Why did NCL bail on 7-day Bahamas cruises out of NYC?

That used to be a staple route for them...they'd run it week in and week out. Probably 90% of the cruises I've taken were with NCL on that route. 

Seems weird that they're entirely ceding that market to Royal and now MSC. I don't see any NYC Bahamas cruises coming up anywhere in NCL's future cruises. 

27 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

That used to be a staple route for them...they'd run it week in and week out. Probably 90% of the cruises I've taken were with NCL on that route. 

Seems weird that they're entirely ceding that market to Royal and now MSC. I don't see any NYC Bahamas cruises coming up anywhere in NCL's future cruises. 

it could be they are responding to the surveys.  

Shorter 5 days Bermuda milky run ... #cough #cough weather permitting & ports open for marine traffic - seems to be replacing Nassau as the "new" alternate destination.  Besides, NCL seemed to be charging higher prices & port fees ... and lately, regardless of which ship sailing from NY, they are fully & often close to maximum lifeboat capacity.  

In many ways, this beats those 1 p.m. arrival into Port Canaveral, 50/50 odds tendering at GSC and ... the hated "Nassau" port.  

Appealing to a different & newer market ... plus adding seasonal cruises out of Baltimore, MD (with the smaller/older ships) and holding prices without deeply discounting them last minute.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Because MSC and Carnival will soon both be sailing their versions of the FLA/Bahamas "milk run". MSC starting April 22nd and Carnival Venezia starting in June. Both will be homeporting year round. 

MSC's pricing is so low (no service charge for "free" drink package) that I have to give them a try. 7 night cruise Under $1600.00 including drink package and unlimited internet for two of us. That price includes all port fees and taxes for an o/v cabin in May. Plus loyalty matched me to MSC Gold for first cruise.

Edited by NYcruzzer

2 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

(no service charge for "free" drink package)

Huh?  They advertise free drinks but you have to select the cruise fare with the drink package that is $220pp higher than the base fare.  
image.thumb.png.72a4f4ea716c793f2c81a8854571a92d.png

Edited by Liljo22

7 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Huh?  They advertise free drinks but you have to select the cruise fare with the drink package that is $220pp higher than the base fare.  
image.thumb.png.72a4f4ea716c793f2c81a8854571a92d.png

We are jumping on the MSC bandwagon, comparing a 5-day on the Joy versus a 6-day on MSC, Bermuda sailing in September, starting price was 1550 less for a balcony, then when we start to add stuff, ie drink package the savings are even more. But the question for us is can we adjust? Such as a fixed dining time, early or late, there is other stuff that I have been reading here and other places as well that may be a shock to us. 

Edited by JIMESOPUS

23 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We are jumping on the MSC bandwagon, comparing a 5-day on the Joy versus a 6-day on MSC, Bermuda sailing in September, starting price was 1550 less for a balcony, then when we start to add stuff, ie drink package the savings are even more. But the question for us is can we adjust? Such as a fixed dining time, early or late, there is other stuff that I have been reading here and other places as well that may be a shock to us. 

Yep, from what we've heard about MSC, my travel CEO/Chairman of the Board  (DW) has said that if I suggest them, we would only go if in yacht club (their version of haven). I do like what I've seen heard about Ocean Cay, and the look of the MSC ships.

6 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Isn’t the Joy doing 7-day Bermuda runs this summer?  What am I missing? 

back in the day, before the pandemic NCL used to have 2 ships out of NYC during the summer. 1 ship did the Florida and Bahamas run and the other ship did the Bermuda run  

it was always a jewel class ship that did the Florida and Bahamas run like the Gem and a breakaway class ship for Bermuda

2 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

My post wasn't against MSC.  They have really great deals and I have been looking at them more and more.  My post was about the OP saying they don't charge a service fee for their "free" drink package when you have to pay an extra $220pp to get the drink package, wifi and a $50 OBC.  

11 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

42 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

My post wasn't against MSC.  They have really great deals and I have been looking at them more and more.  My post was about the OP saying they don't charge a service fee for their "free" drink package when you have to pay an extra $220pp to get the drink package, wifi and a $50 OBC.  

How is that any different than NCL? They advertise Frea at Sea including the free drink package, but if you select the advertised lowest fare it is going to be a Sail Away Inside GTD room which does not include all of the advertised Free At Sea perks. You have to choose the more expensive fare types which generally allow room selection (except when occupancy is limited) to be able to get the FAS perks.

Edited by 603NHCruiser
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

How is that any different than NCL? They advertise Frea at Sea including the free drink package, but if you select the advertised lowest fare it is going to be a Sail Away Inside GTD room which does not include all of the advertised Free At Sea perks. You have to choose the more expensive fare types which generally allow room selection (except when occupancy is limited) to be able to get the FAS perks.

It isn't.  That's the point.  The poster was trying to claim that MSC doesn't charge for their free drink package while NCL does.  That's why they put Free in quotations.  MSC charges about the same as NCL for their drink package while also claiming its free.  The only difference is NCL is showing that they are adding the fees and MSC is just burying it in the higher fare.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

It isn't.  That's the point.  The poster was trying to claim that MSC doesn't charge for their free drink package while NCL does.  That's why they put Free in quotations.  MSC charges about the same as NCL for their drink package while also claiming its free.  The only difference is NCL is showing that they are adding the fees and MSC is just burying it in the higher fare.  

