A Coronation and Live From 12 Day British Isles on the Regal

Steelers0854

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for doing a Live From. Hope you have a wonderful sailing and Bon Voyage!"

Steelers0854 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Welcome to our Live From British Isles 12 Day round trip from Southhampton cruise!  We are so excited for this trip as we had this sailing originally planned for Spring 2021 and of course that got cancelled because of “he who shall not be named.”

We are DINKS in our 30s and DW has several food allergies (gluten, dairy and eggs) so expect some commentary on how easy it is for her to find things abroad.  We have been to other parts of Europe but this is our first foray into the UK and France so we are hoping its as easy for her as it was in other parts of Europe.  Fingers crossed!

We booked this trip well over a year ago.  Originally it was planned for the Emerald, which we have sailed previously and do enjoy the older ships with their layout, but several months ago they changed the ship to the Regal Princess, which is a great ship so we aren’t too disappointed.  But we haven’t been on one of the Grand Class ships in quite a while and do miss them.

Here is our itinerary for the upcoming cruise.image.thumb.png.8885a5bfcbff053b4efba2d4d4b2e859.png

So we are starting our journey a little early.  Our plan is going to London 2 days before we board and stay a full extra day in Paris before heading home.  So when we booked our plans we land on Saturday May 5, which was perfect as we can leave after work on Friday and land in the morning on Saturday.  That was until they announced King Charles’ coronation date…….. Saturday May 5.  Thankfully we are planners and booked our hotels well in advance otherwise we would have been in pretty deep trouble or broke.  Even more exciting we are staying a literal block away from Westminster Abbey.  So it should be VERY interesting with all the goings-on and we have packed extra pairs of our patience pants.

When we do excursions we generally book through the cruise line.  Yup, totally realize we can save money by booking on our own, and that those options offer greater flexibility and potentially even more choices.  But, i am generally risk adverse, and the fact that if something happens and I miss the ship, especially on excursions that are hours away from the port, that I have to worry about nothing, that for me is worth the small drawbacks.  So here is what we have planned for this trip:

Portland, England: Stonehenge

Cork, Ireland: Best of Cork and Countryside (Blarney Castle & Kinsale)

Dublin, Ireland: Best of Dublin (St Patricks Cathedral, Trinity College, Dublin Castle)

Belfast, Northern Ireland: Best of Giants Causeway and Atrium Coast

Invergordon, Scotland: Loch Ness, Urquhart & Cawdor Castles

Edinburgh, Scotland: Best of Edinburgh (Holyrood Palace, Royal Mile & Edinburgh Castle, Princess Street)

Le Havre, France: Normandy Landing Beaches

We started this journey with a blunder on my part.  I am still not used to the new dining system, so Ive never given it a second thought as we have always elected to do a traditional early seating.  We did have to select our dining on our last cruise in June but I just plain forgot for this one.  So about 2 weeks before sailing I finally remembered and was only able to get a 7:40 standing reservation.  Kind of late for us, but not horrible, we have some later excursions but I still would have preferred a 7.  I know we can just not book anything and show up, but with DW’s allergies its just easier to have the same wait staff each night, plus we really enjoy having the same staff throughout the cruise.  But i kept checking back in the app periodically and it finally gave me more options about 8 days before boarding and i got us a 7pm dining time, perfect.

We switched to T-Mobile last year from ATT.  Best decision we have made.  We get 5GB of data and unlimited texting (voice calls $0.25 per min) while overseas for no extra charge.  This is honestly game changing.  I did pay for this trip for the 15GB add on for 30 days since we are gone for so long, but even at $50 thats also well worth it and it gives me all my calls for free.  Best phone plan ever, plus it was less expensive than we paid for ATT.  I used to have Google Fi for when we traveled overseas, this is so much easier and cheaper as well.  Amazing.

We did the base price for this cruise, when we booked it (over 14 months ago) I think they may have just started the original Plus program, but we wouldn’t get the benefit from it so just went with the base fare.  Our medallions shipped for free and we got them about 2 weeks ahead of boarding, which is great as I was hoping we would get them somewhat early since we are leaving early for the trip.

