Royal reclassifying Quantum rooms. What to do?

ShazM

We are doing the transpacific on Quantum next April from Brisbane to Honolulu. We booked a J4 junior suite, 6640, on the hump and had an invoice sent with the remaining balance. A couple of weeks ago I was sent an email saying that after completing an onboard stateroom audit on Quantum they found a discrepancy with the stateroom's category code so they were going to update the category but "rest assured your stateroom and amenities will remain the same.

Today I have received another email. We have gone from J4 6640 to a guaranteed J4 which was not requested by us after choosing our room. I called and was told they are reclassifying and reallocating a whole lot of rooms on Quantum and it's not just for the transpacific. Our room number has disappeared from the app and cruise planner and been replaced by GTY. Checked the cruise planner again after someone else posted and they have given us $224 AUD pre-cruise credit. Checked the balance owing after seeing another post and our room, whatever it may be, has gone up $2000.

Just thought I would ask here if any of you way more experienced cruisers have had this happen and what have you done about it.

7 minutes ago, ShazM said:

We are doing the transpacific on Quantum next April from Brisbane to Honolulu. We booked a J4 junior suite, 6640, on the hump and had an invoice sent with the remaining balance. A couple of weeks ago I was sent an email saying that after completing an onboard stateroom audit on Quantum they found a discrepancy with the stateroom's category code so they were going to update the category but "rest assured your stateroom and amenities will remain the same.

Today I have received another email. We have gone from J4 6640 to a guaranteed J4 which was not requested by us after choosing our room. I called and was told they are reclassifying and reallocating a whole lot of rooms on Quantum and it's not just for the transpacific. Our room number has disappeared from the app and cruise planner and been replaced by GTY. Checked the cruise planner again after someone else posted and they have given us $224 AUD pre-cruise credit. Checked the balance owing after seeing another post and our room, whatever it may be, has gone up $2000.

Just thought I would ask here if any of you way more experienced cruisers have had this happen and what have you done about it.

I wouldn't except a GTY. RCs mistake not yours.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShazM said:

Are you saying they have billed you an additional 2000 for the cruise or they are crediting you 2000?   If charging you 2k more, how can they even do that?   

It can take some time for revenue mgnt to touch each impacted booking and manually adjust it. 

Back in 2019 Royal changed some Star class suites on Quantum class and made them Sky class.  Imagine that disappointment 

• Like 2

Would not accept this.  You picked a cabin not a gty.  The 1st email indicated you were keeping your cab8n.  I'd start by calling and remind them.  Good luck.  Btw a gty is usually less expensive than choosing your cabin.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

Are you saying they have billed you an additional 2000 for the cruise or they are crediting you 2000?   If charging you 2k more, how can they even do that?   

Our balance owing has increased by $2000 which has only happened this morning.

26 minutes ago, ShazM said:

Our balance owing has increased by $2000 which has only happened this morning.

That should be easily enough fixed.  Your price was just automatically changed to the current rate when they changed your category.  It just needs manual intervention to special fare and price protect your booking.  This is common in situations like this.  Quite likely it is already in a queue waiting to be processed and most people who never checked would not even notice the price had increased and then was fixed.  That being said I would still call to get it corrected.

Unfortunately about the cabin you are pretty much at their mercy on that one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That should be easily enough fixed.  Your price was just automatically changed to the current rate when they changed your category.  It just needs manual intervention to special fare and price protect your booking.  This is common in situations like this.  Quite likely it is already in a queue waiting to be processed and most people who never checked would not even notice the price had increased and then was fixed.  That being said I would still call to get it corrected.

Unfortunately about the cabin you are pretty much at their mercy on that one. 

Thank you. I just don't get why they would even do this. People who have booked the disabled cabins and also interconnecting rooms are concerned

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShazM said:

Thank you. I just don't get why they would even do this. People who have booked the disabled cabins and also interconnecting rooms are concerned

The other thing that I have seen is that you are moved temporarily out of your stateroom while they reclassify the cabin and then moved back in to the same cabin.  It has to do with system limitations where they cannot change the category if the room is occupied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we did a lift & shift from Rhapsody to Harmony in 2021, our invoice showed a balance due of $6000 more.  As others have indicated, it required manual adjustment and was fixed in about 10 days.  Another great reason to use a TA.  She handled it all & stayed on top of it til it was fixed.

• Like 2

Well crud....

Dear Guest,

After completing an onboard stateroom audit of Quantum of the Seas, we found a discrepancy with your stateroom's category code, so we'll have to update its categorization on our August 19, 2024 sailing.

Rest assured, your stateroom and all your amenities will remain the same. Kindly note, your reservation will be temporarily unavailable through May 10th, 2023 while we make these adjustments in the system.

Just got this a few minutes ago....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Well crud....

Dear Guest,

After completing an onboard stateroom audit of Quantum of the Seas, we found a discrepancy with your stateroom's category code, so we'll have to update its categorization on our August 19, 2024 sailing.

Rest assured, your stateroom and all your amenities will remain the same. Kindly note, your reservation will be temporarily unavailable through May 10th, 2023 while we make these adjustments in the system.

Just got this a few minutes ago....

Same email myself and a whole lot of others received. Somewhere before then you will probably get another one saying your room is now GTY and your balance will increase if you check your cruise planner. Ours should be fixed hopefully in the next day or so. I called them again yesterday and the put the amount owing back to what was originally. 

We had a similar problem when they changed the ship we were due to sail on, to Wonder for last May. We had four cabins booked in a row. RCCL and our travel agent kept telling us we had to wait till a particular date for our bookings to be re adjusted. 

I wish we hadn’t.

When they eventually reassigned the cabins they weren’t together at all. I spent hours on the phone to both travel agent and RCCL.

I wasn’t prepared to accept what was offered, so emailed the CEO. In very little time I was able to negotiate new, higher grade cabins together..but it took much time and dogged determination on my behalf. We were fortunate and ended up with better than we had originally booked. We only had one specific week that our whole party could travel, so were limited with our options.

My advice would be to get in touch with RCCL (directly, even if booked through agent) and not accept anything you are not 100% happy with..and certainly refuse any price increase.

Edited by Reina del Mar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We had a similar problem when they changed the ship we were due to sail on, to Wonder for last May. We had four cabins booked in a row. RCCL and our travel agent kept telling us we had to wait till a particular date for our bookings to be re adjusted. 

I wish we hadn’t.

When they eventually reassigned the cabins they weren’t together at all. I spent hours on the phone to both travel agent and RCCL.

I wasn’t prepared to accept what was offered, so emailed the CEO. In very little time I was able to negotiate new, higher grade cabins together..but it took much time and dogged determination on my behalf. We were fortunate and ended up with better than we had originally booked. We only had one specific week that our whole party could travel, so were limited with our options.

My advice would be to get in touch with RCCL (directly, even if booked through agent) and not accept anything you are not 100% happy with..and certainly refuse any price increase.

Thank you. My very first thought when we got the original email a couple of weeks ago was whether they were going to change the ship but I haven't heard anything about that. We did book direct and I called them 2 days ago and they manually changed the balance owing back to what it was. Still waiting on the room though. They were full of apologies and said we shouldn't have to be making these phone calls. It will be interesting to see what happens next.