Ahh... ok. I understand where you are coming from now. I thought you were going down the "NCL can do no wrong" path 😂

I will say though if the increased fare charge on MSC is $220 and that includes Drinks, Wifi and some amount of OBC, that does still sound as though its a better deal if you are only comparing that PORTION of the fare (I understand, and agree that the overall cost may work out to be about the same if comparing similar itineraries.) The jump from ?X category to one that includes free at sea can sometimes be a couple hundred dollars, and then you are still paying the beverage service charge on-top of it.

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

The MSC screenshot you displayed shows the equivilant of NCL's Sailaway vs. Free at Sea. I was actually comparing apples to apples. The $220.00 differance includes drink package (no service charge) unlimited internet for two and OBC. For now MSC is blowing NCL away in pricing as they try to establish market share in NYC. What I was trying to say was that MSC doesn't add  $305.00 in service fees (7 night cruise) for two people for their drink package. 

Edited by NYcruzzer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

The MSC screenshot you displayed shows the equivilant of NCL's Sailaway vs. Free at Sea. I was actually comparing apples to apples. The $220.00 differance includes drink package (no service charge) unlimited internet for two and OBC. For now MSC is blowing NCL away in pricing as they try to establish market share in NYC. What I was trying to say was that MSC doesn't add  $305.00 in service fees (7 night cruise) for two people for their drink package. 

That's not true though.  If I select either option from what I screenshot, I have the same cabins available to choose.  The difference between NCL's Sailaway rate and their Free at Sea rate is the ability to choose what cabin you want.  Since there is no difference in cabins between the two MSC options, MSC is charging you $440 in service fees for their drink package.  

Edited by Liljo22

4 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

I agree and follow your train of logic entirely. "Apples & Apples" for sure!

I think @Liljo22 point is that even with MSC it still isnt FREE. However, I think you already established that when you made your comment by putting the "Free" in parenthesis. Every experienced cruiser knows that the cruise line is still going to get their money one way or another. It's either built into the cruise fare or added as a tack on fee.

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

That's not true though.  If I select either option from what I screenshot, I have the same cabins available to choose.  The difference between NCL's Sailaway rate and their Free at Sea rate is the ability to choose what cabin you want.  Since there is not difference in cabins between the two MSC options, MSC is charging you $440 in service fees for their drink package.  

The higher cost fare on NCL does not ALWAYS allow for room selection. in most cases it does, but if you are trying to book on a ship and sail date with limited availability you will still be assigned a GTD room. in this case it is a direct apples to apples comparison. you are literally paying more to get the "Free at Sea" perks

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

back in the day, before the pandemic NCL used to have 2 ships out of NYC during the summer. 1 ship did the Florida and Bahamas run and the other ship did the Bermuda run  

it was always a jewel class ship that did the Florida and Bahamas run like the Gem and a breakaway class ship for Bermuda

We did an NCL cruise out of NY to Bermuda before there were Breakaway class ships. Our ship was the NCL Crown in 2006. The ship was not really set up for freestyle, and was soon no longer part of the NCL fleet.

4 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

I agree and follow your train of logic entirely. "Apples & Apples" for sure!

I think @Liljo22 point is that even with MSC it still isnt FREE. However, I think you already established that when you made your comment by putting the "Free" in parenthesis. Every experienced cruiser knows that the cruise line is still going to get their money one way or another. It's either built into the cruise fare or added as a tack on fee.

I don't want to argue this all day but that's not what I am saying.  Its not that the cruise line is going to get their money one way or another.  MSC is literally charging you $220pp more to get their "free" drink package.  You get no other advantage from choosing the fare with the drink package included.  You are not getting a better category.  You aren't even getting to pick what time you want to eat dinner.  That's another $20 per person.  I am pointing out the the OP is bagging on NCL for adding $152.60 in service charges for their drink package but is perfectly ok with MSC charging them $220.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

That's not true though.  If I select either option from what I screenshot, I have the same cabins available to choose.  The difference between NCL's Sailaway rate and their Free at Sea rate is the ability to choose what cabin you want.  Since there is not difference in cabins between the two MSC options, MSC is charging you $440 in service fees for their drink package.  

Incorrect. MSC isn't charging a  service charge. They are simply giving you a choice to either select a barebones fare that doesn't allow you to pick a cabin (in most cases)  or a second option. Which is a fare that includes the drink package, internet package, and OBC. The point I was making is that NCL's Free at Sea also adds a highly grossed up service charge on top of the differance in pricing for Sailaway vs. Free at Sea. I've been sailing NCL out of NYC since the NCL Sea sailed here many moons ago. Their fares and service charges are getting a little out of hand. I am ready to try something differant. I'm sure I'll be back on NCL if price and itinerary warrant.

8 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Incorrect. MSC isn't charging a  service charge. They are simply giving you a choice to either select a barebones fare that doesn't allow you to pick a cabin (in most cases)  or a second option. Which is a fare that includes the drink package, internet package, and OBC. The point I was making is that NCL's Free at Sea also adds a highly grossed up service charge on top of the differance in pricing for Sailaway vs. Free at Sea. I've been sailing NCL out of NYC since the NCL Sea sailed here many moons ago. Their fares and service charges are getting a little out of hand. I am ready to try something differant. I'm sure I'll be back on NCL if price and itinerary warrant.

Its not though.  I been going through the NY cruises between the two options and haven't found a cruise where I don't have the ability to choose the same cabins between the two options.  Below are the same cabins for the two options.  If it makes you feel better that MSC isn't calling their upcharge for their drink package a service charge so be it.  

image.thumb.png.38205525a1f80402d193a3318e678c08.pngimage.thumb.png.0e2691ad5a6c1ff49a81d992a63ea7e0.png

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1