We depart tomorrow, so we will pick up then

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

but with DW’s allergies its just easier to have the same wait staff each night, plus we really enjoy having the same staff throughout the cruise

Just because you have booked the same time every night,  it does not automatically follow that you will have the same staff. On our recent cruise, we had a standing 8pm reservation, and only had the same staff twice.

19 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

King Charles’ coronation date…….. Saturday May 5

Actually it is on Saturday May 6th

I would also add that if you are arriving in Heathrow on the Saturday morning that you may have problems getting to your hotel if it is near Westminster Abbey as many of the roads will be closed (some from 06:00) and there will be a lot of people around.

Edited by david63

Following!  Doing this exact sailing in September and looking forward to your take on things.  We’ve also booked the Princess excursions for every port, so it will be interesting to read all about your daily adventures.  

I also would ask that you change your font size if possible.  Even with glasses I’m having a hard time reading it and I don’t want to miss anything!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looking forward to your report.

Do you think you could change the font size ? It is not easy to read at present.

yea I’ll do my best. I write these in word and then paste into here. CC likes to mess with the formatting and it’s really annoying. 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just because you have booked the same time every night,  it does not automatically follow that you will have the same staff. On our recent cruise, we had a standing 8pm reservation, and only had the same staff twice.

that’s interesting. We did this in Alaska last year and got the same table even every night. Guess we will see what happens!  Thanks for letting us know so we can expect this. 

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Actually it is on Saturday May 6th

I would also add that if you are arriving in Heathrow on the Saturday morning that you may have problems getting to your hotel if it is near Westminster Abbey as many of the roads will be closed (some from 06:00) and there will be a lot of people around.

yup. Our hotel has been fantastic. They reached out a head of time and are working with us. They asked for our itinerary and arrival method, provided us with a number to text etc. so yea there really isn’t much we can do other than to be patient and expect it to be a nightmare. I think Heathrow may have lockers to check luggage. When we arrive we will text the hotel and see what they state of affairs is. Maybe we can check our bags and then go back and get them?  Fingers crossed it all works out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

yea I’ll do my best. I write these in word and then paste into here. CC likes to mess with the formatting and it’s really annoying. 

that’s interesting. We did this in Alaska last year and got the same table even every night. Guess we will see what happens!  Thanks for letting us know so we can expect this. 

yup. Our hotel has been fantastic. They reached out a head of time and are working with us. They asked for our itinerary and arrival method, provided us with a number to text etc. so yea there really isn’t much we can do other than to be patient and expect it to be a nightmare. I think Heathrow may have lockers to check luggage. When we arrive we will text the hotel and see what they state of affairs is. Maybe we can check our bags and then go back and get them?  Fingers crossed it all works out. 

I’m sure it will work out just fine!  And, you’ll have a story to tell, that is for sure.  Look at it as part of your big adventure.  Have a fabulous cruise and I can’t wait to read all about it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m sure it will work out just fine!  And, you’ll have a story to tell, that is for sure.  Look at it as part of your big adventure.  Have a fabulous cruise and I can’t wait to read all about it!

That’s exactly our attitude going in. And hey we can say we were in London when the monarch was crowned. And that’s awesome!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Maybe we can check our bags and then go back and get them?

Heathrow to central London is a good hour each way - on a good day and this will definitely not be a good day.

I think you need a plan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

That’s exactly our attitude going in. And hey we can say we were in London when the monarch was crowned. And that’s awesome!

I really like your attitude, but as you are a planner would be good to have a back up just in case.

you can get a National Express Bus from Heathrow to Southampton usual journey time about 2 hours.

you could go to Southampton and book a day trip to Stonehenge from there (subject to availability) it’s half the distance Southampton to Stonehenge, rather than Portland to Stonehenge. 

@Steelers0854

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We sailed the British Isles on Princess last May and it was fabulous! The Regal is one of our favorite Princess ships and I am sure you will enjoy.

As long as you inform the Headwaiter in the dining room about dietary needs, I am sure you will be taken care of, even if you change the time and/ or a table.

LHR and London are crazy enough even without an imminent  coronation. As has been suggested, it may not hurt to have a back up plan such as getting a private transfer from LHR to Southampton and spending time there instead. The National Express departs from LHR to Southampton.

