Bottled water

Scotto97

What's the deal with NCL and bottled water? It seems it is not included in their "3 for Free" drink package whereas every other cruise line includes it. Also, the water you can purchase ahead of time is in paper cartons which tastes like cardboard. Is this just a blatant money grab?

Bottled water has never been included in NCLs standard beverage package. It is included in the upgraded one at an additional cost.

They didn’t release the press release explaining whether it was a blatant money grab or otherwise, so it is up to the individual to draw their own conclusion.

My bottled water - 

32oz WM_Slate_Blue_Front

filled in the room or the buffet (be sure to use a glass, DON'T fill directly).  The water the ship produces (produced through either reverse osmosis or distillation) is probably as good or better than bottled in some plant that's just using a city water supply.  6 cruises on 5 different ships with 2 different cruise lines and I always used this 'bottled water plan', never an issue.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hallux said:

My bottled water - 

32oz WM_Slate_Blue_Front

filled in the room or the buffet (be sure to use a glass, DON'T fill directly).  The water the ship produces (produced through either reverse osmosis or distillation) is probably as good or better than bottled in some plant that's just using a city water supply.  6 cruises on 5 different ships with 2 different cruise lines and I always used this 'bottled water plan', never an issue.

i use these that actually keep your water cold for more than 10 minutes.  

I also bring an assortment of crystal lite packages with me.     
fill it with ice and it can last all day with out having to add more ice.    

and I never use a glass to fill.    I just make sure to never touch anything when filling.    It dirtier just pushing the refill button that hundreds of other people have touched to get water in the buffet.    

and I also get ice daily and store it in my cabin cooler to last longer.    This way I have ice all day as well.   Instead of leaving it on the desk to melt in a few hours.     

3 cruises.  30 days at sea and 3 different cruise lines.  

BDEC1800-EA8A-4C2B-A872-3D1340707549.jpeg

Edited by Cruise5life

9 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

i use these that actually keep your water cold for more than 10 minutes

Yeah, I have a couple vacuum-insulated aluminum bottles that I'm now bringing, in addition to the Nalgene.  I bring multiple as I use them for excursions.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Yeah, I have a couple vacuum-insulated aluminum bottles that I'm now bringing, in addition to the Nalgene.  I bring multiple as I use them for excursions.

I’ve researched many of the travel water bottles being a ups driver and found the swell and yeti to be the best when it comes to holding ice for long periods of time. Even with it sitting on the dash.   
I can fill I big yeti with ice and take it with me on excursions and it will last all day.  
Best investments I’ve made.   
I use them daily in the Nevada heat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

What's the deal with NCL and bottled water? It seems it is not included in their "3 for Free" drink package whereas every other cruise line includes it. Also, the water you can purchase ahead of time is in paper cartons which tastes like cardboard. Is this just a blatant money grab?

NCL gives you the drink package for free, whilst other cruise lines charge you for the package. 

The NCL package has never included bottled water, sports drinks, or energy drinks. That's the package. I am sure if they included those drinks, they would increase the price of their package. 

Water from your stateroom tap is perfectly fine for consumption. I use it every night to bath and to brush my teeth. 

Carton water (like milk in cartons) is to be more environmentally friendly. I have been drinking milk and juice from cartons for decades, haven't you? And the cartons have no taste to them, unless you start chewing on the containers, I suppose. It goes with paper or compostable straws. Many companies, including McDonalds around us, have gone to paper and compostable containers and straws to be friendlier to our planet. 

4 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

i use these that actually keep your water cold for more than 10 minutes.  

I also bring an assortment of crystal lite packages with me.     
fill it with ice and it can last all day with out having to add more ice.    

and I never use a glass to fill.    I just make sure to never touch anything when filling.    It dirtier just pushing the refill button that hundreds of other people have touched to get water in the buffet.    

and I also get ice daily and store it in my cabin cooler to last longer.    This way I have ice all day as well.   Instead of leaving it on the desk to melt in a few hours.     

3 cruises.  30 days at sea and 3 different cruise lines.  

BDEC1800-EA8A-4C2B-A872-3D1340707549.jpeg

We also take an assortment of Yetis with us and have been very happy with their usefulness both on the ship and off the ship doing excursions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Other lines have different restrictions on the drink packages.  For example, number of drinks at a time, number of drinks in a day, $ limits, brands included.  

These are NCL's restrictions, accept them or chose a line that better suits you.  

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The NCL package has never included bottled water, sports drinks, or energy drinks. That's the package. I am sure if they included those drinks, they would increase the price of their package.

I would like to correct that the free package does not include water, sports drinks, energy drinks, or top-shelf alcohol. If you get the "Plus" package, it does. 

9 hours ago, mistertomatoe said:

It is absolutely a money grab like all decisions by NCL but a very strange one. Why exclude your boxed (generic) water from your already expensive open bar package? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guess I'll order alcohol free beer instead of water then. Stupid that I can get a free bottle of beer but must pay for a bottle of water. Considering the "Free" drink  package cost $300 in tips vs less than $100 in tips on other cruise lines, I still think it ridiculous. But readers of these boards know each line's cheerleader's will come to it's quick defense.

