Minor itinerary rant re:Hawaii

pinebro

Booked a nearly perfect itinerary Edge Vancouver to Honolulu Sept 20, 2024.

overnights in 3 ports Hilo Kona Lahaina. 1st stop is Astoria (nice, but not Hawaii!)

I wish Astoria was replaced by Kauai, or overnight in Honolulu. Thanks for listening!

Cruise on!

2 hours ago, pinebro said:

Booked a nearly perfect itinerary Edge Vancouver to Honolulu Sept 20, 2024.

overnights in 3 ports Hilo Kona Lahaina. 1st stop is Astoria (nice, but not Hawaii!)

I wish Astoria was replaced by Kauai, or overnight in Honolulu. Thanks for listening!

Cruise on!

We're on this cruise also.

I thought the Astoria port thing was  odd port and agree, your option would be much better! I expect there is some reasoning to having Astoria in there though. 🤔

Overnight in Honolulu would have my supercharged vote, but sadly I expect it is only a dream. 😋

We are on the same cruise.  It was originally a 12 night cruise departing on Sep 21.  Due to scheduling issues with the port of Vancouver, it was changed to 13 nights departing Sep 20.  When we found out we had our fingers crossed we would get an extra night in Hawaii.  When we found out Astoria was added we were disappointed, mostly because the cruise was now going to cost us an extra roughly $800 for the extra day, which we hadn't signed up for. We were given the option to cancel with no penalty.  Bonus for us was we were actually onboard the Edge on a Caribbean cruise when we found out.  So we cancelled and rebooked and got the additional OBC for booking on board.   Will be our first trip to Hawaii (and to Astoria 😉 ) so all is good!

There is a roll call for our cruise if you are interested in joining.  There was some discussion on the date/itinerary change.  Here is the link:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JKHawaii said:

Refueling Stop?

Cruise lines still losing money, trying to reign in costs.

Fuel is very likely cheaper in Astoria than in Vancouver or Hawaii.

That could be it. Refueling in a US (non-Hawaiin) port would likely be cheaper than Vancouver.

If we're going to do minor rants, I wish my Caribbean cruises would all stop in Key West, and then head down to the ABC's to overnight in each port.  I also wish there were options for 14 night Caribbean cruises like there used to be.

I agree I would much rather have Kauai than Astoria, but I do like Astoria as well.  Have been there twice on cruises and had a great time.  They have a really nice Maritime Museum within walking distance as well as a cute downtown.

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I also wish there were options for 14 night Caribbean cruises like there used to be.

My dream itinerary would be a collection of all of the Caribbean sailings into one. Overnights in some of the ports and maybe a nice 21-28 night cruise. I know I can B2B2B and achieve this same cruise but not coming back to MIA or FLL would it a much better trip.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We're on this cruise also.

I thought the Astoria port thing was  odd port and agree, your option would be much better! I expect there is some reasoning to having Astoria in there though. 🤔

Overnight in Honolulu would have my supercharged vote, but sadly I expect it is only a dream. 😋

Solstice docks in Hawaii after a cruise from Vancouver -- 2023 and 2024 in September.  Sadly no Kauai.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, Chardonnay Char said:

Solstice docks in Hawaii after a cruise from Vancouver -- 2023 and 2024 in September.  Sadly no Kauai.

We're on the Sept. 23 sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii, which is home for us.  Kauai has a small dock and would require tendering.  Probably wouldn't be worth the stop for the short time the ship could spend there.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, rodndonna said:

That could be it. Refueling in a US (non-Hawaiin) port would likely be cheaper than Vancouver.

Don;t you have to have a foriegn port stop before re-entering American ports?

On 5/6/2023 at 10:13 AM, bebe08 said:

We are on the same cruise.  It was originally a 12 night cruise departing on Sep 21.  Due to scheduling issues with the port of Vancouver, it was changed to 13 nights departing Sep 20.  When we found out we had our fingers crossed we would get an extra night in Hawaii.  When we found out Astoria was added we were disappointed, mostly because the cruise was now going to cost us an extra roughly $800 for the extra day, which we hadn't signed up for. We were given the option to cancel with no penalty.  Bonus for us was we were actually onboard the Edge on a Caribbean cruise when we found out.  So we cancelled and rebooked and got the additional OBC for booking on board.   Will be our first trip to Hawaii (and to Astoria 😉 ) so all is good!

There is a roll call for our cruise if you are interested in joining.  There was some discussion on the date/itinerary change.  Here is the link:

Since the cruise was changed to start a day earlier, they really couldn’t have added a day to the Hawaiian portion without rescheduling every port stop.  Quite likely that wasn’t feasible.

• Like 1

Pre covid my wife and I were on a cruise that stopped at Astoria and I remember sitting in the main dining room when the ship started to rock a little. Some time soon thereafter my wife indicated to me that we better get back to the stateroom now! Needless to say she was seasick all night. Apparently, the mouth of the Columbia river is renowned for being quite rough. And as far as Astoria goes I wouldn’t bother getting off the ship either unless you just want a good walk. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, bebe08 said:

You had an existing booking and Celebrity elected to change your fare because an extra night was added?

On 5/6/2023 at 7:13 AM, bebe08 said:

When we found out Astoria was added we were disappointed, mostly because the cruise was now going to cost us an extra roughly $800 for the extra day

That makes no sense. Once you've booked the cruise, they should not charge any additional for the extra stop. We had a 5-day become a 7-day with no additional charge.