Either way, you will have a wonderful time!

We did this exact itinerary in 2019 on the Crown.  We count it as one of our top 5...and near the top of *that* list!  I believe you will have an amazing time!  Don't forget to kiss the Blarney Stone...and say "hey" to Nessie for us!

• Like 1

Day -3 Departure

It’s finally time to start our journey.  We board our first flight in a few hours before our overnight flight tonight and with a connection are scheduled to land around 11am UK time.  We booked business class tickets for this trip using points and are connecting in Belgium.  I’m hoping I understand how it works in Belgium, from what I can tell our bags will transfer (its a different airline but a codeshare flight and booked all through United) and that since we are staying airside I’m hoping we don’t have to go through customs etc.  I was a little confused because there is a differentiation between Schengen and non-Schengen flights.  So we are going from a non-Schengen county through a Schengen country to another non-Schengen country.  sooooo yea i have no idea.  We have 2 1/2 hours to figure it out so I’m hopeful we will be ok.

• Like 5

Day -3 Departure cont.

We arrived into Dulles Airport with enough time to enjoy the Polaris lounge. This is separate from the United Club and is only available to those flying in the Polaris class of service, you cannot buy a pass. Inside was a beautiful huge lounge that was redone about 3 years ago and it shows. Individual bathrooms with lights on the outside to indicate if it’s in use and a buffet that has a very large assortment of hot and cold items. We very much appreciated them indicating allergens on the cards identifying the food. The real star here is the dining room. They offer a small but very nice menu to choose from and there is not charge for anything including the alcohol. I already feel like I’m on the cruise!

IMG_9102.thumb.jpeg.bc42ab579509833bd809d07d1962afd7.jpeg

IMG_9099.thumb.jpeg.6aa49cf42c168657bc2efb5efe530cff.jpeg

DW got a salad and a hamburger (sans bun). She was also going to swing into the buffet as they had a soups that looked good and an extensive salad bar.

IMG_9101.thumb.jpeg.140a8f9d4431af470f537625df66e19e.jpeg

IMG_9091.thumb.jpeg.ffca200bb24cbf152b800c4fd3ac0f8c.jpeg

I got the croque madame, the char su pork and the burger. The server said the portions were small and when I asked for a recommendation she just said she would bring me both.

IMG_9096.thumb.jpeg.9a00a67cfdd5af4ae48f85acbb818fc1.jpeg

IMG_9092.thumb.jpeg.05b0b115714f2f86ecab44e07578e0ee.jpeg

IMG_9094.thumb.jpeg.8fc84fa392d72f155fee53890635cf8e.jpeg

IMG_9095.thumb.jpeg.30c28053f0a7b86265fd732e08345431.jpeg

IMG_9093.thumb.jpeg.60438b6218c51e3865bc399b15f5c8a1.jpeg

Was it the best meal ever? No but it’s a really nice perk and a wonderful experience. The staff was also lovely. The salad was fresh and dressing was excellent, the egg on the croque madame was cooked perfectly. The pork was delicious, tender and juicy and the rice was full of flavor. The burger was also solid. If you only got one I would go with the pork. Yea it was that good.

IMG_9090.thumb.jpeg.0940134bdee07f81126aa3fe5f45b2b9.jpeg

IMG_9089.thumb.jpeg.e6038ec8553159b727f161f3f2d8e687.jpeg

The staff didn’t seem super confident on the allergy situation so DW avoided the fries as they had a small batter on them, which could have been rice flour but we didn’t want to risk it. Plus the buffet had mashed potatoes she could eat.

IMG_9097.thumb.jpeg.2be1c8e0db6dc8b26fae3a7e5be34861.jpeg

IMG_9098.thumb.jpeg.107d9ba917aad25e8ea1383ffe15281c.jpeg

IMG_9088.thumb.jpeg.0130dba4daa648daf75083cddde37808.jpeg

DW got the blood orange sorbet and I got the chocolate cookie skillet. We confirmed the sorbet was vegan, it’s because of the cookie crumbles they list it as vegetarian. The sorbet was refreshing and flavorful with a hint of orange. The cookie skillet was outstanding. If I ever come back I’m just gonna get 4 of those!