• Like 3

Sorry to jump in with a question here; Am I right in thinking we get ~3/6 bottles of the water when we arrive on the ship? Also, we do have water bottles which we'll bring aboard to fill up at the stations, but do we also get free extra bottles, as we've got the free at sea plus package and paid the extra to upgrade... or do we have to pay for any extra ones [which we wouldn't do as we have the refillable ones]?

2 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

Considering the "Free" drink  package cost $300 in tips vs less than $100 in tips on other cruise lines, I still think it ridiculous.

Nothing is actually free when it comes to cruising. The toilet paper in your stateroom isn't free. You're paying for things in one way or another. 

NCL's promo "gives" the package but you pay $21.80 per person per day (20% of the normal cost of the package) in charges. The positive side is that you can have 100 drinks per day and not pay anything additional. If your drink is over $15, you pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. 

The negative side is that certain things aren't included in the promo package. You always have the option to upgrade the package (at a cost) to include more or to not select the promo and pay for drinks a la carte (plus 20%). Weigh the options and select whichever is best for you. 

I'm fine with the promo package. Some people skip the promo. Some people upgrade to the Premium Plus package. Some people just get the Starbucks package. Some people just order a case of boxed water. Not everyone wants the same thing so there is no way for NCL to have a package that fits everyone. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SofaSogood said:

Sorry to jump in with a question here; Am I right in thinking we get ~3/6 bottles of the water when we arrive on the ship? Also, we do have water bottles which we'll bring aboard to fill up at the stations, but do we also get free extra bottles, as we've got the free at sea plus package and paid the extra to upgrade... or do we have to pay for any extra ones [which we wouldn't do as we have the refillable ones]?

If you booked your cruise during the right promotion period, you should receive jugs of water in the room. (It was during a specific time period Fall 2022).

If you purchased the Free at Sea Plus Beverage Package, you may ask for "Flow" water jugs, or bottles of San Pellegrino sparkling water (in glass so not good for excursions). 

Also included in the Premium Plus • Sodas and Premium bottled water • Fresh juices • Energy drinks and BioSteel sports drink selections.

32 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

Guess I'll order alcohol free beer instead of water then. Stupid that I can get a free bottle of beer but must pay for a bottle of water. Considering the "Free" drink  package cost $300 in tips vs less than $100 in tips on other cruise lines, I still think it ridiculous. But readers of these boards know each line's cheerleader's will come to it's quick defense.

No cheerleading. Stating facts.

Other cruise lines charge you for the beverage package. Other cruise lines charge you tip. Fact. 

You can get a NCL "Plus" beverage package with unlimited boxed water, energy drinks, sports drinks. But, you don't want to get a beverage package with boxed water. Fact. 

You don't want boxed water because you think it tastes different. But you complain that you can't get it. Fact. 

You can order a vodka red bull, but not a red bull by itself. Fact. 

You can drink club soda, but not sparkling water. Fact. 

You can drink as much water at a bar, restaurant, stateroom as you want. Fact. 

You can fill up your own water bottle, using a clean cup and never placing it at a dispenser. Fact.

Not sure why all the fuss. Fact. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

But I’d rather pay $20 a day vs. $70 or so on another line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL gives you the drink package for free, whilst other cruise lines charge you for the package. 

(Snipped)

I hate to correct you but the the NCL premium beverage pack did include bottled water and even specialty coffee with meals …. If you booked as a customer from Europe back in 2017/18. I had them for my first couple of NCL cruises

Just bring your own bottle and fill it up at the buffet.  It is not a money grab tt is called paying for whta you use,  Niw when they start with bagged air (probably woudl be bought by the same people who pay for water( that will be a money grab.  Evere notice that Evian spelled backwards is Naive.  Says all that needs to be said about bottled water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I hate to correct you but the the NCL premium beverage pack did include bottled water and even specialty coffee with meals …. If you booked as a customer from Europe back in 2017/18. I had them for my first couple of NCL cruises

That isn't quite correct.

NCL offered a deal for European cruisers which included water, coffee and prepaid service charge on top of the free at sea offers. However, the water was a specific extra line on the reservation and was in addition to the beverage package, not included in it. The beverage package itself did not include any water.

Only a slight difference, but it does mean that BirdTravels was correct.

We also used that deal a few times. The 45 litres of water in our room on one cruise caused some storage issues. 🙂

2 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

That isn't quite correct.

NCL offered a deal for European cruisers which included water, coffee and prepaid service charge on top of the free at sea offers. However, the water was a specific extra line on the reservation and was in addition to the beverage package, not included in it. The beverage package itself did not include any water.

Only a slight difference, but it does mean that BirdTravels was correct.

We also used that deal a few times. The 45 litres of water in our room on one cruise caused some storage issues. 🙂

Disagree because of how it was sold, when I was booking I never got all the free at sea offers, I could only pick 2 which were usually the internet and beverage plan. That European-specific version of the beverage plan included the bottled water and coffee but yes some additional codes appeared on the reservation to handle the European exclusive stuff.  

19 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Disagree because of how it was sold, when I was booking I never got all the free at sea offers, I could only pick 2 which were usually the internet and beverage plan. That European-specific version of the beverage plan included the bottled water and coffee but yes some additional codes appeared on the reservation to handle the European exclusive stuff.  

We will have to disagree then, but the water was absolutely not part of the beverage package, however it was sold to you.

Edited by KeithJenner