Extra gratuities in specialty restaurants

We are a family of 4 and two companions, traveling on Wonder, 4/20/23. We purchased the unlimited specialty dining package. What should hubby and I be providing for a group of 6 at each meal? I realize it’s not necessary to leave extra, but these people work so hard and I have been in the service industry in the past. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We usually leave $10 for both of us. 

I do the same for two people but that's usually with paying the individual meal price.  We never do udp since that would make us over eat.  Considering you have 6 I am sure they would be happy with anything extra.  Just don't give them a bunch of $2s 😋 unless that's all you have then that's ok too lol.

Edited by Blur
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, 7680 said:

We are a family of 4 and two companions, traveling on Wonder, 4/20/23. We purchased the unlimited specialty dining package. What should hubby and I be providing for a group of 6 at each meal? I realize it’s not necessary to leave extra, but these people work so hard and I have been in the service industry in the past. Thanks!

We leave $20 for 2. But that's for above and beyond.  I like minestrone ... ok, we will make it for you. Or if waiter says: try is new one on me. Paying attention to your kids, etc.

19 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Our first RCL cruise in a couple weeks.  The built in 18% seems like a decent tip to us; hoping to hear more on this topic.

18% if doing UDP isn't that much total tip for all the eating you will be doing.  Of course extra tipping isn't required but def nice.

Let's said UDP for 7 night is 300 that's 360 with 20% tip.  Given you'll prob do 7 dinners, 7 lunches, x extra snack locations eg pre-dinner sushi.  You are getting a steal of a price and only paid $60 tip for all those meals.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sandc4e said:

We always leave an additional $20 for the 2 of us.'

Wow.  Former MIL was from Maine & to say she was thrifty is putting it nicely 🙂

OK, I do appreciate clarification on where the 18% goes.  So we will bring more paper money along than originally planned & tip as if only 5% or so is going to the waiter or whoever.

• Like 1

We generally leave $10 to $20.  But I do have a comment about the tip pool.  I agree the server doesn’t get much as an individual from your 18%, but doesn’t he also get a portion of every one else’s 18%?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blur said:

18% if doing UDP isn't that much total tip for all the eating you will be doing.  Of course extra tipping isn't required but def nice.

Let's said UDP for 7 night is 300 that's 360 with 20% tip.  Given you'll prob do 7 dinners, 7 lunches, x extra snack locations eg pre-dinner sushi.  You are getting a steal of a price and only paid $60 tip for all those meals.

Doesn't the auto-grats cover the 4/5 non sea day lunches and snacks plus the dinners you are not eating in the dining room???

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Doesn't the auto-grats cover the 4/5 non sea day lunches and snacks plus the dinners you are not eating in the dining room???

There is that! Paying double if you leave auto grats in place.

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Typo
  • Like 2