QM2 Refit? Refresh?

Mudhen

The gap in QM2's schedule is from October 22, 2023 when she arrives in Hamburg until November 16, 2023 when she resumes service from Southampton. My assumption is she will be at Blohm+Voss shipyard in Hamburg during that time. Here are a couple previous threads where we have been discussing/speculating about this.

• Like 2

Hopefully they will be taking care of a lot of rust we noticed on our July cruise last year.  I realize that the salt water causes this rust on the balconies, railings, etc. but of our 6 cruises, this was the first time we ever saw it that bad.

Would love it if they got rid of the cloth shower curtains but not hopeful. 

And I almost feel guilty about asking for this on the "wish list"....a true first world problem....(giggle!)

Please re-do the Queen's grill bar....it's been the same, exact thing since the very first time we cruised her , back in the dim dawn of time. It's definately the most boring bar on the ship. I realize that logistics come into play, but isn't there some bright ship's architect who could come up with something better?

Please???!!!!!

42 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

And I almost feel guilty about asking for this on the "wish list"....a true first world problem....(giggle!)

Please re-do the Queen's grill bar....it's been the same, exact thing since the very first time we cruised her , back in the dim dawn of time. It's definately the most boring bar on the ship. I realize that logistics come into play, but isn't there some bright ship's architect who could come up with something better?

Please???!!!!!

I agree with you. It’s a miserable room. I’m not sure it has always had the same colour scheme though. I also hope they change the carpets in the corridors. The current ones look faded even though they are not. They should aim for the opposite: something that doesn’t look faded even when it is.

27 minutes ago, NE John said:

Adding USB outlets near bedside lamps would soothe a lot of people’s complaints. 

While desired / overdue - that is not the sort of update that requires expensive yard & dry dock time.

I am surprised that Cunard has not been swapping out table lamps for USB reworked versions [say a dozen rooms per turn around port visit] for the past couple of years [pre and post covid lockdown].

They should at least have a prototype Britannia stateroom lamp with usb [and any needed safety features] available for input on planning.

10 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

Oh yes please, the shower curtains.How can it be done I have no idea? We are so looking forward to our Christmas cruise and I’m sure she will look as elegant as ever.

On a crossing of the QE2 in the final year of service (2008) we were pleasantly surprised to see a glass shower door instead of the usual curtain that was always in Britannia cabins that we occupied.  It was a small space so if it can be done on an almost 40-year-old ship it can be done on the current Queens.

• 6 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, bluemarble said:

The gap in QM2's schedule is from October 22, 2023 when she arrives in Hamburg until November 16, 2023 when she resumes service from Southampton. My assumption is she will be at Blohm+Voss shipyard in Hamburg during that time.

I've been reading on other social media that QM2 will be heading to Rotterdam for her upcoming drydock. I've been burned before believing what's posted there, but what I've been reading does sound convincing on that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/23/2023 at 3:36 AM, david,Mississauga said:

On a crossing of the QE2 in the final year of service (2008) we were pleasantly surprised to see a glass shower door instead of the usual curtain that was always in Britannia cabins that we occupied.  It was a small space so if it can be done on an almost 40-year-old ship it can be done on the current Queens.

She is to have an extended refit in 26 and amongst other things that is apparently under consideration.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:36 PM, david,Mississauga said:

I understand that the newer Britannia Club staterooms on 13 have glass shower doors but they are otherwise essentially identical to Britannis staterooms on lower floors. They did have the advantage of building them into the new staerooms rather than adding them later.

6 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I understand that the newer Britannia Club staterooms on 13 have glass shower doors but they are otherwise essentially identical to Britannis staterooms on lower floors. They did have the advantage of building them into the new staerooms rather than adding them later.

We have stayed in one of those Deck 13 Club staterooms twice and have two further bookings. In addition to the shower door, the bathroom is more elegant with a marble counter; the bed-side tables have marble tops and the balcony door is the sliding type. 

I am not a serious photographer, but these pictures will give you an idea of the bathroom. 

P1030294.JPG

P1030295.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks. You sent me looking for a photo of the Britannia bathroom in my own photos. Turns out I took more of the shelterred balcony but I did find one online.
Is the layout the same? Our preferred statroom layout put the bed to the right as you enter the room and I believe your bathroom layout is the opposite configuration from what I'm used to.  Definitely looks more up-to-date than the original furnishing.

