Teenagers causing damage to ship this week

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Exactly.

The children of the 90s who had little discipline are now raising their own children.  That said, there are great kids out there. I unfortunately don’t like how the good kids are being lumped in with the bad ones. 

Leaving our Casita on day 3, I noticed 3 or 4 kids trying to get the attention of staff in the closed jammer. 

Then I saw a fresh ice cream cone on the floor. They were trying to find staff to clean it up.

Kudos to them, there may be hope after all

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Another reason enjoy only Cruises 10+ nites last 20+ yrs. Very few Family/Kids, older/quieter and smaller crowds. At most 10-50 Kids, this even over Thanksgiving and instead of 108% capacity have about 75-80% at most

Yes, but even that's changing.  Parents have zero problems with taking their kids out of school anytime they feel like it.  Our upcoming Apr 8 cruise on EN is a 12 night and from the roll call, there are a lot of kids that will be onboard.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

I think we would have been called free range when I was a kid 60 years ago.  We went out  in the morning and didn’t come back until we got called for dinner and we ignored that as long as possible!  Had a several block radius to roam in.  Nobody watched us but somehow if you did something wrong, somebody’s mother called your mother and look out when dad got home!!

My mom traveled a lot when I was a teen, and I was an only child, she was a single parent. All the neighbors on the street would report my activities and any visitors (and how long they stayed). I got creative of course but it never involved destruction of property or (too) crazy behavior! We couldn’t afford cruising but I always appreciated and was respectful of all vacations we did take. 

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Leaving our Casita on day 3, I noticed 3 or 4 kids trying to get the attention of staff in the closed jammer. 

Then I saw a fresh ice cream cone on the floor. They were trying to find staff to clean it up.

There are definitely good ones out there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, allyfree said:

It's all part of the RCCL culture to turn cruising into a holiday camp afloat ... we are D cruisers who went on Anthem last year (first time on a Quantum class) and hated it. So many of the amenities are geared towards a younger clientele which encourages them to become over-enthusiastic and wild ... and we're by no means old !

Yup it's changed. Cruising in general was called Newlywed and Nearly Dead, and Royal was this not a Family Cruise Line. First went on my Honeymoon at 20yrs old was only a pair of 18yr olds younger then us. No Families/Kids. This on the then new Sovereign, the largest Cruise Ship in World and first Mega-Cruise Ship. And this was Summer 4th of July Cruise. Soon as Voyager Class came out started getting younger Crowd, more Families and Kids and prices by 2002 were a third what were 15yrs before. Shoot in 90's couldnt afford take my Kids in Summertime. First 2 passengers were like $999ea, 3rd and 4th were running $1399ea, and this in an OV Cabin. We always had to Cruise off season, Feb and Sept-Oct

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes, but even that's changing.  Parents have zero problems with taking their kids out of school anytime they feel like it.  Our upcoming Apr 8 cruise on EN is a 12 night and from the roll call, there are a lot of kids that will be onboard.

Interesting, all of mine are now out of college even but it was not as easy to take them out of school whenever we tried or there were definite consequences (missing out on key games or roles). Then again the pandemic and drain on teachers, I expect now it’s all “enrichment”. I fully  support family time as valuable but not sure any cruise is that enriching!

• Like 3

I took my 2 and my grands out of school at various times for vacations.  Not a ton but it happened.  Kids grew up still able to read write  and carry on an intelligent conversation.  Daughter is 38, ask her what she remembers more, missing a week of high school or the cruise we took.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, melbur said:

Kids sail free..., please stop this promo.  I've never experienced so many kids in the months following Xmas break as I have this year. Misbehaving, rude and pushy. I had 2 young teens at 4am harass me for any cash I had on me cause they wanted to go back to the arcade and had no money left.

Hellooo, parents?

Teens do not sail free.  Cut off is age 12..

What I find interesting is people report their actual experiences and what they witnessed onboard and people get offended by it. And others don't get the point and decide it's about them.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BND said:

What I find interesting is people report their actual experiences and what they witnessed onboard and people get offended by it. And others don't get the point and decide it's about them.

"I was on a cruise and didn't see bad teenagers.  Therefore, you must be lying."

• Like 5

Just the way of the world these days, sadly. We sailed with our kids several times when they were young (now 26 and 27). They always exhibited behavior that we could be proud of. It is what kids are taught (good or bad) 

Edited by 7680

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I agree that they can be kicked off at the next port, but can they really be prosecuted by the local police for something that was done (most likely) in international waters, or in the waters of another country?

Nope.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mandyleighflies said:

I have always been strict with my kids in regard to their manners and behaviors ...

We've always been more strict than most parents too.  Our kids grew up more family-oriented, more focused on academics and church, less worldly, more sheltered than average.  No regrets. 