The lounge definitely gets busy. It’s not just outbound passengers but those coming in from international flights that are connecting as well. But thankfully the space is big enough it’s not too big of an issue.

It wasn’t long before it was time for us to board and head to Belgium.

IMG_9088.jpeg

IMG_9099.jpeg

Edited by Steelers0854
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

Day -3 Departure cont.

We arrived into Dulles Airport with enough time to enjoy the Polaris lounge. This is separate from the United Club and is only available to those flying in the Polaris class of service, you cannot buy a pass. Inside was a beautiful huge lounge that was redone about 3 years ago and it shows. Individual bathrooms with lights on the outside to indicate if it’s in use and a buffet that has a very large assortment of hot and cold items. We very much appreciated them indicating allergens on the cards identifying the food. The real star here is the dining room. They offer a small but very nice menu to choose from and there is not charge for anything including the alcohol. I already feel like I’m on the cruise!

IMG_9102.thumb.jpeg.bc42ab579509833bd809d07d1962afd7.jpeg

IMG_9099.thumb.jpeg.6aa49cf42c168657bc2efb5efe530cff.jpeg

DW got a salad and a hamburger (sans bun). She was also going to swing into the buffet as they had a soups that looked good and an extensive salad bar.

IMG_9101.thumb.jpeg.140a8f9d4431af470f537625df66e19e.jpeg

IMG_9091.thumb.jpeg.ffca200bb24cbf152b800c4fd3ac0f8c.jpeg

I got the croque madame, the char su pork and the burger. The server said the portions were small and when I asked for a recommendation she just said she would bring me both.

IMG_9096.thumb.jpeg.9a00a67cfdd5af4ae48f85acbb818fc1.jpeg

IMG_9092.thumb.jpeg.05b0b115714f2f86ecab44e07578e0ee.jpeg

IMG_9094.thumb.jpeg.8fc84fa392d72f155fee53890635cf8e.jpeg

IMG_9095.thumb.jpeg.30c28053f0a7b86265fd732e08345431.jpeg

IMG_9093.thumb.jpeg.60438b6218c51e3865bc399b15f5c8a1.jpeg

Was it the best meal ever? No but it’s a really nice perk and a wonderful experience. The staff was also lovely. The salad was fresh and dressing was excellent, the egg on the croque madame was cooked perfectly. The pork was delicious, tender and juicy and the rice was full of flavor. The burger was also solid. If you only got one I would go with the pork. Yea it was that good.

IMG_9090.thumb.jpeg.0940134bdee07f81126aa3fe5f45b2b9.jpeg

IMG_9089.thumb.jpeg.e6038ec8553159b727f161f3f2d8e687.jpeg

The staff didn’t seem super confident on the allergy situation so DW avoided the fries as they had a small batter on them, which could have been rice flour but we didn’t want to risk it. Plus the buffet had mashed potatoes she could eat.

IMG_9097.thumb.jpeg.2be1c8e0db6dc8b26fae3a7e5be34861.jpeg

IMG_9098.thumb.jpeg.107d9ba917aad25e8ea1383ffe15281c.jpeg

IMG_9088.thumb.jpeg.0130dba4daa648daf75083cddde37808.jpeg

DW got the blood orange sorbet and I got the chocolate cookie skillet. We confirmed the sorbet was vegan, it’s because of the cookie crumbles they list it as vegetarian. The sorbet was refreshing and flavorful with a hint of orange. The cookie skillet was outstanding. If I ever come back I’m just gonna get 4 of those!

The lounge definitely gets busy. It’s not just outbound passengers but those coming in from international flights that are connecting as well. But thankfully the space is big enough it’s not too big of an issue.

It wasn’t long before it was time for us to board and head to Belgium.

IMG_9088.jpeg

IMG_9099.jpeg

Somehow, I think the food in the lounge might surpass anything you get onboard! 

Day -3 Departure cont

It was an uneventful flight. DW had preordered a vegan meal, they have limited options and she could have either selected vegan or gluten free but not both. So vegan is generally the better way to go as often times it will either come gluten free or it’s fairly easy to identify what may have gluten. They confirmed her meal when we boarded and she got a green chickpea curry with coconut rice and a salad. She said both were good. For breakfast they provided muesli with apples which she said was just ok.  

