Does Princess Provide Ear Protection for Theater?

phroggie

I haven't cruised in a while but the last time, on Carnival, I seem to recall that after a painful performance or two, I discovered that one could ask for some form of ear protection at the guest services counter.

Does anyone know if Princess has them now? Or do I have to bring my own?

Am I alone in thinking that the twerp at the sound board doesn't have the authority to cause hearing damage? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I always bring ear plugs. The shows are unreasonably loud. 

Not just the shows ...

MUTS - All of the bands 

I really don't get why those morons who are in charge of that insist on damaging everyone's eardrums. 😵😡

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

DH. caries ear plugs in his pocket just in case there is a need. Could need them for production shows, various musical acts, loud gatherings etc.   He is always prepared 

Smart move on his part.

Depending on how facetious I feel at the moment, I usually give the offending party a sneer. 🤣😇

I was recently on a cruise.  My Apple watch notified me that I was in danger if I continued to subject myself to the decibels in the theater for more than 30 minutes.  It was registering between 100 - 110.  I walked out after the performance....straight to the CS desk and showed them my watch.  She duly noted it on their log.

I wear my hearing aids so that I can put them on mute and still hear perfectly fine.  

I attended a performance last night and it was only 80 decibels.  My son-in-law does theater tech (sound and lights) and says that 100 is way too loud.  

This has been an ongoing issue with passengers on Princess.  There is absolutely no need to have amplification this high.  I feel so bad for the CS desk....passengers have to scream across the counter to get themselves heard.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This has been an ongoing issue with passengers on Princess.  There is absolutely no need to have amplification this high.  I feel so bad for the CS desk....passengers have to scream across the counter to get themselves heard.  

It's total BS, right?

I had to repeat myself 3 times ordering a burger and fries because the poor guy at the grill couldn't hear a word I said.

Thanks to a movie playing at full blast. 

Beyond frustrating. 😡

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

It's total BS, right?

I had to repeat myself 3 times ordering a burger and fries because the poor guy at the grill couldn't hear a word I said.

Thanks to a movie playing at full blast. 

Beyond frustrating. 😡

I was going to just "like" your statement, but it deserves much more.  This is why I am rarely up on the Lido Deck.  MUTS is a great concept.  But...all day and night.  Then the nights are too cold to enjoy a movie.  How many actually watch a movie all the way through during the day?  What happened to relaxing on a cruise?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phroggie said:

I haven't cruised in a while but the last time, on Carnival, I seem to recall that after a painful performance or two, I discovered that one could ask for some form of ear protection at the guest services counter.

Does anyone know if Princess has them now? Or do I have to bring my own?

Am I alone in thinking that the twerp at the sound board doesn't have the authority to cause hearing damage? 

They usually have them at GS, but post covid, IDK.

The shows are extremely loud on some ships.  I’m more concerned about the Piazza area, the music/games volume was extremely high on our last 2 cruises, same ship, so we couldn’t have a conversation or order a drink, without repeating and or shouting.  I wish the piazza, deck 5/6/7 was more relaxing, at least in the morning. The servers didn’t like it either.
Oh well, we retreated 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Then the nights are too cold to enjoy a movie. 

This certainly depends on the area in which 'one' is cruising.

I carefully wrote 'one' so you wouldn't take it as a personal attack.

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How many actually watch a movie all the way through during the day? 

On a sea day in the carribbean, especially in the afternoon, there are usually some people watching.

The chairs are not in a special formation, but they are watching from where ever they happen to be.

How many?  Who knows.

This isn't 'A Clockwork Orange' ... people aren't tied to their chairs and forced to watch just because they are on the lido deck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was recently on a cruise.  My Apple watch notified me that I was in danger if I continued to subject myself to the decibels in the theater for more than 30 minutes.  It was registering between 100 - 110.  I walked out after the performance....straight to the CS desk and showed them my watch.  She duly noted it on their log.

I wear my hearing aids so that I can put them on mute and still hear perfectly fine.  

I attended a performance last night and it was only 80 decibels.  My son-in-law does theater tech (sound and lights) and says that 100 is way too loud.  

I have been out on deck reading and then all of a sudden, MUTS plays some odd concert really loud and I watch how everyone out by the pool gets up and leaves to another venue. I have had my watch go off also about the loud noise.

I wish someone who controls this sees everyone leaving the venue.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I have above average hearing for my age, have to carry ear plugs with me.  I've had to do this for years due to the sensitivity.  

DH worked on flightline for 23 years. Wears hearing aid but extremely sensitive to any loud noises 

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was going to just "like" your statement, but it deserves much more.  This is why I am rarely up on the Lido Deck.  MUTS is a great concept.  But...all day and night.  Then the nights are too cold to enjoy a movie.  How many actually watch a movie all the way through during the day?  What happened to relaxing on a cruise?

We love the daytime movies at the pool and so do our kids. It's boring without anything going on. There's other pools you can relax at, without MUTS. 

• Like 2

I'm reading that sensitivity to loud noise is common among the elderly and since many older people sail on Princess you would think that they could be more accommodating and adjust the volume accordingly.  

• Thanks 1

My wife carries two sets of ear plugs in her purse. They are convenient and readily available. We've used them for a couple of decades, especially in the Princess theaters (and other cruise lines as well).  We like them because you can vary them in your ear depending on the loudness.  We've long since discovered that feedback to members of the Princess staff produce no change.  And we sympathize with those we've seen simply get up and leave.

Incidentally, having them always available works wherever one goes,  They're nice in aircraft to deaden the sound, especially if there are continuous loud talkers or babies in the area.

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We love the daytime movies at the pool and so do our kids. It's boring without anything going on. There's other pools you can relax at, without MUTS. 

Are you allowed to have a contrary opinion here !!???!!!

Over time, there have been hundreds of topics here, like: I don't like 'X', so it should be removed.

If Princess read and acted on posts here, there would be nothing left on their ships, as there is no aspect that some cruiseCRITIC has not complained about.

• Like 2

The issue is not confined to any one line. Many lines see the same complaints. You can buy foam ear plugs at the dollar store. If noise bothers you, then keep them in your pocket/purse/whatever for immediate use.  

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I actually love watching a good movie on MUTS. Have watched them in the late morning/early afternoon on sea days.  If there is not a show we want to see in the Princess Theatre at night we might settle in for a movie in the evening. I will grab a blanket if its chilly. Some snacks and a drink, and thats relaxing to me!  I dont usually find most movies to be too loud but sometimes the concerts they show seem louder.