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is exactly what happens. On a cruise 15 years ago one teen started heckling a singer not because she was bad but because it was opera. The other nine teens joined in. There were no adults with them at the show. If the teens were not a pack it would not have happened. It only takes one who wants to show off.

Definitely people (of any age) in a pack will do things they would not do on their own.  

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I have said before, parents and kids board the ship and the parents tell them see you in a week😳

Haven't we all heard parents brag about this very thing? 

Put 'em in a separate cabin down the hall, mom and dad enjoy all their meals kid-free, no support for the ship's (very late) teen curfew, give them alcohol on the downlow.   

4 hours ago, Max and Ruby said:

My teen daughters won’t even go to the teen club. They spotted behaviors that they did not want to be around. They told us and we were like “ yeah, uh no. “ So we always made it a family cruise ... 

That's too bad.  My kids used to really enjoy the teen club ... but one of our rules was, We eat dinner as a family and after that you're either in a teen club activity or with us.  

41 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

There are definitely good ones out there. 

Definitely!  And they are the majority ... but the bad apples stand out.  

28 minutes ago, BND said:

Who's offended?  Seems like people on this thread are united in their disgust at these particular teens' (or families') behavior!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

That is my thought. There just isn’t a nice way of saying it…. You can just tell there’s more of a shift of the type of people now sailing on Royal.

I wish they would do away with the promos and increase prices well above Carnival. This is the first cruise in years we aren’t booking another cruise onboard.

During the 2022 Alaska season, we noticed a different (downward) shift in the passenger/pier-side interaction with some Royal Caribbean cruisers.  The vibe was more Carnival, than what was previous expected from Royal passengers. It will be interesting to see if it continues this season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Interesting, all of mine are now out of college even but it was not as easy to take them out of school whenever we tried or there were definite consequences (missing out on key games or roles). Then again the pandemic and drain on teachers, I expect now it’s all “enrichment”. I fully  support family time as valuable but not sure any cruise is that enriching!

Most Schools my Kids attended we were allowed 2weeks personal/Vacation. But I'd always work Vacations & Military Leave around Holidays/School Vacations. Labor Day they only had 4 days before after and in Oct and Feb they had Fall Break(Columbus Day) and Midwinter Break(Presidents Day). Oldest was Home Schooled, Graduated at 16 so that also helped

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I agree that they can be kicked off at the next port, but can they really be prosecuted by the local police for something that was done (most likely) in international waters, or in the waters of another country?

The state of Florida asserts some jurisdiction for crimes committed on cruises that both begin and end in the state, even if the crime occurred in international waters.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I agree. Lots of great kids out there still.  I know some of their parents.  🙂 The best parents I know are present, take responsibility, and have raised some pretty great kids during a time when so many have abdicated parenting. 

Like every generation, all get lumped together and judged by the worst behaved. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

I think we would have been called free range when I was a kid 60 years ago.  We went out  in the morning and didn’t come back until we got called for dinner and we ignored that as long as possible!  Had a several block radius to roam in.  Nobody watched us but somehow if you did something wrong, somebody’s mother called your mother and look out when dad got home!!

Here also. Many Moms on our Street, also 4 Aunts and Grand Parents on same 2 Blocks. We moved was 8yrs old then walked my 6yr old Sister home from School and Babysit her. Latch Key Kids. We'd be on our own til Mom got home 2 nites was 5, other 2 was 630pm. When was Summer Vacation would grab some Food, my Pup tent and Friends   would go Camp out nite or 3. Sometimes in our backyards others 3/4 mile away in the Woods. This when was 10-13yrs old. We were safe, had my Buck Knife and a .22/Pellet Gun

1 hour ago, BND said:

Agree, was stationed different States and my Kids had many different Vacations dates then. Now so many yr round School, Charter and Home Schooled. My Grand Daughter starts School here in Arizona 3rd week of July, has 2.5 weeks off in Sept/Oct and in March also, 4.5-5 weeks off Dec/Jan, and end School yr week after Mothers Day. Did my First Easter Cruise last April, well it ended on Easter, 8niter and we might have had 25kids. Shortest Cruise's done in 21+ yrs. Was B4B though and following leg started on Easter where we had about 50 Kids but many younger Adults. Last 10yrs at 47-57yrs old use to being one youngest on the longer 10+ niters, Repos, PC Cruises and Radiance Class. Average about 20% Younger then me, one starting on Easter I'd guess only 30% passengers were Older then me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I wish parents would supervise their kids in the Windjammer. Some touch the food directly with their hands, one even used their hand to grab spaghetti 🤮

Sometimes the parents do this type of thing also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1