the crew making it special and some outstanding meals.   Was it "perfect" no, but pretty darn close to what I expected of Oceania.

Welcome to the group!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Anyone who has cruised on O since the 2021 restart certainly can and should share their thoughts. They have great value. The current state of affairs on O ships. We did Riviera 12/2021 and Sirena 11/2022. So we qualify. And we've got 20 more nights booked on Riviera in 11/2023 and 10 more on Sirena in 09/2024, so we'll still be able to continue to share relevant current thoughts for some time.

Indeed, and the opinion of recent cruisers is more valuable to me than the opinions of cheerleaders touting their favorite line with a blind eye to it's faults.

And don't get me started on frequent posters who have zero relevant post-covid cruising experience.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

@MEFIowa I will be joining you on the Riviera in November 2023.  I hope you will allow me to buy you and your significant other an Adult Beverage.  Your experience and opinions matter to me and others.  I have cruises four times on other brands after the cruising began back.  There is no question things are different.  Both good and bad.  That is a major reason why I am trying Oceania. 

When folks are loyal to a brand; cruise or otherwise, many become what the industry calls Advocates. They love the brand so much they want to protect it and tell the world about it.  Like family members whom might misbehave sometimes, we sometimes justify those actions due to the emotional tie we have with them. I know this feeling and action very well because I an guilty of doing it myself.

The reality is cruising changed and the cruising industry has had to adjust.  We as paying guest need to openly discuss what we like and don't like.  The brand needs to listen to us or lose our business.  That is why your opinion counts as does everyone else.  Newbies like myself can take it all in and decide for our self.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@MEFIowa I will be joining you on the Riviera in November 2023.  I hope you will allow me to buy you and your significant other an Adult Beverage.  Your experience and opinions matter to me and others.  I have cruises four times on other brands after the cruising began back.  There is no question things are different.  Both good and bad.  That is a major reason why I am trying Oceania....

Since we cruise for ports and excursions, I'm just glad that our upcoming cruise together has just the one sea day. IF the CD doesn't program in a Veterans' Gathering, I'm going to try to self-host one, with the CD's publicity help, on the sea day. When I did that on Sirena 11/2022 we did it in Martinis at 3 pm. But the time and place will depend on what is going on during the sea day. So if you see that (bad pun intended), stop by and we'll meet. I'll have a goatee and wear glasses and look "young" for the cruisers! Or at least I hope. 😉

For all the non-sea days, wife & I will be getting off Riviera as soon as we can to go ashore. And we tend to come back at or near the final return time. Tired but doe-eyed with the sights we've seen and things we've done. So on the nights before, I'm in bed by 10 pm. Usually enjoying an adult beverage on our veranda from 9-10. 

• Thanks 1

First, let me say that I'm not a cheerleaders or Advocate. We sailed on 11 different lines and not loyal to any specific line. We book mostly based on itinerary and pricing. Currently booked on 2 O, 2 SS and 1 SB for the next 2 years.

We sailed on O 3 times: one per Covid and twice post Covid. Maybe it's a limited sample, but personally I didn't see much difference. The food was consistently excellent, the staff very friendly and the service very good.

Our last cruise was on the Regatta last year and it was a great experience. A few weeks later someone posted a 1 star review about the same cruise. The reason? It wasn't food or service. It was because we missed 2 ports. Which is true - we missed Mexico because of a Hurricane. Did he really expect the captain to take the ship into the Hurricane? And no, it's not always possible to find an alternative port last minute.. Missing ports is one the risks of cruising - don't cruise if you are not willing to take that risk.

Such reviews probably tell you more about the reviewer than the ship (I would use some strong words, but don't want the post to be deleted).

A similar thing happened after our SS cruise last December.

There is a current tendency to be very negative - you will see those silly negative reviews across most cruise lines, including SS, SB and Regent.

And this is what I meant by "take the reviews with a grain of salt". I think even the most loyal O customers will never claim it's perfect. No line is, including much more expensive lines. But to me, O offers an excellent value for money by allowing me to pay only for things that I need and not to pay for things I don't (like alcohol).

I don't expect great entertainment and/or activities from O. I don't expect big cabins if I sail on R ships. I do expect great food and service, no crowds, no lines etc. Everyone should be doing their homework and know what to expect from each line.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 2/28/2023 at 5:55 PM, Nashna said:

I've found O passengers to be. experienced, adaptable, forgiving, welcoming.....don't sweat the small stuff, don't complain about little things, very adventuresome/independent ...looking for great itineraries  and appreciating the smaller, lesser-known places O goes. But I haven't been on the more expensive lines like Regent and Seabourne.  So you may find a little bit of fault with O, or might even meet someone you don't particularly like.  No line or person is perfect, but for me, for the money (mostly cruising in inside cabins on O's smallest ships) I feel the O experience is the best out there. Just go with an open mind and maybe you will too.

• Like 6

Echoing a few comments here.  We're going on our 10th O cruise in November.  We also experienced some startup issues on a Barcelona to Lisbon cruise last April. But we were on that California cruise mentioned above, and saw things like food, service, etc. returning to normal.  And on Oceania, normal is pretty nice.  Looking forward to being back again this year, feels like home at this point.

• Like 2