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Thanks. You sent me looking for a photo of the Britannia bathroom in my own photos. Turns out I took more of the shelterred balcony but I did find one online.
Is the layout the same? Our preferred statroom layout put the bed to the right as you enter the room and I believe your bathroom layout is the opposite configuration from what I'm used to.  Definitely looks more up-to-date than the original furnishing.

The layout and apparent size is the same as the regular Britannia cabins. As to the configuration, my recollection from our two trips was that they alternate between bed on the right and bed on the left. We had adjacent cabins with a friend (although there was no "communicating door") Ours -13035 - had the bed on the left and his - 13037 -  on the right.  The deck plans appear to be accurate in showing the entry doors to the cabins.  

Just off QM2 after 14 days. Glad that she is about to enter dry dock in Rotterdam for much needed work. The hull needs repainting as does the superstructure, rust is prevalent. According to a hotel officer I chatted with most of the work will be replacing old machinery and remedying the aforementioned rust.

Based on experience while leaving Boston a couple of days ago she may have problems with her electrical system. The lights flickered many times while attempting to get underway and yesterday she was delayed in leaving NY for Southampton. The reason given was that shore power dropped which disrupted QM2's IT systems. She didn't get underway to Southampton until this morning,

Most of the interior appeared in good shape, just a few spots or carpeting needing replacing and the occasional piece of furniture in need of reupholstering.

We had a very pleasant cruise but Cunard has declined since COVID. We missed having the live music and candelabras in the dining room on formal nights, the quality and choice of food has declined (greatly, according to my wife), the book shop used to be stocked with all sorts of goodies and almost always open, the room service menu is extremely limited. A bright spot was lunch in Verandah which was very good to excellent.

Hopefully the ship will be up to the usual Cunard standard in time for our May 2024 crossings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Just off QM2 after 14 days. Glad that she is about to enter dry dock in Rotterdam for much needed work. The hull needs repainting as does the superstructure, rust is prevalent. According to a hotel officer I chatted with most of the work will be replacing old machinery and remedying the aforementioned rust.

Based on experience while leaving Boston a couple of days ago she may have problems with her electrical system. The lights flickered many times while attempting to get underway and yesterday she was delayed in leaving NY for Southampton. The reason given was that shore power dropped which disrupted QM2's IT systems. She didn't get underway to Southampton until this morning,

Most of the interior appeared in good shape, just a few spots or carpeting needing replacing and the occasional piece of furniture in need of reupholstering.

We had a very pleasant cruise but Cunard has declined since COVID. We missed having the live music and candelabras in the dining room on formal nights, the quality and choice of food has declined (greatly, according to my wife), the book shop used to be stocked with all sorts of goodies and almost always open, the room service menu is extremely limited. A bright spot was lunch in Verandah which was very good to excellent.

Hopefully the ship will be up to the usual Cunard standard in time for our May 2024 crossings.

I'm not sure the changes you mention are dated from Covid. The bookshop changed some time before that, after a parting from Ocean Books, whereas the decline in quality and choice of food and the diminution of the room service menu must be after last summer when we were aboard.

We had no issues with the amount or quality of food in Britannia on QM2 inay on our roundtrip TA. The service was not as good as previous cruises and they certainly couldn't get a grip on Freedom dining and was often frantic. On occasions told to go away and come back later because restaurant was full even after pre booking on the app earlier.

Edited by majortom10

We still wonder if we were on the same ship as others.

1.On twice in 9 months, the only agreement about the food was one (1) time last September we questioned a beef dish. Even the PG M'D saw what I questioned. 

Otherwise all other meals and dishes on a 14 day and 7 day sailings were acceptable and enjoyed. Either at PG, Queens Room (tea time) and Kings Court.

And my DW and I are critical about the quality, preparation and presentation of our meals on board and at home.

2. And Our service was always outstanding and professional by all staff.

3. As mention, we don't look for it but do notice the rust spots around the ship and our balcony. But understand her exposure 24 hours a day to the Salt Water and Elements. But it doesn't interfere with the voyage we so were looking forward too!

All will be addressed in due time but may in the future have to re-adressed. 

• Like 1