IMG_9108.thumb.jpeg.15b320064242e9af7bd48080a069ed57.jpeg

I got for dinner short ribs, a type of chicken salad (mayonnaise based) and soba noodles. It was actually quite good, but obviously the lounge food will win this one.

Even in lie flat seats I always struggle to sleep. This flight was also fairly bumpy so it made it harder to sleep. DW was out like a light but I didn’t get much sleep.

Brussels airport isn’t much to look at. But it also wasn’t the worst airport I’ve been in. Our business class seats got us into a nice lounge and we didn’t have long before our connection. We arrived in the B gates and our outbound flight was also in the B terminal. Couldn’t have been easier.

IMG_9109.thumb.jpeg.e1a0f4177e06baf7f136cd50b062207b.jpeg

when in Brussels I feel compelled to get a waffle. They didn’t disappoint, especially for free!

• Like 4

When you arrive at the port in Southampton, if you see guy being dragged off the ship against his will, that will be me.

We boarded at port everglades on April 16h. and disembark Monday.

You are in for absolutely wonderful  experience.. Th crew is outstanding. the food good to excellent, and the ship is in great polished condition. 

No doubt this experience rates in the top 3 of our 30 cruises...

A few of the complaints I have overheard from fellow passengers are minor in nature  to  simply ridiculous, and not worth mentioning.

Hope you have aa safe and memorable cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Day -2 London Arrival and Coronation Day!

We had originally booked a car service from Heathrow to the hotel.   Well 4 days before leaving the company contacted me and due to road closures they had to cancel our pickup, so looks like we are using the tube!  I kind of figured this would happen, we are so close to Westminster Abbey I couldn’t imagine that we could drive there, but i still held out hope.

Also because of the coronation I didnt book much in London in advance.  I figured its going to be a mad house and we could just go with the flow.  But I did book a ticket on a hop on and off cruise. The best part is an onboarding stop is literally right by our hotel.  I really wanted to be able to see the sites at night and this is a 24 hour pass meaning we can use it any time we may for the 24 hours following when we board the first time.  So excited to try this out.

We are staying at the Conrad London St James.  The hotel reached out to us about 5 days before our checkin.  They asked about our arrival time, any allergies, and everyone’s names.  I thought this was a nice touch.

We landed on time and breezes through passport control in about 15 minutes. Easy peesy. We beat our bags out so had to wait for those. Once we got our bags we headed to the underground and caught the tube to Victoria station. St James station was closed due to the coronation but thankfully Victoria isn’t but a 10 minute walk. Still dragging suitcases in the rain was less than ideal but it wasn’t a heavy rain thankfully. We had to bob and weave our way through closed roads and check points. It was all so well organized with a wonderful mix of volunteers, law enforcement and military folks. We simply had to show our hotel reservation and were directed through several check points. We got to the hotel about 12:15pm. Our room wasn’t ready but they checked our bags and we started walking around. We figured we would just see if we can find a spot to see the concluding procession and if not then no big deal. Crowds were definitely here but honestly weren’t as bad as I had expected. We found a spot closer to the palace and waited. It was really cool to be here for this and I’m glad we tried to see it in person.

IMG_9155.thumb.jpeg.d6952be3d0dc1c48a3804f509903e631.jpeg

IMG_9137.thumb.jpeg.991664ba6b1cf24d842c465fb46052ee.jpeg

They did such a wonderful job organizing it and quite literally everywhere you turned there was some official to answer questions and direct traffic flows. We got really lucky as we bee lined it as soon as we saw the king. There was a major traffic jam leaving as there was a single choke point to cross a closed street. They only let people cross every now and then as people from the procession used that street to leave and they were given priority. I feel bad for the people behind us. We had to wait a while and we’re literally packed in. Thankfully after about 20 minutes we crossed the street and were home free.

We headed back to the hotel for a breather before dinner. We passed on the hop on hop off cruise. The pickup spot is right in the thick of things and we didn’t want to deal with that crowd again.

• Like 12