QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

@esrs

As @lissie has pointed out; Royal Caribbean, Anthem of the Seas, departs Bayonne, NJ May 1, 2023 arriving Southampton May 12, 2023 via Ponta Delgada, Cherbourg & Le Havre.

If they would permit you to disembark at Cherbourg there is an overnight ferry to Poole arriving 07:00 on May 11 if saving a day was important.

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/booking/choose-crossing/outbound

That's a site I've used for research before as well. Never booked anything with them though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, esrs said:

Oh dear. We've got a massive trip planned starting on the QM2 30 April in NY,  with weeks in the UK, a trip on the QV, and then back on QM2.  We can't fly over so the entire thing will have to be canceled if they cancel M311. 

We are doing the same. Headed to Paris for four nights after the crossing, three of which are part of a AmaWaterways package.  Then an AmaWaterways Rhone cruise that begins May 11. This is devastating. We can fly, which was our original plan, but it will cost us a small fortune now for flights. 

• Like 2

Clearly so many are worse off than since i originated from London for today's crossing.    I also learned this morning at 09:46 about the cancellation.   I am sure that many have traveled from far and wide including Cunard voyagers and are left stranded.   I am so sorry and hope your ability to resolve your situation is smooth.  I almost have a morbid interest to be at the terminal to witness the drama.  I found the curt communication on the day of sailing shocking.  There is nobody to contact nor has any of the my Cunard or sites been updated.   The right thing to do would to be to receive an individual contact or update from Cunard.   I have been cancelled on other lines with 100% refund and 100% FCC for longer notification than same day sailing.  I am shocked by the out-of-pocket this will cause many and the anticipated Cunard reply to contact my travel insurance.    Unacceptable 

• Like 2

Absolutely gutted ! This was 2 years in the planning for our 20th wedding anniversary !  We got a txt just before 10am this morning  (wasn't sure if it was a spoof txt) ..  and was due to board ar 12:15.. not happy.. but nothing wr can do..  at least the engine issues didn't occur at sea.... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lissie said:

You'd think it would be cancelled  unless she steam across and full speed in 4 days or so (as they used to in the old days - not sure that QM2 can go that fast) 

I think you're right. Even if this problem can be fixed in a few days, rushing to NY to pick up people for the EB crossing would cost a fortune in fuel. I think she might be able to do it in 5 days, certainly in 6. But 6 days empty to NY and 6 days back doesn't make financial sense, even if they could fix the problem in 2 days. 

Allowing "stranded" passengers to stay onboard for a night was at least a little consideration. But I'd like to know "while travel arrangements are sorted" means. Is this supposed to give people somewhere to stay while THEY make arrangements? Will Cunard help at all? 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 3

This makes me very nervous, I have been planning for years to do the April 30th crossing to Southampton with my dog in the kennels. If we can't go I'm going to be devastated. Also it cost me a small fortune and a lot of effort to get her certified to enter the UK! 

• Like 2

It's very easy for me, a committed Cunard client to give out the usual platitudes 'these things happen/better to be alongside than engine failure in the middle of the Atlantic' etc etc but that doesn't help anyone and I am truly sorry and really feel for all those who have had their travel plans ruined and even more so for those who will now have [uninsured?] out of pocket expenses to get home to the US etc, especially those with mountains of luggage and especially those who don't fly.

Solent Richard mentioned a charter flight.In my naivety, I would have thought that's the least Cunard could do for those sailing onto New York who would be grateful for this facility. If nothing else, it would generate slight compensatory PR for the company.

• Like 4

I guess Cunard have done the right thing by cancelling, but it sounds like it could have been handled a lot better. It seems very unlikely that QM2 will do a mad dash to New York with no passengers to be there for the next crossing. Hopefully Cunard will not keep people waiting too long before making it official. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Solent Richard mentioned a charter flight.In my naivety, I would have thought that's the least Cunard could do for those sailing onto New York who would be grateful for this facility. If nothing else, it would generate slight compensatory PR for the company.

There has been zero communication from Cunard besides the form letter I received this morning. Maybe people already in Southampton had a different experience, but I have heard absolutely *nothing* else. We're on our own to make arrangements back to the US (which we can afford to do, thankfully).

I've gotten better customer service from Amtrak. That says a lot.

• Like 2

• Host Hattie changed the title to QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

This caught them by surprise as captain was expecting it to be fixed in 36hrs at Southampton.  So sudden cancellation is nothing that can helped.

But the response in terms of what seems to be complete lack of help is completely unacceptable. 

• Like 4

Has anyone having to pay for a flight back to the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) contacted their travel insurance to see if that will pay for the flight? Insurance won't pay the cost of the cruise because Cunard is giving that back. But maybe this counts as "trip interruption" or something like that.

• Like 2

You would think Cunard Air could help with this.  They do offer flights for cruisers.  When the 2020 WC abruptly ended in Perth they did an amazing job getting flights, at a reduced rate for them, for all of us.  I’m not saying they should pay for them, but they could offer the services to those looking to get back to NY and maybe save the passengers some money.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Has anyone having to pay for a flight back to the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) contacted their travel insurance to see if that will pay for the flight? Insurance won't pay the cost of the cruise because Cunard is giving that back. But maybe this counts as "trip interruption" or something like that.

Certainly, for anyone who booked in the UK, it is covered by the package tour regs. and up to Cunard to sort it. But I imagine that is very few.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Certainly, for anyone who booked in the UK, it is covered by the package tour regs. and up to Cunard to sort it. But I imagine that is very few.

Only if they booked hotel and other elements at same time through Cunard or a travel company ,  then it becomes a package and Cunard/ travel company  have responsibility for total package. 

If they booked  just a cruise one way then all Cunard is legally responsible for is a full refund. Insurance responsibility for rest.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Good luck to all affected. 

Maybe Cunard, going forward, can schedule a short jaunt to Hamburg after World Voyage and before a TA to bake in some time in case repairs are needed after 110+ days at sea? In that case, an entire TA may not be in peril if they need a few days’ work. 
That’s my Monday morning quarterback thought…

I’m still looking forward to my 6/23 Crossing. 

• Thanks 1

People who book in the US are not required to buy travel insurance. That's done as a separate purchase. HAL offers it as an option. I don't know if Cunard does. In the post-covid startup period, I believe Cunard required insurance for UK bookings, but not US bookings. 

Coverage options in the US vary greatly, depending on how much coverage you want. I always buy independent insurance to be covered for medical emergencies and return to home if needed. I think my policy would pay for to fly me home (or pay some of the cost) as "trip interruption," if I were in the UK, expecting to board the ship to go home. 

• Like 1